Bagley refused to come into game

Lmao, so much for the “At least he’s being a good teammate” stuff that’s been his saving Grace this year.

I’ve said my piece for 3+ years now so I’m not gonna pile it on too much more other than;

SEND HIS BUTT HOME

I lied. I’m saying more. Is it pettiness or lack of drive to say no? Imagine talking all this talk about how good you’ll be and when you get a chance to get some minutes and show a fool what they’re missing you say “Na.” Just absolutely pathetic.

Good freakin’ riddance to bad apples.
Guys like Bagley (and Simmons) are prima donnas at heart, then when they don’t perform their “camps” fill their heads with all kinds of nonsense about how great they are and how they are being mistreated. Their agents don’t help matters with the bad advice they give to these boneheads to pout and thereby “force a trade”. It’s all adds up to a REALLY bad look for the players involved. MBIII’s reputation is tarnished at this point - he appears to be a cancer with questionable value as an NBA player to boot.

Guys like Bagley (and Simmons) are prima donnas at heart, then when they don’t perform their “camps” fill their heads with all kinds of nonsense about how great they are and how they are being mistreated.
Unfortunately, the list doesn’t begin or end with either of those players. That’s the sad reality.

A long list of prima donna examples among ALL major sports can be listed. It didn’t start with the current generation, it’s just grown worse and become more accepted.

Player/family and agent entitlement has been an evolving thing for a long time. They have collectively become more powerful over time. The age of the Internet and social media was akin to pouring gasoline on an already large fire.

I'm certainly not tireless. I'm quite tired of defending Bagley against the barrage of assaults that he's gotten from his own fanbase since the moment he was selected in the draft instead of Golden Boy. Loyal? To Bagley, not necessarily. The guy seems like a chucklehead to me. To the idea that we have, on our roster for one more year, a player at 22 years old with the size/athleticism/skill to develop into an all-star, and that as such we ought to play and develop him rather than bench him because of squabbles with the coach? Yes, I'm loyal to that. Maybe he doesn't pan out, I can accept that. But at this point, on top of his injuries, it's pretty clear that he's been behind the eight ball with Walton from the moment Luke stepped in, and this final year of his contract now appears to be completely burned. All-stars don't grow on trees and they damn well don't sign free agent contracts in Sacramento, so if we want to actually be a good team again, we need to develop the potential all-stars that we have. With Fox, we've done a decent job of it. At least he plays. He's not perfect. His defensive effort is spotty, his jumper isn't good and hasn't really improved...but he plays. But Bagley? No. His potential is completely wasted because the coach doesn't like him. Ultimately, how far back is Walton's refusal to play and develop Bagley going to set our perpetual rebuild? If we're "lucky", 0 years, because Bagley turns out to be a stiff. But what if Bagley gets booted out of Sacramento, lands somewhere else and develops into his actual potential, becomes a player that we'd kill to have on our team? Are we set back 3, 4, 5 years because of our coach? So yes, I'm loyal to the idea that we should be playing and developing Bagley. It's common sense.

I can look at Luke and say he's in over his head because his record - which is much longer than Bagley's - is terrible. Bagley has barely clocked 3000 minutes, and he's 22. Walton has coached 19300+ minutes (5 full seasons, plus this one), his best finish was 8 more losses than wins, and he is literally the only coach in the past 16 years under whom LeBron has missed the playoffs. We all watch his lineups, and his decision making, and we watch his teams go on inexplicable 9-game skids three times a year. The dude ain't got it. Sure, he "coached" the '15-'16 Warriors to 39-4, but let's be honest. Put ME in that chair and the Warriors probably go 38-5. Put a Jell-O Salad in that chair and the Warriors don't do worse than 37-6. But in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, he hasn't led a team to the playoffs in 5 chances, and he's doing his best to make it six in a row. The only reason Luke is still here is that he's under contract. That's it. He has no future in the league as a successful head coach. At least there's a chance that Bagley pans out, and we're wasting it. That's the difference.
This 1000%.

The usual counter argument to this is that aside from injuries, he was given every opportunity. Well, no he wasn't. He's been played out of position, which is not a true opportunity. He's a natural 5 who Luke decided to make a stretch 4. In no reality should a coach be thinking that the ultra athletic rookie, who collects rebounds with ease, runs the floor like a gazelle, specializes in easy put backs and rim running should play the same role as Bjelica.
Defense? The team is terrible at defense. If the coach can't get the vets to play defense, how are they going to develop a rookie into a better defender?

Suppressing everything that Marvin is good at and having him sit in the corner and shoot 3s and defend the perimeter is not actually giving him an opportunity to succeed. What Walton is doing is setting him up for failure and hiding behind the fact that he gave him minutes.

An example I use with friends is drafting Buster Posey and having him compete at SS and then saying whelp, we gave him a shot when he loses out to Brandon Crawford.

I'm all for players being accountable for their own success, but the game is hard enough without the obstacles this organization puts in front of its young players. When Marvin is traded, it will not break my heart. My concern is that the team is scapegoating players, but not really addressing the true issues.

This 1000%.

The usual counter argument to this is that aside from injuries, he was given every opportunity. Well, no he wasn't. He's been played out of position, which is not a true opportunity. He's a natural 5 who Luke decided to make a stretch 4. In no reality should a coach be thinking that the ultra athletic rookie, who collects rebounds with ease, runs the floor like a gazelle, specializes in easy put backs and rim running should play the same role as Bjelica.
Defense? The team is terrible at defense. If the coach can't get the vets to play defense, how are they going to develop a rookie into a better defender?

Suppressing everything that Marvin is good at and having him sit in the corner and shoot 3s and defend the perimeter is not actually giving him an opportunity to succeed. What Walton is doing is setting him up for failure and hiding behind the fact that he gave him minutes.

An example I use with friends is drafting Buster Posey and having him compete at SS and then saying whelp, we gave him a shot when he loses out to Brandon Crawford.

I'm all for players being accountable for their own success, but the game is hard enough without the obstacles this organization puts in front of its young players. When Marvin is traded, it will not break my heart. My concern is that the team is scapegoating players, but not really addressing the true issues.
Yeah the Kings coaching/management has f-d Bagley, who hasn't done himself any favors either. It's a clown-show big-top.

I would be totally fine if Bagley and Walton are gone.

The arguments that I don't get is why fans and Brandon Williams (the person, who bears the responsibility for Bagley over Doncic and the reason why Joeger got fired) think Bagley should've been given more opportunities. This was true when Joeger was here. It's true now with Walton.

Bagley was given every opportunity. Yea, some of the blame goes to injuries. But dude didn't jump levels the way #2 picks are supposed to. He had offseasons to develop his body and plenty off the court time to study film. How do you spend four years in the league and still have no defensive awareness. How do you spend four years and still have no offensive development?

Honestly, the Kings screwed up by not sending Bagley to the G-league. In fact, they should do that now. He's healthy.

Oh no! Anyway, it has been obvious for quite sometime that it's better for the Kings and Bagley to go their separate ways. There's no point in prolonging the torture.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
This 1000%.

In today's NBA Bagley is a five because there really aren't any traditional PFs left and that's his best fit IMO.

His offensive game is suited to being a five but he doesn't offer rim protection and is statistically one of the absolute worst interior defenders in the entire league.

The biggest problem for Bagley is that there just isn't a good positional fit for him. He hasn't expanded his offensive game enough to be a big wing/PF in today's game and he hasn't improved on defense enough to play as the lone big.

If he had Giannis level talent then you deal with his shortcomings and build around him but he's not that good a player to warrant that.

So you have a player with a knack for scoring inside, a good enough jumper to keep defenses honest and solid rebounding with terrible defense.

I've already said that the Kings should try starting him to see if it adds a spark but that's only because Harkless isn't really providing anything. Long term I think Bagley's career will be somewhere between Jahlil Okafor and Enes Kanter as a scoring big off the bench whose minutes will always be limited by his poor defense and black hole tendencies on offense.

Last edited:
In today's NBA Bagley is a five because there really aren't any traditional PFs left and that's his best fit IMO.

His offensive game is suited to being a five but he doesn't offer rim protection and is statistically one of the absolute worst interior defenders in the entire league.

The biggest problem for Bagley is that there just isn't a good positional fit for him. He hasn't expanded his offensive game enough to be a big wing/PF on today's game and he hasn't improved on defense enough to play as the lone big.

If he had Giannis level talent then you deal with his shortcomings and build around him but he's not that good a player to warrant that.

So you have a player with a knack for scoring inside, a good enough jumper to keep defenses honest and solid rebounding with terrible defense.

I've already said that the Kings should try starting him to see if it adds a spark but that's only because Harkless isn't really providing anything. Long term I think Bagley's career will be somewhere between Jahlil Okafor and Enes Kanter as a scoring big off the bench whose minutes will always be limited by his poor defense and black hole tendencies on offense.
I understand the argument of him not being able to play the 5 because of defense. Even if I don't 100% agree with some of the reasons given for his struggles.

However, when some say there is no place in the league for a guy who can sleep walk himself to a double double, I have to cry foul.

@funkykingston, you've been more than fair with your arguments. My push back is on the extreme emotional takes.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I think the extreme emotional takes have been sparked in part by his dad and his agent. People are fed up with it. I’ve supported Bagley for a long time and think there is still potential there but at this point, with the dad and agent, he needs to go for all parties involved.

I don’t think Walton has helped him at all and I’m all for changing coaches but one has to acknowledge that Walton is fighting for his coaching career right now and if he doesn’t think Bagley helps then not sure I can blame him but on the other hand, Walton should have been able to bring out more from the kid. As Sean Cunningham said, Bagley may be a bust but there is untapped potential there and if you dump Walton and bring in the next guy this season, will that guy be able to unlock some of it. And for the record, I think Walton is terrible at unlocking potential and tries to fit guys into roles not suited for them but suited for Walton’s schemes and that is the main reason he needs to go.

The other reason to keep Bagley around is he is an expiring contract

I understand the argument of him not being able to play the 5 because of defense. Even if I don't 100% agree with some of the reasons given for his struggles.

However, when some say there is no place in the league for a guy who can sleep walk himself to a double double, I have to cry foul.

@funkykingston, you've been more than fair with your arguments. My push back is on the extreme emotional takes.
Bagley isn't strong enough to compete against most 5's in the NBA

Andre Drummond can sleepwalk his walk his way to even more impressive double doubles and he is a backup center

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member

I could easily see Bagley having a 10+ year NBA career if he can stay healthy. The question is what his ceiling is. Doesn't look like we'll get any answers to that this year, but if he goes somewhere else we'll get a clearer picture based on both the contract(s) he's offered and the role he ends up playing.

My guess is that he settles into a reserve/sometime starter role and realizes that he won't be a star but can tailor his game to be a contributor as a bench scorer and rebounder. If that's the case, it will probably take 1-2 more seasons before it sinks in that he's not going to be a star in the NBA and will need to adapt.

He's only 22 (23 in March) and he has a lot of natural talent so it's still possible that he could become something more but not a lot of guys break out after four seasons of relatively little improvement.

I didn’t say he wasn’t in the league, but he can put up massive stats and is still generally a not in high demand backup. The point is that putting up double doubles alone doesn’t mean what it used to.
Just because Drummond is playing for the min, doesn't mean he didn't have other opportunities. Hes trying to win like all the other vets who hang on the coat tails of other starts. But hes no slouch and hes not 22 like Bagley either. A walking double double is in fact exactly what it use to be. Kings would like to have one of those right now given how badly we've been out re bounded. And Coach with two good eyes can see that using a undersides Center along with a underside PF, along with 3 guards = no rebounding. Pair 3 guards with 2 strong rebounders and you just might have something.

If you put Holmes attitude/ethic in Bagley's body you'd have what we all expected.
And if the Kings would have simply put him in the spot they gave to Holmes, Marvin would have been traded by now since he would likely have maintained some level of trade value. Even with the injuries his production would have been decent. Bad franchises get too locked in on their perception of scouting and long term development rather than looking to maximize asset value in order to sell high. Once a player looks to have maxed out their potential or hasn't produced in 2 seasons, heck even 1 nowadays, value is lost. On a number 2 pick, it's a hard, hard pill to swallow.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
And if the Kings would have simply put him in the spot they gave to Holmes, Marvin would have been traded by now since he would likely have maintained some level of trade value. Even with the injuries his production would have been decent. Bad franchises get too locked in on their perception of scouting and long term development rather than looking to maximize asset value in order to sell high. Once a player looks to have maxed out their potential or hasn't produced in 2 seasons, heck even 1 nowadays, value is lost. On a number 2 pick, it's a hard, hard pill to swallow.
Unfortunately the injuries really shut down our ability to showcase and move. Or hell even try to make him fit. Obviously Holmes wasn't brought here as the #1 option, it was supposed to be a Dedmon/Bagley pairing, and if both had improved upon their 2018/2019 season it may have even worked. Instead they've left a trail of bodies.

He can form an unstoppable dangerous with Jimmer in Shanghai.
Detroit is still looking his direction apparently. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of these young teams looks his way and makes the Kings look like total idiots when the Kings eventually just cut him. I don't think he'll get Harry Giles treatment from the league. Who knows though. Had Harry had interest from a team like that he might have gotten a fair shake too.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Detroit is still looking his direction apparently. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of these young teams looks his way and makes the Kings look like total idiots when the Kings eventually just cut him. I don't think he'll get Harry Giles treatment from the league. Who knows though. Had Harry had interest from a team like that he might have gotten a fair shake too.
We're not going to cut him before the trade deadline since he at least is an expiring chunk of salary for a future trade. I think its a reasonable chance he gets moved between Dec 15 and the all star break.