Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I'm just happy that Porter is still in play as of 7/4/2017, 4:52 pm. The fact that this thing hasn't quickly went back to the Wizards with an agreement means it is still very much in play
I don't know how we could make a S&T work if they wanted to hardball us we now can't eat a bad contract, but I also think these two signings show him that if we added him we're serious about putting the pedal to the floor. I know the west is way tougher but we'll have some moveable assets and not be locked in long term to a b-level team like Washington will be if they keep him and Wall.

I'm just happy that Porter is still in play as of 7/4/2017, 4:52 pm. The fact that this thing hasn't quickly went back to the Wizards with an agreement means it is still very much in play
Agree, and under reported point.

If the Wiz were going to match... why would they have not done so already? He's not taking less money to stay on a second tier east coast team.

I was thinking Porter, Zbo and something like Lawson would be an AMAZING offseason.

If it's Porter Zbo and Hill... are you kidding me? On top of our draft? Unreal.

This is what I found:

If a first round pick signs with a non-NBA team, his scale amount is excluded from the team salary on the date he signs his non-NBA contract or the first day of the regular season, whichever is later. The scale amount goes back onto the team salary on the following July 1 or when his non-NBA contract ends, whichever is earlier. In other words, these cap holds are removed for players playing outside the NBA, but only during the regular season.

I think the hold for 27th pick is 1M dollars or slightly more. I calculated over 2M to spare above so I think we're good. ;)
Not to mention, isn't Bogdan still technically under contract until he pays his buyout clause?

I have a feeling we see a good bit of Temple and Bogdan at the 3.
Temple at 3 has always been the possibility. He has played a lot of SF for Washington before signing with us last year.

Malachi has also beefed up significantly since last season and Bogdan might steal some minutes at SF as well.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Temple is our SF next season with Malachi backing him up and Bogdan playing some spot minutes there. Later in the season Jorger even played McLemore at the 3 a reasonable amount of time.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Temple at 3 has always been the possibility. He has played a lot of SF for Washington before signing with us last year.

Malachi has also beefed up significantly since last season and Bogdan might steal some minutes at SF as well.

I would not be surprised in the slightest if Temple is our SF next season with Malachi backing him up and Bogdan playing some spot minutes there. Later in the season Jorger even played McLemore at the 3 a reasonable amount of time.
But those aren't ideal spots for those guys. We might accidentally lose some games... oh noes! :rolleyes:

Aren't the Kings said to be totally out of the Otto Porter race? Why are people talking like it's still a possibility?
AFIAK Aldridge was the only one saying we were "out", but I don't think he knew that we could wait to sign Bogdan until after Porter, so technically we still have the space to do this, and then sign Bogdan after.. Aldridge was just assuming we had already taken the 11mil or whatever we are giving to Bogdan out of available funds to sign FAs. If I am wrong, my bad.. That's at least how I understood it.

AFIAK Aldridge was the only one saying we were "out", but I don't think he knew that we could wait to sign Bogdan until after Porter, so technically we still have the space to do this, and then sign Bogdan after.. Aldridge was just assuming we had already taken the 11mil or whatever we are giving to Bogdan out of available funds to sign FAs. If I am wrong, my bad.. That's at least how I understood it.
Yup we're out of the running but Utah still in it with $7.3 mil in cap space. :rolleyes: