Willie Cauley-Stein

I told you so. Willie is a $100 mil player. Larry Bird said that and I agree with that assessment. Give him a year or two to get used to the NBA and he will be a fabulous player.

He needs to spend some time in the weight room and get a new coach. It wonderful to see him break out on the offensive side of the ball. He is one of the most athletic big men around. He has a lot of skills that cannot be taught. He needs someone to work with him on footwork in the low post and he needs to shoot 1,000 baskets a day from inside 15 feet. I really like the guy and can't figure out Karl's problem with him. It is antiquated thinking that rookies can't get minutes.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Cauley-Stein keeps progressing like this, a Cousins/Cauley-Stein/Anderson big man rotation would be pretty nasty.
Yes.

Kosta's role will get reduced, but it's still nice to have a big bodied, defensive backup against certain matchups - especially when Cousins is out.

Dealing away Marco for a future 2nd and taking a bit less back in salary when trading Rudy could even let the team keep Rondo (if desired) while still signing Anderson.

With the Kings being hamstrung with future picks I wouldn't mind seeing Rudy dealt for a role player plus a pick. Maybe Ariza and the #14 pick if the Rockets finish out of the playoffs? It's a weak draft this year but there are few guys I still really like.

Yes.

Kosta's role will get reduced, but it's still nice to have a big bodied, defensive backup against certain matchups - especially when Cousins is out.

Dealing away Marco for a future 2nd and taking a bit less back in salary when trading Rudy could even let the team keep Rondo (if desired) while still signing Anderson.

With the Kings being hamstrung with future picks I wouldn't mind seeing Rudy dealt for a role player plus a pick. Maybe Ariza and the #14 pick if the Rockets finish out of the playoffs? It's a weak draft this year but there are few guys I still really like.
Kings Get: Ariza, Beverley, & Olynyk
Kings Give: Gay, Casspi, McLemore, & Koufos

Rockets Get: McLemore, Koufos, Rozier, & 2016 Mav's Pick
Rockets Give: Ariza & Beverley

Celtics Get: Gay & Casspi
Celtics Give: Olynyk, Rozier, & 2016 Mav's Pick

Then trade Belinelli for a protected 2nd, draft Hield, sign Anderson, sign Bazemore/Crabbe/Lee, and hire a good coach.

PG - Collison/Beverley/Curry
SG - Bazemore/Hield/Anderson
SF - Ariza/Butler
PF - Cauley-Stein/Anderson/Acy
C - Cousins/Olynyk

Defense & shooting everywhere with Collison, Hield, & Anderson acting as the secondary scorers to Cousins.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yes.

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all really.

But people have to get over the dumping Rondo thing, For roleplayers to work you need guys to pass to them. Give Rondo weapons like Anderson and Ariza from 3 and..ouch.

A

Cuz/WCS/Anderson frontcourt rotations, with Kosta/Acy as backups
Ariza/Casspi SFs
?/Curry
Rondo/Collison

with a new coach (critically), and with possibly our pick at #10, and in your scenario a Houston #14

could be all that minimally would be needed. I have said repeatedly this year that fans have missed the point here. The basic structure never was as bad as the results. Its possible this same basic structure can result in wins, and stability, just by getting the right coach and one or two entirely doable acquisitions to get the balance/chemistry right and de-emphasize underperforming assets. The sky was never truly falling this year unless the fans pulled it down on themselves. Just have to shed some dead weight and pick up some spacers.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wouldn't be a bad idea at all really.

But people have to get over the dumping Rondo thing, For roleplayers to work you need guys to pass to them. Give Rondo weapons like Anderson and Ariza from 3 and..ouch.

A

Cuz/WCS/Anderson frontcourt rotations, with Kosta/Acy as backups
Ariza/Casspi SFs
?/Curry
Rondo/Collison

with a new coach (critically), and with possibly our pick at #10, and in your scenario a Houston #14

could be all that minimally would be needed. I have said repeatedly this year that fans have missed the point here. The basic structure never was as bad as the results. Its possible this same basic structure can result in wins, and stability, just by getting the right coach and one or two entirely doable acquisitions to get the balance/chemistry right and de-emphasize underperforming assets. The sky was never truly falling this year unless the fans pulled it down on themselves. Just have to shed some dead weight and pick up some spacers.
My concern with Rondo as a player is always going to be defense.
My concern with Rondo as a free agent is that I get the feeling he has no intention of resigning with Sacramento.

But if Rondo were willing to come back for a reasonable deal (well, reasonable under the new, huge salary cap) and the front office felt that either he could/would defend better in a different system or that his defense wouldn't hurt the team too dramatically then I'm okay with the idea of his return.

The SG spot would still be weak. Either McLemore would return (I'd trade him since I don't see any chance the team signs him to a new deal next offseason) or you'd have a rookie, Curry (who really should be a 3rd string PG and not a 2nd string SG) and whoever can be had for the minimum. Maybe Ariza plays some minutes at the 2, I don't know.

But with Cousins, WCS and Ryan Anderson are exactly the type of front court mates you want. 3&D guys on the wings and a PG to run the show. That and good coaching is the best shot to craft a winning team around Boogie.

Kings Get: Ariza, Beverley, & Olynyk
Kings Give: Gay, Casspi, McLemore, & Koufos

Rockets Get: McLemore, Koufos, Rozier, & 2016 Mav's Pick
Rockets Give: Ariza & Beverley

Celtics Get: Gay & Casspi
Celtics Give: Olynyk, Rozier, & 2016 Mav's Pick

Then trade Belinelli for a protected 2nd, draft Hield, sign Anderson, sign Bazemore/Crabbe/Lee, and hire a good coach.

PG - Collison/Beverley/Curry
SG - Bazemore/Hield/Anderson
SF - Ariza/Butler
PF - Cauley-Stein/Anderson/Acy
C - Cousins/Olynyk

Defense & shooting everywhere with Collison, Hield, & Anderson acting as the secondary scorers to Cousins.
You went way too thin in the SF position...
Butler is too old to be 2nd (and last) option.
Ariza's numbers this year (per 36) are inferior to Casspi's (on both sides of the court!!).
I really can't see the reason in trading Omri. He's the best value for dollar contract on the roster, as well as the best synergy maker / glue guy and DMC buddy. Besides - he's one of the few NBA players who actually wish to be Kings (for life, so it seems).

You went way too thin in the SF position...
Butler is too old to be 2nd (and last) option.
Ariza's numbers this year (per 36) are inferior to Casspi's (on both sides of the court!!).
I really can't see the reason in trading Omri. He's the best value for dollar contract on the roster, as well as the best synergy maker / glue guy and DMC buddy. Besides - he's one of the few NBA players who actually wish to be Kings (for life, so it seems).
Disagree. Ariza is the better defender and a solid 3pt shooter. You need defenders & shooters around a guy like Cousins and Ariza fits that mold. Casspi is a great bench option to have & good option, but if I can make the team better by moving him, I will.

Also, you're not factoring in any other signings to round out the roster/depth nor are you factoring in that Bazemore would be getting the backup SF minutes in this scenario (considering he has played SF all season for the Hawks).

PG - Collison (28 min) / Bevereley (20 min)
SG - Bazemore (18 min) / Hield (24 min) / Beverley (6 min)
SF - Ariza (34 min) / Bazemore (14 min)
PF - Cauley-Stein (18 min) / Anderson (30 min)
C - Cousins (36 min) / Cauley-Stein (12 min)

Cousins - 36 min
Ariza - 34 min
Bazemore - 32 min
Cauley-Stein - 30 min
Anderson - 30 min
Collison - 28 min
Beverley - 26 min
Hield - 24 min

Looks pretty solid to me...

Disagree. Ariza is the better defender and a solid 3pt shooter. You need defenders & shooters around a guy like Cousins and Ariza fits that mold. Casspi is a great bench option to have & good option, but if I can make the team better by moving him, I will.

Also, you're not factoring in any other signings to round out the roster/depth nor are you factoring in that Bazemore would be getting the backup SF minutes in this scenario (considering he has played SF all season for the Hawks).

PG - Collison (28 min) / Bevereley (20 min)
SG - Bazemore (18 min) / Hield (24 min) / Beverley (6 min)
SF - Ariza (34 min) / Bazemore (14 min)
PF - Cauley-Stein (18 min) / Anderson (30 min)
C - Cousins (36 min) / Cauley-Stein (12 min)

Cousins - 36 min
Ariza - 34 min
Bazemore - 32 min
Cauley-Stein - 30 min
Anderson - 30 min
Collison - 28 min
Beverley - 26 min
Hield - 24 min

Looks pretty solid to me...
Would Houston trade there starting pg for Gay. Beverly fits perfectly next to Harden with his defense and not needing shots. Harden/Gay would be terrible together 2 ball dominate non defenders on the perimeter while trading a great defending pg

I think the Buddy Hield dropping to pick 7 ship has sailed. :) Damn
Maybe/Maybe not

The only teams I could see taking him ahead of us are Boston and NO. 76ers take Simmons/Ingram/Dunn over him. Lakers have DLo/Clarkson. Suns have Booker. Wolves have Rubio/Lavine and I see them looking to replace Rubio before Lavine so they may take Murray there. Even New Orleans might go for Dragan Bender if Anderson leaves and they don't want to give up on Holiday/Evans yet.

Obviously this is all speculation and is wishful thinking on my part.

Maybe/Maybe not

The only teams I could see taking him ahead of us are Boston and NO. 76ers take Simmons/Ingram/Dunn over him. Lakers have DLo/Clarkson. Suns have Booker. Wolves have Rubio/Lavine and I see them looking to replace Rubio before Lavine so they may take Murray there. Even New Orleans might go for Dragan Bender if Anderson leaves and they don't want to give up on Holiday/Evans yet.

Obviously this is all speculation and is wishful thinking on my part.
The only team I could see taking Hield is NO.

Even with them, I could see them going Murray instead since he's younger.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
The only team I could see taking Hield is NO.

Even with them, I could see them going Murray instead since he's younger.
I think that's wishful thinking unfortunately. The way to solve the problem is to finish worse that the Pels. Unfortunately they have shut down the 'Brow for the rest of the season.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
this is supposed to be a Cauley Stein thread and all I see is trade proposals on how to make the team better. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, we won't fully see what Trill can do until he gets a new coach that will start him for a whole season and actually have the coach and personnel continue to work on his game and craft it. In the mean time, I want to see him continue to be aggressive on offense, it will be a good barometer of if he can consistently be a scoring threat

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is supposed to be a Cauley Stein thread and all I see is trade proposals on how to make the team better. Anyway, back to the topic at hand, we won't fully see what Trill can do until he gets a new coach that will start him for a whole season and actually have the coach and personnel continue to work on his game and craft it. In the mean time, I want to see him continue to be aggressive on offense, it will be a good barometer of if he can consistently be a scoring threat
Yeah, but all of the trade proposals at least involve keeping Willie next to DeMarcus. I think we all agree he was a good pick and a solid piece of the foundation going forward.

I hope he drops 30 tonight.