Kings picking 13th overall (formerly the draft lotto thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, every player in this draft makes me nervous in one way or the other. Even the ones in the top 5. This is a pretty weak draft as advertised.

Not even the highlight packages are getting me especially excited for anybody. Seems a couple of the YouTube draft profile guys have even taken the year off from doing profiles this draft is so weak.

Surely there will be some good players available though.

I think the BPA’s in our range are Collier, Dillingham, Butler, and McCain. Thats unfortunate. I really want to be to wowed by the bigger wings.

Guys like da Silva seems very unspectacular.

Cody Williams doesn’t look that good either, but I think his brothers game looks terrible as well but he’s pretty damn good obviously. So perhaps he is somebody to look at.

Holland and Salaun seem like guys that will be immediately stashed in the g-league. They are the ideal prototypes though…but too green. I do hope to get an immediate rotation player out of this pick

I almost want them to just take Edey lol
depends on the role. Holland could I think focus on defense and catch and shoot the 3. All we need right now is a 3 and D wing. He would fit if he can fall to us and hit a C&S 3.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Most of the downsides to Ron Holland seem overblown based on the footage I saw...

(1) He didn't shoot the ball well this year but he was going from high school to the G-League so the three point line moved back 4 feet for him. That's a big adjustment to make in 1 year. The college and international prospects were all shooting from a 3pt line which is about 19 inches closer to the basket. His shooting form looks good to me and he's already had a head start in adjusting to the NBA distance -- I don't think it will be a problem. He likely won't be setting 3pt records in his rookie year but anywhere in the 28-35% range seems plausible with incremental improvement from there.

(2) He turned the ball over too much but he's a 6'8" forward who was asked to be a primary facilitator. He doesn't need to be a PG in the NBA, he just needs to get better about limiting mistakes. That should be easier to do on a veteran team where his role is more tightly defined. Guys like Jaylen Brown who can create but generally use their handle to go get baskets are more who he should be compared to and Jaylen also had more turnovers than assists in his 1 year at Cal. He's shown a willingness to force the issue and make plays both for himself and his teammates and that's a huge plus for me because it means he won't just be a finisher. On the Kings he would be playing next to Keegan who is ultra conservative about picking his spots and limiting his turnovers. That "fire and ice" combo of personalities sounds perfect to me.

(3) He's not the most fundamental defender around (what 18 year old is?) but he's a monster of an athlete and he averaged 2.5 steals per game last year. He needs better coaching but the potential is huge for him on the defensive side of the floor. He could make an All-Defense team if he wants it bad enough. In our situation he'd be playing for Coach Brown and matching up with Fox, Ellis, and Keegan in practice every day. I think the motivation to show out on defense will be there.

(4) Apparently he's not been "impressive" in workouts according to the Twitter / X hype cycle? Boo hoo. I could care less about workouts. He's a gamer based on the actual 5-on-5 footage. That's all I care about.

Most of the downsides to Ron Holland seem overblown based on the footage I saw...

(1) He didn't shoot the ball well this year but he was going from high school to the G-League so the three point line moved back 4 feet for him. That's a big adjustment to make in 1 year. The college and international prospects were all shooting from a 3pt line which is about 19 inches closer to the basket. His shooting form looks good to me and he's already had a head start in adjusting to the NBA distance -- I don't think it will be a problem. He likely won't be setting 3pt records in his rookie year but anywhere in the 28-35% range seems plausible with incremental improvement from there.

(2) He turned the ball over too much but he's a 6'8" forward who was asked to be a primary facilitator. He doesn't need to be a PG in the NBA, he just needs to get better about limiting mistakes. That should be easier to do on a veteran team where his role is more tightly defined. Guys like Jaylen Brown who can create but generally use their handle to go get baskets are more who he should be compared to and Jaylen also had more turnovers than assists in his 1 year at Cal. He's shown a willingness to force the issue and make plays both for himself and his teammates and that's a huge plus for me because it means he won't just be a finisher. On the Kings he would be playing next to Keegan who is ultra conservative about picking his spots and limiting his turnovers. That "fire and ice" combo of personalities sounds perfect to me.

(3) He's not the most fundamental defender around (what 18 year old is?) but he's a monster of an athlete and he averaged 2.5 steals per game last year. He needs better coaching but the potential is huge for him on the defensive side of the floor. He could make an All-Defense team if he wants it bad enough. In our situation he'd be playing for Coach Brown and matching up with Fox, Ellis, and Keegan in practice every day. I think the motivation to show out on defense will be there.

(4) Apparently he's not been "impressive" in workouts according to the Twitter / X hype cycle? Boo hoo. I could care less about workouts. He's a gamer based on the actual 5-on-5 footage. That's all I care about.
Yeah everything I've seen and just other scouting reports on him, the dude has an incredible motor. That, you can work with and mold.

yeah, looking at some of the most recent mock draft pundits I see Holland going as low as 17 and 20. Is he really having that poor of workouts?
Maybe he will slide to us, in which case sure hope 13 is not part of a trade for an established player.

If the Hawks take Risacher I wonder if the Thunder would try to trade up and take Sarr. He would work for their play style and the Wiz could grab a bunch of extra picks they are after. They can have one more tank year for Coop and then they have a cupboard full of picks.

yeah, looking at some of the most recent mock draft pundits I see Holland going as low as 17 and 20. Is he really having that poor of workouts?
Maybe he will slide to us, in which case sure hope 13 is not part of a trade for an established player.
yeah I really like having Keegan and Holland as a pair of young forwards. Not to mention a Keegan, Holland and Ellis as a set of wing defenders. It might take an extra year but as a fan I would be willing to wait for it. It would set this team up now and in the future.

I don't think Siakim would have been the great fit some assume he would be. It's cute on paper but 45 million for a guy that can barely grab more than 5 rebounds? Good luck!
Tell that to the Pacers. Seemed to help them quite a bit come playoff time. I just wonder what the Kings deal was with the Raptors if true because it sounded like the Raps wanted Murray. So are the Kings saying they wish they would have just bit and sent Murray? Lol, I'm not buying that.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm

Da Silva, absolutely. Dude is so polished and so ready to be every quality wing in the NBA that's not a star.

Holland? I'd need to see it in summer stuff before believing it. I think he can contribute defensively and in transition off rip, but his offensive game probably needs some time to develop.
Yeah. I worry about Da Silva's lackluster rebounding and wonder how he'll hold up defensively on the next level because he's not quick laterally, but he's pretty plug & play.

Holland would likely need to be slowly fed increasing bench minutes next season. Which means either continuing to start HB or still needing a trade to shake up the starting five.

Unless MB wants to try Huerter at the 3 with Fox, Domas, Keegan, and Keon.

I'm not convinced of Da Silva at all. Very skinny to defend PF at the next level and very slow to make an impact as SF. I think he could be a bench contributor as a 7th or 8th man for his career because of his shooting and frame but anything special. Also his stats aren't so good as other senior top prospects. Is a pass for me at the top 20.

I like Filipowski though. If Monte is looking to finally make the pick and looks for his typical college experienced player and go big I think he should be the guy. I think he is being underrated the last weeks in experts media mocks. A few weeks back he usually appeared around our pick, OKC or Portland. I suppose he was bad at the combine and the negative wingspan made him fall to even the beggining of the 2nd round in some mocks. But for me is a top 15 prospect for sure. He shows the previous season that he could play as PF next to a interior center like Lively and this one that he could play that center role also. He improved as a 3pt shooter and in interior defense, maybe his biggest weaknesses last year.

He is going to have a large career at the next level and I like him more than any other big for us in this draft, Sarr and Clingan included.

Good passer, good fit in our system as a Domas replacement, and even as his frontcourt partner.

Since I am a Tar Heel, I think the team could do worse than to pick Harrison Ingram. The Kings might have to trade up to get him, since the draft boards have him anywhere from 25 to 44, while the Kings pick at no. 45. He spent two years at Stanford and one at UNC-Chapel Hill. At 6-7 (with shoes) and 233 lbs., Ingram can play a variety of positions and rebounds well. Much like Keegan Murray, he can get hot from three. He also majors in economics, not your usual athletic interest.

https://www.nba.com/pacers/news/harrison-ingram-2024-draft-prospect

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not convinced of Da Silva at all. Very skinny to defend PF at the next level and very slow to make an impact as SF. I think he could be a bench contributor as a 7th or 8th man for his career because of his shooting and frame but anything special. Also his stats aren't so good as other senior top prospects. Is a pass for me at the top 20.

I like Filipowski though. If Monte is looking to finally make the pick and looks for his typical college experienced player and go big I think he should be the guy. I think he is being underrated the last weeks in experts media mocks. A few weeks back he usually appeared around our pick, OKC or Portland. I suppose he was bad at the combine and the negative wingspan made him fall to even the beggining of the 2nd round in some mocks. But for me is a top 15 prospect for sure. He shows the previous season that he could play as PF next to a interior center like Lively and this one that he could play that center role also. He improved as a 3pt shooter and in interior defense, maybe his biggest weaknesses last year.

He is going to have a large career at the next level and I like him more than any other big for us in this draft, Sarr and Clingan included.

Good passer, good fit in our system as a Domas replacement, and even as his frontcourt partner.
I like Flip. Bigs that can dribble, pass, shoot are always valuable. I don't think you can play he and Sabonis together for long stretches just because it would be rough defensively, but as a stretch 5 that can play some 4 he'd be a good backup to have.

Hollinger has Holland 1 and Filipowski 9 on his big board that came out today. He calls the tape on Filipowski’s defense “eye popping” and says “he can embarrass smaller wings who try him one on one.” I didn’t watch much college hoops this year, so I can’t verify that statement, but it is intriguing

I have the feeling Hollinger is being deliberately spicy, though, because he has da Silva down at 51.

Hollinger has Holland 1 and Filipowski 9 on his big board that came out today. He calls the tape on Filipowski’s defense “eye popping” and says “he can embarrass smaller wings who try him one on one.” I didn’t watch much college hoops this year, so I can’t verify that statement, but it is intriguing

I have the feeling Hollinger is being deliberately spicy, though, because he has da Silva down at 51.
I actually like his list a lot. Risacher at 13 is a ballsy call, but honestly from every video I've watched Risacher has looked super mid

Hmm

Da Silva, absolutely. Dude is so polished and so ready to be every quality wing in the NBA that's not a star.

Holland? I'd need to see it in summer stuff before believing it. I think he can contribute defensively and in transition off rip, but his offensive game probably needs some time to develop.
We don’t need a star. We need to build around Fox,Sabonis and keegs. Da Silva is amazing at understanding ball movement and can shoot as well. On defense, I’m not sure but he has good length and can at least change shots by staying vertical.
Holland will most likely be gone, but shooting is one thing that can be learned by repetition. The defense, strength, and motor of holland is unreal imo. When he is in he is the guy that can get into the key for spray threes that brown wants. He can create freeing fox up a bit for the 4th quarter.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I felt that Flip's defense, while not perfect, was definitely better than his reputation, and there were certainly a few plays where I thought, "Oh, you can do THAT, huh? OK!"

We don’t need a star. We need to build around Fox,Sabonis and keegs. Da Silva is amazing at understanding ball movement and can shoot as well. On defense, I’m not sure but he has good length and can at least change shots by staying vertical.
Holland will most likely be gone, but shooting is one thing that can be learned by repetition. The defense, strength, and motor of holland is unreal imo. When he is in he is the guy that can get into the key for spray threes that brown wants. He can create freeing fox up a bit for the 4th quarter.
I very much agree. Been dueling with @SacTownKid over this topic for like 2 years now. That's one reason I've been so against a Kuzma/LaVine/Grant acquisition; there just really isn't room on the USG chart to reasonably work them in. Especially with Monk coming back now.

The Kings top 4 is set (Fox/Monk/Domas/Keegs). That's a majority of your offensive possessions. And what we saw last year, with Huerter and HB, is that there just really isn't room for another reasonably high USG player, at least not on a consistent basis.

We've got a good start with Keon, surrounding that top 4. The next 3-4 lineup slots need to be in a similar fashion of excellent defenders/spacers that can impact the game, even if they only get 4-6 shots a game. I think one of our issues is currently, those spots are occupied by Huerter/HB/Sasha/Lyles/Davion. I think Lyles and Davion qualify for my above criteria, but Huerter/HB/Sasha main value is tied to their shooting and scoring. If there's not USG for them, they're just not being utilized correctly.

So that's the task Monte has this off-season. He's got to find a way to repurpose those lineup slots/money into role players that compliment what our top 4 core do.

Yeah. I worry about Da Silva's lackluster rebounding and wonder how he'll hold up defensively on the next level because he's not quick laterally, but he's pretty plug & play.

Holland would likely need to be slowly fed increasing bench minutes next season. Which means either continuing to start HB or still needing a trade to shake up the starting five.

Unless MB wants to try Huerter at the 3 with Fox, Domas, Keegan, and Keon.
all depends on Holland defense. He doesn’t need to do much on offense

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
all depends on Holland defense. He doesn’t need to do much on offense
I'd argue that at a minimum he needs to be enough of a threat from outside that teams don't just sag off him completely. Holland shot 24% from 3 in the GLeague this year. Especially on a team with Domas as the offensive hub, that would have to improve significantly for him to be playable on the NBA level.

As a starter, Keon shot 40% from three las season on just about 4.5 3PA per game. He may have only averaged 8.8 ppg, but he was enough of a shooter from outside that teams couldn't leave him wide open. They'll do that with Holland until he hits regularly enough to make them stop.

I'd argue that at a minimum he needs to be enough of a threat from outside that teams don't just sag off him completely. Holland shot 24% from 3 in the GLeague this year. Especially on a team with Domas as the offensive hub, that would have to improve significantly for him to be playable on the NBA level.

As a starter, Keon shot 40% from three las season on just about 4.5 3PA per game. He may have only averaged 8.8 ppg, but he was enough of a shooter from outside that teams couldn't leave him wide open. They'll do that with Holland until he hits regularly enough to make them stop.
you don’t have tracking stats but his C&S 3 percentage is what matters. He may be acceptable in that regard. Assuming he falls to us.

What if you do though? No cap, no real assets outside of those 3. It's pretty much over at that point. Adding a star to that unit if Keegan rises probably makes you an instant contender. That's how it's done. This draft isn't the place to be looking for one though. Da Silva wouldn't add anything the Kings don't already have but would have a great chance to do well with this team for sure.

I very much agree. Been dueling with @SacTownKid over this topic for like 2 years now. That's one reason I've been so against a Kuzma/LaVine/Grant acquisition; there just really isn't room on the USG chart to reasonably work them in. Especially with Monk coming back now.

The Kings top 4 is set (Fox/Monk/Domas/Keegs). That's a majority of your offensive possessions. And what we saw last year, with Huerter and HB, is that there just really isn't room for another reasonably high USG player, at least not on a consistent basis.

We've got a good start with Keon, surrounding that top 4. The next 3-4 lineup slots need to be in a similar fashion of excellent defenders/spacers that can impact the game, even if they only get 4-6 shots a game. I think one of our issues is currently, those spots are occupied by Huerter/HB/Sasha/Lyles/Davion. I think Lyles and Davion qualify for my above criteria, but Huerter/HB/Sasha main value is tied to their shooting and scoring. If there's not USG for them, they're just not being utilized correctly.

So that's the task Monte has this off-season. He's got to find a way to repurpose those lineup slots/money into role players that compliment what our top 4 core do.
That's the thing though, I'm looking at it like this, if Keegan pans out AND you added a star? Really, you don't want that? People didn't want Siakam either. While nothing is ever definitive I mean, really? The Suns, Lakers, Pacers, all made deals, Kings stood pat. They rose, Kings didn't. The great thing about true talent is that if a coach uses it right it's always going to have some type of value. Signing guys like Bruce Brown, overpaying for a DFS, Grant Williams. As seen on TV, that's how you can get into trouble if they aren't your final piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.