[Game] Kings vs Suns 7:30PM PDT/10:30 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sabonis made a mistake on that lazy back court pass for the Beal fast break but once again the officials gave the game away and I don't think there's anything the Kings could have done differently to win. When Sabonis doesn't have position, he's called for an over the back foul on Durant (and the contact on Fox's shot is ignored). When Sabonis does have position and Nurkic jumps on top of him it's also a foul on Sabonis and game winning free throws for Phoenix. Fox was in the shooting motion on that last foul but they give us a sideline out of bounds instead.

I'm not even mad. This is the NBA. We know how it works by now. Booker was garbage in this game though. He should have been ejected after all the antics he pulled.
That wasn't over-the back - Sabonis was pushing Durant on his hip illegally - easy and correct call

I agree we pretty clearly need another self creator whether that ends up being Monk or someone else or both I don’t know. Still, we lost this one like a lot of other ones because the other team made timely 3s & and ones the stretch while we turned it over or fouled. We lost the second Mavs game, the big Suns comeback and in this one, the OKC game just to name a few this way.
Draper just went on a tirade about the physicality of the NBA ticking up. I posted about it before when the NBA came out and said it, this might not be the same NBA moving on here. A more physical NBA will hurt this current version of the Kings more than just about anyone. Brown started to run Fox, Monk, and Keon together and the ratings are bad. Real bad. The big question is how to find that other key piece while not having to force smallish G ball.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I dunno maybe we could find a halfway decent successor/upgrade to Barnes at 13 or 14 in this draft. There's a lot of 6'9-7' guys projected 10-20 something. Probably a 2-3 year project but at that point maybe we've rebounded next year and are on the upswing.

I still want to make the playoffs but I just don't know if this team has it in them. The last two weeks every game has had playoff implications and we keep coming up short. Sometimes the refs do us, but that won't change in the playoffs either.

Draper just went bizerk on post game regarding the physicality saying its getting out of hand for all teams. Said it’s bad when after every shot players are throwing up their hands to complain about a foul. His main point was the NBA has a problem, bottom line a foul is foul and you can't just switch 2/3 of way into season.
I’d rather have it this way than watching free throws. There were some blown calls but I’d say that’s different than allowing physicality. A slap on the arm of a shot taker should always be a foul. I won’t place the blame there tonight though. That bad pass for the Beal steal was the winner of reasons we lost.

This team reminds me of the Chargers the last couple of years. They’ll build big leads that you know won’t last very long and will end up folding when all is said and done

Draper just went bizerk on post game regarding the physicality saying its getting out of hand for all teams. Said its bad when after every shot players are throwing up their hands to complain about a foul. His main point was the NBA has a problem, bottom line a foul is foul and you can't just switch 2/3 of way into season.
I kind of laughed at the irony of that. Go ask Webber and Vlade if this NBA is too physical, lol. The league builds it's rules around it's stars. As Curry types begin to fade and 7'3"+ guys and 300 pound Zions and Jokic' fill the void, well, get ready a new day might be dawning here.

I’d rather have it this way than watching free throws. There were some blown calls but I’d say that’s different than allowing physicality. A slap on the arm of a shot taker should always be a foul. I won’t place the blame there tonight though. That bad pass for the Beal steal was the winner of reasons we lost.
It felt that this sucked the air out of the building and possibly the team. I am sure players said "not again".

I suppose Kayte was right and they shouldn’t have called a timeout after the Nurkic free throws. They needed a timeout to get the offense back on track but the time for that was really a minute or two earlier when the you could see that the Suns stepped up their defense and the wheels were falling off for the Kings. I seem to recall the same thing happening on that earlier game against the Suns as well.

Draper just went on a tirade about the physicality of the NBA ticking up. I posted about it before when the NBA came out and said it, this might not be the same NBA moving on here. A more physical NBA will hurt this current version of the Kings more than just about anyone. Brown started to run Fox, Monk, and Keon together and the ratings are bad. Real bad. The big question is how to find that other key piece while not having to force smallish G ball.
maybe but we have a top ten defense now. That’s a pretty nice base to work with. Find one more rim pressure guy and hit our threes at a better rate and that offense can be top ten too. Keon has improved leaps and bounds offensively and he doesn’t even have a 1/4 of a season of starts under his belt. I think he can improve still. If Keegan takes a half leap next season you get better. Figure out the rest

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Who wants a bet that we will give the ball on fox and wait for miracle instead of murray who has a day
You were dead right here. All we needed was 2 to win on the final possession. That last play should have been to use Fox as a decoy and give Murray the final shot. We don't actually know what the play call was though because there was an aggressive trap on Fox as soon as he started his drive (probably another foul on Phoenix that went ignored) so we didn't get to see whether he was looking to pass or not.

I can understand why some Kings fans are angry with the Kings for "melting down" again. What I've seen consistently in the fourth quarter this season though is a complete lack of respect for our primary scorers as all sorts of physical play is being allowed against us while on the other end there's just a slew of ticky-tack calls leading to game swinging free throws. It happened in the OKC game, the Boston game, and tonight against Phoenix. We have to drive through a guantlet of contact and somehow convert field goals anyway without the benefit of a whistle. Not so much for whoever we're playing.

And look at where the standings sit now: LAL vs. Phoenix in one play-in game and Sacramento Vs. GS in the other. The league is going to get the matchups they want to see no matter what. It's all just about money in the end.

There were multiple times that Fox was fouled and got nothing plus Booker got loads of gifts. I thought our biggest lead was 15 but most of the contest was in single digits. We should have closed it out but refs swung this at least 10 points.
Yeah I don't think it ever hit 20 but it's close enough. Offense totally stalled like usual and then we had bonehead plays like the Domas fouls. Even if the refs ultimately cost us the game that other stuff is too much of a pattern to write off.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
That wasn't over-the back - Sabonis was pushing Durant on his hip illegally - easy and correct call
I agree. And the foul on Sabonis on the other end should have been called on Nurkic instead for the same reason. You're not allowed to jump over somebody and take the ball away from them and that's exactly what he (Nurkic) did.

You were dead right here. All we needed was 2 to win on the final possession. That last play should have been to use Fox as a decoy and give Murray the final shot. We don't actually know what the play call was though because there was an aggressive trap on Fox as soon as he started his drive (probably another foul on Phoenix that went ignored) so we didn't get to see whether he was looking to pass or not.

I can understand why some Kings fans are angry with the Kings for "melting down" again. What I've seen consistently in the fourth quarter this season though is a complete lack of respect for our primary scorers as all sorts of physical play is being allowed against us while on the other end there's just a slew of ticky-tack calls leading to game swinging free throws. It happened in the OKC game, the Boston game, and tonight against Phoenix. We have to drive through a guantlet of contact and somehow convert field goals anyway without the benefit of a whistle. Not so much for whoever we're playing.

And look at where the standings sit now: LAL vs. Phoenix in one play-in game and Sacramento Vs. GS in the other. The league is going to get the matchups they want to see no matter what. It's all just about money in the end.
Yeah so on the last play we should have swung the ball around rather than leave it in Fox's hands to let Booker mug him (knowing the refs won't call it)

maybe but we have a top ten defense now. That’s a pretty nice base to work with. Find one more rim pressure guy and hit our threes at a better rate and that offense can be top ten too. Keon has improved leaps and bounds offensively and he doesn’t even have a 1/4 of a season of starts under his belt. I think he can improve still. If Keegan takes a half leap next season you get better. Figure out the rest
Yeah, I just think Monte absolutely has to look at his super G heavy makeup he's got going here. The Warriors style of running multi guard units might not be the way or even passable much longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.