Richaun Holmes Appreciation Thread

It's going to be very, very interesting how the team performs with both him and Bagley on the floor together.

Holmes hasn't been paired with a PF who isn't known as a floor spacer. Holmes has played 226 minutes this year. Below are the minutes shared by his other teammates:

Harrison Barnes = 171
De'Aaron Fox = 163
Buddy Hield = 157
Nemanja Bjelica = 23
Bogdan Bogdanovic = 102
Trevor Ariza = 97
Cory Joseph = 64
Wenyen Gabriel = 13
Yogi Ferrell = 9
Caleb Swanigan = 3
Justin James = 3

How will his and the team's performance change when you paid a non-perimeter threat in Holmes with another big that is still working on developing his perimeter game? I'm predicting his overall on/off will look worse after Bagley gets back.

But this begs the question...if Holmes & Bagley on the floor together is not a successful team pairing, what do we do?

I have a hard time seeing Bagley's style of play helping a team win a lot of games right now. As a big, if you're not either a good shooter or a good defender, it's going to be hard for them to make a big impact. Holmes is a good defender & Bjelica is a good shooter. Both are helping the team win right now. Bagley doesn't do either one particularly well yet, but we're likely going to give him a heavy role on offense.
Coach Walton has got to be honest with him. He needs to come off of the bench with Dedmon till he proves he can be on the floor at the same time as Holmes.

You have to start Bagley , depending on opponent bigs, you use Dedmon or Bjelly for 3 pt shots
You use Holmes paired with Bjelly or Giles

If Bagley and Holmes each get 28 min you only have to play them together for 8 min
bjelly gets 20 min and Dedmon and Giles split the other 20

Dedmon is not the guy for taking 3s.
I disagree. I think we just need to do a better job getting him clean looks with his feet set. If he’s at 37%+ on 3 attempts per game that’s probably enough to keep things spaced on offense. If after 30 games he’s still at 20%then I agree may need to move on from the experimen.

I mean, we don't have to worry about that for another year and a half sooo
It is something to worry about. The longer he plays this way, the more expensive he gets. If WCS played this way, he would have gotten a max contract. Will the Kings be able to afford him when its to pay him?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It is something to worry about. The longer he plays this way, the more expensive he gets. If WCS played this way, he would have gotten a max contract. Will the Kings be able to afford him when its to pay him?
A LOT of things can happen before it's time to worry about his contract. This is just getting silly. People are becoming way too wrapped up in the long-term financials IMHO. If he's good enough, the Kings will find a way to keep him.

Holmes is much better on defense than I thought. Luke had Holmes on LeBron and he was making Bron work. He was in there challenging every shot and fighting for rebounds.

Holmes has great energy and effort on both defense and offense.

He is basically everything we wanted WCS to be and more.

I'm starting to think that Luke may need to consider starting Bagley alongside Holmes to see how that works, when Bagley comes back. It will be hard to take Holmes out of the starting lineup.

Phx made a big mistake and we got him so cheap.

He's like a compilation of many tough former Kings in one package. A little Reggie Evans, a little Brockman, can finish with authority not a flier like WCS but in your face, a reliable close to the basket touch like a Kosta flip.
His finishing skills at the basket are a breath of fresh air. Used to get so irritated over all the gimmies that WCS would miss. It was like dude you're eleventeen feet tall, just dunk the ball.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
When we signed Richaun, I thought we’d be getting a ten to fifteen minutes high energy spark plug off the bench.

I didn’t realize we’d be getting a legitimate defensive anchor. His ability to wreak havoc with quick double teams and shaded help and then get back to affect shots in the paint has been an absolute game changer and he is automatically our best defensive big man since... Keon Clark or prime Brad Miller?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
When we signed Richaun, I thought we’d be getting a ten to fifteen minutes high energy spark plug off the bench.

I didn’t realize we’d be getting a legitimate defensive anchor. His ability to wreak havoc with quick double teams and shaded help and then get back to affect shots in the paint has been an absolute game changer and he is automatically our best defensive big man since... Keon Clark or prime Brad Miller?
makes you wonder why there wasn't a bigger market for him

The first few games Holmes struggled because he puts a lot of pressure on himself. He still plays hard, but now has slowed down some and does not press as much. All he has ever needed is more playing time and a coach that believes in him. The talent is there and now he has growing confidence. This guy is legit and needs to keep playing.

How good was Dalembert that one season? I think I've blocked that era out of my memory.

Him starting has made this team a good defensive team. The team defense falls apart when he’s off the floor. He’s going to get paid this off season.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How good was Dalembert that one season? I think I've blocked that era out of my memory.
He was fine, I guess. He offputtingly wanted to be considered an offensive weapon on a team that featured Boogie and RekeROY and gave up more points than he scored. He was a good rim protector but really not much else.

Richaun is a legit modern NBA defensive big. Fast enough to switch without being obliterated, still a deterrent around the paint, and more importantly always in the right place.

Holmes is much better on defense than I thought. Luke had Holmes on LeBron and he was making Bron work. He was in there challenging every shot and fighting for rebounds.

Holmes has great energy and effort on both defense and offense.

He is basically everything we wanted WCS to be and more.

I'm starting to think that Luke may need to consider starting Bagley alongside Holmes to see how that works, when Bagley comes back. It will be hard to take Holmes out of the starting lineup.
I fear we won't have enough spacing on the floor if we do that, barring some miraculous 3 point shot Bags has developed that I don't know about