Zeljko Obradovic reveals his list without Predrag Stojakovic on it

Zeljko Obradovic reveals his list without Predrag Stojakovic on it

by Damir Jovanovic

The national coach of Serbia & Montenegro Zeljko Obradovic (Željko Obradović) has revealed today a list of 16 players that will try to win the title of an European Champion in the Basketball Championship that will take place in Belgrade this fall. Unfortunately or maybe luckily the Blues will be weakened by the absence of Predrag Stojakovic (Predrag Stojaković) who don’t want to play for his country as he’s too tired from the NBA season which for him ended over three months ago and therefore he needs to “rest” a bit more.

“We are the hosts and our task is to win the medal. My list is complete except for Predrag Stojakovic with whom I spoken a couple times but without success. I feel very bad that he wont be here to help us since we don’t have a player of his quality on that position, but hey it’s his choice and I cant do nothing about it,” said Obradovic.

The players on the list are all well known aces: Dejan Bodiroga, Vladimir Radmanovic, Marko Jaric, Zeljko Rebraca, Dejan Milojevic, Igor Rakocevic, Milan Gurovic, Predrag Drobnjak, Darko Milicic, Aleksandar Pavlovic, Dejan Tomasevic, Nenad Krstic, Vule Avdalovic, Bojan Popovic, Uros Tripkovic and Vlada Scepanovic.

All internationals are suppose to gather on August 1st after what they will start the pre-championship preparations at Serbian mountain of Kopaonik from where they will guest on several strong tournaments before the Euro Basket starts.

Obradovic is expected to cut his 16 list to 12 players after September 7th.

http://www.jadransport.org/articles/1233.html

First of all,I don't understand why Cabarkapa(Suns) didn't get chance to prove himself.Cabarkapa played this season more than Darko was in his entire carriere.I don't say that he shouldn't invite Darko,just he should give chance Zarko too...
Second,Tripkovic played just one proffessional season and he is in the national team.How could that be?
I don't know,I am pretty scared of our result,I hope that God will be with us.
I would pick this 12 players:
-Bodiroga
-Jaric
-Rakocevic
-Avdalovic
-Pavlovic
-Radmanovic
-Milicic
-Tomasevic
-Krstic
-Drobnjak
-Rebraca
-Milojevic

Btw. Dejan Bodiroga told me about Peja and Obradovic conflict in Sidney 2000. so I can understant Peja now better than before...

Last edited:
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. I mean, good for Peja for wanting to participate in youth camps, but he dodged the friggin' Olympics last year. And now he's dodging Eurobasket, when SCG is the host. I'm a Serb, so I still like him, but if I saw him right now I would give him the worst right cross anyone has ever seen. Thank God that Bodiroga is still there and Jaric, etc. But Peja's a big loss. Someone needs to help him along by giving him a kick in the *** that would land him in Eurobasket 2005. :)

You better make up for this BIG, Peja.

thesanityannex said:
that is a lot of "ics"
Yeah, it's a Serbian thing. ;)

T

thesanityannex

sN0rtON said:
I couldn't believe this when I heard it. I mean, good for Peja for wanting to participate in youth camps, but he dodged the friggin' Olympics last year. And now he's dodging Eurobasket, when SCG is the host. I'm a Serb, so I still like him, but if I saw him right now I would give him the worst right cross anyone has ever seen. Thank God that Bodiroga is still there and Jaric, etc. But Peja's a big loss. Someone needs to help him along by giving him a kick in the *** that would land him in Eurobasket 2005. :)

You better make up for this BIG, Peja.

Yeah, it's a Serbian thing. ;)
I really doubt you would give 6'10 peja a right cross. Doubt you could even reach his chin. ;)

Peja said:
First of all,I don't understand why Cabarkapa(Suns) didn't get chance to prove himself.Cabarkapa played this season more than Darko was in his entire carriere.I don't say that he shouldn't invite Darko,just he should give chance Zarko too...
Second,Tripkovic played just one proffessional season and he is in the national team.How could that be?
-Bodiroga
-Jaric
-Rakocevic
-Avdalovic
-Pavlovic
-Radmanovic
-Milicic
-Tomasevic
-Krstic
-Drobnjak
-Rebraca
-Milojevic

Btw. Dejan Bodiroga told me about Peja and Obradovic conflict in Sidney 2000. so I can understant Peja now better than before...
r u kidding me? have you ever heard of Milan Gurovic?, if it wasent for him there would be no 'ship in the 2002 worlds, what he did against USA should never be forgotten...

the team is looking pretty good compared to the one we had in the olympics last year

thesanityannex said:
I really doubt you would give 6'10 peja a right cross. Doubt you could even reach his chin. ;)
Well, you know.. figuratively speaking and all..:rolleyes:

But I gotta agree with Stoked on the other issue. Milan Gurovic is a must-have on this team. And yes, the team is looking great compared to last year.. It would be perfect if Peja just jumped on the train.

Stoked said:
r u kidding me? have you ever heard of Milan Gurovic?, if it wasent for him there would be no 'ship in the 2002 worlds, what he did against USA should never be forgotten...

the team is looking pretty good compared to the one we had in the olympics last year
I totally forgot about Milan.Offcourse he will be in Top 12.My mistake!
Well,if Scepanovic,Tripkovic,Popovic and Avdalovic wouldn't play,our team would be candidate for the medal,but with Peja and Vujanic we would be absolute favourites ;)
I agree that this team is better than last year,but it could be better always :D

Peja said:
-Bodiroga
-Jaric
-Rakocevic
-Avdalovic
-Pavlovic
-Radmanovic
-Milicic
-Tomasevic
-Krstic
-Drobnjak
-Rebraca
-Milojevic

What happened in Sydney between Pedja and Obradovic??????

As long as no one gets injured and no one pulls out from that list, we should give your cousin the send off he thoroughly deserves :)

Čarolija said:
What happened in Sydney between Pedja and Obradovic??????
I can't say I remember, but I do remember that "disagreement" between Radmanovic and Obradovic during the 2002 FIBA World Championships where we lost Radmanovic for a game or maybe two? That was pretty harsh.

I just thought I'd throw in that one of my friends, Uros Obradovic, says his uncle is Zeljko Obradovic.. I'm inclined to believe him due to his size, love for basketball, and going to Serbia every summer to play basketball. ;)

sN0rtON said:
I can't say I remember, but I do remember that "disagreement" between Radmanovic and Obradovic during the 2002 FIBA World Championships where we lost Radmanovic for a game or maybe two? That was pretty harsh.

I just thought I'd throw in that one of my friends, Uros Obradovic, says his uncle is Zeljko Obradovic.. I'm inclined to believe him due to his size, love for basketball, and going to Serbia every summer to play basketball. ;)

that was between Pesic and Radmanovic, radmanovic had to sit most of the championship run and pesic didnt even let him sit on the bench for the final two games, I think this was the reason pesic was let go and Obradovic was brought in

Stoked said:
that was between Pesic and Radmanovic, radmanovic had to sit most of the championship run and pesic didnt even let him sit on the bench for the final two games, I think this was the reason pesic was let go and Obradovic was brought in
Pesic was not let go, he elected not to come back. The reason Pesic and Radmanovic had problems is because Radmanovic decided to eat a banana during the middle of a team conversation in the locker room.

I also don't know why everybody's so big on Gurovic here. He's been great against the U.S. but otherwise he has been fairly average. He has the ability to explode and score points quick, but what player on our team doesn't ? I'd like to have him simply because he's been there when our national team had some success and because he'd add some veteran leadership, but other than that he's certainly not irreplacable on the team.

About Sidney...in that time here we had elections,big demonstrations...And players who were in Sidney also voted and they got fought because of that in the lockeroom during the half-time of SCG-Litvanija game.
After that Peja said that Obradovic wasn't able to hold control in the lockeroom and they got fought in bus during the travel to the Hotel.After that,Peja said that he won't ever played whille Obradovic is coach...
That's the story...

Ahh. Thanks for clearing me up on it being Radmanovic and Pesic, rather than Obradovic. ;)

Peja said:
About Sidney...in that time here we had elections,big demonstrations...And players who were in Sidney also voted and they got fought because of that in the lockeroom during the half-time of SCG-Litvanija game.
After that Peja said that Obradovic wasn't able to hold control in the lockeroom and they got fought in bus during the travel to the Hotel.After that,Peja said that he won't ever played whille Obradovic is coach...
That's the story...
That's stupid. The players shouldn't be fighting about the damn elections while they're in a tournament.

Peja said:
That's the story...
Ko je popio batine?????? :p

For those that don't understand, I asked who copped the beating :D

well, Drobnjak said no as well. He preferred to work by his own, because he wants to be completely ready to do his best with his new team. I respect, but I dont understand those nos, I guessed that to join the national team meant a chance to meet old friends, and patriotism, and so on, but maybe I was wrong

I'd have an extremely easy way of getting these guys to play for the national team.
You play, or you go the army and can't leave the country. A little on the fashist side, but that's the way you gotta be with some of these primadonnas.

sloter said:
I'd have an extremely easy way of getting these guys to play for the national team.
You play, or you go the army and can't leave the country. A little on the fashist side, but that's the way you gotta be with some of these primadonnas.
Well, don't forget this is the year 2005 ;)
But it would do the trick...

Anyway, the players who were invited to training camp gathered today in Belgrade. Jaric and Radmanovic were missing, because they are in the States working on their contracts. Rebraca is to travel too for the same reason. Boy, I'm sure glad he is back in the team after 5 years!!!

The main goal is the gold medal obviously and none of the players are hiding from it. Peja will be missed, but those who don't make it we have to do without (koga nema bez njega se mora).

Bodiroga and Tomasevic say that this will be their last Championship and hopefully they will bow out with a bang. They sure deserve it.

After winning the Waterpolo World Championships it's time to celebrate again in September. I can't wait...