Fourth whale spotted!!!

Tony Bizjak ‏@TonyBizjak 9m

BREAKING:Jacobs family, owners of Qualcomm Co, become the fourth whale in bid, Vivek Ranadive just told the Bee. Story online soon #NBAKings

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 5m

RT @TonyBizjak: Sacbee - Sacramento bid to keep the Kings attracts a fourth heavyweight investor http://sacb.ee/YvjvTC
Gee! At some point the individual assets of the so called whales, I will switch to calling them "saviors, is moot. The value of these folks is getting astronomical and certainly far beyond what it takes to create a competitive basketball team. I am interested in what the four brothers are worth but their daddy is known to have donated 100's of millions of dollars including $120 mil for the San Diego orchestra. Perhaps we will become the Silicon Valley Kings. Anyway, back on track, the hidden value in getting so many mega rich saviors attracted to the Kings is now expanding as to what they might do. The prior collection of saviors has expanded their interest in Sacramento by an extra half a billion dollars to help restore downtown Sac. This is above and beyond what Burkle might have done alone. It seems like Pappa Jacobs has an interest in many things and perhaps he would like to donate a little to the local orchestra among many, many other things.

Qualcomm has a major investment in Mumbai, India which is where Ranadive is from.

The more the merrier and the benefactor is clearly the City of Sacramento. Our children may look back on this moment of crisis as the event that changed the city. No longer will people be able think about Sacramento without suppressing a giggle.

Last edited:
They are lining up for us...those whales are incredible!

An enormously financially viable ownership group is here so I assume the Ballmer/Hansen build will be beaten and not just matched. Arena term sheet should be approved by at least 7-2 vote. Now its up to KJ and the ownership group to knock the socks off the NBA BOG and get this thing sorted BEFORE the April 17/18 vote!

Hopefully all these guys in the ownership group are ON THE SAME PAGE, otherwise this could be a case of too many chefs in the kitchen spoils the broth! But I am confident that won't be the case! There is too much at stake and KJ would NOT allow it to go down that path!

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The impression I get is that Ranadive will run the Kings and the rest are along for the ride, perhaps more interested in getting a foothold in Sacramento and developing there. In any case, when it comes time to get a new coach, they should be able to come up with the cash as the eldest Jacobs brother makes $20 mil a year in what us peons would call "salary." I don't know if each Jacobs brother would be considered a whale or how they manage their money when investing in something like Sacramento, er, the Kings, but when money is needed, it either gets split 4 ways or 7 ways. Perhaps each would find the money just as Tetsujin and I usually do find tucked away in our couches.

Last edited:
I am wondering if there is any planned effort by the fans to be in NY in front of the hotel when the NBA meets with the Seattle and Sacramento groups?!

When Maloofs wanted to move the team to Anaheim, there was a group of fans dressed in Kings gear and with Here We Stay signs at the entrance of the hotel when the NBA BOG were meeting. I feel the same effort this time around would get the additional good will into our favour there.

Anyone know if there is anything planned or not?

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Aaron Bruski ‏@aaronbruski 5m

RT @TonyBizjak: Sacbee - Sacramento bid to keep the Kings attracts a fourth heavyweight investor http://sacb.ee/YvjvTC
BTW, this article is well worth reading if you want to catch onto the mentality of Ranadive, himself. The Jacobs family seem to be very much like him. I see Burkle as the KINGsize worker bee working diligently in the background.

Ranadive said the addition of the Jacobs family is not necessary, however, for the Sacramento group to compete with Seattle, it just adds to the heft of the local bid.

"Each person in this has the capacity to do this on their own," he said. "This is about building a global brand. It's about putting more wood behind the arrow."

In his first interview since joining the Sacramento bid, Ranadive said he is participating because "there are bigger things that happen in life than yourself."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292226/sacramento-bid-to-keep-the-kings.html#storylink=cpy

I think this whole project has gone far beyond what anyone could have dreamed. I sure hope the BoG sees it the same way. Remarkable. I hope at least one person sees the humor in him saying that any one of the people could have handled the project themselves especially following the failure of the entire Maloof clan who, with their hamburger ad, seemed to think they were rich.

Last edited:
BTW, this article is well worth reading if you want to catch onto the mentality of Ranadive, himself. The Jacobs family seem to be very much like him. I see Burkle as the KINGsize worker bee working diligently in the background.

Ranadive said the addition of the Jacobs family is not necessary, however, for the Sacramento group to compete with Seattle, it just adds to the heft of the local bid.

"Each person in this has the capacity to do this on their own," he said. "This is about building a global brand. It's about putting more wood behind the arrow."

In his first interview since joining the Sacramento bid, Ranadive said he is participating because "there are bigger things that happen in life than yourself."

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/25/5292226/sacramento-bid-to-keep-the-kings.html#storylink=cpy

I think this whole project has gone far beyond what anyone could have dreamed. I sure hope the BoG sees it the same way. Remarkable. I hope at least one person sees the humor in him saying that any one of the people could have handled the project themselves especially following the failure of the entire Maloof clan who, with their hamburger ad, seemed to think they were rich.
Great quotes! This IS bigger than basketball! ;)

We have another 10 or so days to go before we get more information about ours and Seattle pitch to the NBA.

They are lining up for us...those whales are incredible!

An enormously financially viable ownership group is here so I assume the Ballmer/Hansen build will be beaten and not just matched. Arena term sheet should be approved by at least 7-2 vote. Now its up to KJ and the ownership group to knock the socks off the NBA BOG and get this thing sorted BEFORE the April 17/18 vote!

Hopefully all these guys in the ownership group are ON THE SAME PAGE, otherwise this could be a case of too many chefs in the kitchen spoils the broth! But I am confident that won't be the case! There is too much at stake and KJ would NOT allow it to go down that path!
I have a feeling that the Qualcomm thing might just be lined up for 30 years of naming rights.. Which in its own is a great thing to present to the BOG that we do have someone who's willing to get naming rights on the arena for 30 or so years. It's just a personal feeling but I don't think it will be much more than that, unless there was a minority share in there that they were going to buy.

Hahaha......a funny tweet, somewhat true in a way

James Ham ‏@James_Ham 9m
I'm waiting for the announce that David Stern is leaving the NBA to join the Sacramento Kings ownership group. You know it's coming.
The commissioner has been on our side for 2 years.....and running! :D

I have a feeling that the Qualcomm thing might just be lined up for 30 years of naming rights.. Which in its own is a great thing to present to the BOG that we do have someone who's willing to get naming rights on the arena for 30 or so years. It's just a personal feeling but I don't think it will be much more than that, unless there was a minority share in there that they were going to buy.
I think its a lot more than just the naming rights! They have been announced as part of the ownership group. There could be a naming rights for the arena component there BUT first and foremost this is an ownership group announcement.

I can't wait for the April 3rd meeting in NY and hopefully a few days after that and before the April 17/18 meeting, Seattle group pulls out of the deal and our whales are announced as new ownership group of the Sacramento Kings on April 18.

Maybe I am a bit impatient with this but I just want it over and done with!

For the first time I feel secure Seattle's bid will definitely be matched/passed
Same.. Well not only matched but to the point of blowing it out of the water and leaving the other owners dumbfounded on how quickly we came up with the arena deal, and owners to match that in this kind of recession. ESPECIALLY in a political city like Sacramento. KJ will deserve a statue and his number retired.

anybody see a dramatic OVERBID coming?? These guys are playing to basically OWN a whole city together... worth a few extra bucks on the franchise price to make sure it happens maybe... I hope.
What better city to own then the capital (political) city of the 7th largest economy in the world?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
MartinH on March 25, 2013 at 7:32 pm said:
danabarrosetc:
@ChrisDaniels5 45s
RT @TonyBizjak: BREAKING:Jacobs family, owners of Qualcomm Co, become the fourth whale in bid, Vivek Ranadive just told the Bee.

And how, pray tell, do they expect the BoG to vet their financials before April 18/19?

At some point, the BoG just has to throw its hands in the air and say “Sorry, it’s too late now”.

Uh, hey buddy. I'm pretty sure the NBA is well aware of how much money the Jacobs family is worth. The oldest brother gets 20 million dollars a year.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
THis week in blatant failure to pay attention.

They STILL have to vote down the PSA and they still have to hope maloofs sell locally. Maloofs have the only say on who they sell too.

Someone obviously was not listening to David Stern.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
BREAKING NEWS: Sam Shane suddenly not being a party pooper and drinking some punch like a big boy.

Sam Shane ‏@SamShanecbs13 4m
Another major investor steps up to invest in Sac effort to keep Kings & CBS 13 has learned there could be more soon @ 10 on CBS 13
Retweeted by Crown Downtown

Uh, hey buddy. I'm pretty sure the NBA is well aware of how much money the Jacobs family is worth. The oldest brother gets 20 million dollars a year.
hahah "Sorry it's too late" uhhh.. Too late because the Maloofs went behind the city's back and tried to sell to everyone except Sacramento? Doesn't that idiot think that if there was no chance then the NBA wouldn't waste their time sending people out here, and giving us the time to actually come up with OUR OWN OFFER?

Because it's not like the Maloofs gave us a chance to give them an offer or anything. TRhe NBA saw that and basically said "WTF, give Sacramento until the BOG meeting to match the offer + arena deal"

I think That Daniels guy is sweating now. He's got nothing to say except the idiot remarks like the one you quoted.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
anybody see a dramatic OVERBID coming?? These guys are playing to basically OWN a whole city together... worth a few extra bucks on the franchise price to make sure it happens maybe... I hope.
I don't see a dramatic overbid. I DO see a $5 or $10 mil overbid to calm the Maloofs who might think of putting up a squabble about who they sell to if Hansen/Ballmer are turned down with the 8 votes that are necessary to accomplish that. Not sure why Hansen/Ballmer would pull out to address something someone else wrote.

Wow.. Looks like Sonicsfalling site is putting everything into spin mode now. Like saying our arena deal is crap (huh?) and our offer is late (huh?)..

Wow.. They went from happy to worried. I like this. They should be worried...

It's funny because when they don't get the Kings they will try to say the NBA stole another team from them.. Ahem* Seattle? That team was NEVER yours to begin with. Now go read a book at starbucks with the rest of the douche hipsters you have up there.

So the deal that we had last year was signed off on by the NBA before the Maloofs backed out (meaning it was a good deal by NBA terms), but this deal we have this year is better (by a lot) and it's somehow crap? Please enlighten me on how the Seattle arena is any better? idiots.

Last edited: