Woj: Marvin Probably Moving

Well, if we were to trade Bags I’d be looking for other players from his class that have high upside but, like Bags, may benefit from a change of scenery. There are a lot of offensively challenged teams that Bagley could probably become an immediate top scorer for...Like Orlando who I could see being intrigued by Bags.

Bagley and 9 for Mo Bamba and 5...maybe? I heard they were pretty close to giving up on Bamba as well. I know he put up some numbers late in the season. I say number 5 because Bamba may very well end up being a bust while Bagley is atleast pretty sure to have a productive career putting the ball in the basket.

Or maybe something more straight up with Bagley and Wendell Carter Jr? I think Carter would be a pretty good fit with the Kings and still has some pretty high upside as a high level front court defender and a good role player on offense.

certainly not looking to sell low on the kid though. I’d rather see if some contract year level play can boost his trade value or inspire the Kings(and fans) to retain him

Last edited:
Starting team when everyone was healthy last year was Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bags, and Holmes. Probably 50-50 or better that Holmes, Bags, and Buddy are ALL gone this offseason. And a meaningful possibility that HB is as well.

Fox could be the only stater still standing a year later.

My goodness.
Worse NBA defense in history. Missed POs for the 15th straight year. 2 legit starters, two back ups, and a revolving door at the 4 spot. Ship them all out except Hali and Fox (unless Simmons is returning).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Starting team when everyone was healthy last year was Fox, Buddy, Barnes, Bags, and Holmes. Probably 50-50 or better that Holmes, Bags, and Buddy are ALL gone this offseason. And a meaningful possibility that HB is as well.

My goodness.
I mean, we were the worst defense in NBA history so it's not like we're dismantling the 2016 Warriors or something.

I mean, we were the worst defense in NBA history so it's not like we're dismantling the 2016 Warriors or something.
No anticipatory grief here (though I'll miss HB and Holmes if they leave). Jus' saying: hard to think of another team w/that kind of turnover at the top. Well, the Pistons. 2019-20 team had Drummond, Griffin, Brown, Reggie Jackson, DRose, Christian Wood was in the mix... none of those guys ended last season with the team.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I liked the idea of hanging on to Barnes and re-signing Holmes to a reasonable deal. Both are solid vets and I think HB plays better at the 4 so if Marvin were moved on it would only leave one starting position to fill.

Bagley clearly wants out and given his injury history and failure to improve significantly there's not a ton of argument for keeping him when the Kings would have to either lose him for nothing or try to re-sign him at the end of next season.

Buddy unfortunately regressed last season. He continues to be one of the best 3pt shooters in the NBA but he was a worse all around offensive threat, didn't attack the basket or draw fouls at all, and is still a very poor defender. Most of all, he's already shown that he's disgruntled as a 6th man (which appears to be his best NBA fit honestly) and Haliburton needs to be the starting SG.

All that said, I'm in favor of dealing Barnes if it improves the team and I'm not in favor of dealing Bagley and Buddy just to do it.

It really comes down to what the individual deal is and whether it improves the team. Does MBIII for a couple of mid 2nd round picks this year and next improve the team? Not likely, for a variety of reasons, including that the extra cap room isn't as valuable as being at the cap and gaining the MLE etc.

I get the idea of "we need to at least get something for him" but if Bagley's value in the league is really that low then one last year with him trying to play well to earn his next contract (likely from another team) is probably more beneficial in the short and long term than what those 2nd rounders might turn into. If there are good deals to make then make them, but don't jettison guys just to do it.

So, short story long, I don't really care if McNair blows this team apart completely or brings back everybody as long as it's the move that improves the Kings now and in the future. And we can only judge that by each individual trade, draft pick, or signing. We'll see what happens.

My goodness.
Not all of them - I'd give it ~ 25% chance. 2/3 maybe ~ 50%.. 1/3 ~ 75% .... would like to see them re-sign Holmes at a fair contract - he earned it. I like Hield, but for the right trade, no hard feelings. Bagley just can't shake the walking-wounded notoriety.

From Hoopshype

Grizzlies discussed Jonas Valanciunas trade with Kings

Before eventually agreeing to a trade with the New Orleans Pelicans ahead of the draft, the Memphis Grizzlies were in serious talks with the Sacramento Kings on a similar deal, according to Brian Windhorst on The Hoop Collective Podcast. 18 hours ago – via RealGM
The Grizzlies would have sent Jonas Valanciunas to the Kings for the No. 9 pick in the draft and Marvin Begley Jr. Memphis instead traded up with the Pelicans at No. 10 while also taking back Steven Adams and Eric Bledsoe. 18 hours ago – via RealGM