Kuzma for Bogi Rumor....sigh

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
At the moment, moving Bogdan makes complete sense considering his role, his contract, and the Kings current state. If he walked while you are a legit contender it would be one thing, but if the Kings don't turn this around they really can't afford the possibility of him walking restricted or not. I would much rather see them go after someone like Justise Winslow or OG Anunoby if possible. An athletic true 3/4 that can defend. They clearly have too many mouths to feed as is. Kuzma and Bagley don't make a great combo on paper with the other pieces on this team.

Making the Lakers championship favorites via trade is my line in the sand. We do NOT trade with the Lakers. Period. If Vlade calls Vivek to finalize a Kuzma deal, then Vivek should fire him on the spot. Eating Vlade’s contract will be much less costly than the ensuing fan apathy after handing the Lakers another title. Vlade and Luke may think fondly of Jeannie and pals, but they better remember who they are working for.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The only thing about 24 year old Kuzma is that he is very injury prone as well. He missed more games than Bogdan this year. In fact he missed more or same amount of games as Bogdan in each of their 3 years in the league.
I'll take my chances! Having not witnessed the causes of Kuzma's injuries, I'll take him over Bogs who literally pulls up lame with no contact whatsoever. Been there, done that for three years. I'll role the dice with Kuzma.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Making the Lakers championship favorites via trade is my line in the sand. We do NOT trade with the Lakers. Period. If Vlade calls Vivek to finalize a Kuzma deal, then Vivek should fire him on the spot. Eating Vlade’s contract will be much less costly than the ensuing fan apathy after handing the Lakers another title. Vlade and Luke may think fondly of Jeannie and pals, but they better remember who they are working for.
I don't think you trade Bogdan to them unless they pay the extra price for sure. There's enough smoke to know they want him. Kuzma is a solid player but not a great fit. I wouldn't count on Vlade doing anyone a favor. Especially not Luke who probably as a pretty bad taste in his mouth from his Lakers coaching experience.

Considering we are not keeping Bogi and he's most likely to bail for Dallas getting anything back for him atm is a good thing, Kuzma still has 2 years left making under 2mil. I admit I don't watch many Lakers but he's shown more in his two season than any of our young players (not named Fox), 18ppg on 45% is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus Barnes would play the 4 and Kuz would play the 3 imo and they would switch a lot, also getting Kuzma allows us to try move Barnes and we get what Barnes does at a fraction of the cost. I would rather him Kuzma over Barnes both are low impact players but Kuzma costs nothing.

A Kumza trade would probably be the end of Giles/Bjelica.
I’m not making the Lakers championship favorites call dallas for Seth or Milwaukee for a 1st other than that let him expire trade buddy and promise Bogi a starting spot. Trading him to LA is a non starter

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't think you trade Bogdan to them unless they pay the extra price for sure. There's enough smoke to know they want him. Kuzma is a solid player but not a great fit. I wouldn't count on Vlade doing anyone a favor. Especially not Luke who probably as a pretty bad taste in his mouth from his Lakers coaching experience.
What I like is Bogs is being talked about by the Lakers, and my guess is several playoff teams are interested. I can see Philly and the Bucks being very interested. There's no need to rush it. Let the bidding begin.

I’m not making the Lakers championship favorites call dallas for Seth or Milwaukee for a 1st other than that let him expire trade buddy and promise Bogi a starting spot. Trading him to LA is a non starter
I don't see how Bogi makes them favorites, Kuzma at previous 2 seasons level does, but I sort of agree with you but would rather DFS than Curry. I don't care about the Lakers the Kings have to do things to get better (this might not be a good move I don't know) but both him and Bogi are talented and both have regressed from their rookie level play.

I would trade with the Lakers if it meant they won the next 10 titles but the Kings were a consistent playoff team.

I'm really surprised more teams are not interested in Bjelica to me he would really help a good team

Kuzma is a major talent and shouldn't be dismissed. The anti-Kuzma sentiment reminds me of the anti-LaVine sentiment we heard over the summer. Walton has coached him so he knows what he's getting if they make a deal. Usually, the seller knows more than the buyer; in this case the buyer used to be the seller. Bogs is an injury happening, not waiting to happen. What do you want - Bogs who is 27 going on 37 years of age, or 24 year old Kuzma? It's a no brainer. I wouldn't include any first rounder, but there's plenty of mediocrity on the Kings roster that might fill the bill if need be. It wouldn't surprise me if more Kings and Lakers players are included in a deal.

The Love deal makes no sense unless it is a 3-way deal that send Love to the Lakers. Given Love's recent tantrum in Cleveland, no way does he want to go to Sacto. He'd just go do a head-stand in the corner and scream. Not the greatest thing for team chemistry.
Agree if Giles/JJ new or old or any of our young players were putting up 18/5 on 45% people would be having strokes and comparing their per 36 numbers to all time greats. Those numbers had many arguing giving Barnes 90mil was somehow a good deal.....

Also forgot to say the whole don't trade with the Lakers reasoning is why we are stuck with Bumble B Hield instead of Ingram/Randle/whatever else since we didn't trade with the Lakers when we should have not trading with the Lakers has not worked out great recently.

Last edited:
It's a nice facade. I don't buy it. I think the Kings would do that deal in a heartbeat.
Probably not. Kuzma was the player in question bad mouthing Orlando saying playing in LA was worth more than Orl because of the glitz and glam regardless of the contract amount. Hard pass on that ass.

Kuzma is a major talent and shouldn't be dismissed. The anti-Kuzma sentiment reminds me of the anti-LaVine sentiment we heard over the summer. Walton has coached him so he knows what he's getting if they make a deal. Usually, the seller knows more than the buyer; in this case the buyer used to be the seller. Bogs is an injury happening, not waiting to happen. What do you want - Bogs who is 27 going on 37 years of age, or 24 year old Kuzma? It's a no brainer. I wouldn't include any first rounder, but there's plenty of mediocrity on the Kings roster that might fill the bill if need be. It wouldn't surprise me if more Kings and Lakers players are included in a deal.

The Love deal makes no sense unless it is a 3-way deal that send Love to the Lakers. Given Love's recent tantrum in Cleveland, no way does he want to go to Sacto. He'd just go do a head-stand in the corner and scream. Not the greatest thing for team chemistry.
You say it like LaVine proved us wrong or something. He's the same player he's always been and he will never lead a team to the playoffs as the first or second option.

If we're going to trade Bogdan then I'd rather it be for something other than Kuzma. He's a terrible defender, terrible rebounder, poor shooter and poor passer. He's basically a poor man's Jabari Parker. I'd rather trade Bogie for a bag of chips because at least a bag of chips isn't going to shoot the ball 20 times a game and play bad defense.

Sure, trade away one of the few above average ball handlers and shooters the team has for a player that doesn't do both at the same high level. Kuzma can shoot (sometimes) but isn't in any way a ball handler.

KINGS need more dual threat players, not less.

If there is any truth this rumor, then Vlade is going full Terminator T1000 panic mode. Because it's time to make good on his promise to quit if the team isn't where it's supposed to be. Now I sense he's hedging on that promise and about to force another mistake.

Last edited:
I don't see how Bogi makes them favorites, Kuzma at previous 2 seasons level does, but I sort of agree with you but would rather DFS than Curry. I don't care about the Lakers the Kings have to do things to get better (this might not be a good move I don't know) but both him and Bogi are talented and both have regressed from their rookie level play.

I would trade with the Lakers if it meant they won the next 10 titles but the Kings were a consistent playoff team.

I'm really surprised more teams are not interested in Bjelica to me he would really help a good team
Kuzma is mediocre getting a ball handling guard for them would be huge and all the open 3s he’d have with AD and the self proclaimed king.

Philly and get Thybulle.
I have an extremely hard time seeing Philly move Thybulle.

Their payroll is very high. Their going to be paying $131 mil just across Harris, Embiid, Simmons, Horford, & Richardson next year (the cap is projected to be $116 mil and that's if the China situation doesn't impact anything). They need cheap players like Thybulle who can give them on court value. I would be shocked if they move him unless it's packaging him with someone like Harris, Simmons, Horford, or Embiid to return a better fitting star.

Moving him for Bogdan means they are now adding another $15-17 mil to their payroll next year (if they want to keep him) and now you are approaching $150 mil across 6 players when the luxury tax is projected to be $141 mil next year (again, assuming the China situation doesn't impact this projection). Then you have Scott & Smith who are guaranteed next year (another $8.2 mil). So now you're at a payroll of $158 mil across 8 players. Then you're likely filling out the roster with rookie deals, min deal, etc. so you're probably looking at an average of $1.5 mil * 7 players. That's another $10.5 mil. Meaning their ending payroll would likely be approaching $170 mil (when the luxury tax is $141 mil). As a comparison, the highest payroll this year is $145 mil.

I'd cross Thybulle off our list of potential "gets."

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You say it like LaVine proved us wrong or something. He's the same player he's always been and he will never lead a team to the playoffs as the first or second option.

If we're going to trade Bogdan then I'd rather it be for something other than Kuzma. He's a terrible defender, terrible rebounder, poor shooter and poor passer. He's basically a poor man's Jabari Parker. I'd rather trade Bogie for a bag of chips because at least a bag of chips isn't going to shoot the ball 20 times a game and play bad defense.
What's so great about Bogdan? He's been injured for the most of the season. Sure, he's been on the court for most of the season, but ever since he got the hammy he's been "lame" Bogs. Just hasn't played up to expectations at all. This year is no diff from the other two. I can see a playoff team rationally taking an interest in him because they just want him to get healthy and give them some good games in the playoffs. He could be a difference maker in that regard. For a team wanting to get to the playoffs, on the other hand, he's an entirely different story, as he's going to be too injured for such a long period that he'll not help your club and in some ways will take minutes from others that might have a chance to develop into core players. Bogs will never be a core player because his body won't allow it.

I think Jabari is a poor man's Kuzma. And while we're talking about D, I certainly don't see Bogdan as a stopper. *When healthy* he can be a C to B defender, but that's like saying when Nome Alaska is warm you can wear shorts.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

Their payroll is very high. Their going to be paying $131 mil just across Harris, Embiid, Simmons, Horford, & Richardson next year (the cap is projected to be $116 mil and that's if the China situation doesn't impact anything). They need cheap players like Thybulle who can give them on court value. I would be shocked if they move him unless it's packaging him with someone like Harris, Simmons, Horford, or Embiid to return a better fitting star.

I hope you're wrong! I'd love for the Kings to get him!

I hope you're wrong! I'd love for the Kings to get him!
I edited my post above to go into more detail about how the payroll would play out next year for PHI. Take a look. I'd be very, very surprised to see a Bogdan for Thybulle trade.

Besides the payroll argument, Thybulle (in a vacuum) has more trade value than Bogdan anyway. We'd have to add value to that type of trade. He has 3.5 more years on his rookie deal (making a measly $2.5-$4.4 mil per year across his contract). He's already at an all-nba level defensively (he's actually really fun & entertaining to watch defensively too). Offensively, he has a .592 TS%, .463 3PT%, & 1.32 AST:TO.

At the moment, moving Bogdan makes complete sense considering his role, his contract, and the Kings current state. If he walked while you are a legit contender it would be one thing, but if the Kings don't turn this around they really can't afford the possibility of him walking restricted or not. I would much rather see them go after someone like Justise Winslow or OG Anunoby if possible. An athletic true 3/4 that can defend. They clearly have too many mouths to feed as is. Kuzma and Bagley don't make a great combo on paper with the other pieces on this team.
But the "state", aka overpaying Buddy, Barnes, and Dedmon and not forseeing this event coming down the pipe and chosing all of those player over retaining Bogdon is a perfect example of MORONIC management. It isn't like you couldn't see this coming. I just don't get it.

Pay him. Stop making dumb moves and eating up the cap. Dump Buddy if you need to. This is such a stupid position to be in.

Last edited:

Moving him for Bogdan means they are now adding another $15-17 mil to their payroll next year (if they want to keep him) and now you are approaching $150 mil across 6 players when the luxury tax is projected to be $141 mil next year (again, assuming the China situation doesn't impact this projection). Then you have Scott & Smith who are guaranteed next year (another $8.2 mil). So now you're at a payroll of $158 mil across 8 players. Then you're likely filling out the roster with rookie deals, min deal, etc. so you're probably looking at an average of $1.5 mil * 7 players. That's another $10.5 mil. Meaning their ending payroll would likely be approaching $170 mil (when the luxury tax is $141 mil). As a comparison, the highest payroll this year is $145 mil.

BUT Bogdanovic gives philly a much needed playmaker between Simmons and Imbiid and a shot to win it all THIS year.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I edited my post above to go into more detail about how the payroll would play out next year for PHI. Take a look. I'd be very, very surprised to see a Bogdan for Thybulle trade.

Besides the payroll argument, Thybulle (in a vacuum) has more trade value than Bogdan anyway. We'd have to add value to that type of trade. He has 3.5 more years on his rookie deal (making a measly $2.5-$4.4 mil per year across his contract). He's already at an all-nba level defensively (he's actually really fun & entertaining to watch defensively too). Offensively, he has a .592 TS%, .463 3PT%, & 1.32 AST:TO.
I don't think he does have more trade value. I'll tell you why. The rookie Thybulle is not going to be a difference maker in the playoffs. No way no how can Philly count on him coming up big in that scenario this year. And Philly is dead set on an NBA championship this year. So if you have a pressure player like Bogs who has a track record of such and you have a Thybulle with no playoff history, Philly is going to roll the dice with Bogs all day long and night over Thybulle. If they trade for Bogs now all they have to do is get him healthy and acclimated into their team for the playoffs in April, May and June. He could the X-factor for them. This would be the classic case of a team that sells the future for the now. Bogs is the now. Thybulle is a couple of years away.

P.S. Another thing to consider is that Thybulle is a redundant piece on Philly's roster. They already have Josh Richardson. Thybulle is a trade chip waiting to be traded.

Considering we are not keeping Bogi and he's most likely to bail for Dallas getting anything back for him atm is a good thing, Kuzma still has 2 years left making under 2mil. I admit I don't watch many Lakers but he's shown more in his two season than any of our young players (not named Fox), 18ppg on 45% is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus Barnes would play the 4 and Kuz would play the 3 imo and they would switch a lot, also getting Kuzma allows us to try move Barnes and we get what Barnes does at a fraction of the cost. I would rather him Kuzma over Barnes both are low impact players but Kuzma costs nothing.

He will be a restricted free agent, though.

What's so great about Bogdan? He's been injured for the most of the season. Sure, he's been on the court for most of the season, but ever since he got the hammy he's been "lame" Bogs.
I love Bogs, but being a national team guy for a top euro team he is NOT going to stop during the offseason when it is clear he needs some downtime. We have the Olympics this summer, so he'll probably be more spent entering next season. We bought low if we can sell high I'm all for it. If we swing and miss though it's gonna be rough. We'll also need to replace his ball handling with the second unit which might be tough, but if we can do it with a guy who is actually healthy it will probably serve us better than matching whatever other offers he gets.

BUT Bogdanovic gives philly a much needed playmaker between Simmons and Imbiid and a shot to win it all THIS year.
They already have a shot to win it this year without him. Thybulle is helping them now as well (something that I think you’re overlooking) and will be a useful piece that helps them win for the next few years. They’re also 4th in AST/100 Poss and 9th in AST/TO. They’re not horrible by any means.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Your wishing does not make it true.