2022 Everything Free Agency/Trades Thread

Would you rather?

Barnes+Expiring+2023 top 12 protected pick for Collins

Barnes+Holmes+Expirings for Tobias-Thybulle-Springer

I think if the Sixers offered that package, I'd take that deal over Collins. Tobias-Collins are very similar in talent and we aren't tied to 5 years of Collins if it doesn't work, while getting an excellent defensive boost in Thybulle and an intriguing young player in Springer. Locks up our cap space for next year, especially since Thybulle is RFA too, but I think that's worth it?
I don't know the cap situation like some here so I can only comment on the talent portion of it. If it was up to me, I'd take the 2nd deal over the first. I don't think they would throw Springer in there but I'd do the deal anyway without him.

My only hold back would be Murray. We don't really know if he's capable of playing adequately at the 3 or if he's going to be mostly a 4 that can switch to 3 depending on the matchup. Harris is basically just a 4 these days and Collins is as well with some small ball 5 so either trade could potentially have our guy playing out of position for the majority of his minutes. Just something to think about.

Would you rather?

I think if the Sixers offered that package, I'd take that deal over Collins. Tobias-Collins are very similar in talent and we aren't tied to 5 years of Collins if it doesn't work, while getting an excellent defensive boost in Thybulle and an intriguing young player in Springer. Locks up our cap space for next year, especially since Thybulle is RFA too, but I think that's worth it? I don't see any path where you get better value than that in 2023 FA as the Kings.
The 2nd deal would be more interesting, but I still think it would be a mistake to trade Barnes for either. Collins at least makes you different though. Harrison vs Tobias comes down to fit. Barnes the last few seasons has been a better fit than Harris would be IMO. Last year they basically put up the same numbers but Harrison is playing the role of off ball role guy you'd want. He'll take 4-5 less shots per game and be just as efficient.

Would you rather?

I think if the Sixers offered that package, I'd take that deal over Collins. Tobias-Collins are very similar in talent and we aren't tied to 5 years of Collins if it doesn't work, while getting an excellent defensive boost in Thybulle and an intriguing young player in Springer. Locks up our cap space for next year, especially since Thybulle is RFA too, but I think that's worth it? I don't see any path where you get better value than that in 2023 FA as the Kings.
I’d take the Sixers deal. Harris seems more flexible as a PF/SF next to Murray, while Collins is pretty much a PF. And having to match his salary would require us to consolidate some of our contracts, and open up more roster spots for upgrade, potentially.

The 2nd deal would be more interesting, but I still think it would be a mistake to trade Barnes for either. Collins at least makes you different though. Harrison vs Tobias comes down to fit. Barnes the last few seasons has been a better fit than Harris would be IMO. Last year they basically put up the same numbers but Harrison is playing the role of off ball role guy you'd want. He'll take 4-5 less shots per game and be just as efficient.
They're fairly similar players but Tobias has had better impact stats throughout his career. He's been a little inconsistent but his highs are quite a bit higher than Harrison's highs when either is having a good season and Tobias also did that while playing for mediocre teams. Add that with Thybulle and it's something to think about.

My main concern with Barnes is 1. Would he actually want to spend the last good 3-4 years of his career with the Kings and 2. Would you actually want to sign a 31 year old Barnes to another $17+mil/season contract?

What intrigues me here is staying fairly stationary in talent with Harris=Barnes the next 2 seasons and getting 2 future potential long-term assets out of it. And you don't risk Barnes just walking OR having to overpay old Barnes.

I don't see Pop staying through a total reset. He on the way out?
This is wild, I don’t quite understand the Hawks desire to trade Collins if they’re going all in with a move like trading for Murray. Trae, Murray, Hunter, Collins, Capela is one of hell of a starting 5. Having Huerter and the young 4/5 they seem to covet as first off the bench types. Financially they just have to move off Gallinari to make it work too.

SIGN MO BAMBA!!!

The Defense is about to be really bad in the paint.. We need help shooting from 3... He's a an excellent match!!
Rumored to be getting a lot of attention right now and likely a hot ticket item in FA. But I’m with you, let’s get a rim protector on this team, the exciting part about Bamba’s is he can knock down 3’s too and space the floor a little.

They're fairly similar players but Tobias has had better impact stats throughout his career. He's been a little inconsistent but his highs are quite a bit higher than Harrison's highs when either is having a good season and Tobias also did that while playing for mediocre teams. Add that with Thybulle and it's something to think about.
I see it as a lesser fit and a lateral move at nearly twice the price. The trick is to add those types, not subtract then add. Plus they subtract all their space next offseason in the process. Go into this year, fail, and watch it go.

My question is why are the Magic perfectly okay with letting him go?
Its because they are overloaded in the frontcourt -- They made out like bandits in the Nic Vucevic trade Wendell Carter Jr's contract is dirt cheap and he was the most efficient player on their team. They drafted Banchero #1 and they have Jonathan Isaac finally returning from injury whos mostly a PF and getting paid 18 mil per season.

My main concern with Barnes is 1. Would he actually want to spend the last good 3-4 years of his career with the Kings and 2. Would you actually want to sign a 31 year old Barnes to another $17+mil/season contract?

What intrigues me here is staying fairly stationary in talent with Harris=Barnes the next 2 seasons and getting 2 future potential long-term assets out of it. And you don't risk Barnes just walking OR having to overpay old Barnes.
If they're winning or look to be on that path? I wouldn't doubt it. Literally this teams first few months of next season probably tell the story of how this goes. By this time next year it's possible you're talking new GM and setting the charges to detonate within your salary cap. I believe they can be competitive but you have to factor into things the just in case measures. If they aren't then purgatory is ahead. Again. This move essentially is a lateral one that also eliminates their flexibility for another year. Barnes could be a valuable asset at the deadline. If they put Harris in the role Barnes is right now I think he'll dip. He's getting more of a share of the Sixers offense and hovering around the same production as it is. As an iso guy he's an upgrade but is that a better fit?

Rumored to be getting a lot of attention right now and likely a hot ticket item in FA. But I’m with you, let’s get a rim protector on this team, the exciting part about Bamba’s is he can knock down 3’s too and space the floor a little.
They need to offer him like a 4 year 60 million dollar deal.

Kings letting DDV hit FA, very interested in who we’re targeting since we only have TD at 2
So stupid, they let his RFA go and he's a UFA...

Monte better have a plan that's not heavily investing in TD minutes or this is colossal miss-step. DDV was one of the better players on the team that you had team control over.