[Game] Kings vs. Magic [Vegas Summer League] 7/9/2022 1pm Pacific, 4pm Eastern (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading this forum for a while, finally deciding to comment. I think hopefully after watching Keegan vs Paolo we can all agree Keegan is not a small forward. The difference in ball handling and athleticism was pretty evident. A lot of player comparisons have been thrown around for Keegan but since he’s pretty clearly a 4 that can maybe slide down to the 3 depending on the matchup and that he seems to want to shoot a lot of threes and not post up a ton the right comparison for him may be Rashard Lewis. He was a 20 point scorer for Seattle in his prime and made a couple of all star teams. I loved the Keegan pick but he’s clearly not going to be a number 1 scorer on a playoff level team. And that’s ok, he doesn’t have to be. Maybe he could develop into a number 2 level guy and that’s ok too.
Shard with defensive upside would be an incredible outcome

Honestly, it’s a SL game so I’m already over the nonsense at the end of sudden death.

To me, the most important thing I saw was the final play that sent the game into OT.

Keegan Murray’s calm demeanor in collecting the loose ball then moving out to the 3-point line then having the patience to get the defenders off their feet to then calmly drill the shot was tremendous to see.

Yes, it was just SL game but in those types of situations A LOT of players panic and rush. Banchero and the 2nd defender did just that. Keegan did not. And it’s refreshing to see from a KINGS player.

I think we may have found a keeper.
I know it’s a stupid comparison, but when I saw that replay it looked like something Klay Thompson has done to us a million times. The quick square up, then pump fake, then calmly sinks the dagger.

He doesn't take bad shots and struggles to create as a playmaker. Which is good for the team they have in the regular season and bad for the team they might need in summer league They put him in a playmakers slot again today and he's not comfortable doing that. He wants to drive but the defenses in the NBA are going to pressure him when he does. Also the spacing today didn't allow him to get to his drop step when he did drive.
yeah his handle is weak currently. Good to see him try those things.

I think it’s too early to draw conclusions on his handle as he grew late and is still learning where crap is. The handle could well improve. Not sure he has the lateral quickness to guard 3’s. Will be interesting to see if he guards Mathurin.

That was definitely the most exciting summer league game I've ever seen.

I thought Banchero looked great. Has future star point forward written all over him. Seems like a good guy too. Easy to root for.

Murray doing exactly what he did at Iowa. Leaves you feeling like he didn't make an impact and then you look at the box score and see 20pts on 11 shots. His face up game has been exposed but that's really not surprising if you paid close attention to him in college. That's okay because his shot looks like it's money. Rashard Lewis comps are looking fairly accurate so far.

Ellis didn't look quite as good on defense as he did in the California classic. Got blown by a couple times by Hampton and overpowered a few times by other players. Still had very active hands on steals. Knocked the ball away a couple times but the ball kept rolling Orlando's way and they'd wind up scoring off of his almost steals. His shot looked great. He keeps this type of play up in the G League and I'm not sure if they can keep him down there for very long. Looked a lot more comfortable handling the ball as well.

Queta is just Queta. Impresses the hell out of you by doing things that only a few big men in the league can do and then does some absolutely goofy stuff a few seconds later that has you scratching your head. Hopefully with a bit more seasoning he can polish his game.

Man ... imagine plugging him in with Fox and Sabonis omg
And imagine him with Huerter on one side and Barnes on the other. It's very possible that this might be the best shooting and smartest team you could possibly put around De'Aaron. It's a gamble to push flexibility out the window like this but if Monte was going to do it this matches up with what playoff basketball looked like this last go around. I think it's possible that both Fox and Domas are in the top 15-20 of apg this year with Fox sneaking back into the top 10.

I come home from an 18 hour day to a 16 page summer league game thread?

How much bickering and internet scouting will I be signing up for if I read all of it?

Have we declared Keegan a rich man’s Middleton or a less fashionable Kuzma?

I know it’s a stupid comparison, but when I saw that replay it looked like something Klay Thompson has done to us a million times. The quick square up, then pump fake, then calmly sinks the dagger.
If Keegan becomes a reliable clutch performer for this team, he’ll be worth his weight in gold no matter what else he does.

I think back to those Shaq-Kobe teams we played in the early 2000’s and one of the overlooked things about that team was how clutch the likes of Robert Horry and Derek Fisher were. Same goes for Ray Allen in Miami.

I have a feeling Keegan will initially be a 14/7 type player but very reliable and clutch at the end of games. Sometimes making big shots, but also making whatever plays are needed to win. Securing big rebounds, making the right pass, playing tough defense.

While stars don’t grow on trees, neither do those that seem to always make the right plays and that never get overexcited and panic.

For all the good things he showed, I saw Banchero panic and make a poor entry pass then leave his feet early trying to make up for that mistake— both of which led to Murray’s clutch 3.

Meanwhile Murray was calm and composed from the time he corralled the loose ball to the time he drained the 3.

And imagine him with Huerter on one side and Barnes on the other. It's very possible that this might be the best shooting and smartest team you could possibly put around De'Aaron. It's a gamble to push flexibility out the window like this but if Monte was going to do it this matches up with what playoff basketball looked like this last go around. I think it's possible that both Fox and Domas are in the top 15-20 of apg this year with Fox sneaking back into the top 10.
My mind boggles at how many three point shots the Kings may put up this season!!!

How much bickering and internet scouting will I be signing up for if I read all of it?

I think we're just excited about the Keegan play. He's finding ways to be awesome with bad guard play and not getting schemed proper shots while being the main focus of the defense. I see all his shooting/off-ball movement type of looks that he's getting and doing at such a high level... and think what he could do with the space/creation provided by Fox/Sabonis. The shot looks significantly better than advertised. Almost to a point where that may need to be the focus of his game and a way for him to hit a massive upside; he becomes an elite 3pt launcher at 6'8.

The defense is very hit or miss play to play right now. One play he stifles the play on the perimeter and finishes with a strong contest. Others he gets blown by and is late on his lateral movement. Overall, I think he's been very good on defense and a positive, but has to clean up the slop with time. People shouldn't be freaking out over his potential as a perimeter defender; it's shown reasonably well to me through 4 SL games. We'll see when it gets to the NBA.

The self-creation isn't good, but I think one real advantage we have with his development is we basically need none of it the first 2 years. He's not forced into a situation like Paolo where his team needs him to be the offensive engine from day 1. He can work and develop it slowly and we hopefully see the dividends by year 3/4.. And even still... he's doing this:

I don’t recall much “bickering”, just mostly in-the-moment reactions to the end of the game and referee nonsense along with impressions of Keegan and Banchero.

This was such a fun game between Murray and Banchero. They stifled each other defensively but they still managed to put up points. The best Summer League game ever and a good view of things to come for both teams.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

this is the Neemias Queta experience in a nutshell:
-Switches onto Paolo seemingly by accident, flusters him into a bad turnover.
-Thunders down the court like the giant man he is.
-Picks off a pass clearly meant for Keegan that he happened to grab because he was running out of position.
-Finishes the play with a Embiid-esque unguardable drive.

Dude made a couple of impressive plays while also failing to do a bunch of the basic things you’d kinda hope he would know how to do at this point. Not sure he’s even a rotation-level player yet but there’s definitely something there.

Last edited:
One thing that bugged me about the end is I felt it should of been a jump ball after the block, which I felt was the right call, why did they give possession to the Magic. It shouldn't matter they had possession aftwr the block when the call was for a foul on the blocked shot. The King's got punished twice on that overturned call. It would of been better, and more dramatic, to just have them jump it at the middle.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
How about the defensive stop for Murray when guarding Banchero in an end-of-game situation?! Banchero is a damn good player, Murray stopped him cold.
People forget that Murray was selected at...what was it...#4?? in the draft. There was a reason for that. Kid can play. He has shown out in three of four Summer League games so far. Raise your hand if you want to bet against him at this point.

People forget that Murray was selected at...what was it...#4?? in the draft. There was a reason for that. Kid can play. He has shown out in three of four Summer League games so far. Raise your hand if you want to bet against him at this point.
No one was saying he would be a bust. High floor, low ceiling. No face up game. Horford, Barnes, Harris. 4/3. The issue has abd always will be squeezing value from that 4th pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.