Would you trade Skal for Chriss? (split)

Would you trade Skal for Chriss?

• Total voters
Tough one as I think both guys are in a pretty similar mold; Uber talented/amazing physical attributes, but both still got a long way to go to learn how to play the game and actually use their skills. Think Chriss has the much better defensive upside (more fluid, he'll be able to switch better) and Skal has the better offensive upside. So I guess depends what your squad needs?

I do agree about the attitude thing though. Skal by all accounts is a very hard worker/good locker-room guy that trys to fit in

Tough one as I think both guys are in a pretty similar mold; Uber talented/amazing physical attributes, but both still got a long way to go to learn how to play the game and actually use their skills. Think Chriss has the much better defensive upside (more fluid, he'll be able to switch better) and Skal has the better offensive upside. So I guess depends what your squad needs?

I do agree about the attitude thing though. Skal by all accounts is a very hard worker/good locker-room guy that trys to fit in
I agree. I just don't see a major benefit in a swap for either team, but I do think Chriss is better than him at the moment. A major problem for Skal will always be on the defensive end where he currently can't guard anyone. Chriss is a lot more mobile, and he can block shots. However, I don't see any benefits for either team in a swap right now.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Chriss is the better player right now and has more fire in him, he's feisty. That said, the Kings are banking on Skal reaching his potential and they can afford to do so because they are in desperate need of talent.

I personally wouldn't swap because I still believe Skal can develop into a good player if given more minutes. I'm not convinced he'll ever be a dominant defensive player but he's certainly got enough about him to be a good all round player.

A further issue if we did do a deal is whether Chriss would face the same issues as Skal or whether he'd get a more featured role. If it's the former I can see why some would do it, however if it's the latter then there isn't much point.

Their scoring and rebounding averages are pretty similar through 1 & 1/2 seasons (Chriss has played in 50 more games). But Skal is easily the more efficient shooter.

I've never been much of a Chriss fan. I just don't see what the hype is all about. I'm so much more glad that the Kings ended up with Bogie out of that deal.

Funny, but Chriss has a lot of Boogie Cousins childish temper traits which so many here complained about -- which then strikes me as odd that some of those same fans would lobby for him.

Lastly, I think Skal's all around game has more potential even though I agree with the point that he's far too passive of a player.

Their scoring and rebounding averages are pretty similar through 1 & 1/2 seasons (Chriss has played in 50 more games). But Skal is easily the more efficient shooter.

I've never been much of a Chriss fan. I just don't see what the hype is all about. I'm so much more glad that the Kings ended up with Bogie out of that deal.

Funny, but Chriss has a lot of Boogie Cousins childish temper traits which so many here complained about -- which then strikes me as odd that some of those same fans would lobby for him.

Lastly, I think Skal's all around game has more potential even though I agree with the point that he's far too passive of a player.
There is uncomparable difference in talent level. Talent wins in this league. Always has! Always will!

I agree. I just don't see a major benefit in a swap for either team, but I do think Chriss is better than him at the moment. A major problem for Skal will always be on the defensive end where he currently can't guard anyone. Chriss is a lot more mobile, and he can block shots. However, I don't see any benefits for either team in a swap right now.
Well, assuming that we don't stupidly trade Skal, this trade at least is looking like a solid win for Vlade. If we think Chriss and Skal are pretty close in terms of their talent/ development right now AND we got Bogdan on top of it, it's a quality trade for us. Just frustrating we wasted a lottery pick on Papa

I don't think it is accurate to compare per 36 with these guys. Chriss plays against starters every night. Skal plays carefully handpicked minutes generally against scrubs. Apples and oranges.

Well, assuming that we don't stupidly trade Skal, this trade at least is looking like a solid win for Vlade. If we think Chriss and Skal are pretty close in terms of their talent/ development right now AND we got Bogdan on top of it, it's a quality trade for us. Just frustrating we wasted a lottery pick on Papa
Luckily that was a weak draft and the guys picked around Papa aren't really all that great either.

Denzel Valentine at 14 and Caris LeVert at 20 are the only guys that even look decent in the vicinity of where we picked Papa at 13.

Last edited:
I don't think it is accurate to compare per 36 with these guys. Chriss plays against starters every night. Skal plays carefully handpicked minutes generally against scrubs. Apples and oranges.
Sure but it doesn’t make Chriss any better than he really is. i.e. average!

Last edited:
Yeah, it's probably still too early to say, but I think the Kings won it. It's probably the best move Vlade has made as a GM. However, to be completely fair to Phoenix, the Bogdan situation was a little frustrating for them and I can see why they decided to include him as part of the trade. There was probably a decent chance that he would never come over to the NBA.

Luckily that was a weak draft and the guys picked around Papa aren't really all that great either.

Denzel Valentine at 14 and Caris LeVert at 20 are the only guys that even look decent in the vicinity of where we picked Papa at 13.
Yeah no kidding. Everyone is still only in their 2nd years, but when you see the guys who got drafted immediately after Papa, it doesn't make me feel as bad about the pick. That pick is still a complete headscratcher, but at least we didn't take Thon Maker...

Yeah, it's probably still too early to say, but I think the Kings won it. It's probably the best move Vlade has made as a GM. However, to be completely fair to Phoenix, the Bogdan situation was a little frustrating for them and I can see why they decided to include him as part of the trade. There was probably a decent chance that he would never come over to the NBA.

Yeah no kidding. Everyone is still only in their 2nd years, but when you see the guys who got drafted immediately after Papa, it doesn't make me feel as bad about the pick. That pick is still a complete headscratcher, but at least we didn't take Thon Maker...
I can speak with authority a bit on this, Bogdan was ALWAYS coming to the NBA. The question was never if but when?

There is no doubt that having Vlade has made his transition easier.

I would. He seems like a better player - more nasty. Doesn’t mean I hate Skal but I’d do this in a heartbeat.
Are you factoring in the personality? I don't like his demeanor or temperament. There's some Boogie-like self-entitlement there that does NOT bode well for him.

And even if you overlook the abrasive personality he is still putting up terrible numbers in a fast-paced system designed to enable him to put up numbers.

If we are going to trade Skal this off-season the pending free agents we should be targeting are Rodney Hood and Julius Randle.

You want more nasty (like I do) ? Randle is your guy.

I can speak with authority a bit on this, Bogdan was ALWAYS coming to the NBA. The question was never if but when?
There is no doubt that having Vlade has made his transition easier.
Can you renegotiate contracts in Europe? Not familiar with their system, but I do know he had 1+1 left with NBA options. I think had he stayed this year, who knows when he would come over again? Would he come over to the Suns? Different teams, but the Rockets have tried over and over and over again to bring over Sergio Llull who just used them as a negotiating stick. Not saying Bogdan would do the same, but there's no surprise that they traded Bogdan 1 day after saying he would stay in Euorpe. It made sense financially, but they were probably just done with the entire situation.

So give credit to Vlade for reading the tea leaves and saying "a long shot project big here is as good as anything"

Can you renegotiate contracts in Europe? Not familiar with their system, but I do know he had 1+1 left with NBA options. I think had he stayed this year, who knows when he would come over again? Would he come over to the Suns? Different teams, but the Rockets have tried over and over and over again to bring over Sergio Llull who just used them as a negotiating stick. Not saying Bogdan would do the same, but there's no surprise that they traded Bogdan 1 day after saying he would stay in Euorpe. It made sense financially, but they were probably just done with the entire situation.
Yes you can re-negotiate contracts in Europe. The year before Bogdan went to visit Phoenix. They were keen to get him over for season 2016-2017. He just came off a disappointing final 4 in Euroleague with Fener falling short of winning the title. One thing he wanted to do was win Euroleague title before he leaves for the NBA. He has won everything else there is to win. Suns didn’t like his decision and cried foul.

Like I have said in the past, I have known Bogdan since he was a kid. Followed his career from his early teenage years. One thin that kid always wanted to do was play in the NBA. He left a mark at Partizan before he left for Fener. He won everything he could except Euroleague with Partizan.

When he was leaving Partizan, he had much bigger offers from other European teams but he chose Feber because he believed that was his best path forward in terms of development for hus NBA career and a chance to win Euroleague. He chose his teams and coaches carefully to reach his goal. At Partizan he had a legendary coach in Vujošević who is known for developing young players into very good players and getting the absolute maximum out of his team. At Fener he had a legendary Serbian coach who has won a Euroleague title with every team he coached in his career and who is also known for developing young player. Both coaches originate from Partizan.

He was never going to be one of those players who saw the money in the NBA abd left as soon as they got drafted without being ready. His career has always been about playing in the NBA for a few years. He idolized Kobe Bryant and loved watching the Spurs play because they play basketball the way it should be played (i.e. there is a lot of European type of basketball with the Spurs)

In short Phoenix, jumped at the shadow and got mad because he wanted to wait an extra year. Vlade saw an opportunity and jumped at it. He had some inside knowledge there and he played those cards right. Bogdan was ALWAYS going to play in the NBA its what he strived for since he was a kid.