Without anchor tenant, no AEG

Glenn

Hall of Famer
New reports on twitter:

Ben Sosenko@BenSosenkoCBS13
AEG will not be involved in arena deal without an anchor tenant. #CBSSacramento #kings

Ben Sosenko@BenSosenkoCBS13
There will be no commitment to building a new arena without an anchor tenant. #CBSSacramento #kings
Not terribly unexpected. It also puts more pressure on the whole project which is OK with me. This game of chicken that the Maloofs are playing with the city, NBA, and anybody that comes near them has to end. I don't even know what I meant. :)

yea somewhat dissapointing but honestly I dont want an arena if the Kings arent in it anyways
Well a guy told me that the Maloofs will be in Seattle this week talking with the mayor about an arena there. So if that goes through, you would lose the Kings. But you have to look at the positives though...

If you get Burkle or ANOTHER PERSON to build an arena, Stern and KJ will get another team to sac-town. Probably Charlotte.

There are a couple of teams available: Charlotte, Milwaukee (wont leave) Indiana, Orlando and Memphis.

Trust me, there are people behind the scenes just waiting to see what the Maloofs do. Sacramento won't be without a team for long.

Just give them an offer they can't refuse...

Well it is going to get really interesting coming up. I keep updated on this and I am telling you, Maloofs dont want to sell and they dont want to work with City of Sacramento. So they are looking to re-locate to Seattle. But the problem with that is that the City of Seattle doesn't want public funding for the arena, so that is why they are going up there to find out the real deal. But with Chris Hansen bought land for the arena and working with Steve Ballmer, it will be hard for them to make it happen unless they merged with Hansen's group ( yeah right...no way!!!!)

So unless Seattle says yes being pressured by the mayor, then looks like back to Sacramento or selling of the team.

Well a guy told me that the Maloofs will be in Seattle this week talking with the mayor about an arena there. So if that goes through, you would lose the Kings. But you have to look at the positives though...

If you get Burkle or ANOTHER PERSON to build an arena, Stern and KJ will get another team to sac-town. Probably Charlotte.

There are a couple of teams available: Charlotte, Milwaukee (wont leave) Indiana, Orlando and Memphis.

Trust me, there are people behind the scenes just waiting to see what the Maloofs do. Sacramento won't be without a team for long.
A guy told me the opposite

I hate the Maloofs. I do want an arena, even if there's no Kings, but this will make it really difficult. There are so many other events that would come to a new arena. I'm old enought to remember going to the Bay Area if you wanted to see anything. I won't do that any more and it's way more expensive than be able to wee the same events in Sacramento.

Burkle did say that if the Kings leave Sacramento, he would bring another team to Sacramento. He knows Sacramento well, and unlike the stupid Maloofs, he thinks Sacramento is a good market.

BTW, Seattle isn't much closer to a new arena than we are.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well it is going to get really interesting coming up. I keep updated on this and I am telling you, Maloofs dont want to sell and they dont want to work with City of Sacramento. So they are looking to re-locate to Seattle. But the problem with that is that the City of Seattle doesn't want public funding for the arena, so that is why they are going up there to find out the real deal. But with Chris Hansen bought land for the arena and working with Steve Ballmer, it will be hard for them to make it happen unless they merged with Hansen's group ( yeah right...no way!!!!)

So unless Seattle says yes being pressured by the mayor, then looks like back to Sacramento or selling of the team.

I mean you no disrespect whatsover, but who are you and why should we take any stock in any "insider" rumors you claim to have knowledge of? This ain't our first rodeo.

I mean you no disrespect whatsover, but who are you and why should we take any stock in any "insider" rumors you claim to have knowledge of? This ain't our first rodeo.
I know you mean no disrespect. I come humbly to give you some information a man I know with ties to the Seattle situation told me. He is pretty reliable so I wanted to let you know what he said. Not, what I am saying, what he said.

Myself, I feel for the Kings fans because you guys don't deserve to lose your team. I know Seattle needs a team too but you don't deserve to lose your team. You are wonderful fans and I hated watching our team come to play in that loud arena. I have never been to Sacramento but I still feel for you people there.

I know when I get my billions of dollars, I would build the arena there and relocate a team there. (That is if Sacramento Kings are in Seattle.) I hate losing so we would have to be quite aggressive. But you would like me as owner.

Just keep the information in the back of your mind.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I hate the Maloofs. I do want an arena, even if there's no Kings, but this will make it really difficult. There are so many other events that would come to a new arena. I'm old enought to remember going to the Bay Area if you wanted to see anything. I won't do that any more and it's way more expensive than be able to wee the same events in Sacramento.

Burkle did say that if the Kings leave Sacramento, he would bring another team to Sacramento. He knows Sacramento well, and unlike the stupid Maloofs, he thinks Sacramento is a good market.

BTW, Seattle isn't much closer to a new arena than we are.
Plus, I'm not sure the NBA would be fast to approve a Maloof move to anywhere but out of the NBA.

You could just sum it up and say that the Maloofs are stuck in Arco until they sell the team. Stern is not going to let these owners relocate anywhere. He wants them out of the NBA - not just out of town. They don't suddenly become good people because they changed addresses.

Well a large number of us attend events other than Kings games. So personally, I would rather not drive to the bay area and put my money in their pockets.
well I mean technically I would like a place here to go to events too but honestly I probably go to one or 2 concerts a year. I dont mind driving an hour and half 2 times a year really

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Isn't poisoning the market and killing the deal to the point AEG backs out, along with investigating your sponsors with an ex FBI agent all enough to show these guys are hurting the league as a whole? The Maloofs are a freakin liability to the rest of the league and I really hope Stern is turning his attention to this now that the season/draft is over.

Also, I'd guess that it's highly unlikely Stern or anyone on the relocation committee wants the Maloofs poisoning another market such as Seattle. Just don't see it.

A bird told me that you are full of crap.

I know you mean no disrespect. I come humbly to give you some information a man I know with ties to the Seattle situation told me. He is pretty reliable so I wanted to let you know what he said. Not, what I am saying, what he said.

Myself, I feel for the Kings fans because you guys don't deserve to lose your team. I know Seattle needs a team too but you don't deserve to lose your team. You are wonderful fans and I hated watching our team come to play in that loud arena. I have never been to Sacramento but I still feel for you people there.

I know when I get my billions of dollars, I would build the arena there and relocate a team there. (That is if Sacramento Kings are in Seattle.) I hate losing so we would have to be quite aggressive. But you would like me as owner.

Just keep the information in the back of your mind.
And when I get my billions I'll build you a bridge to live under.

Once upon a time I felt sorry for what happened to Seattle. But then I realized that their own elected officials told the NBA to hit the road. That and they have the NFL and MLB. So really they deserve zero sympathy. Now the ugly side of their fan base is trolling here now and exhibiting some behavior even Clay Bennett would find beneath him.

Face it Sonics fans, you will have to wait for NBA expansion. It could be a long wait.

Once upon a time I felt sorry for what happened to Seattle. But then I realized that their own elected officials told the NBA to hit the road. That and they have the NFL and MLB. So really they deserve zero sympathy. Now the ugly side of their fan base is trolling here now and exhibiting some behavior even Clay Bennett would find beneath him.

Face it Sonics fans, you will have to wait for NBA expansion. It could be a long wait.
I never understood why David Stern was considered the ultimate villain in the whole Sonics saga. Even Sonicsgate pointed the finger at outgoing owner Howard Schultz as well as the politicians up there.

I don't understand why anybody is begin mean to butteredbiscuit. What he is saying is not far-fetched or antagonistic. It's as good as any rumor.

But can somebody link me to where Ron Burkle said he will bring a team to Sacramento if the Kings leave? That's quite a quote from a guy with deep pockets.

If he really said that - then I will join the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" crowd where the Maloofs are concerned. I will have no problem at all getting my heart and soul behind a new team in Sac whether it is a relocation or expansion.

When did Ron Burkle say that though? Did he ever really say something that direct and specific?

I don't understand why anybody is begin mean to butteredbiscuit. What he is saying is not far-fetched or antagonistic. It's as good as any rumor.

But can somebody link me to where Ron Burkle said he will bring a team to Sacramento if the Kings leave? That's quite a quote from a guy with deep pockets.

If he really said that - then I will join the "don't let the door hit you on the way out" crowd where the Maloofs are concerned. I will have no problem at all getting my heart and soul behind a new team in Sac whether it is a relocation or expansion.

When did Ron Burkle say that though? Did he ever really say something that direct and specific?
any rumor where someone says "some guy told me" cant be taken seriously. there are facts about burkle. there are no facts about "some guy"

Closest I could find is this quote from April 2011:

Burkle's group wants to keep a franchise in Sacramento, Johnson said. "This is not meant to be a hostile takeover," Darius Anderson, a member of Burkle's group, said at the news conference. "We wanted to give an alternative group if the Maloofs opt to bring on additional partners, if they want to go ahead and sell and, if we lose the Kings, that the NBA has an alternative ownership group to bring an additional franchise at a later date."

Closest I could find is this quote from April 2011:THAT the NBA has an alternate ownership group to bring an additional franchise at a later date
I'm sure that Anderson meant IF instead of THAT at the end of what he was saying. Saying THAT the NBA has an additional franchise to bring at a later date implies that the league already knows that someone will relocate and I'm pretty sure, based on what's been thrown around, that nobody knows anything yet since Memphis and Charlotte have huge relocation penalties and Milwaukee is still looking at building a new arena.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

And yet, interestingly enough, the poster in question comes from LA...

Yes, Burkle and his representative did say that.

Yes Burkle did say he'd buy a team for Sacramento.

Pieces from a Bee article

Capital still has a shot - Billionaire says he'll buy a team for Sacramento - Maloofs vow not to sell - NBA owners will meet again today -- Kings' fate up in the air

Sacramento Bee, The (CA) - Friday, April 15, 2011 Author: Tony Bizjak, Ryan Lillis and Dale Kasler ;

Southern California supermarket tycoon Ronald Burkle, in partnership with well-connected Sacramento lobbyist and developer Darius Anderson, emerged as last-minute potential saviors of the NBA in Sacramento. The duo said they would lead a group that could purchase the Kings -- or buy another team for the city should the Kings move to Anaheim.

A co-owner of hockey's Pittsburgh Penguins, the multibillionaire Burkle already has been rebuffed by the Maloofs on buying the team, Anderson said.

If the Maloofs don't sell and the Kings move to Anaheim, Burkle has a backup plan. Anderson said Burkle is exploring three or four other NBA franchises as possible candidates for purchase and relocation to Sacramento.
We took the Kings from Kansas City and I really hate to think of taking another team away from some other fan base. As a matter of fact, if the Maloofs want to move, I wouldn't feel as bad, if they moved the team to Kansas City and they have a beautiful relatively new arena. That would almost seem like appropriate karma.

Last edited: