Caitlyn Clark polarization among WNBA peers and fans

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Kelsey Plum is caucasian, was married to a man, and imho a more attractive woman than CC (again tastes vary and this is no judgement if any of you feel differently) so I think some of these arguments are a bit reductive. So let’s take another lane or I suspect this thread will be closed shortly.

FWIW I really do believe most of this is professional jealousy, CC is the first to have the “IT factor” and it confounds many who came before that think they are better.

Last edited:
I feel like there is a lot of tip toe-ing around a certain thing in this topic and I'm not cool with it. Caitlyn Clark is like Sue Bird but with the media attention and Capt Save-An-Iowan's.

Shes a tough chick and she isn't going to shy away from it so just chill out.

Respect is earned and just like Larry Legend, she will earn hers. Homegurl has a target on her back, justifiably so, and she can handle it. She ain't hooping in a dress. She's a tough chick and she will be aight.

This is much ado about nothing, other than her being indoctrinated and another player continuing a rivalry in the big leagues.

Was the play in question dirty? Yeah, it was. Is Caitlyn whining? No, y'all are. Quit acting like these women are soft, they MUCH harder than any of us are, Caitlyn included.

Caitlyn is a special player destined for great things. The last thing she wants, and I can guarantee this, is anybody trying to "protect" her from going thru this kind of adversity.

Let them women hoop. They gave birth to all of y'all. They way tougher than you give them credit for.
You’ve completely missed the mark here. Way off target. It ain’t about just one play or Caitlin’s toughness or whether she’s openly complaining. The point(s) have gone way over your head here.

Kelsey Plum is caucasian, was married to a man, and imho a more attractive woman than CC (again tastes vary and this is no judgement if any of you feel differently) so I think some of these arguments are a bit reductive.
To be accurate and fair, Kelsey Plum wasn’t setting the world on fire and causing masses of people to begin following a sport the vast majority has never cared about until the past 15 months or so. Neither has any other college or WNBA player that also checks all the boxes you listed.

If they had gotten this type of following and attention, they very likely might have received the same or similar treatment. Who knows.

Also noteworthy is Skylar Diggins-Smith, who has openly talked about her experiences in the league. Skylar isn’t white, but is married to a man, has children, and, according to her, has had her share of difficulties because of it. Point is, @PurpleHaze isn’t going down a lane that an actual WNBA player hasn’t discussed publicly.

I won’t go any further than that, but it’s fair to point it out.

FWIW I really do believe most of this is professional jealousy, CC is the first to have the “IT factor” and it confounds many who came before that think they are better.
I believe there are several layers to it all, but, yes, at a macro level, I think you’ve got a pretty firm grasp on it.

Last edited:
This is the main thing, as well as the UConn players from the days where they won 150 games in a row and half their roster would go on to the WNBA throwing a bunch of shade because Caitlin "hasn't won anything" when half of them are far worse than KD in terms of coattail riding. (someone will call me out for hyperbole because they went 150-3)

Who cares why she is the transcendent star, you've waited a quarter century for one after many "female Jordans" have came and went, you have one and she can get every one of you richer than you would have been 2-3 years ago.
I haven't followed in recent years, but there was a long period of time when you knew prior to the season that one of four teams would win the women's NCAA championship. I seem to remember that UConn, Stanford, Tennessee and I believe Louisiana State were always head and shoulders above the rest.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I haven't followed in recent years, but there was a long period of time when you knew prior to the season that one of four teams would win the women's NCAA championship. I seem to remember that UConn, Stanford, Tennessee and I believe Louisiana State were always head and shoulders above the rest.
From 1987 to 2016 (30 year period) UConn and Tennessee won a combined 19 championships and the field won 11. Nobody else really comes close to those two. Stanford, Louisiana Tech, and Notre Dame are a pretty clear second tier.

Honestly, not a lot has changed wrt women’s college ball. UCONN isn’t a shoe-in anymore, although they still are a top contender. But there are still only roughly 2-4 teams with a legit change to win with 1 typically being a dominant team.

UCONN then Baylor now South Carolina. With teams like Notre Dame, Stanford and LSU looming. Of course cinderella Iowa was relevent the past couple years but only because of you-know-who.

While Clark and Iowa didn’t win a title, I’d argue that their upset of previously undefeated #1 seed South Carolina in 2023 was a big a win as there’s been in recent years. If SC had been able to hold Iowa off, I think they beat LSU in the title game and go down as one of greatest women’s teams of all-time. But Clark ruined history with 41-6-8.

SC went undefeated and won the title this season by getting revenge on Clark and Iowa. But they easily could have earned a 3-peat (SC also won in 2022) titles going 77-0 the past 2-seasons. The thing that prevented the 3-peat was Clark and Iowa.

Anyone that has played serious basketball at an open gym learns that the game is mental warfare. The WNBA has toughened up and now they need to grow up. Two things need to happen. Clark's teammates need to show up for her and more physical. She needs to do the same thing. Then the officials need to control games better. Issue some flagrants, throw someone out of a game.

The play in question off the ball and before the ball was even on the floor was an obivous flagrant that was not called. The only question was it a 1 or a 2.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Apparently Clark was left off USA Olympic team. Probably not a smart move based solely on the continued interest in her and she’s also a capable player…..sure there are a bunch of already proven stars to pick from but imagine Clark surrounded by stars and teams not running double teams at her.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Leaving her off the team is fine. She gets some needed rest since she basically went from a full NCAA season to WNBA and for whatever reason the league decided to front load her team's schedule. The US Women have like a 97.5% win percentage or something ungodly stupid. They will steamroll the Olympic tourney as usual with or without Clark (and I think the talent they have on offer may be better).

The only loser here would be NBC since even the men's basketball tournament is a tough sell until the gold medal game.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Leaving her off the team is fine. She gets some needed rest since she basically went from a full NCAA season to WNBA and for whatever reason the league decided to front load her team's schedule. The US Women have like a 97.5% win percentage or something ungodly stupid. They will steamroll the Olympic tourney as usual with or without Clark (and I think the talent they have on offer may be better).

The only loser here would be NBC since even the men's basketball tournament is a tough sell until the gold medal game.
I’ll be honest, I’m likely not going to watch the women’s team without Clark. I’ve found myself watching parts of the Fever games just to check in with how Clark is doing. I don’t check in on any other team or player as I’m not interested nor have extra viewing time to fit in another league. I think the WNBA loses viewers like me without CC

I’ll be honest, I’m likely not going to watch the women’s team without Clark. I’ve found myself watching parts of the Fever games just to check in with how Clark is doing. I don’t check in on any other team or player as I’m not interested nor have extra viewing time to fit in another league. I think the WNBA loses viewers like me without CC
To say that the decision to leave her off the roster is “shortsighted” would be a massive understatement. It shows a complete lack of awareness.

Imagine the men’s committee leaving LeBron James off the Olympic team back in 2003/04 because he was a rookie and inexperienced. It didn’t and wouldn’t happen. Hell, the 1992 “Dream Team” included Christian Laettner — who had no business being on that team— simply because he had been the biggest name in the men’s college game for several years.

Whatever the interest level ends up being, it would have been at least 2 fold with Clark on the team.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Apparently they were afraid of Caitlin stans being vocal on twitter. Lol

it may be a justifiable basketball decision but it is extremely short sighted.

The WNBA just had its most-watched games ever

People of color and young people are turning to the WNBA with interest. Viewership grew 60% year-over-year among people of color, the WNBA said, with huge jumps in Hispanic and Black audiences, who represent most of the group. The league’s Tip-Off week had a 139% increase in young girls watching.
(Viewers) average 1.32 million a game on the networks. (In contrast, last year averaged 462,000 viewers per game.)
Tick Pick, an online ticketing site, reported a 435% increase year over year in total tickets sold for WNBA games in May, with the average price of the tickets increasing 60%. Indiana Fever had a whopping 4,493% increase in May tickets sold.
If the WNBA plays it cards right and project their stars well, the league could sustain itself and grow more.

Professional sports are not for everyone. The NFL stands for Not For Long.
American society struggles with racism and sexual identity. It is not CC's problem, so much as it is a societal problem.
She has created great interest in the League and the other players need to realize that she is their meal ticket.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Reese clocked Clark on her drive to the hoop, reviewed to a flagrant 1, and on ESPN it was said to be inadvertent but that sure looked like a flagrant 2 and it’s with Reese. If I was the commish, incoming fine for Reese

Reese clocked Clark on her drive to the hoop, reviewed to a flagrant 1, and on ESPN it was said to be inadvertent but that sure looked like a flagrant 2 and it’s with Reese. If I was the commish, incoming fine for Reese
Agree. That would have been a flagrant 2 in the NBA (unless it happened to Sabonis).

I thought Reese was going for the block and there was no wind up targeting Clark's head. But it was more than just routine basketball play and F-1 deserved. Clark was not hurt but could have been. Play on, no fine needed, imo. But if it becomes clear Clark actually becoming a target then WNBA needs to step up sanctions against any offenders to put an end to it.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I thought Reese was going for the block and there was no wind up targeting Clark's head. But it was more than just routine basketball play and F-1 deserved. Clark was not hurt but could have been. Play on, no fine needed, imo. But if it becomes clear Clark actually becoming a target then WNBA needs to step up sanctions against any offenders to put an end to it.
This is the same team who celebrated when their teammate called Clark a ***** and blindsided her with a shoulder check to the ground. I think there is zero doubt in my mind she is a target here. WNBA may want to realize that the meal ticket is good for them. Optics are bad. Imagine a team knocking Curry down 1 game and then in the next game, there is a flagrant to the head by a player who celebrated the first act.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Some tweeter begged the question why can't the WNBA going back to be an awesome, underground secret for women this afternoon after the foul.

They have since deleted their account. But it's where we're at with the CC drama. Certain people were begging for more eyes on the league, got it, and turns out they hate it. That genie isn't going back in the bottle though.

Some tweeter begged the question why can't the WNBA going back to be an awesome, underground secret for women this afternoon after the foul.

They have since deleted their account. But it's where we're at with the CC drama. Certain people were begging for more eyes on the league, got it, and turns out they hate it. That genie isn't going back in the bottle though.
They should be careful what they ask for. They lose over $10 million as a league every season. This is their chance to bring enough eyes on the league to possibly see a profit in the future. Blow this chance and why would the NBA continue to carry them?

Dang, many sports leagues bused their players until they were worth their salt this reeks of whiny spoiled brats.
On that note, don't all minor league baseball players (who are still pros) take buses as their primary, if not only, mode of transportation?

I never hear outcry for those players for not making anywhere near the same $$$ as those up in the show. Reason being is everyone understands that they don't generate anywhere close to the same revenue since attendance, TV viewership, and merch sales are minuscule by comparison. Same goes for the NBA's G-League players, specifically those not on 2-way contracts.

Why those same naysayers can understand that yet are unable to apply the same logic toward the women's game remains one of life's mysteries.

Last edited:
Caitlin Clark effect is real.

Fun fact: Indiana Fever has a higher home attendance than the Indiana Pacers.
I wonder how many of those fans were there to see Angel Reese? lmao.

FWIW, Caitlin broke another record tonight, as she had 19 assists. Unfortunately her Fever lost to a bad Dallas team.

Caitlin also became just the 2nd rookie to ever post over 200+ assists during a season, joining our very own Ticha Penicheiro whom I believe to be one of the best PG's in league history -- so that's a pretty nice accomplishment.

Pair that with her recent triple double, a WNBA first for a rookie, and Caitlin is really starting to show off her potential in this league.

She needs to drastically cut down on the turnovers and start making her perimeter shots more consistently. Once those things happen, the haters will have nothing of substance left in the arsenal.