[Game] Sacramento Kings (3) vs Golden State Warriors (6) (WCDS Game 2, 1-0) 4/14/2023 7:00pm Pacific 10:00pm Eastern (TNT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Well, that certainly was fun, wasn't it?

Up until the Clippers-Suns game, game one of the I-80 series was the runaway favorite for best game of the weekend, featuring what felt like three dozen lead changes, Steph and Klay nearly going nuclear in the closing minutes, and Fox and Monk matching them blow for blow (with some clutch support from a vengeful Black Falcon). Oh, and the much ballyhooed Warriors fan takeover turned out to be non-existent with seemingly the only Warriors fan in attendance controversially being removed from the arena early.

---
Awards Time, Playoff Edition
Tony Delk Memorial Award-
Donte DiVincenzo.
The final stats weren't particularly amazing but DDV had a big effect on the game, hitting his open threes and contributing hustle effort plays all night against his old team. Wound up riding the bench for a lot of the 4th as the Warriors went with Wiggins for most of the quarter instead to the tune of 0-4 shooting and one egregiously missed open three with the game on the line.

Playoff Bonzi- Malik Monk.
With Jason Williams in attendance, Malik fittingly had one of the most erratically explosive games in Kings postseason history. 32 points on a ridiculously efficient 13 shots (going 14-14 from the free throw stripe helps) has a funny way of erasing the occasional dumb possession or five of randomly driving into traffic and getting the ball stripped or throwing the ball directly to the other team. That said, 32 points in 29 minutes is quite the feat and the Warriors wound up running a box-and-1 to try and stop Malik for parts of the second half, which only led to De'Aaron Fox absolutely torching Klay, Poole, and whoever else Steve Kerr decided to sacrifice to him.

Shaq Antics Bringer of the Game- Draymond Green.
Not only dd the guy apparently sprint off the court the second the game was over to go record a podcast but the most enduring play of the game might not be one of Steph's ridiculous threes or Fox putting dudes in blenders but Draymond trying to knock Sabonis out with the Stink Face in the closing seconds of the game.

WTF Moment of the Game- Rather than showing the atmosphere inside G1C, ABC devotes its entire pregame show to discussing Klay Thompson's potential contract extension with Woj.

VF21 Fan of the Game- The entire city of Sacramento.

---
dUbS iN f0uR fIvE

In a total quirk of early round NBA scheduling, Mark Jones is apparently calling this game on NBC Sports despite the national broadcast being on TNT.

After the intense emotional roller coaster that was game one, the Kings and Warriors come together in Golden 1 Center again for a Monday evening game two. The Warriors reportedly cancelled practice to instead have a team meeting to announce a change to the starting lineup. While it hasn't been announced, this probably means Wiggins is replacing Donte DiVincenzo in the starting lineup, which in all honesty might actually be good news for the Kings since that means Steph is either going to be stuck guarding Fox to start the game or guarding Harrison Barnes or Keegan at an intense size disadvantage.

Obviously, the Kings are probably going to need their starters to play better to win this one. Sabonis had probably the single worst game of his Kings career (still wound up with a 12/16 double double), Keegan and Kevin wound up going a combined 0-8 from three (and Warriors fans have the gall to think THEY had a bad shooting night), and Harrison Barnes started and finished the game strong while being largely invisible for the middle 3/4 of the game. The bench came out strong with Len playing like he did when Vlade first traded for him pre-pandemic and Big Play Trey finally playing well for the first time since he choked out Brook Lopez. Mike Brown essentially just played his normal rotations sans Kessler Edwards's 8 minutes.

On the Warriors end of things, their bad three point numbers came not from them missing shots they normally make but from them taking so many shots most teams normally wouldn't take (after his hot stretch in the fourth, Klay took like three consecutive threes while double teamed with hands in his face and missed all of them). Of course we all know that the Warriors are perfectly capable of hitting those shots (I WILL NEVER FORGET THAT TIME KLAY THOMPSON ONCE DROPPED 37 POINTS IN A QUARTER AGAINST US, JERRY) but they are even more capable of hitting shots when they're in the flow of their offense and not shots that Buddy Hield would take.

The simple fact of the matter is that both teams did not play their best basketball on Saturday. Yes, the crowd may have had something to do with it but the level of execution from both teams is probably going to take some sort of leap over the next couple of games. We'll see if the Warriors fans actually do have their 'invasion' this time around but I expect the Sactown faithful to be just as raucous and undeniable as they were on Saturday. We'll see if that extra execution starts tonight.

Final Prediction: Kings 127, Warriors 123
Run it back! Domas plays better. Fox remains King Clutch. Keegan and Kevin both make at least one three. We light the beam on their asses again.

As a certain fan once said,
I LOVE THIS TEAM

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Somehow the most hyped single game in Sacramento sports history was even better than expected! It feels amazing winning such an emotional game. The psychological burden of potentially going 0-4 here, of 16 years of futility, is already lifted. Now we just have to remember that one win isn't going to get the job done. Golden State is for sure going to give us their best swing tomorrow night. Can we top Game 1 and get the Warriors on the ropes early? We likely need to be even better in Game 2 to maintain the mental edge. Fox and Monk are both big-time players who've come up huge when tested this season. If Keegan and K'Von get it going and Domas finds his late-season form we'll be very very tough to beat.

My memory is a little hazy on this big quarter Klay Thompson supposedly had against some iteration of the Kings but I do remember when Klay Thompson dropped 43 in a Pac-10 Tournament game and his Cougs somehow still lost (to Isaiah Thomas no less). The Warriors tell us they're not afraid of anybody. It may already be too late before they realize how afraid they should be. This Kings squad rallied and found their swagger back in late 2022 after the 0-4 start, the blatant blown calls, the massive disrespect from everyone. Half the league assumed they would tumble down the standings as so many rival teams in the West re-loaded at the trade deadline. Somehow the Kings only got better. Now they've had a taste of winning in the playoffs too. I feel the momentum building! Let's keep the good vibes flowing!

The Warriors tell us they're not afraid of anybody. It may already be too late before they realize how afraid they should be. This Kings squad rallied and found their swagger back in late 2022 after the 0-4 start, the blatant blown calls, the massive disrespect from everyone. Half the league assumed they would tumble down the standings as so many rival teams in the West re-loaded at the trade deadline. Somehow the Kings only got better. Now they've had a taste of winning in the playoffs too. I feel the momentum building! Let's keep the good vibes flowing!
The way I see it, we heavily relied on the iso-game of Fox and Monk (and our bench contributions) when Domas, Huerter, and Keegan didn't have a good game at all. After listening to Dray's podcast, I believe this line of yours much more firmly.

We've all seen the game where we had to rely on Fox/Monk, ala the historic Clippers/Kings game. And with his overall body of work this season, we know Monk can heat up and give you 20+ with relative ease. But in Game 1, Fox/Monk were able to once again scored 70+ points together mostly because the Warrior's front court over-plays Sabonis for before Game 1, Sabonis is our one major method of attack on paper that they didn't have an account for. And they couldn't take their eyes off that luxurious yet gritty center of ours. Thus creating more spaces for iso.

This is why I think the Warriors might still not see it, what this Kings roster is capable of. Essentially, the Warriors came out having a great plan to stop our offense and largely succeeded. Yet we still thrived with the iso-game and still managed to get the win. I think Coach Brown was fine letting the Kentucky Connection run go on without Sabonis.

And by nature, if the Warriors come in Game 2 trying to clamp off Fox and Monk, we've seen how easy for the vets in this league to sag off Keegan. I mean half of the time on the court, he probably looked confused to them. And Huerter and Sabonis aren't going to have as bad a game as the last when they tried to hard-hedge Fox and Monk and open up those cutting lanes and open midrange/3 in Domas' case. And last but not least, we have all seen Red Velvet's Steph-like movement in DHOs. He'll thrive IF the Warriors care too much about Fox and Monk...

After the last game, I'm sure Domas, Huerter, and the rest of the gang who didn't have a good game will be eager to step up.

Coach Brown and his coaching staff might have a plan in place, and many heads might turn after Game 2...

Either way, this series will be in the history book... (and people will remember us fondly in the future for taking down the Warriors and signaling the first sign of a Golden State collapse).

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I keep scratching my head how we let Curry get off that last shot, instead of fouling someone… but I’ll take it. What a game and what a bench, they were down by double digits twice and each time they had an answer, I thought we were done.

Despite a subpar game from Sabonis, Huerter, and Murray; the Kings showed them they are not a one-trick pony. Now the Dubs have to watch for Fox and Monk duo. And one more thing, Fox is built for the PO.

Biggest stat up for grab that greatly helped the Kings win in game 1?.....REBOUNDING......cannot be emphasized enough......must have guards come back to help shore the defensive boards up. Although not the Knicks, the Warriors are opportunistic with offensive rebounding.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudes and Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudettes...

THE SACRAMENTO KINGS WON A FREAKING PLAYOFF GAME!!!

What do y'all say, wouldn't it be nice to win another one??? :p:p:p

I have just ONE thing to say, my fellow Kings fans...

#BeamTheMuthaEffingLight

JUST.
GOD.
DAMN.
MUTHA.
EFFING.
BEAM.
THAT.
ISH.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Also, I'm not quite sure, nor am I convinced, that I am mentally prepared for another Kings playoff game...:p:p:p
I’ve got a big meeting with a director to go to directly after the game today so I’d be perfectly fine with us beating the pants off the Warriors so bad that I can just have the 4th quarter on in the background as I ride the train to central Tokyo.

I’ve got a big meeting with a director to go to directly after the game today so I’d be perfectly fine with us beating the pants off the Warriors so bad that I can just have the 4th quarter on in the background as I ride the train to central Tokyo.
I have a question...What do you do for a living (besides being a passionate Kings fan)?

I have a question...What do you do for a living (besides being a passionate Kings fan)?
I originally had multiple questions, until I realized that you had already answered my first question, and I just completely overlooked it...:p:p:p

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I have some questions...
a. Where do you live that you have a meeting AFTER the game? (I assume you're based out of the country, as no one meets with a director at 9p/10p PST)
b. What do you do for a living (besides being a passionate Kings fan)?
A- I live in Tokyo
B- started out as a performer, now have pretty much shifted to a lot of behind the scenes stuff (translation/fixing/editing/etc.). Just got done helping with the edits and revisions for the subtitles for a pretty big (in a sense) guys in suits fighting guys in monster suits movie that got picked up for North American release last week. This meeting’s for a bit role in some dude’s indie movie that I’m mainly doing as a favor for a friend. In addition to all that I also am a professional (whatever the hell that means) ramen cook and teach the occasional English class (mainly at this point just private lessons for friends more than as an occupation because I don’t have the patience for that anymore lol)

A- I live in Tokyo
B- started out as a performer, now have pretty much shifted to a lot of behind the scenes stuff (translation/fixing/editing/etc.). Just got done helping with the edits and revisions for the subtitles for a pretty big (in a sense) guys in suits fighting guys in monster suits movie that got picked up for North American release last week. This meeting’s for a bit role in some dude’s indie movie that I’m mainly doing as a favor for a friend. In addition to all that I also am a professional (whatever the hell that means) ramen cook and teach the occasional English class (mainly at this point just private lessons for friends more than as an occupation because I don’t have the patience for that anymore lol)
Do you partake in screenwriting at all?

I had to drive into SF for work this morning. I had a good idea what Dave and Jason would be saying on 1140, so I decided to listen in to KNBR 680, listening from about 5:15-8:30 (sigh, why does it have to take 3+ hours to get from Sac to SF on a weekday morning...) I also read some Warriors fan posts once I got to the office to see if the radio takes were consistent. My takeaways from hosts, callers, and posters:

1) the Warriors played poorly and the Kings played well, and despite that, and despite a huge home court, the Kings only won by 3
2) Klay WILL shoot better
3) Wiggins WILL shoot better
4) Steph WILL be more impactful
5) Looney and Green WILL continue to shut down Sabonis
6) Kuminga WILL have at least 1-2 monster games where he will flip the game completely
7) GPII and Wiggins WILL lock up Fox tonight
8) Kings fans are irrational to think Sabonis will play better because see #5.
9) Kings fans should not expect more from Keegan (a rookie) or Huerter (a guy who shrank from the big moment)
10) Barnes will not play better than that, and we are lucky he hit such a big, out of character shot
11) Lyles will never play like that again. See #6 and Kuminga is better.
12) The Warriors will have a plan to take away Fox, Sabonis, and Monk, and not let any of the other guys get going. In short, they can take away everything we do offensively, without leaving any gaps to let anyone get going, because they are the Warriors

So basically, it is a given that every one of their players will play better, and also a given that all of our players have played their best games of the series.

I had to drive into SF for work this morning. I had a good idea what Dave and Jason would be saying on 1140, so I decided to listen in to KNBR 680, listening from about 5:15-8:30 (sigh, why does it have to take 3+ hours to get from Sac to SF on a weekday morning...) I also read some Warriors fan posts once I got to the office to see if the radio takes were consistent. My takeaways from hosts, callers, and posters:

1) the Warriors played poorly and the Kings played well, and despite that, and despite a huge home court, the Kings only won by 3
2) Klay WILL shoot better
3) Wiggins WILL shoot better
4) Steph WILL be more impactful
5) Looney and Green WILL continue to shut down Sabonis
6) Kuminga WILL have at least 1-2 monster games where he will flip the game completely
7) GPII and Wiggins WILL lock up Fox tonight
8) Kings fans are irrational to think Sabonis will play better because see #5.
9) Kings fans should not expect more from Keegan (a rookie) or Huerter (a guy who shrank from the big moment)
10) Barnes will not play better than that, and we are lucky he hit such a big, out of character shot
11) Lyles will never play like that again. See #6 and Kuminga is better.
12) The Warriors will have a plan to take away Fox, Sabonis, and Monk, and not let any of the other guys get going. In short, they can take away everything we do offensively, without leaving any gaps to let anyone get going, because they are the Warriors

So basically, it is a given that every one of their players will play better, and also a given that all of our players have played their best games of the series.
In other words...Warriors fans are going to be disappointed after taking a 2-0 series deficit back home with them??? Got it!!! :p:p:p

Status
Not open for further replies.