Will all this make resigning Bibby at the end of the year unlikely?

He shouldn't be pissed. He's on his way out and this is what happens to big , expiring contracts. He won't be resigned though, even if he still is with the team.

Bibby - A Los Angeles Laker

You heard it here first. Mike Bibby will opt out of his contract and sign with the Lakers. Reasons:

1. The Lakers need a point guard

2. The Lakers need a legitimate second option especially a perimeter player.

3. The Lakers can spend the money and are not scared of going over the salary cap.

4. Lakers runs an offense "The Triangle" that fits into Bibby's strength as a spot up jump shooter such as Robert Horry, John Paxson, and Steve Kerr.

5. Kobe Bryant and Bibby are very cordial (both their daddies were teammates)

6. The Lakers are much closer to a playoff/championship contender than the Kings are.

7. Los Angeles is closer to Bibby's Phoenix home.

You heard it here first. Mike Bibby will opt out of his contract and sign with the Lakers. Reasons:

3. The Lakers can spend the money and are not scared of going over the salary cap.

4. Lakers runs an offense "The Triangle" that fits into Bibby's strength as a spot up jump shooter such as Robert Horry, John Paxson, and Steve Kerr.

6. The Lakers are much closer to a playoff/championship contender than the Kings are.

Either Bibby's taking a massive paycut and signing for the MLE or the Kings are getting Lamar Odom in a S&T because those are the only two scenarios where that's possible.

He shouldn't be pissed. He's on his way out and this is what happens to big , expiring contracts. He won't be resigned though, even if he still is with the team.
He still have 2 years on his contract, he doesn't have an expiring deal at the end of this season, but rather a player option that he will most likely use if he is still here at that time. I do see where he would want to try to land a 5-7 year deal now at 28, rather than wait till his current contract expires in 2 years after this season and he is 30 years old.

It is never good when you have a big name player on the chopping block and have to take him off. Peja finding out he was traded by watching TV was just terrible. I really like that GP is trying to shake things up and is withdrawing from the AI hunt if he was being asked to give up too much for AI like KMart etc. The fact is we still need to make some moves as in getting a big man shot blocker/rebounder so AI isn't a huge necessity for us per say, we are solid at 1-3 at least starting wise, we need help at 4/5 at least in some decent backups besides Pot and Taylor. We do have a large $ amt of expiring contracts so I'm hopeful we can get someone here in the FA market, but then I hear that even with the expiring contracts we cannot get more than the MLE. Bibby is most likely going to walk and I'm all for a true PG to distribute to his teamates 1st before shooting.

Are we truely out of the talks? I really don't want us to take on Dal's big contract, but if we give Philly K9, then that's not bad and also if we don't have to give up KMart, at the least we should try to get Hunter.

Man would Bibby be snubbing us big time if he went to the Lakers, but GP did have his neck on the chopping block so maybe he will do that. That could be a very scary Laker's team with Bibby/Kobe/Odom/Kwame/Bynum good size and good scoring guards ouch. :mad:

Either Bibby's taking a massive paycut and signing for the MLE or the Kings are getting Lamar Odom in a S&T because those are the only two scenarios where that's possible.
According to ESPN, the Lakers are 24.5 million over the salary cap right now. On their books they have 10.6 million coming off of their books in 2007. But when has the Lakers ever been scared to spend money. Besides if the Kings do participate in a sign and trade with the Lakers, I would be more than happy to take Kwame Brown off of their hands I think :confused: .

I'd be happy with Odom. Can he play PF though or is he a SF? We were trying to get him here in a Peja trade I heard last year or even the year before that.

Odom is a tremendous talent. I'd take him for Bibby any day.
I wouldn't, because that leaves us without a point guard.

I have to believe with all of the developments on the AI story that Bibby is done here. It sure seems like the deal was being driven by an apparent Bibby/Artest divide than the desire to bring a superstar player to Sac, especially if there was any truth to the possibility of acquiring Baron Davis instead of AI.

I thought there was a pretty good chance that Bibby and Brad were likely to be dealt by the deadline but now I'm sure Bibby is out and likely sooner rather than later.

This will be spun by Mike's supporters that the Maloofs dissed him on the AI deal thus justifying him opting out this year. But didn't he do the same by demanding the option to begin with?

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bibby is not a Phil Jackson PG, and they have no money anyway. In all liklihood we lost him this weekend with this fiasco, but its probably not going to be the Lakers.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm sure will have some sore feelings about being shopped. The NBA ego is fragile.
I'm not sure that's true. While he might opt out for a variety of reasons, being traded is part of being a professional athlete, especially since collective bargaining came into the picture.

Bibby came to Sacramento in a trade. He's seen everyone he orginally played with here traded away. I don't think his ego will suffer. In fact, there's actually the chance he'll go out tonight and light up the Warriors. I would expect that more than a bruised ego...

Jordan Farmar looks very good. Jackson is using him a lot and getting good results. I'm sure he'll roller coaster, but he's 19 and already performing at a much higher level than livingston next door. College seems to have helped.

Anyhow, Bibby has to go now. I think it was Josey Wales who said "there just ain't no forgettin'" and I don't look forward to the sour look on Bibby's face. If he's not careful he's going to look like his dad.

This situation is a little like breaking up with a girlfriend because you think Jennifer Anniston is interested in you and then you find out she is nearsighted and thought you were a guy who was a gopher on her last movie set. Then you go back and tell your girlfriend, the Jennifer thing is out of your system now and you're ready for a great big open mouth make-up kiss.

Rot's o ruck.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It appears some people are trying to invest their emotional view of the team onto the players. Those guys don't view this as a family that has to stick together through thick and thin. They know it's a business.

Bibby isn't a home town boy. He wasn't drafted by the Kings. He hasn't played here his entire career.

He's a professional athlete. IMHO this whole thing is being blown up way out of all proportion.

The comparison of life in the NBA to breaking up with a girlfriend just doesn't apply. At least not any more. Back in the days when players started with one team and played their entire career in that same spot, maybe. But now? Free agency took care of that.

If Bibby is seriously thinking about opting out of his contract at the end of the season - and he'd be a fool not to consider it - then I think he has to accept the possibility the Kings may try to trade him before then.

It appears some people are trying to invest their emotional view of the team onto the players. Those guys don't view this as a family that has to stick together through thick and thin. They know it's a business.

Bibby isn't a home town boy. He wasn't drafted by the Kings. He hasn't played here his entire career.

He's a professional athlete. IMHO this whole thing is being blown up way out of all proportion.

The comparison of life in the NBA to breaking up with a girlfriend just doesn't apply. At least not any more. Back in the days when players started with one team and played their entire career in that same spot, maybe. But now? Free agency took care of that.

If Bibby is seriously thinking about opting out of his contract at the end of the season - and he'd be a fool not to consider it - then I think he has to accept the possibility the Kings may try to trade him before then.
Agreed 100%.

Unless Mike Bibby plans to play for the MLE, he will not be a LA Laker.

They don't have the ability to sign him.

As was said earlier in this thread, we most likely lost him, but, not to the Lakers.

what the heck is a Jennifer Anniston?

Jordan Farmar looks very good. Jackson is using him a lot and getting good results. I'm sure he'll roller coaster, but he's 19 and already performing at a much higher level than livingston next door. College seems to have helped.

Anyhow, Bibby has to go now. I think it was Josey Wales who said "there just ain't no forgettin'" and I don't look forward to the sour look on Bibby's face. If he's not careful he's going to look like his dad.

This situation is a little like breaking up with a girlfriend because you think Jennifer Anniston is interested in you and then you find out she is nearsighted and thought you were a guy who was a gopher on her last movie set. Then you go back and tell your girlfriend, the Jennifer thing is out of your system now and you're ready for a great big open mouth make-up kiss.

Rot's o ruck.
...and what does it have to do with Josey Wales' gopher?

King's Fans seem starved for change

That seems to be the upshot after viewing these threads for the last couple of days. I don't think too many of us were pointing at AI as a solution before his name came up in his recent split with Philly Management, but, when he became prominent in the news, many of us wanted him here. It really does seem, in retrospect, that we want "anything but the status quo". So it's back to having some faith in team management to bring back the Kings brand of basketball that we've gotten accustomed to. There's no going back...not willingly or gracefully, anyhow.