Potential of NBA market in India (split)

Another thing to consider is who did they submit the bid to? Maloofs? The NBA?

Is there even time for another bid to get in by the BOG meetings? If there is time enough for one more bid wouldn't they advise Sacramento of this and get the cash from Vivek? (he could write a check for the different he had said in the past).

Vivek is looking at this from a India POV. His money making ability for this team in India will far surpass what they could get for just the Seattle area. We are comparing a couple million to over a billion people. It turns India in essence to Kings territory. Jerseys, memorbilia, sponsorship... All from India is greater than the same three (memorbilia, jerseys, sponsorship) from just Seattle. I would even argue that Sacramento is pretty much on Seattles level for all three, but add India inthere and it's not even a contest.
I'm not sure why Indians are going to root for one NBA team over another, perhaps if Sacramento drafts an Indian player then maybe India becomes Kings territory. There are other professional sports teams in America owned by foreign investors that aren't popular in that owners home nation. There are English Premier teams owned by Americans that have next to no major profile in America. I don't quite understand the argument that an Indian owner will make people in India root for the Kings, Ranadive is one of many Indian businessman who could make the NBA brand big in India, but it doesn't make it Kings territory.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I'm not sure why Indians are going to root for one NBA team over another, perhaps if Sacramento drafts an Indian player then maybe India becomes Kings territory. There are other professional sports teams in America owned by foreign investors that aren't popular in that owners home nation. There are English Premier teams owned by Americans that have next to no major profile in America. I don't quite understand the argument that an Indian owner will make people in India root for the Kings, Ranadive is one of many Indian businessman who could make the NBA brand big in India, but it doesn't make it Kings territory.
It's simple you root for what you see. If you see more than one team then it's identification. But if Kings games are broadcast in Mumbai, the most popular NBA team in Mumbai will be the Kings hands down.

It's simple you root for what you see. If you see more than one team then it's identification. But if Kings games are broadcast in Mumbai, the most popular NBA team in Mumbai will be the Kings hands down.

I'd have to agree with hoopster that I would hardly expect to see little kids in India, where basketball is very much a secondary sport, sporting Demarcus Cousins jerseys just because Vivek owns the largest slice of the franchise.. although it is a good potential point in our favor (the market)

Interesting that its been over half a day and still no official, unilateral spin on Hansen raising the offer.. Does the contract have a clause in it that it can be raised? Is it code for the other 6% of the team? Is it to be paid after the deal? Will we match if we have to? Do we have to? How does this change the favorability of the votes? I've been looking at twitter, Dave, Bruski, Ziller,KJ, Graswich, Breton etc., the boards, I still can't make out the reaction

-edit- didn't know that hoopster was a Seattle guy, who was probably banned already.

Last edited:

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
For folks wondering about selling the NBA in India I suggest they dig up an old copy of "The Coke-a-Coal Kid" Seriously selling USA is easy they already SEE the jerseys being worn in the Media, now we show them the game and the games being shown are Kings games, "For-get-about-it" the gear will fly off the shelves.

Originally Posted by Gary
Another thing to consider is who did they submit the bid to? Maloofs? The NBA?

Is there even time for another bid to get in by the BOG meetings? If there is time enough for one more bid wouldn't they advise Sacramento of this and get the cash from Vivek? (he could write a check for the different he had said in the past).

Vivek is looking at this from a India POV. His money making ability for this team in India will far surpass what they could get for just the Seattle area. We are comparing a couple million to over a billion people. It turns India in essence to Kings territory. Jerseys, memorbilia, sponsorship... All from India is greater than the same three (memorbilia, jerseys, sponsorship) from just Seattle. I would even argue that Sacramento is pretty much on Seattles level for all three, but add India inthere and it's not even a contest.
It's not merely that an Indian person owns a team, and therefore people in India want to root for that team. That simple fact might be part of it, but it would be a small factor. What we have here is an owner with the vision, desire, revolutionary business ideas, and a full compliment of some of the most tech savvy people in the world that are his close friends and business associates (he's known Jacobs family since he was a kid out of MIT) that he has personally recruited to be part of his dream to globalize the NBA for the 21st century. I would recommend going back and watching all of Vivek's recent interviews on this subject. He talks about basketball as the global sport for the 21st century, the same way soccer was for the 20th. He cites that it is played by boys and girls, indoors or outdoors, in small groups or one on one, etc.

So it's not just Indians rooting for one of their own. The benefit of Vivek being Indian is it will lead to business connections in India which will help to promote the sport. But the main factor is Vivek's vision and skills. This is not just a guy with deep pockets like Hansen (/Ballmer), this is a guy who has articulated the future of the NBA.

Posted by whozit
Oh, I'm sure more than Gary has been reading your posts. The only thing that could be of contention is how important is the Indian market (or any other foreign market) to the Bucks, Pacers, Wizards or any other owner. Does it have much current relevancy to them? I don't have the answer to that.
The above answer's whozit's question a bit, but to elaborate: You can think of it kind of like today's NFL. Many people are NFL fans, and there are many people who don't have a team near them, but have simply picked one to root for, for one reason or another. The whole world is getting smaller. Think of what it will be like in 20-30 years. That's what Vivek is preparing for, and even helping to create. The NBA will be a global sport, even more than Euroleague soccer, mostly due to the digital age promotion and social media promotion capabilities of vested owners like Vivek and his group. It will be a "rising tide raises all boats" effect. Probably most Indians will end up being Kings fans, the way a lot of podunk towns have fans for the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Heat, etc., but you'll have people from all over the globe picking teams to root for. Bangladesh could be Timberwolves country for example. You may think this sounds absurd, but I guarantee you this is exactly what the NBA is thinking and planning, and probably has been turned on to to a greater degree by Vivek.

--

Here's another future-ism idea: We know that sponsorship on jersey's is coming. Well, why would American advertisers be interested promoting their product in India? Well, those viewers won't be seeing American brands on jerseys. Technology will be created that will allow superimposition on moving digital images of different sponsors/brands in different global markets. Viewers of games televised in India could see players in Kings jerseys with Indian brands on them, digitally imposed during the broadcast (similar to how NFL marks first down lines on a screen). You could even break it down further than by country, and have it by region, city, or even by viewer, depending on the demographics and purchasing history of that particular viewer.

It'll either go this direction, or there will be the development of more global brands. I see the former much more likely.

Last edited:
But if the NBA wants to expand its profile into India why don't they showcase Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, etc? It doesn't make sense to showcase the Kings unless they become a very very good NBA team.

Soccer has growing interest in America, but its because people like rooting for good teams and watching the world's best players like Messi, Ronaldo, Van Persie, Bale, Iniesta, etc. Aston Villa are owned by Randy Lerner but you don't see anyone who doesn't have ties to Birmingham, UK care one bit about their team in America. And the sports media doesn't expect fans to pay attention to Aston Villa. The only way the Kings become big in India is if there is an Indian player who plays for Sacramento or if the Kings become an elite team in the NBA.

The above answer's whozit's question a bit, but to elaborate: You can think of it kind of like today's NFL. Many people are NFL fans, and there are many people who don't have a team near them, but have simply picked one to root for, for one reason or another. The whole world is getting smaller. Think of what it will be like in 20-30 years. That's what Vivek is preparing for, and even helping to create. The NBA will be a global sport, even more than Euroleague soccer, mostly due to the digital age promotion and social media promotion capabilities of vested owners like Vivek and his group. It will be a "rising tide raises all boats" effect. Probably most Indians will end up being Kings fans, the way a lot of podunk towns have fans for the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Heat, etc., but you'll have people from all over the globe picking teams to root for. Bangladesh could be Timberwolves country for example. You may think this sounds absurd, but I guarantee you this is exactly what the NBA is thinking and planning, and probably has been turned on to to a greater degree by Vivek.
I have a hard time believing professional basketball gets anywhere close to touching the global popularity of Champions League soccer.

Last edited:
I have a hard time believing professional basketball gets anywhere close to touching the global popularity of Champions League soccer.
It doesn't. Which is exactly why I said will be, if you care to read. Which is also exactly why you have people like Vivek in it ahead of the curve, where there is the most money to be made.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Unless the the ownership surrenders TV rights they own the live broadcast. The first team to make a deal to broadcast THEIR games in Inda will have he big impact... NBA gets the free ride on that one. Of course if the NBA wants to bring the NBA TV deal that would be their own business.

NFL can never be a global sport. Too violent, and requires too much equipment. Baseball requires too many people. Basketball is the most marketable from a recreational point of view, and from a viewership point of view.

I'm sorry but your idea that countries will pick and choose NBA teams and root for that one team is absolutely absurd, thats not the way human behavior works. People almost always pick teams to root for that win a lot because it makes people happy to choose a team that wins. If the NBA's plan is to showcase a mediocre product to the world than its a strategy bound to fail. You showcase the premier talent of the NBA, the reason people root for the Lakers, Celtics, and Heat is because they are teams that consistently are the best teams in the NBA. Thats what people want to watch, the best teams, with the best players.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
It doesn't. Which is exactly why I said will be, if you care to read. Which is also exactly why you have people like Vivek in it ahead of the curve, where there is the most money to be made.
I don't see the NBA catching Euro soccer and especially the Champions League in our lifetime unless something completely unforeseen happens. Far too much history there along with tradition. The revenue, attendance, tv ratings, fan support, it just doesn't compare. NBA isn't even in the same class.

I'm sorry but your idea that countries will pick and choose NBA teams and root for that one team is absolutely absurd, thats not the way human behavior works. People almost always pick teams to root for that win a lot because it makes people happy to choose a team that wins. If the NBA's plan is to showcase a mediocre product to the world than its a strategy bound to fail. You showcase the premier talent of the NBA, the reason people root for the Lakers, Celtics, and Heat is because they are teams that consistently are the best teams in the NBA. Thats what people want to watch, the best teams, with the best players.
It won't be countries picking teams. It will be people picking teams. And, yes, I agree that it will likely be the best teams that garner the most fans. But another factor is who will be marketed to. People aren't just Laker, Knick, Heat fans because they win. It's also in part because they see them the most on national broadcasts and ESPN (because of promotional deals those franchises have made).

But, you are partially correct, and your statement actually supports my point.

I don't see the NBA catching Euro soccer and especially the Champions League in our lifetime unless something completely unforeseen happens. Far too much history there along with tradition. The revenue, attendance, tv ratings, fan support, it just doesn't compare. NBA isn't even in the same class.
Give it fifty years. NBA owners are building fortunes for their children and grandchildren. Also, things happen faster in the digital age.

Also, you're still talking in present tense. See bolded terms. I'm talking future.

Last edited:
It won't be countries picking teams. It will be people picking teams. And, yes, I agree that it will likely be the best teams that garner the most fans. But another factor is who will be marketed to. People aren't just Laker, Knick, Heat fans because they win. It's also in part because they see them the most on national broadcasts and ESPN (because of promotional deals those franchises have made).

But, you are partially correct, and your statement actually supports my point.
But the reason why the Lakers, Knicks and Heat are consistently broadcasted more is because they are either the best team or have a global brand. Again, human behavior is quite predictable, Michael Jordan was a global superstar because he was the best and people loved him. But when the Bulls became a bad team nobody worldwide cared about the Bulls anymore. People in Japan or France weren't showing off their Eddy Curry and Kirk Hinrich jerseys in 2002 in anticipation for the Bulls being good that season. People who have no ties to Sacramento or any team will root for the best teams or will root for the best players, thats how it will always be. So again my original point that the Kings being owned by an Indian has next to no effect on the Indian market. Ranadive can be valuable to the NBA in growing the NBA product. But for the Kings, its just irrelevant that he has ties to India, Indians wont care about Sacramento unless they have reason to, which is an Indian player or being an elite team.

Bennett was approved of the Sonics because it was a carefully crafted plan to deceit the city, state, and media that the NBA "tried" to keep the team. Ellison just wanted to move the team, if an owner came into Seattle and openly said he was moving, there probably would have been a significant backlash, and momentum to keep the team in Seattle, like what Sacramento is now doing to keep the Kings. It was the deceitfulness, which is what Stern wanted in the first place, that allowed the team to be sold for a lower valuation.
The current Sacramento owners tried to move the team to Anaheim. The city responded, illustrating the ability to find additional sponsorship from the community, as well as the will and ability to build a new arena.

When Clay Bennett bought the Sonics and then filed for relocation, Seattle did not respond as the city of Sacramento did. Seattle may cry deceit but its actions do not rival those that Sacramento has produced.

If the Hansen group is throwing an extra 25 million on to their already very high offer/ valuation, it would suggest they were not confident the vote would have gone their way. We obviously don't know how the league, the Sacramento group, or the other owners will respond, but it does suggest strong support for Sacramento amongst the BOG.

Give it fifty years. NBA owners are building fortunes for their children and grandchildren. Also, things happen faster in the digital age.

Also, you're still talking in present tense. See bolded terms. I'm talking future.
I say you have to go to Europe, or South America, or even Asia and see for yourself how immensely popular soccer is. Nothing the NBA does can change that, its culturally ingrained in these countries and thats not changing. When you grow up impoverished in Brazil, you learn to love soccer because you learn to master the ability to kick a tin can against a wall. Its just the easiest sport to play and to learn.

Didn't you forget about the Serbian influx of fans we had when Vlade and Peja were here? Or better yet, the owner of the Nets has had a boatload of support from Russia. Google the Nets, Russia and Mikhail Prokhorov and take a look at all the support they are getting.

Damn.. just realized you're a Seattle guy...

Well, you obviously do not know much about the NBA and you probably have no idea what happened to the Kings when we had the Serbian connection going on. All of Serbia were Kings fans. That was even before Social networking. If Vivek plays this right then there is no end to what the Kings can bring to India..

India and Sacramento >>>>>>>>>> Seattle. Hell I would even say Sacramento > Seattle.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

I'm not talking present tense at all. The NBA will not surpass Euro soccer in our lifetimes unless something unforeseen happens. That's not present tense at all. What, you don't think Middle Eastern and Russian soccer owners with oil money aren't building fortunes either? You don't think the digital age helps soccer too?

Didn't you forget about the Serbian influx of fans we had when Vlade and Peja were here? Or better yet, the owner of the Nets has had a boatload of support from Russia. Google the Nets, Russia and Mikhail Prokhorov and take a look at all the support they are getting.
That was because of Vlade and Peja were Serbian, of course people are going to like players from their home country. But Ranadive isn't going to be on the floor shooting threes. Of course the Kings would be popular in India if they had an Indian player.

Show me some statistics or some articles about Prokhorov, I looked it up in Google and nothing came up that indicated Russians were more inclined to like the Nets because of Prokhorov.

NFL can never be a global sport. Too violent, and requires too much equipment. Baseball requires too many people. Basketball is the most marketable from a recreational point of view, and from a viewership point of view.
The NFL will never be popular internationally as you have to watch four hours of programme to see 15 minutes of football. It is like the sport was designed by advertising agencies.

whether or not the kings become popular in India is beside the point. Having an owner who is a business man from India, who understands the culture and the psyche of the people offers benefit to all owners.

Houston Rockets?

But the reason why the Lakers, Knicks and Heat are consistently broadcasted more is because they are either the best team or have a global brand. Again, human behavior is quite predictable, Michael Jordan was a global superstar because he was the best and people loved him. But when the Bulls became a bad team nobody worldwide cared about the Bulls anymore. People in Japan or France weren't showing off their Eddy Curry and Kirk Hinrich jerseys in 2002 in anticipation for the Bulls being good that season. People who have no ties to Sacramento or any team will root for the best teams or will root for the best players, thats how it will always be. So again my original point that the Kings being owned by an Indian has next to no effect on the Indian market. Ranadive can be valuable to the NBA in growing the NBA product. But for the Kings, its just irrelevant that he has ties to India, Indians wont care about Sacramento unless they have reason to, which is an Indian player or being an elite team.
Not even sure how to respond to this. If you don't think Vivek is going to be broadcasting KINGS games in India, and therefore the KINGS getting Indian fans, (and also investing to builld a winning product), I don't know what your'e smoking, but I'd like some.

Of course he'll also help built the NBA brand. And the Kings brand. He's said exactly as much in interviews. He wants to make the Kings a global brand. I may be a complete idiot, but I have to assume he knows that requires two things: making the Kings good, and marketing them.

You talk about it like he he's trying to fly to the moon with a carboard rocketship.

Oh, huh... looks like I did know how to respond to that.

Last edited:
That was because of Vlade and Peja were Serbian, of course people are going to like players from their home country. But Ranadive isn't going to be on the floor shooting threes. Of course the Kings would be popular in India if they had an Indian player.

Show me some statistics or some articles about Prokhorov, I looked it up in Google and nothing came up that indicated Russians were more inclined to like the Nets because of Prokhorov.
Ok now you're just shoving your head in the sand and deliberately ignoring what we are trying to show you. IT'S NOT SIMPLY ABOUT VIVEK BEING INDIAN AND INDIANS WATCHING ONE OF THEIR OWN.

It's about him wanting to actively promote the sport in India and having the ties, tech skills, money, fellow ownership group, and vision to do so.

I'm not talking present tense at all. The NBA will not surpass Euro soccer in our lifetimes unless something unforeseen happens. That's not present tense at all. What, you don't think Middle Eastern and Russian soccer owners with oil money aren't building fortunes either? You don't think the digital age helps soccer too?
I'm sure they are. But I'd wager Vivek and his ownership group have the advantage because they basically invented the digital age. Vivek is like the Micheal Jordan of using technology and information to not only solve business problems but anticipate them. Do some homework on the guy. Have you watched the video I posted of his lecture?

Not even sure how to respond to this. If you don't think Vivek is going to be broadcasting KINGS games in India, and therefore the KINGS getting Indian fans, (and also investing to builld a winning product), I don't know what your'e smoking, but I'd like some.

Of course he'll also help built the NBA brand. And the Kings brand. He's said exactly as much in interviews. He wants to make the Kings a global brand. I'm may be a complete idiot, but I have to assume he knows that requires two things: making the Kings good, and marketing them.

You talk about it like he he's trying to fly to the moon with a carboard rocketship.

Why do people in India care about a 28-51 Kings team? Nobody in India cares that the Kings are owned by an Indian. Again I come back to my point, is ESPN showing every weekend the 16th placed Aston Villa team because they are owned by an America? Are you an Aston Villa fan because they are owned by Randy Lerner?

If the Kings become good then thats a different story, if the NBA aspires to be popular in India, then it has to showcase their best players or their best teams (which is usually hand in hand) and that comes by putting on TV Lebron James, Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony, Derrick Rose, etc. Thats what will build the brand. Not showcasing a mediocre team in a foreign country.

Ok now you're just shoving your head in the sand and deliberately ignoring what we are trying to show you. IT'S NOT SIMPLY ABOUT VIVEK BEING INDIAN AND INDIANS WATCHING ONE OF THEIR OWN.

It's about him wanting to actively promote the sport in India and having the ties, tech skills, money, fellow ownership group, and vision to do so.
It comes down to demand. Its simply economics my friend, he may have all of that but it doesn't matter if the Kings aren't a good team. Nobody in India will care about the Sacramento Kings, there simply is no demand in India to watch night after night a mediocre NBA team because its owned by an Indian, I will guarantee you this. But again if Ranadive builds a good product on the court then its a different story, but that has to do with the TEAM being good. The nationality of the owner is completely irrelevant.

Agreed. Vivek undoubtedly has the knowledge and the tools to help push the NBA in India. Whether having an Indian owner would benefit the Kings popularity is not the point. If he can help the NBA, there are benefits for all owners- who will be voting next week.

Having said this, Sacramento will not keep the kings solely because Vivek is from India. They will keep the kings as they can combine an appropriate ownership group with the development of a new arena and a history of strong political and community support. The Indian angle is a potential cherry on top.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'm sure they are. But I'd wager Vivek and his ownership group have the advantage because they basically invented the digital age. Vivek is like the Micheal Jordan of using technology and information to not only solve business problems but anticipate them. Do some homework on the guy. Have you watched the video I posted of his lecture?
I'm not sure you realize how ignorant this sounds when talking soccer and it's grip world wide as the top sport. It's great Vivek is on the cutting edge when it comes to technology and I do think he'd help open the game up more to India, but you're going completely overboard in your analysis.

I guess it's a good problem to have though. For awhile we had fans on the other side, giving Sac little chance at success or even being around a year from now. But now I think you're far overstating what effect Vivek can have. Get us back to winning and growing the game in India? Of course. But giving him the advantage over Russian oligarchs to the point he'd be a big part in the NBA overtaking soccer globally? Almost zero chance.