Wouldn't it be nice if Skal shows great improvement?

If Skal comes in next season having significantly raised his level of play. I was just wondering how he could fit in if he were to improve. I think if he raises his ability to read and react to defending the perimeter especially that could make a huge difference in how Skal is deployed.

Kinda' a forgotten man. Hope he feels the pressure of having two rookie horses and lifts his game. All he is missing is a little fire and hopefully internal competition may be the trick to unleash him.
With the Kings draft Bagley, it pretty much means they don't see Skal as their long-term PF.

Skal needs more than fire imo. He needs to get stronger. He need to improve his IQ.

I think we just need to adjust our expectations of him. If you view his numbers through the lens of him being a starter and potential offensive star, he disappoints. If you view him through the lens of being a good 3rd big, he starts to look significantly better.

That's his true calling I think, as a good 3rd offensive big who can space the floor at the 4 or the 5 and some rim protection potential. I like his fit with both Bagley and Giles too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think we just need to adjust our expectations of him. If you view his numbers through the lens of him being a starter and potential offensive star, he disappoints. If you view him through the lens of being a good 3rd big, he starts to look significantly better.

That's his true calling I think, as a good 3rd offensive big who can space the floor at the 4 or the 5 and some rim protection potential. I like his fit with both Bagley and Giles too.
I suspect the front office does, too. ;)

The Kings roster has been full of jurneyman players for the last ten years, trying to work their way into a starting role.
They still are.
Fox, Bogdan, Bagley and Giles are going to be legit. Maybe Jackson. The rest of them are really a question mark.
Watching the Kings play often reminds me of our local AAA baseball team. Plenty of talent, but nearly every player has some weaknesses that keep them from getting to the Bigs.

Where we picked Skal he was going to be a project anyway and he has shown about what I expected good and bad.

Will he be a star well most likely not, will he be a productive or more realistically a role player I think so.

Where we picked Skal he was going to be a project anyway and he has shown about what I expected good and bad.

Will he be a star well most likely not, will he be a productive or more realistically a role player I think so.
Just so hard to tell with Skal because he is so immature as a basketball player and in his physical development. Skal is one I am inclined to wait 4-5 years and see what he becomes. I also really hope Beli becomes a mentor for him because Beli is what Skal could be.

Yeah nursed a shoulder all year apparently. Still have high hopes for him. Good length, killer fade away KG style, just needs more lateral quikness and confidence

Would be dumb of the Kings to give up on Skal at this point. Bjelica isn't going to be around when the Kings make a theoretical playoff run so it's going to hurt if Skal winds up being a solid player somewhere else so we could get a couple of average years out of a 30 year old stretch 4.

Yeah nursed a shoulder all year apparently. Still have high hopes for him. Good length, killer fade away KG style, just needs more lateral quikness and confidence
Even his lateral quickness would improve if he would just get in a proper defensive stance. His weight is too far forward.

Skal might be the rawest player to come into the NBA.

Would be dumb of the Kings to give up on Skal at this point. Bjelica isn't going to be around when the Kings make a theoretical playoff run so it's going to hurt if Skal winds up being a solid player somewhere else so we could get a couple of average years out of a 30 year old stretch 4.
I don’t think they are. Part of Beli’s role is to mentor Skal I would guess.

Skal is somehow in the Joerger doghouse. He doesn't seem to get a longer run when he plays well and gets pulled quick. When he's on the floor, the team does better for some reason.

I wanted to see the game simplified for him, but they put him in those high post decision-making spots which don't seem to be his strength.

Passing does not seem to be his strength and it will slow us down, not matter how much potential he has. He was handled very delicately the last 2 seasons and won't be this time around. I want him to take the next step but I just don't see it working out.

Skal is somehow in the Joerger doghouse. He doesn't seem to get a longer run when he plays well and gets pulled quick. When he's on the floor, the team does better for some reason.

I wanted to see the game simplified for him, but they put him in those high post decision-making spots which don't seem to be his strength.
You understand that Skal had 1 year of coaching in HS, 1 year at Kentucky then the NBA?