Markelle Fultz

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Too much to give up in my opinion. 5 and 10, sure. Adding WCS is a bridge too far.
The thing is if the Celtics are big on the win now thing (which they would be if they were trading the first overall pick), Willie probably wouldn't make much sense for them anyways. 5+10+Kosta/GT + us taking on one of their bigger contracts (which they don't really have aside from Horford, who they aren't trading) makes more sense than trading for a guy who, while potentially a game changer still hasn't flashed it all that consistently. Either way, I'm not sure our pieces and Boston's needs match up all that much but Ainge has done odder things as a GM.

Unless Danny Ainge was that impressed by Trill's dunk.

@ovrush and @Capt. Factorial is your disagreement more about what the Kings would give up or more about not valuing Fultz as highly?

To me, I give up Willie, 5, and 10 IF I think Fultz is a legitimate #1 player. If I value him that highly then I go for it. I haven't paid attention to him because I didn't see him play in college and I haven't paid attention to his draft stuff because I thought he was off the Kings radar.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF (and that's a big if) Boston is talking to the Kings about a trade I would think it's likely that it's a potential three way deal for a team like Chicago or Indiana to part with Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Either that or Ainge may think this Celtics team doesn't have what it takes to get over the hump and is starting a low key rebuild.

Either way I would absolutely deal 5 & 10 for Fultz. I'd probably reluctantly move Willie too. Fultz looks every bit the stud, "build your team around this guy" type player.

The other thought that I had was that maybe the Kings just invited Fultz to workout and he said yes. He's one of the few top prospects who showed up at the combine and he doesn't seem to have any issue with the idea that workouts could drop his stock. I think he's super talented and rightly confident.

Regardless of whether this happens, you have to like the optics of this. We get the top prospect in for a workout when even the Lakers at #2 can't (yet). Plus we obviously aren't giving 5 and 10 away to move up 1 or 2 spots with Phoenix or Philly when we have the #1 prospect in.

IF (and that's a big if) Boston is talking to the Kings about a trade I would think it's likely that it's a potential three way deal for a team like Chicago or Indiana to part with Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Either that or Ainge may think this Celtics team doesn't have what it takes to get over the hump and is starting a low key rebuild.

Either way I would absolutely deal 5 & 10 for Fultz. I'd probably reluctantly move Willie too. Fultz looks every bit the stud, "build your team around this guy" type player.

The other thought that I had was that maybe the Kings just invited Fultz to workout and he said yes. He's one of the few top prospects who showed up at the combine and he doesn't seem to have any issue with the idea that workouts could drop his stock. I think he's super talented and rightly confident.
I think it may be because Boston has Isaiah Thomas/Rozier/Jackson and wants front court pieces. If they can get a stretch 4 at 5, Collins at 10, and WCS, that might do it.

It's a lot to give up..

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
1 for 5, 10 AND WCS? Eff off Celtics. 5 and 10 for 1? Still not sure about that. I keep going back to we are not just 1 player away and we can potentially get 2 all-star types in this draft. And I agree that this could be a 3 way deal.
If the draft is a lotto though, you're trading in two tickets for one with most of the numbers already revealed to match the winning jackpot numbers.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
@ovrush and @Capt. Factorial is your disagreement more about what the Kings would give up or more about not valuing Fultz as highly?

To me, I give up Willie, 5, and 10 IF I think Fultz is a legitimate #1 player. If I value him that highly then I go for it. I haven't paid attention to him because I didn't see him play in college and I haven't paid attention to his draft stuff because I thought he was off the Kings radar.
Well, both, really. Maybe I give up 5+10 for #1, but I don't give up WCS as well. And if I do make that trade, I don't go after Fultz. I have a serious difficulty seeing Fultz as a franchise-changing talent when he wasn't even a UW-changing talent (2-17 against the Pac-12?!?) Also, I see him as kind of a James Harden type player on offense - a "lead" guard who gets assists because he has the ball in his hands all the time rather than because he's a great passer, and whose offense is largely of the Bull In A China Shop variety where he puts his head down and drives to see what happens.

I would probably do 5+10 for Ball at #1 or #2. If Ball drops to #3, then 5+10 might be too much, especially since there would then be a small chance he might just drop to #5 anyway.

He's being touted as a strong #1 prospect, in a strong draft, but not necessarily a franchise changer like Simmons last year. There is a gap between him and the next tier of players (which runs down to the 5th pick), but not one that is large enough to necessitate trading another lottery pick AND another young prospect. 2 lottery picks and a young prospect is the return you expect for a proven all star in the league, and Fultz isn't a guaranteed all star like some previous prospects have been. definitely consensus #1... but not franchise changing #1 type of talent from everything I've read.

He's being touted as a strong #1 prospect, in a strong draft, but not necessarily a franchise changer like Simmons last year. There is a gap between him and the next tier of players (which runs down to the 5th pick), but not one that is large enough to necessitate trading another lottery pick AND another young prospect. 2 lottery picks and a young prospect is the return you expect for a proven all star in the league, and Fultz isn't a guaranteed all star like some previous prospects have been. definitely consensus #1... but not franchise changing #1 type of talent from everything I've read.
He's no Duncan or LBJ. He's just a prospect as far as I'm concerned. 3 years from now there's a high probability that he's not the best player out of the crop.

Seriously done if you guys are out of your damn mind. You easily do 5, 10, and wcs which I think they'd go for if it's possible. Wcs is nice player but we could be trading for a franchise player here and Big Papa is a nice enough prospect to let go of WCS in a trade. Jones said a workout is possible to me that means Faultz and his team must know something to even entertain coming here and we interviewed him at the combine.