[The Athletic] Kings request permission to interview candidates for head of basketball operations

Status
Not open for further replies.
i hope we pick a GM that does things the right way and does not take a shortcut to the playoffs. We want to have a winning team not make the playoffs once every 15 years

dude12

Hall of Famer
I read up on the Heat guy Simon briefly. Worked with Riley for like ever. Has turned down overtures from Denver and I think Atlanta. Doesn’t seem likely to come here.

Need intel on these guys. Need Amish to drop an article in The Athletic talking about these guys

Read a piece on Sachin Gupta that Carmichael Dave linked on Twitter......from 2017. He was behind several of Hinkie’s deals including the Kings deal...you know THE Kings deal where Vlade gave up the pick. I think when Hinkie left so did Gupta.....so interesting
Well anyone that was that close to Hinkie flys to the top of the list for me and he was able to get out of the Wiggins contract.

I read up on the Heat guy Simon briefly. Worked with Riley for like ever. Has turned down overtures from Denver and I think Atlanta. Doesn’t seem likely to come here.

Need intel on these guys. Need Amish to drop an article in The Athletic talking about these guys
If he didn’t go to Denver he’s not showing up here, next

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Anyone affiliated with Rockets might be the right guy. Maybe he can get dibs on D'Antoni if the Rox end up letting him go. Although it sounds like Morey is wanting him back.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Minus Simon, not exactly the list I was expecting.
Yeah, definitely more of a unknown or up and coming list. That could mean one of a few things, Dumars is looking for a lackey or they want someone to come in with a whole new idea which could mean a full blow up. Those would both be likely negatives for the time being.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Read a piece on Sachin Gupta that Carmichael Dave linked on Twitter......from 2017. He was behind several of Hinkie’s deals including the Kings deal...you know THE Kings deal where Vlade gave up the pick. I think when Hinkie left so did Gupta.....so interesting
Yet probably a deal that Vlade in the end didn't really lose per se.

Did more reading on Simon. That is the guy. He is the talent identifier in Miami. To get him, we would have to give up control, and open the vault o money. Only way he comes is by making it worth his while. Don’t think it’s going to happen
Hes not coming here if he declined Denver it’s not happening

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Did more reading on Simon. That is the guy. He is the talent identifier in Miami. To get him, we would have to give up control, and open the vault o money. Only way he comes is by making it worth his while. Don’t think it’s going to happen
Does that come with the coach too because I think he's the key. I certainly don't see a team bustling with talent nor do I see a draft record that knocks your socks off.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The best part of that list is the name Scott Perry is omitted from it. Maybe, just maybe the Kings are doing things correctly.

If Perry was truly the reason behind the first summer in forever that made some sense then cool. It might have been a him or Vlade affair and Vivek chose wrong. As long as it's not some insider BS and there is a reason we aren't aware of then whatever. Just choose the right person and that person is the one that can come in and looks at this roster and gives you a vision of how to carry forward and what went wrong to begin with. That person also comes in with either a list of coaching candidates or a plan to get the coach you have the right players for his system.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Look at where they picked, who they chose and what undrafted talent is on the Heat.
I see proper usage more than anything. Erik Spoelstra is the real freaking deal. He knows what his team is and he's using it for what it is. And this isn't his first go around doing it.

So far this isn't the type of list you truly roll out the red carpet for. Unless you get desperate that is. However this is the type of list where you have individuals who will get a little leery depending on the challenge they are required to take on as a new a younger GM. That's why I think the list should be heavily favored towards individuals that see the potential in this roster and know as much about the game on the court as they do off.

The Warriors management, Larry Bird, Jerry West. That's who you roll out the red carpet for or even offer partial ownership to. Not the list we're seeing as of yet. Although we all know Sacramento is going to have pay a past transgressions fee for sure.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Yeah, definitely more of a unknown or up and coming list. That could mean one of a few things, Dumars is looking for a lackey or they want someone to come in with a whole new idea which could mean a full blow up. Those would both be likely negatives for the time being.
Or, if we are currently paying for a fired GM and may be paying for a coach that is let go too they may think that they can get similar quality for a slightly lower price by not chasing after the biggest names? I know, I know, money shouldn't be a consideration but with the current state of the league and team income I don't think you can ignore it.

Status
Not open for further replies.