2018 Vegas Summer League - All 30 Teams

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
http://www.nba.com/kings/blog/kings-play-2018-nba-summer-league

It appears that for the first time, all 30 teams will be represented at the Vegas Summer League this year. *mind blown*

Typically in the past 23-24 NBA teams have participated, with teams that are not party to the Vegas Summer League usually participating in the Orlando Summer League. I haven't heard, but this might suggest that the Orlando league may not happen this year.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
There was a report late last year that the Orlando Magic were cancelling the Orlando Summer League. I don't remember what the reason was, but it makes sense that they would just lump everybody into Vegas now. That also makes it easier for everybody who cares about this kind of thing -- all the prospects in one place at the same time.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Some thoughts on the (as yet unannounced) logistics of this:

In the past, the VSL has been 11 days long, and featured 63 total games. We are told this year the league is 12 days long and features 82 total games. Again, like last time around, each team will play three round-robin games and then have a minimum of two games in the tournament portion of the league.

This means that there will be 45 round-robin games (up from 36), and 37 tournament games (up from 27).

I assume that the round-robin games will be played over 6 days instead of 5. Previously the pattern of games per day was [6,8,8,8,6]. This year the pattern will have to be some combination of either [7,7,7,8,8,8] or [6,7,8,8,8,8]. I might guess the former.

The tournament is harder to guess. I'm having trouble making it work out with the number of games...

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
OK, I think I've got it, for the tournament portion. There will be only two teams with byes to the second round.

Day 7: 7 first-round games, winners move to quarterfinals, losers go to consolation game.
Day 8: 7 first-round games, winners move to quarterfinals, losers go to consolation game.
Day 9: 8 second-round games. Two games will feature the two bye teams in two "A" games against two winners from Days 7/8 (based on seeding). The remaining 12 winners from Day 7/8 will play each other in six "B" games. The losers of the "A" games will move to the consolation game. The losers of the "B" games are finished. Winners move to the Quarterfinals.
Day 10: Quarterfinals (4 games) + 4 consolation games.
Day 11: Semifinals (2 games) + 4 consolation games.
Day 12: Finals.

That's 37 games, each team guaranteed two games. So that's my guess how it's going to run.

OK, I think I've got it, for the tournament portion. There will be only two teams with byes to the second round.

Day 7: 7 first-round games, winners move to quarterfinals, losers go to consolation game.
Day 8: 7 first-round games, winners move to quarterfinals, losers go to consolation game.
Day 9: 8 second-round games. Two games will feature the two bye teams in two "A" games against two winners from Days 7/8 (based on seeding). The remaining 12 winners from Day 7/8 will play each other in six "B" games. The losers of the "A" games will move to the consolation game. The losers of the "B" games are finished. Winners move to the Quarterfinals.
Day 10: Quarterfinals (4 games) + 4 consolation games.
Day 11: Semifinals (2 games) + 4 consolation games.
Day 12: Finals.

That's 37 games, each team guaranteed two games. So that's my guess how it's going to run.
AND ONE!

Sorry I had to :D

I'm looking to go to the Vegas Summer League for the first time this summer and have some questions for you Summer League vets.

How much are tickets to the games? Do tickets get you into a session of games or are games ticketed individually? Are seats assigned or is it pretty much open seating, first come first serve? How accessible are the players? Are you able to get autographs/selfies? What is the travel time from the Strip to the venue?

Any other pearls you all might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'm looking to go to the Vegas Summer League for the first time this summer and have some questions for you Summer League vets.

How much are tickets to the games? Do tickets get you into a session of games or are games ticketed individually? Are seats assigned or is it pretty much open seating, first come first serve? How accessible are the players? Are you able to get autographs/selfies? What is the travel time from the Strip to the venue?

Any other pearls you all might have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Ticket prices have been steadily rising (but only slightly) over the last few years. I think a one-day ticket at the box office should be about $30 at this point, $35 this year wouldn't shock me. Games are not ticketed individually, instead you buy a single admission ticket each day and you may attend all games on that day. The online service fees are pretty outrageous considering the ticket prices, I think last year they were about $12+ per ticket. So I would recommend buying at the box office - yes, there's a "danger" of a sell out but I don't think it has ever actually happened. Unless you're there for the first weekend (Fri-Sun are the most crowded days) I would just count on buying tickets at the box office. I usually buy all my tickets at once the first day I'm there, because I'm in Vegas to do Summer League. I know folks who buy on a day-to-day basis and take days off as they feel like it, going to shows or whatnot. You can generally be flexible like that if you want.

Typically, there are 6-8 games a day, played in two connected venues (there is a hallway/concession space between the two), which means you can see 3-4 full games a day, or hop back and forth and get chunks of up to 8 games. Seating is open, first-come-first-served, though courtside seating is reserved, and very expensive. By this I mean literal courtside - maybe the first row or two of the "permanent" seats on the sideline and of course the folding chairs courtside are reserved and the rest is open seating. You really want to sit 6-10 rows up anyway, you get a better overall view in my opinion. Doors open about an hour before the first game, and you can easily grab very good seats if you're at least 30 minutes early, particularly in the large venue (Thomas&Mack). Even so, you can almost always find seats somewhere in the lower bowl of T&M, the only exception is for Lakers games, and with the Lakers not having a draft pick this year, attendance may be down a bit (I'm such an optimist!). The smaller venue (Cox) will fill up from time to time, and they will hold you at the door until people leave, so if there's a game you are really interested in going on in Cox, you need to plan accordingly. Keep in mind that almost everybody comes to see the top prospects, and they all agree on who those are, so if you want to see a game, everybody else probably does too.

I have not tried to get autographs/selfies from the players. I don't believe you are allowed to bother them on the benches or right after the game as they head back to the locker facilities, but many of them can be seen cruising the hallways. I do hear that players tend to be pretty open to fans in the hallways, but typically when I see them I just let them go by with a nod at most. I did run into Scott Moak last year and, kind of surprised, said, "Oh hey, it's Scott Moak!" and he actually initiated a nice two-minute conversation, super nice guy. There are definitely scheduled autograph signings for specific players, usually say first-round picks, but the lines for these seem substantial.

Travel time from the Strip to the venue wouldn't be bad unless you hit traffic on the Strip. It depends on where you stay. UNLV is on Tropicana, maybe a half mile from where Tropicana hits the Strip. From that intersection, it's literally like three minutes to the parking lot unless you hit all the lights. I tend to stay in the old Downtown section of Vegas (north of the Strip). From there I actually prefer taking one of the back streets to avoid freeway/Strip traffic, and that drive is like 15 minutes or so. I think the real secret, if you stay on the Strip, would be to either stay near Tropicana, or get east from the Strip first thing rather than try to fight through the Strip itself. Then you can approach from the back side and miss all the traffic (there's even a nice "secret" back entrance to the parking lot). Oh, and best of all, parking is free!

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'm all in for eliminating the Orlando Summer League and having all 30 teams participate in the SL in Vegas, ought to make for some decent entertainment from a prospect perspective

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
Well, the actual schedule is released, and it's not exactly what I expected:

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/12/2018-summer-league-schedule-official-release

I thought that due to the additional round-robin games required, the NBA would increase the number of round-robin days. Nope. Instead, the first four days feature 10 (!!) games apiece, and the fifth day features only 5. (This is a bizarre distribution in my opinion.)

In the round robin, the Kings will play:
Saturday July 7, 4:30 PM, vs. Phoenix (ESPN, in T&M) [Note: this is perhaps the marquee matchup of the league, with #1 facing #2]
Sunday July 8, 8:00 PM, vs. LA Clippers (NBATV, in Cox)
Tuesday July 10, 3:30 PM, vs. Memphis (ESPN2, in T&M)

Following the five days of the round robin there will be seven days of tournament. The top two teams will get a bye to a second-round (R2) game.

Wednesday July 11 will feature 8 R1 games. (16 teams, 8 losers play consolation, 6 winners play Saturday, 2 winners play Thursday)
Thursday July 12 will feature 6 R1 games and 2 R2 games. (2 bye teams play 2 winners from Thursday in R2, 12 teams play in R1, all 8 losers play consolation, R2 winners move to quarterfinals, R1 winners play Saturday)
Friday July 13 will feature 8 consolation games
Saturday July 14 will feature the remaining 6 R2 games
Sunday July 15 will be the quarterfinals
Monday July 16 will be the semifinals
Tuesday July 17will be the championship

I have brought this up a while ago, but if you guys want some coverage on media (photo/video), I'm a photographer located in Vegas and I wouldn't mind representing Kingsfans.com and get a closer look at Doncic... (or whoever we pick, I guess)