Yao

Realgm reports kings and charolette have talked to houston for Yao?

Kings: Yao, Courtney Lee, Jared Jefferies and cash
Houston: Dalembert, Landry

Landry does not fit here like he did when there was Hawes, Thompson, and Brockman, he should be moved to somewhere where they actually know he has worth. Dalembert is playing good, but it seems right now the cellar dwelling kings want a more stable income that Yao's fanbase could provide.

Yao
Cousins (PF)
Greene/Casspi
Evans
Kyrie Irvin

as long as we are bringing back a young talent like Lee, Hill, or Patterson ( who might help out Cousins ) then fine. I'll give them back Landry too. We just better not be giving up anything valuable.

We'd be stupid to go after someone as chronically injured as Yao. I put him in the same group and B. Roy and Greg Oden.
The point isn't to get Yao, he is an injured player on an expiring contract. The point is we take on his large expiring with our capspace and send back Landry and/or Dalembert in order to get something of value. That would probably include one of Lee/Brooks/Budinger/Ariza, plus maybe a pick thrown in since they got a few. I don't see them giving up Lowry though, I think they believe he is too important to give up.

The point isn't to get Yao, he is an injured player on an expiring contract. The point is we take on his large expiring with our capspace and send back Landry and/or Dalembert in order to get something of value. That would probably include one of Lee/Brooks/Budinger/Ariza, plus maybe a pick thrown in since they got a few. I don't see them giving up Lowry though, I think they believe he is too important to give up.
Houston can give us NOH player? In that case, dibs on CP3.

http://goo.gl/gN7MA

This is the article that was posted on Twitter.

I forgot that Yao's contract is now paid mostly by insurance so having him isn't really a bind, he certainly wouldn't play.

but Houston apparently mentioned cousins in the discussion.

http://goo.gl/gN7MA

This is the article that was posted on Twitter.

I forgot that Yao's contract is now paid mostly by insurance so having him isn't really a bind, he certainly wouldn't play.

but Houston apparently mentioned cousins in the discussion.
I wonder if Petrie managed to hang up the phone before he fell on the floor from laughing so hard, or if Morey actually heard him drop...

I wonder if Petrie managed to hang up the phone before he fell on the floor from laughing so hard, or if Morey actually heard him drop...
I wonder what Westphal would saying though...

I can't imagine he'd be verbally putting the brakes on a Cousins trade.

I would be hugely dismayed if Cousins was traded.

I'm all in if

Yao for Dalembert + Landry

Reason: I like JT's long term future more than Landry so I rather give up Landry. Landry will be looking from more than the salary he is getting this year. Most likely in the $6 range which we won't be happy giving. I rather keep someone with size and rebounds like JT.

It basically comes down to Yao for Dalembert. Both have huge expiring contracts. If Yao can heal, he is still an instant top 2 center in the league (depending where you rank Dwight). I suspect that Houston is trying to resign Yao after trading him just like the Cavs did with Big Z. If thats the case then no thanks. If Yao is really here to stay and will sign a $5-$6 million contract, even playing only 24 good mins a game would be a huge bargain. Yao draws double teams immediately. He can provide offense instantly. We don't have much to lose.

I'm all in if

Yao for Dalembert + Landry

Reason: I like JT's long term future more than Landry so I rather give up Landry. Landry will be looking from more than the salary he is getting this year. Most likely in the $6 range which we won't be happy giving. I rather keep someone with size and rebounds like JT.

It basically comes down to Yao for Dalembert. Both have huge expiring contracts. If Yao can heal, he is still an instant top 2 center in the league (depending where you rank Dwight). I suspect that Houston is trying to resign Yao after trading him just like the Cavs did with Big Z. If thats the case then no thanks. If Yao is really here to stay and will sign a $5-$6 million contract, even playing only 24 good mins a game would be a huge bargain. Yao draws double teams immediately. He can provide offense instantly. We don't have much to lose.
I seriously doubt Yao will actually suit up again for any NBA team. He even said when this season began that if he suffers another injury he will probably retire.

Man Yao broke a bone right next to the one that just got done healing. This dude is DONE in the NBA. Wasn't he publicly considering retirement after this last injury?

Dude is not worth it. He will NEVER heal and even be 1/2 the player he was. No thanks.

I think that bringing in Yao is more of a business move than a basketball move tbqh

Yes, unfortunately I agree that this will be the more likely scenario. The Maloofs wants to cut cost as much as they can. With the season almost out of hands, If they bring in Yao for Dalembert, they actually save $3-$4 million with Yao and his insurance. But if Yao doesn't play next year and we give up Sammy, we won't have a legit center to go along with Cousins.

I seriously doubt Yao will actually suit up again for any NBA team. He even said when this season began that if he suffers another injury he will probably retire.
I think it comes down to luck and do you have the right doctors. Everyone thought Grant Hill would never play again after the 7 or so surgeries. But after getting to Phoenix, he has been injury free. Shaq always had problems too and when he got to Phoenix, he went injury free for the season. They've kept Nash free from any major injuries even at an old age and the constant wear and tear at that position and style. Its been said that Phoenix has the best medical staff in the league, not by homer broadcasters, but by actual players.

We need to get a medical staff like that, regardless if we get Yao or not.

TBH, I think all this talk in the media is pure speculation. Making a deal for Yao would be mainly about capspace, since I doubt anyone thinks he will play NBA ball again, and capspace isn't really high on our wishlist right now. We don't really have bad contracts we need to shed, and I don't see us giving up our youth fo a deal like this. I am sure other teams that are much more desperate for cap relief will make more attractive offers to Houston than we will.

I think it comes down to luck and do you have the right doctors. Everyone thought Grant Hill would never play again after the 7 or so surgeries. But after getting to Phoenix, he has been injury free. Shaq always had problems too and when he got to Phoenix, he went injury free for the season. They've kept Nash free from any major injuries even at an old age and the constant wear and tear at that position and style. Its been said that Phoenix has the best medical staff in the league, not by homer broadcasters, but by actual players.

We need to get a medical staff like that, regardless if we get Yao or not.
All true, but it's no something you can bank on. If you make a deal for Yao, you can't really expect him to actually play. It's a pure businees move. If he is somehow able to recover and play, that's a bonus, but not something you can consider when making the deal.

L

Lafayette

I'm all for YAO coming to Sac. If his contract expires and he still can't play, well there really is no loss. Throw in a player like Brooks and ship Udrih to the Bobcats and Landry to... well you know, let me get this right: http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2ezc4fm

This trade is only if the Bobcats are involved but honestly the Kings should just trade with the Rockets and get a draft pick or Brooks out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dalembert and Landry for Yao will really help the Rockets make a run this year. I think that trade makes a lot of sense for both teams as long as we can get another asset or two added to the deal.

Dalembert and Landry for Yao will really help the Rockets make a run this year. I think that trade makes a lot of sense for both teams as long as we can get another asset or two added to the deal.
I would hope the Kings could extract an asset, but I highly doubt the Rockets would give up much if anything for two players that will probably walk after the season.

I think the Rockets have the trade in mind you've thrown out but with nothing or little else except cap relief. That's what they are hoping "makes a lot of sense for both teams." Ie - you've got cashflow issues and we can use your players.

Yao's injury is covered by insurance. Thus, the Kings wouldn't have to pay his salary, and they no longer have to play Dalembert or Landry's contracts ... so its a huge salary dump for the Kings. I think that's why Houston is calling.

While fans aren't going to get fired up for that, I could see the owners wanting to do it. They can play the cards: (1) we weren't going to resign them; (2) more mintues for Cousins (after they get past this dust up); and (3) it's a money thing, but we are going to spend that money soon.

If anything, we might be able to get the Rockets to take Cisco's so-so contract (or something else) to rent Dalembert and Landry for 1/2 a season. I doubt they will toss in anything like Brooks or Lowery for the rental, much more likley to take back one nonexpiring contract we don't want.

Due to all of the exceptions they have, the salary doesn't have to be close - so you can throw out a lot of ideas on this one.

Looks like a non starter because the rockets will only deal with Cousins involved.
I think they are checking to see if we'll cut bait with Cousins - at which point Brooks, picks, and Hill and other young players are on the table. But I think they would also assume Landry and Dalembert's contracts if it didn't cost them much more. Fits their needs and long term goals better than adding the long term salary that come along with the Bobcats star wing players.

Ask for the big deal, and see if you get a counter you also have in mind.

Last edited:
I don't like how every team that calls about a trade tries to steal Cousins... I mean its an obvious thing to do if your on the other side with our franchise being in shambles and everything... but it worries me that we are going to make another terrible move and send Cousins away.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I'm starting to think about Ralph Sampson.....this isn't good.
Yao's contract is expiring at the end of the year. So this is nothing like Ralph Sampson, who we were stuck with. This about saving around 2 mil this year. If we were to deal Dalembert straight across for Yao at the middle of the season he would still be owed around 8.3 mil and change, of which half would be covered by insurance. Dally would still be owed around 6.1 mil. Thats a difference of 2 mil that the Kings would save this season. If you want to throw in CDR for Landry the Kings would save another 600 or so thousand on the deal.

Hey, it might give them the wiggle room they need to fire Westphal.

Last edited: