Would you want to play for the Kings?

While Keith Smart is a great communicator, I'm pondering the effects that his playing style will have on the team's ability to attract quality FAs. Last offseason, many of us speculated that Kirilenko could possibly want to play with our young, upcoming team alongside 2 potential stars and stuff.

If I were a FA that the Kings were trying to sign this offseason however, I'd look at the team and say pfft, the coach doesn't know what he's doing. He's playing guys in all sorts of weird roles, he has no consistent rotations whatsoever, he isn't developing the young guys well and there are a bunch of players that are rather selfish. There's ZERO emphasis on defense, and for all I know I could be playing 43 minutes one game and 28 the next. Tyreke Evans doesn't look like he'll want to stay, and will most probably leave next season. Don't think I'll sign here.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours? Do you think the Kings still look like a promising team for a veteran FA to bring over the hump?

While Keith Smart is a great communicator, I'm pondering the effects that his playing style will have on the team's ability to attract quality FAs. Last offseason, many of us speculated that Kirilenko could possibly want to play with our young, upcoming team alongside 2 potential stars and stuff.

If I were a FA that the Kings were trying to sign this offseason however, I'd look at the team and say pfft, the coach doesn't know what he's doing. He's playing guys in all sorts of weird roles, he has no consistent rotations whatsoever, he isn't developing the young guys well and there are a bunch of players that are rather selfish. There's ZERO emphasis on defense, and for all I know I could be playing 43 minutes one game and 28 the next. Tyreke Evans doesn't look like he'll want to stay, and will most probably leave next season. Don't think I'll sign here.

Those are my thoughts. What are yours? Do you think the Kings still look like a promising team for a veteran FA to bring over the hump?
Ridiculous. Let's pre-blame Smart for not bringing in a quality FA when the best FA signing we've had the last decade was Chuck Hayes. FA isn't an option for us people! Get over it!

Not developing the players? ok...

In terms of problems, family of dummies neglecting their franchise due to financial distress is a bigger issue than coach Smart.

But to answer your question, no. I'd sign with a team that had a chance to win and I'd enjoy playing with.

Depends on where I was in my career and what type of player I was. I know that there is a feeling that no free agents will come to Sacramento but I think that is more a function of the ownership and management than it is the city or the fan base.

The Jazz and Kings are very similar in fan base and type of city, both small cities with rabid fan bases and while the Jazz haven't landed the big time free agents they have managed to sigh good young players like Carlos Boozer, Mehmet Okur, Raja Bell, Josh Howard, Matt Harpring, Earl Watson. Some of those are players that made big contributions on playoff teams.

yeah I would. I'm not very tall haha I can probably get a good amount of playing time.
kidding aside though, this is probably the least attractive destination for free agents. this team is a mess.

I would but that's because I'm from here. I'd hope I was at least enough of an impact player that I could turn us around.

Which is also why I can't believe Lebron did what he did to Cleveland.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Nope. It's increasingly clear we're not focused on winning, or really even improving, nor are we concerned with investing in the future of the team. It's not about location for me, it's about the culture, the FO and owners committed to putting a winning product on the floor. We're 0-3.

That may sound harsh, but it;s truth, and if you're a player with such a small window to make money, why would you waste valuable years in the situation you'd find yourself here? Athletes have smaller windows than most to make their money and enjoy their career.

Last edited: