Will Barnes be here next year?

Does anyone think Barnes will be here next year? We would have a wicked lineup next year if we are looking to keep him..

C-WCS (or Giles)
PF-Bagley III
SF-Barnes
SG-hield
PG-Fox

That starting roster would kick butt. Then we would have WCS (or Giles), Bogs, Bjelica off the bench! Amazing lineups there. Another year of chemistry and they are playoff bound! Nest year we should be a 50 win team at the very minimum.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Does anyone think Barnes will be here next year? We would have a wicked lineup next year if we are looking to keep him..

C-WCS (or Giles)
PF-Bagley III
SF-Barnes
SG-hield
PG-Fox

That starting roster would kick butt. Then we would have WCS (or Giles), Bogs, Bjelica off the bench! Amazing lineups there. Another year of chemistry and they are playoff bound! Nest year we should be a 50 win team at the very minimum.

Does anyone think he won't be here???

Does anyone think he won't be here???
Right. Odds are very high that he doesn’t opt out of his contract. He’s not likely to get equal or better $$ somewhere else. The fact that the KINGS are starting to win and he seems to like and get along with this young core probably ensures he’s back next season.

Beyond that probably boils down to how the team performs next season and how reasonable he and his agent are in negotiating an extension.

C-WCS (or Giles)
PF-Bagley III
SF-Barnes
SG-hield
PG-Fox

Barnes will but I don’t think WCS will.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
And to just add to the chorus, yes, the best bet would be that Barnes opts in. It's possible that the Kings even negotiate an extension with him (Vlade made some nods towards this being a possibility if I recall correctly), though that would likely be for a good amount less annually than the ~$25M that Barnes is due next year.

Why the heck do people not think Barnes is a legit starting 3?!

It blows my mind more than any other take on this entire board.
Yea I don't not get it either. He's been a good SF...efficient on offense and solid on D. We already have alpha scorers in Hield, Fox and Bagley to an extent now. Bogi too maybe if he can find his game again. Barnes is fine as the 3rd or 4th scorer.

Yea I don't not get it either. He's been a good SF...efficient on offense and solid on D. We already have alpha scorers in Hield, Fox and Bagley to an extent now. Bogi too maybe if he can find his game again. Barnes is fine as the 3rd or 4th scorer.
The Kings haven't had a talented true 3 and D wing since Artest. Barnes needs to stay at whatever cost. I still can't see him opting out of that deal but if he were a real nice guy maybe he will and take around 5 less per year on a 4 year deal. I wouldn't if I were him though. The Kings are primed to extend him so he's better off sitting on that deal.

The Kings haven't had a talented true 3 and D wing since Artest. Barnes needs to stay at whatever cost. I still can't see him opting out of that deal but if he were a real nice guy maybe he will and take around 5 less per year on a 4 year deal. I wouldn't if I were him though. The Kings are primed to extend him so he's better off sitting on that deal.

I think Barnes will probably play out his 25mpy option. That's a lot of money to leave on the table. However, he's played good for us here, so I can see the FO offering him a 4 yr $70m deal. His career on the Mavs was going on the downtrend. They traded him for Justin Jackson... If he continued that level of play, he'd be lucky to get more than 4 yr $40million or so. For that reason, maybe he'd opt out and sign a bigger deal?

The sample size here has been very small which does worry me, but I think he's done a decent job bouncing back.

Would you guys rather sign him for more years or play out his option? I would rather see him play out his option so we can see if this Barnes is legit. 20 game sample size is tiny.

Why the heck do people not think Barnes is a legit starting 3?!

It blows my mind more than any other take on this entire board.
SLAB is right. How can people not see it? The guy plays defense. He is long at 6'8" and can stop a lot of people. He moves without the ball, he can shoot and is unselfish. He is a great interview. He classes up the joint. He is the kind of player we want.

I see people joke about Salmons a lot here. I wasn't a Kings fan back then so I don't have much to say about him. With that said, I just looked at his stats and his FG% during his second stint was horrendous.
He was good but more of a point F, not a 3 and D type. Although Artest could run point too. Salmons killed more assists than I've ever seen at the 3 point line by turning down wide open shots so he could slash into the paint.

No reason to believe he won't be here and I don't see any reason after the offseason he won't be fully integrated into the team and playing to his full potential. The team was built around platooning less capable players at that spot and I'm not sure plugging him in and getting everything running on all cylinders was ever going to be easy mid-season.

IMO he should be making about half what he’s scheduled too next year, so I doubt he turns it down.

At this point I see him as a role player who doesn’t significantly move the wedge of winning/losing, so I’d be hesitant of paying him more than 12-13 a year (I mean, it could be argued the team was better with Shump)

Barnes doesn't play up to $25mil/yr imo. If he doesn't opt out and sign a deal that the Kings offered....he might not get a better offer in the future due to aging in my opinion. If he is willing to restructure the contract....it helps the Kings increase cap space and spending on a big free agent. If Kings want to utilize Bagley as the Center, they should sign someone like Middleton. If not, then go after Vucevic.

IMO he should be making about half what he’s scheduled too next year, so I doubt he turns it down.

At this point I see him as a role player who doesn’t significantly move the wedge of winning/losing, so I’d be hesitant of paying him more than 12-13 a year (I mean, it could be argued the team was better with Shump)
The culture and leadership maybe, but who is to say we won’t get that from Barnes...you are so hung up on his contract it’s detracting from your enjoyment of him as a player...did you see him tonight? He never gave up, we don’t win that game without his intensity and attacking mentality.

I do not see to many players walk away from that kind of money and don’t mind paying a player like Barnes.
He will not get another contract like his last one but he will get a pretty decent contract either next year or in free agency a year later.
I really don’t see him passing up on that money but it will be interesting to see if he’s willing to sign a new contract with us or do we wait and see what the market value he is worth?

What I do think with the 4 players that don’t have contracts with us next year will be interesting.
Burks and KK I believe will be released as I really see that money going in a different direction.
I think Brewer will get a qualifying offer of some type.

Now that leaves WCS and what he deserves or what his value is in free agency?
Do we pay him and use up any real cap space that may allow us to go after someone else.
I am like a lot of folks who see his value with the way he fits with the way we play but also wish he did not disappear in as many games as he does.

Yes, Barnes will be here next year. He takes $25.1M next year or he restructures and signs for another 3 to 4 years. My suspicion, he restructures and signs for three years for $60M. Barnes gets about $18M per year while stretching $5M (this year) over three years. Kings over pay a bit, Barnes gets a just right contract, which would allow him to hit the market again at 29--in the middle of his prime and therefore giving him another shot at another pay day.

As for the Kings, they lock him in for three years. Allow them to see how far this group can take it and giving them time to choose from Hield, Barnes, Bogs--only one of them will stay on past 3 years and leaves money for the Bags, Giles, Fox generation when its their time to get paid at 23/24.