[Game] Kings vs. Blazers, 11/8/2023 7pm Pacific 10pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
We missed 10 free throws, had 21 turnovers and shot 29 percent from 3 tonight. And Jerami Grant went into God Mode. Don’t really care who it’s against I’ll take a win on a night like that
Keegan 4-17
Monk 4-16 (Although 15-19 FTA GOD DAMN)
Huerter 5-13

I don't think it's really about our "non-Fox" talent. The way this team is built, is it's Fox is your go-to scorer (although Monk???) with Domas the offensive engine and elite shooting around them. The elite shooting is nowhere to be found this season thus far and obviously no Fox so we look like a chicken with our head cut off. Doesn't help HB has seemingly loss quite a bit of athleticism too, especially laterally.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
needed OT to beat a banged up Blazers squad who may not win 30 games, a win is a win I suppose but Kings not getting much from their forward position and both played over 30 minutes, like seeing Ellis getting some burn.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It’s hard to believe you could want someone less after a 38 point explosion where they were 5/6 from three until two desperation misses but I absolutely do not want Grant on the Kings (at his salary). Terrible iso hero ball possession after possession that only happened to work because Harrison Barnes was guarding him for 80% of the game for some reason and Jerami was unnaturally hot.

I believed!! It's games like this that can change a lot. Remember the doom and gloom before Fox hit that game winner in Orlando? You could have easily said "Oh wow, overtime against the Magic? How embarrassing". People have short term memory a bit when it comes to sports and i get it lol but we will be fine, people.
Game was very important. Team needed to prove to themselves they could win a game without fox. It’s a long season I’m not bad at fox missing games early and the rest of the team not depending on him to carry everything. Good win today.

Shooters are terrible right now and we still won

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Keegan 4-17
Monk 4-16 (Although 15-19 FTA GOD DAMN)
Huerter 5-13

I don't think it's really about our "non-Fox" talent. The way this team is built, is it's Fox is your go-to scorer (although Monk???) with Domas the offensive engine and elite shooting around them. The elite shooting is nowhere to be found this season thus far and obviously no Fox so we look like a chicken with our head cut off. Doesn't help HB has seemingly loss quite a bit of athleticism too, especially laterally.
guys were missing some easy looks so you can't totally say part of it is Fox takes the pressure off of them, but I think they are still feeling it even with wide open shots. Nobody is bailing them out if they don't make the shots which probably adds to whatever yips are going on. NGL though, disappointed that Keegan didn't have a better game against his bro-bro.

We missed 10 free throws, had 21 turnovers and shot 29 percent from 3 tonight. And Jerami Grant went into God Mode. Don’t really care who it’s against I’ll take a win on a night like that
Why did Grant go God mode tho? Brown having Keegan be the first point of attack is a BAD look. Keegan is a fantastic weak side blocker, but not a point of attack defender. A shorter but quicker lateral defender is what you want. I'll never understand why he keeps putting Keegan in that role. It does not work.

What a great team effort to pull out the win. If we lost tonight, we would've kept tumbling down... thank god we got this win. I think Kevin is finally finding himself again, but we need Keegan to do the same. We're not going to win many more games if Keegan can't get out of his slump. To his credit, I thought he did a good job on defense after his shot went completely cold.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I think something worth noting was the play of Len tonight. He gave us really solid minutes without some of the dumb plays. McGee has been great on offense but I’d take the less mistake prone minutes of Len. He provides just as much rim protection, can still catch a lob and doesn’t do a sky hook.
The thing about Len is that he’s really sound with his defensive rotations too. Not necessarily going to get to his spots early but is rarely ever going the wrong way on that end of the floor.

Thank god. We are not a good team right now, but I’m trying to remind myself of all the disappointing losses and wins we had to teams we “should” have beaten easily. We desperately needed this win. 3-4 is infinitely better than 2-5. Fox, please come back.

I think something worth noting was the play of Len tonight. He gave us really solid minutes without some of the dumb plays. McGee has been great on offense but I’d take the less mistake prone minutes of Len. He provides just as much rim protection, can still catch a lob and doesn’t do a sky hook.
Brooooo, Len was 10x better than McGee has ever been. I agree with you

guys were missing some easy looks so you can't totally say part of it is Fox takes the pressure off of them, but I think they are still feeling it even with wide open shots. Nobody is bailing them out if they don't make the shots which probably adds to whatever yips are going on. NGL though, disappointed that Keegan didn't have a better game against his bro-bro.
One thing we mostly avoided last season was a team wide shooting slump. Or we'd at least have someone pop off basically every game with Fox and Domas. If Huerter was bad, Keegs dropped 20. If HB was bad, Trey and Monk would pop off on the bench, etc, etc.

Right now, we're in a team wide shooting slump without our top 10 player. And that directly affects Domas too, who's big value is creating for these shooters in the DHO and also giving him space to operate in the paint.

Thus why individual game +/- is very very bad lol
he didn’t shoot well but I thought he did little things that helped. He isn’t playing well but if you aren’t going to shoot well at least rebound, defend and set up others and he did that. KVon is starting to come out of his slump, hopefully Keegan is next.

Well to be fair, not a whole lot of other guys are doing that "Scoring" thing either sooo
I was impressed that six Kings are in double figures, even if it is an overtime game. More balanced scoring, like last year. Len was 4-4 with 6 rebounds for 10 points. That is the kind of contribution you need down the bench.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Why did Grant go God mode tho? Brown having Keegan be the first point of attack is a BAD look. Keegan is a fantastic weak side blocker, but not a point of attack defender. A shorter but quicker lateral defender is what you want. I'll never understand why he keeps putting Keegan in that role. It does not work.
Keegan was on Thybulle and Sharpe most of the night though

I'd like Brown to get them both playing. Keep them ready. Don't sit one guy for the whole season, like he did with Len. McGee has big ice packs on his knees most of the time. Who knows how long they will hold up

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
One thing we mostly avoided last season was a team wide shooting slump. Or we'd at least have someone pop off basically every game with Fox and Domas. If Huerter was bad, Keegs dropped 20. If HB was bad, Trey and Monk would pop off on the bench, etc, etc.

Right now, we're in a team wide shooting slump without our top 10 player. And that directly affects Domas too, who's big value is creating for these shooters in the DHO and also giving him space to operate in the paint.
Don’t look now but Huerter was actually 4-9 from three tonight which is roughly the sort of game he was shooting last season.

I believed!! It's games like this that can change a lot. Remember the doom and gloom before Fox hit that game winner in Orlando? You could have easily said "Oh wow, overtime against the Magic? How embarrassing". People have short term memory a bit when it comes to sports and i get it lol but we will be fine, people.
The thing is we won almost all of the home games we should have last year. All of our really bad losses came mostly on road trips out east. We also didn’t lose both games of a doubleheader last year.

We should be taking care of these games, and to follow-up 2 blowouts with a game we could have easily lost to one of the worst teams in the NBA shows we still have a lot of work to do. Brown is tinkering with his lineups looking for an answer (on a team with the same foundation as last year) so that’s telling us he is trying to solve some issues. Not sure what it is, but after the last game he was effusive with his praise for Keon and Edwards, so maybe it’s as simple as rewarding those players that are putting in consistent effort on both sides

Status
Not open for further replies.