KINGS PICKING 4TH IN 2022 NBA DRAFT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are comparing Murray to Luka and Tatum now. Come on. Murray doesn’t have their handles. Show me a clip of Murray driving, rising, and popping. Show me a clip of Murray driving like a guard and creating for others like Luka. He’s going to be a solid pro, but some of these comps are just off.

Sometimes the slight difference can be a big one though. Jabari and Murray aren't wings. They have wing skills, but anyone expecting them to become one is setting them up for failure IMO. The difference with Jabari is he is going to be a nightmare 1-4 on ball defender which his insanely valuable these days.
Jabri has the physical tools to rise and pop over anyone. Murray doesn‘t.

Its also extremely tough not to pick one of Jaden Ivey or Bennedict Mathurin. Both of those guys jump off the screen when you watch them. Not sure why there isnt more hype around them honestly. Ivey has that knack for getting to the basket when he wants and has the athleticism and body control to finish when he gets there. Really good handles. Bennedict Mathurin is an explosive dunker with a great looking jump shot. Haven't seen a much of his ball handling skills though. I could definitely see a scenario where we pick Ivey and trade him for an ideal current player + pick to fill our greatest need. He is going to take many ankles in the NBA.

One smaller thing I noticed as a detraction (that many players seem to exhibit) - only saw one score with his left hand in 10 min of highlights
Yeah from the scouting vids I've seen a consistent pattern is go left, spin back. When cut off he's cut off. Very similar to Bagley in that sense. The thing Murray has that Marvin doesn't is a much better shot and understanding of iso scoring.

I thought the big pluses on Murray are defense and 3pt shooting, when I think "next Bagley" I think Banchero. Guy with questionable outside shot, doesn't play defense, went to Duke (3 strikes).

I don't necessarily think it's fair to either of them to compare to could and should have beens in 2018 though. But we need that 3 and D and if it comes from a guy that can pair nicely between Barnes and Sabonis, we've got 2 years to make this work.

That said Ivey is getting a lot of chatter on Twitter lately. Make the case he can play D and I'll hear more of it. If Monte picks him I'm fine, but I am just not excited about him.

One smaller thing I noticed as a detraction (that many players seem to exhibit) - only saw one score with his left hand in 10 min of highlights
Yeah from the scouting vids I've seen a consistent pattern is go left, spin back. When cut off he's cut off. Very similar to Bagley in that sense. The thing Murray has that Marvin doesn't is a much better shot and understanding of iso scoring.
I noticed those things as well. It’s not a deal breaker, but hard to tell until he’s actually in the league. Mike Bibby could never score with his left hand. The one thing that would be interesting is to see whether he’s completely one sided. Bagley took that to an extreme where he would go after blocks with only his left hand—even if the player is on his right shoulder, instead of using his right hand, he would turn his entire body to go after the block with his left. Often losing split seconds and screwing up the play.

I thought the big pluses on Murray are defense and 3pt shooting, when I think "next Bagley" I think Banchero. Guy with questionable outside shot, doesn't play defense, went to Duke (3 strikes).

I don't necessarily think it's fair to either of them to compare to could and should have beens in 2018 though. But we need that 3 and D and if it comes from a guy that can pair nicely between Barnes and Sabonis, we've got 2 years to make this work.

That said Ivey is getting a lot of chatter on Twitter lately. Make the case he can play D and I'll hear more of it. If Monte picks him I'm fine, but I am just not excited about him.
Come on. Banchero ain’t nothing like Bagley. It’s okay to not like a player, but at least give relevant comps.

I am speaking strictly from a PF who isn't a defensive presence or a stretch 4. These seem to be modern requirements for the position.
That's true but it doesn't make the other things untrue, and I had questions about Banchero early when he was just bullying dudes. As the season wore on you saw more of that play making ability. That is a huge thing in the NBA right now. Julius Randle even made an all star game because of the value in that. If you can put Banchero up top in a triple threat and get all three aspects, defense be darned, you probably have a star. He's more Jabari Parker/older Blake Griffin and without injuries Parker might make a few all star squads himself.

I am speaking strictly from a PF who isn't a defensive presence or a stretch 4. These seem to be modern requirements for the position.
That's true but it doesn't make the other things untrue, and I had questions about Banchero early when he was just bullying dudes. As the season wore on you saw more of that play making ability. That is a huge thing in the NBA right now. Julius Randle even made an all star game because of the value in that. If you can put Banchero up top in a triple threat and get all three aspects, defense be darned, you probably have a star. He's more Jabari Parker/older Blake Griffin and without injuries Parker might make a few all star squads himself.
If he’s not providing elite offensive numbers, sure. You’re drafting Banchero, because of his offense.

Speaking of which, people are comparing Murray to Tatum/Doncic. Banchero, like Tatum and Doncic, actually has the ability to face up, drive and score or create against a set defense. Murray doesn’t have that in his game.

It seems like there is already a lot of buyer's remorse on Randle's contract in NY. I rate Smith and Murray so highly because they play the en vogue brand for the position right now (as well as contribute on D). So they will have more value if things don't work here I think. And that's without getting into the fact that we already have two guys with more inside/midrange games who are questionable on defense as our top 2 players.

I'm not hearing anyone suggest that Murray won't be able to D at the NBA level or will drop 10 points in 3-pt %, just that he doesn't have the "it" factor of the guys who have been hyped all season. I guess I need to be convinced that Murray's pluses aren't real to back me off the excitement.

Anyways, watch him go 3 or something.

I'm still looking at all options, but Banchero offers so much more playmaking than Bagley ever did.

I also think his lapses on defense are a lot more about effort/energy rather than the lack of awareness that MB3 showed.

If you are focused on a Fox/Sabonis core, Jabari Smith looks to be the most seamless fit among this year's class.

But if we're just talking BPA, I don't know that Banchero isn't the top prospect. I won't have as much time to review film this draft, but after going back and rewatching some Duke games I'm higher on Paolo and Mark Williams than I was previously and even lower on AJ Griffin. But that may change.

I'm still looking at all options, but Banchero offers so much more playmaking than Bagley ever did.

I also think his lapses on defense are a lot more about effort/energy rather than the lack of awareness that MB3 showed.

If you are focused on a Fox/Sabonis core, Jabari Smith looks to be the most seamless fit among this year's class.

But if we're just talking BPA, I don't know that Banchero isn't the top prospect. I won't have as much time to review film this draft, but after going back and rewatching some Duke games I'm higher on Paolo and Mark Williams than I was previously and even lower on AJ Griffin. But that may change.
I would take Banchero with the first pick.

It seems like there is already a lot of buyer's remorse on Randle's contract in NY. I rate Smith and Murray so highly because they play the en vogue brand for the position right now (as well as contribute on D). So they will have more value if things don't work here I think. And that's without getting into the fact that we already have two guys with more inside/midrange games who are questionable on defense as our top 2 players.

I'm not hearing anyone suggest that Murray won't be able to D at the NBA level or will drop 10 points in 3-pt %, just that he doesn't have the "it" factor of the guys who have been hyped all season. I guess I need to be convinced that Murray's pluses aren't real to back me off the excitement.

Anyways, watch him go 3 or something.
There is, but that could be the Thibs effect, haha. Thibs can make players look really good or bad depending on the moment.

I did like some of the blocks the Murray had, better than average for his size no doubt. He looks like a good player. And Ivey may be taken, and/or they're interested in a trade down perhaps.

Ivey has the high-octane athleticism that looks exciting to watch. Will it translate to wins? Whos knows..... Get him out there with Fox, and there might be some camaraderie and additional harmonics if they play together. I wanna see some energy infusion.

I

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
LETS GO

That said … It’s Ham. We don’t really see many leaks nowadays, and also potential smokescreens and what have you.

Buuuuuuuuuut, it benefits MY mental health to believe it’s true, SO LETS GO!
Aren't you also pissed that Monte hired Mike Brown instead of Mark Jackson?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Aren't you also pissed that Monte hired Mike Brown instead of Mark Jackson?
Not on coaching merits. I have next to no faith in either dude as a coach, Jackson just has higher trainwreck potential and sometimes bottoming out is what you need instead of … more of the same.

Its also extremely tough not to pick one of Jaden Ivey or Bennedict Mathurin. Both of those guys jump off the screen when you watch them. Not sure why there isnt more hype around them honestly. Ivey has that knack for getting to the basket when he wants and has the athleticism and body control to finish when he gets there. Really good handles. Bennedict Mathurin is an explosive dunker with a great looking jump shot. Haven't seen a much of his ball handling skills though. I could definitely see a scenario where we pick Ivey and trade him for an ideal current player + pick to fill our greatest need. He is going to take many ankles in the NBA.
See I keep hearing Ivey being tied to the Kings in each of these draft boards. Problem is people are legit thinking he is going to be Ja but I don't see that. People keep forgetting we tried to put another ball dominant guard next to Fox and said it will work and it didnt, and Hali is a better passer and far far better shooter than Ivey. In fact Ivey is basically a thicker fox, more vertically explosive perhaps, but not as fast. Id be fine with Ivey if we had traded fox and kept hali, but we didnt and should not move Fox to make a place of Ivey. Nor do i think moving mitchell to make that room is a good idea. Im really hoping we dont become the basketball equivalent of the early 2000s Detroit lions (they drafted a WR in multiple drafts back to back and we will draft PGs). We have committed on multiple front to Fox. I think with this off season to gel with Ox and work on their respective games, he will come out starting where he left off (averaging 29/7 in his last 16 since the trade)

As for Kings not being high on Murray, i think the single best fit is Jabari Smith but i honetly think he is going #1 or 2. But if he drops to 4 I'd snap him up and be extatic. BUT the likelihood is that Bonchero, Ivey or Murray will be the ones there. Bonchero has more up side but is not a good fit with ox or fox (questionable shooting, not a particularly good defender). Murray is the best fit of these 3. I could see holmgren (if drops) evolve into a Dirk type player, but i could also see him be bargniani (which is more likely). Still, im ok taking him, if he is there. But Ivey, please no more scoring point guards who cant shoot. We already have 2 of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.