[Game] Kings @ Pelicans (Play-In Tournament) - 4/19 6:30PM PDT/9:30 PM EDT

I think this squad showed a lot of fight and improvement over these last few weeks but just didn’t have enough firepower to execute the vision. No, Monk wouldn’t been some magical potion, but i do believe we’d have that 6th seed with him healthy. We’ll never know but i am hyped for this offseason because i trust Monte and front office already and we’ve made a lot of great discoveries down the stretch IMO.
And don't forget Huerter, who's by far the most versatile 3-point shooter they have. Easy to lament the Kings' reliance on the 3-bal on a night like tonight, but that is the way they were built, and it's all about building around Fox and Domas offensively. Given that, losing Monk AND Huerter down the stretch is just rough.

Why? There’s no loyalty in the NBA. I’m not a fan of Kevin Huerter, but look at how he went from a fan favorite to getting trashed all over Twitter while getting floated in trade rumors the second he started struggling. Monk should do what’s best in his interest and not the Kings
People need to follow their heart and Monk has made a sh1t ton of money thus far so he should just follow his heart

For me, knocking off the Warriors went a long way.

Had the Warriors been a barely .500 team this season and the Kings way worse than I wouldn’t care…but Kings were nearly identical record wise short a couple key players, and the Warriors were 2 games better than last season.

It really felt like a continuation from last postseason and the Kings setting it right against a team I felt they were better than last season. Ultimately both teams were eliminated just like last season. So for
me that is a strong consolation to an otherwise disappointing season.

Somehow disappointed because I think the Kings matchup well with the Thunder but they better team went on.

I had built up some optimism but deep down had no reason to think the Kings were going to win this game.

A team beats you 5 times handily in the season. Chances are they’ll beat you the 6th time.

In the NFL, I’m not really a believer of the “you don’t want to a play a team you already beat two times easily a third time”…nah, chances are you’ll beat them again.

I would say the same for a 5-0 regular season. Kings weren’t going to crack that code in less than 2 weeks after it last shown to be too much for them.

Domas and Fox played well. Barnes played himself in the game. The defensive energy was good mostly through the first half but the Kings failed to capitalize on slowing down the Pelicans early.

This was a game they needed to build a big early lead and couldn’t do it. Running theme of the season with the Pelicans. Outside of their length and shutting down the Kings offense…is the bench play. Once it went to the benches the Kings lost control of the game and never got it back.

Kings need to balance their roster and every move this offseason will need to be approached with length, speed, and athleticism in mind.

Kings also need another 20+ scoring threat. I’m not writing off Keegan for that role full time just because he stunk tonight but most guys don’t fully hit their stride until near the start of their second contract anyway..but just in case, the Kings need another guy who can create his own shot.

Also, I hope we don’t ask the Hawks to take the draft pick anyway so we have something to look forward to

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

Were you in a coma for the better part of the last 20 years or something because this season still is like the third most enjoyable season we’ve had behind last year and the Scores year?
I'm not qualified to speak on what other people should find enjoyable, but it is, factually, the seventh-best season in the Sacramento era of the franchise, and the 14-best since leaving Cincinnati**.

**I'd just like to take this time to post as a reminder that the Kings left Cincinnati before I was born, and I'm almost fifty.

Why? There’s no loyalty in the NBA. I’m not a fan of Kevin Huerter, but look at how he went from a fan favorite to getting trashed all over Twitter while getting floated in trade rumors the second he started struggling. Monk should do what’s best in his interest and not the Kings
Klay may hold the keys to Monk’s destination. If the Warriors are serious about running it back then the market for Monk in a weak free agent class might get juicy. I do wonder what a contract could look for him though. Kuzma is likely considered the better player at a premium position and he only got 4/90.

I think this squad showed a lot of fight and improvement over these last few weeks but just didn’t have enough firepower to execute the vision. No, Monk wouldn’t been some magical potion, but i do believe we’d have that 6th seed with him healthy. We’ll never know but i am hyped for this offseason because i trust Monte and front office already and we’ve made a lot of great discoveries down the stretch IMO.
Well Said!

Klay may hold the keys to Monk’s destination. If the Warriors are serious about running it back then the market for Monk in a weak free agent class might get juicy. I do wonder what a contract could look for him though. Kuzma is likely considered the better player at a premium position and he only got 4/90.
Warriors are not resigning Klay. His ship has literally sailed.

2 things I’m frustrated with Mike Brown about, his inability to seemingly come up with any sort of different game plan against these Pels and his lack of running plays to go after opponents that have foul trouble. That being said, he has done a nice job here and deserves another shot. This team is not built for a championship yet. Your turn monte.

MB gambled on threatening to take Huerter out of the starting lineup. It didn’t go well Huerter is a bit soft and it crushed his confidence. He was snakebit all year. One of the many weird MB personnel decisions. If he just started Monk, Kev would have understood but Duarte, felt like an insult. Maybe, coach was feeling himself too much this year. He still pulled out a winning season despite missteps.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I'm not qualified to speak on what other people should find enjoyable, but it is, factually, the seventh-best season in the Sacramento era of the franchise, and the 14-best since leaving Cincinnati**.

**I'd just like to take this time to post as a reminder that the Kings left Cincinnati before I was born, and I'm almost fifty.
I meant in the span of the last twenty years but even by full Sacramento era standards, I think I’d still take this over the Nick Anderson experience season and the Mobley season for sure. Also the Artest/Bonzi season was fun in the second half of the year but the pre-trade part of the year was absolutely awful.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You're not being very fair in expectations.

That was an Adelman team with a lot of playoff tested holdovers and new playoff tested players.
Also, it should be said, the Bonzi/RonRon take turns running their butts into their defenders offense wasn’t exactly aesthetically pleasing after what came before.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
This is was one of the most boring offenses I've seen. It was entirely predictable, and there was no growth at all.
I will say that at times I agree with you on this. Last year it seemed there were more cuts, more options, more reads, and better results. I thought we took a step back this year offensively and it confuses me as to why....

Our bench 12 points for entire game
Lyles 13 min 0 pts
Mitchell 24 min 10 pts
Sasha 10 min 2 pts

Their bench 34 points…

Our bench just didn’t cut it tonight whatsoever. It was just a hard, sad game to watch… BUT to get here remember we put the GSW to bed and kept them out of the play offs which hasn’t happened to them in years.

Yes I’m flipping the negative to a positive and can’t wait for next year.

I will say that at times I agree with you on this. Last year it seemed there were more cuts, more options, more reads, and better results. I thought we took a step back this year offensively and it confuses me as to why....
Thank you. I thought Monte put pieces together that had the potential to really grow. Individual players took steps forward but as a team we took a major step back. Fox, Domas, Keegan, and Monk all had excellent excellent seasons. How is it that our four best players all improve, have career years, but we stall out and regress as a team?

Early on in the season I wondered what was going on. We had abandoned a fair bit of the offense from last year but didn't seem to replace it with something better. Was last year a gimmick that the league figured out and we just didn't have anything else in the bag? That's the best I can figure.

Mike Brown rode his dogs tonight for sure. But he tried to put them in position to succeed. For instance, Keegan was getting shut down by Trey Murphy, so Brown was trying to stagger him in when Murphy was not on the court. It didn't work. We got out played because our players weren't up to the challenge of their defense. Our bench got slaughtered by their bench. This offseason is really on Monte and his staff to address the bench as well as players like Keegan to take the next step. Our starters weren't the problem, albeit Fox had to try to do too much and didn't have Monk next to him going ham (like we did last gear against GS, we need to resign Monk and that should be our top priority).

I think we still had a lot of motion in our offense from what I saw. But there obviously was a stronger emphasis on pulling the 3pt trigger if it was available. Our 3pt usage is much higher than last year. Against the Pels, they neutralize a lot of that motion which makes our over reliance on 3s even more magnified. They also played us straight up so there aren’t many open 3s to begin with

Thank you. I thought Monte put pieces together that had the potential to really grow. Individual players took steps forward but as a team we took a major step back. Fox, Domas, Keegan, and Monk all had excellent excellent seasons. How is it that our four best players all improve, have career years, but we stall out and regress as a team?

Early on in the season I wondered what was going on. We had abandoned a fair bit of the offense from last year but didn't seem to replace it with something better. Was last year a gimmick that the league figured out and we just didn't have anything else in the bag? That's the best I can figure.
Keegan didn't. That's what you are tripping on. Look at his BS tonight. Murphy out it on him. He can't let that happen. He had 32 last game. If he had even 28 tonight it's a different story.

Warriors are not resigning Klay. His ship has literally sailed.
The front office said they want and expect him back. The GM told him that and the press the next day after our game. Now if Orlando comes with a big offer maybe he moves on. Only other fit would be the Sixers. He isn’t going to sign with a rebuilding team.

Keegan didn't. That's what you are tripping on. Look at his BS tonight. Murphy out it on him. He can't let that happen. He had 32 last game. If he had even 28 tonight it's a different story.
Keegan Murray took a major step forward as a player this year, especially on the defensive end - which few saw coming. He's borderline All-NBA defensive team. Have a limoncello and relax my friend.