Youngman praises veterans and their value to Kings

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pete Youngman‏@_petethetrainer 1h1 hour ago

Make no mistake @SacramentoKings fans, the veteran leadership provided by @GTemp14, @mrvincecarter15, @kostakoufos, @George_Hill3 and @MacBo50 is and will pay dividends for years to come!

-------------------------------------------------
I put this in a new thread for a couple of reasons.
1. I didn't know where else to put it.
2. I don't recall EVER seeing Pete Youngman speak about the team in this way before.
Exactly teaching these youngsters to be pros go's beyond PT and X's and O's. It's a total lifestyle how to prepare for a game and take care of yourself ECT ECT.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I mean if it means teaching them how to be professionals that's dandy and all, but let's see if the talent comes to the surface.

Without getting into the issue of whether or not we should have pursued them, I have a whole new respect for Randolph.. On/off the floor, can’t help but love what he’s doing. I appreciate Vince as a pro though think it’s time for him to assume more of a coaching role and just allow those minutes to JJ/Malachi

I can only assume Youngman has a deeper understanding of Hill’s mentorship than the tweets and the articles about him possibly wanting out..

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I think that's exactly what it means. Pete Youngman is there every single day and has been since Adelman was coach. I think he's in a position to be a good judge of what's going on.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm simply pointing out that if they learn how to be professionals but the talent doesn't translate, what good does it do the franchise? It's great for them individually no doubt, taking care of themselves in the present & future, money management, etc.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I'm simply pointing out that if they learn how to be professionals but the talent doesn't translate, what good does it do the franchise? It's great for them individually no doubt, taking care of themselves in the present & future, money management, etc.
If they don’t progress in a useful manner then you let them go. The vets are progressing rather well.

If the talent doesn't translate and they are out of the league then they wouldn't be pro's would they.

Pete Youngman or Pete Carril. Same Difference. Old school Kings coaches. I want to move forward, not live in the past. To be honest their opinion means nothing. I would listen to Phil Jackson's advice before these guys. We're still existing in the past, hiring Vlade as a GM. Hired strictly on his association with the Kings as a player. No front office experience to run an NBA team necessary. Vlade should just go ahead and hire Pete as a consultant based on his comments. Ridiculous.

Pete Youngman or Pete Carril. Same Difference. Old school Kings coaches. I want to move forward, not live in the past. To be honest their opinion means nothing. I would listen to Phil Jackson's advice before these guys. We're still existing in the past, hiring Vlade as a GM. Hired strictly on his association with the Kings as a player. No front office experience to run an NBA team necessary. Vlade should just go ahead and hire Pete as a consultant based on his comments. Ridiculous.
If decades of NBA coaching experience = meaningless input then I'm not sure what your input would qualify as

Yes, I would listen to Phil Jackson's advice before Youngman's as well. What'd he say?

Oh yeah, nothing, so I am going to listen to Youngman's opinion over yours since he knows the players and volunteered the information.

And just to note, the only things Pete Youngman and Pete Carril have in common are their first names and they are employed by the Kings. One is a team doctor [whoops, I mean director of sports medicine] and the other was a coach. They aren't the same difference, especially if you need your gall bladder removed [or better yet, your groin strain diagnosed].

Last edited:
Yes, I would listen to Phil Jackson's advice before Youngman's as well. What'd he say?

Oh yeah, nothing, so I am going to listen to Youngman's opinion over yours since he knows the players and volunteered the information.

And just to note, the only things Pete Youngman and Pete Carril have in common are their first names and they are employed by the Kings. One is a team doctor and the other was a coach. They aren't the same difference, especially if you need your gall bladder removed.
Given that Pete Youngman's qualifications are in PT and rehab and his experience as an athletic trainer I'm not sure I'd trust either with removing my gall bladder.

Given that Pete Youngman's qualifications are in PT and rehab and his experience as an athletic trainer I'm not sure I'd trust either with removing my gall bladder.
Smart move. I guess Youngman would be better at diagnosing a groin strain.

Last edited:
I think that an important aspect that we don't see with the vets is their presence during practice and teaching the kids during practices.

Coaches can only do so much, but when you have a vet out there on the floor, showing the kids what to do, where to be and when to cut during drills and practice, these skills ultimately translates to game time. Instead of having 5 young guys running around like a chicken with their heads cut off, theses kids will be getting quality directions and knowledge from the vets.

Wow. Bitter much? Pete Youngman is a trainer, not a coach. He's seen the glory days and he's seen the rough days. He's a genuine person. I'm met him a few times. I think he's seeing how good the chemistry is with this group and just expressing his opinion.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Pete Youngman isn't a coach. You might want to do your homework before jumping in and making comments without basis in fact. If you knew who Pete Youngman was, you'd understand that he deals with the players in a much different way than the coaches, and gets to know them a lot better because of it.

Without getting into the issue of whether or not we should have pursued them, I have a whole new respect for Randolph.. On/off the floor, can’t help but love what he’s doing. I appreciate Vince as a pro though think it’s time for him to assume more of a coaching role and just allow those minutes to JJ/Malachi

I can only assume Youngman has a deeper understanding of Hill’s mentorship than the tweets and the articles about him possibly wanting out..
I agree with what you said about Randolph. He is a real player. Amazing at times.

Ridiculous is discarding the value of someone entirely because they have a history with the franchise.

This thread has devolved into people arguing, over the strength of their earlier arguments, about whether a trainer’s innocuous statement confirms the franchise’s long term plan is prudent.

Z-bo is such a beast. It's kinda aggrevating given my lin leanings, but I gotta give respect to the geezer. Dude is balling.
Z would have been the perfect mentor for boogie. Good addition but cant help but wonder if we actually rode this out another season. Anyway water under the bridge.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I have the over on ZBO punching DMC before opening night lol.
It's funny that you say that, and I wasn't going to bring this up at all, because I mostly stay out of #KingsRap these days, except to perform mod duties, but I had the biggest disconnect when I heard Z-Bo spit that noise, the last time that Sacramento played New Orleans. Talmbout, "Where I come from, bullies get bullied." I was sitting there listening to that, like, "Wait a minute: am I on Earth-2? Did I get transferred to the alternate universe where Zach Randolph isn't a bully? Ain't you the dude who (allegedly) instigated a fight with a teammate in practice, and broke his jaw? Ain't you the dude who (allegedly) had somebody stomped out over fifty dollars worth of weed? Like, bruh, you the biggest bully on the block! What are you talking about?"

Like, seriously, they didn't just start calling this guy Z-Bo out of the aether... They call him Z-Bo, because it's a play on Deebo... because he is (or, at least was) a ****ing bully! The audacity of him calling somebody else a bully is like that Twitter meme of Spider-man pointing at Spider-man. He's like the gangster who "goes legit" after he gets his, and then looks down his nose at other criminals.