Why does everyone hate the Warriors? (split)

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Why does everybody hate the Warriors so much?
I suspect many people have a huge distaste for what impact they may have on the future style of play in the NBA. I don't dislike them but I don't want the NBA to be a three point shooting league. It takes skill but a well run Princeton offense takes far more skill and team work. Three point shooting doesn't have anything to do with team work. I prefer a team sport.

I suspect many people have a huge distaste for what impact they may have on the future style of play in the NBA. I don't dislike them but I don't want the NBA to be a three point shooting league. It takes skill but a well run Princeton offense takes far more skill and team work. Three point shooting doesn't have anything to do with team work. I prefer a team sport.
But you'd be okay with just letting DMC go 1 on 1 in the post and grinding it out (I'm assuming here so please forgive me if my presumption was wrong)? How is Curry chucking 3s which he is immensely good at any different from having the great bigs of old pounding it inside? Both are unstoppable. The %s aren't that different. Or are guards not meant to score for the game to be considered basketball?

Don't get me wrong - we all have personal preferences, but for some (not necessarily you Glenn) to suggest that one style is objectively and solely greater than another is rather arrogant to me. Teams that don't have Currys and Thompsons will soon find that they can't achieve the same level of success trying to emulate the Warriors exactly.

What Glenn and Slim said.

If those weren't reasons enough, I hate the Warriors, Lakers, and Clippers for the same reason SF Giants fans hate the Dodgers or Cubs fan hates White Sox or Raiders fans hate the Niners. They are a regional and/or division rival.

My dislike for the Warriors didn't at all begin with this team we are seeing now.

Furthermore, my dislike of the Warriors has surpassed my hate for the Lakers in the same way that, as a Dolphins fan, my dislike of the Patriots has surpassed my hate of the NY Jets. Whichever team is more relevant and winning is the team you loathe the most. :D

My question in return is, if you are a Kings fan, how could you possibly like the Warriors?

Every single Warriors fan that I know HATES the Kings -- even though they haven't been good in 10 years. They hated them worse during the Webber-Divac-Peja era.

Every single Lakers fan that I know HATES the Kings -- even though we've hardly ever been a threat to them.

I could see a Kings fan taking sides with the Warriors over the Lakers. But over anybody else?? I just don't get it.

Last edited:
What difference does it make? This is a Kings message board; hating the Warriors, or any other team, should not be considered unusual. Liking the Warriors should be the aberration around here.
Join us on the west coast. We have ne of the best teams n the NBA. And the Kings are getting better. Some of us don't "hate" our Kings opponent. I don't and you know what - I feel perfectly normal.

I hate every team in the NBA besides the Kings, but does that mean I can't appreciate a team's style of play and their success?

I hate everyone in a Dodgers uniform. I hope Kershaw gets shelled in every start, but I still respect the numbers he puts up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Because I love the game of basketball and I ABHOR what the Warriors have done to it. There is so much more to this revered game than what the Warriors bring to the table. Their use of the three because of the freak talent of Steph Curry is going to inspire a whole generation of kids to only learn to shoot from distance...and the game will be the worse for it.

I don't expect you to agree, but you asked. I'm not going to argue the point further.

Because I love the game of basketball and I ABHOR what the Warriors have done to it. There is so much more to this revered game than what the Warriors bring to the table. Their use of the three because of the freak talent of Steph Curry is going to inspire a whole generation of kids to only learn to shoot from distance...and the game will be the worse for it.

I don't expect you to agree, but you asked. I'm not going to argue the point further.
I wasn't really looking for an argument. I respect your opinion. I personally think it's a thing of beauty to watch. It's just the direction sports is going. More finesse and skills based. Football is going that way too.

I guess I can understand if people "hate" the Warriors because of the geographic rivalry but it's interesting to me that so many just don't like their style of play.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
What I find interesting is that you seem surprised that Kings Fans are not in unanimity that Golden State's style of play is fun and/or beautiful to watch. Like you find the very idea to be incomprehensible.

I get it. Some people don't like their style of play.

What I truly don't understand is when people throw around the term "that's not how basketball is supposed to be played." Do we forget how much the game has changed since its inception? I wonder what basketball purists of the 50's think of combo guards today dribbling the ball for 15 seconds all over the court.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Well, in the fifties, all guards could have been considered "combo guards." The concept of point guard, et. al., is relatively new-fangled, from a fifties perspective.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, why hasn't anyone launched an inquiry into why Cleveland has gotten any hate? I mean, really: tell somebody that you hate Cleveland, and/or LeBron, and nobody gives a ****. Tell them that you hate Golden State, and/or Curry, and you get, "But why, though?"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I wasn't really looking for an argument. I respect your opinion. I personally think it's a thing of beauty to watch. It's just the direction sports is going. More finesse and skills based. Football is going that way too.

I guess I can understand if people "hate" the Warriors because of the geographic rivalry but it's interesting to me that so many just don't like their style of play.
You really think watching some guy jack up 3's all night is more beautiful than watching a well-oiled machine (like the 2001-2003 Kings) passing, cutting, driving, etc? Basketball was created to be a team game with a focus on passing and outmaneuvering your opposition. When done well it's pure poetry in motion. Watching Peja shoot threes was incredible to me because it was part of the symphony, not a never-ending solo act. What Steph Curry does is nothing more than circus-shot entertainment, IMHO.

As far as the "geographic rivalry" goes, I couldn't possibly care less about that. I was a Celtics fan before the Kings came to town. (Partially why my hatred of the Lakers goes so deep I suppose).

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
What might be considered "beautiful" basketball to you, differs from the next poster. We all grew up in different eras. Therefore we watch what we are able to, not many of us go back in time and watch the former teams play so what might be warranted as the right way to play doesn't have merit here IMO. If another poster likes this chuck-tastic three point style shooting, to each his own. I love big bully basketball, punish teams in the paint. That's how I grew up watching the game.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
And that's all cool, but I'm not the one up in here declaring my preferred style of play to be the best, or the "most beautiful," or the "most fun," and implying that people who aren't on board with how teams are playing now need to come out of the stone age and get into formation, or whatever passive-aggressive coded language they're using instead of that, which ends up more or less meaning the same thing. I'm not the one over here on some, "WHY U NO LIKE BULLY BALL?"

The Warriors pass,drive and cut as well as any team in basketball...Bogut/Draymond are two of the best passing big men in the NBA, Curry makes great passes, Andre Iggy is a tremendous passer. Yeah Steph and Klay jack it up but they also incorporate a team game into a "circus shot" entertainment style also so you got the best of both worlds.
I not only "like" your post but it also goes to the heart of why I have no problem with the Warriors' style of play. Besides Iggy's passing ability his defense is something the Kings would love to have. Has anyone noticed Curry's ability to go to the basket? If the Kimgs can add defense, team play with movement, passing and shared scoring (of all kinds) we might give the Warriors a god run for their money. I'm looking forward to that.

Lebron is easy to dislike because of his whole "I'm taking my talents to South Beach drama." Add in the fact he's basically the de facto GM in Cleveland and fired the coach who got him to the Finals the previous year...not easy to root for.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Mileage varies on whether or not LeBron James is "easy" to dislike. My point is that nobody around here ever gets challenged to defend their dislike of LeBron James.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
You're still missing the point.

Nobody around here seems to care why you hate the Cavaliers. Nobody around here seems to care why you hate the gd lakers. Nobody around here seems to care why you hate the Mavericks. Nobody around here seems to care why you hate the Clippers. Nobody around here seems to care why you hate the Knicks. Or, taking it to players, nobody around here gets asked to justify their hate of LeBron James, nobody around here gets asked to justify their hate of Chris Paul, nobody around here gets asked to justify their hate of James Harden, nobody around here gets asked to justify their hate of Dwight Howard, and so on, and so on.

You can just log on to KingsFans.com and say that you hate those teams or those players, and people will just be, like, "aight," and keep it moving. You only get the "But why, tho?" when you say that you hate the Warriors, and/or Curry. That annoys me.

Sure, no one cares when you simply say you hate them. People on here could say they hate the Warriors and I wouldn't blink an eye. However, when you specifically say you hate the Warriors because they are ruining the game, you can't expect not to get disagreement and be challenged. Anybody can hate any team they want, but when you bring in the integrity of the game, it's a different ballgame.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Can you show me a counterfactual for that? Not saying that I don't believe you but, well...

Just because I'm responding to you doesn't mean that I'm just talking about you, and nobody else but you. Your boy @New Era certainly didn't bother waiting for someone to say that the Warriors are ruining the game. He just straight led off with a flat "Why does everybody hate the Warriors so much?", with no other qualifiers. So don't try to tell me it's not happening. Maybe you're not doing it, but it's being done.

not a never-ending solo act. What Steph Curry does is nothing more than circus-shot entertainment, IMHO.
This comment got me thinking that what Steph, Klay and the Warriors are doing isn't too drastically different than what MJ, Pippen and the Bulls or Kobe, Shaq and the Lakers did during their respective eras. If you go back and check the teams stats during their best seasons (72 win Bulls, 67 win Lakers), they are eerily similar in many respects.

The teams top 2 scorers averaged around the same, including overall % of the teams total points
  • Curry 30.1, Klay 22.1 (45% of teams pts)
  • Jordan 30.4, Pippen 19.4 (47% of teams pts)
  • Shaq 29.7, Kobe 22.4 (51% of teams pts)
And for all the hype the Warriors get for playing "team" ball, they only had 4 double-digit scorers this year. The Bulls and Lakers had 3 each. FWIW, the 2001-2002 Kings had SEVEN.

In summary, the stats bear out that the Warriors are winning in the exact same manner the Bulls and Lakers did --- led by 2 prime scorers that score 45 - 50% of their total points.

Furthermore, while many of the Curry/Klay lovers out there loathe MJ and Kobe for their ISO ball, the Warriors are essentially doing the same thing with their 2 scorers. Instead of ISO and drive, they ISO and shoot from distance. How many times do we see Curry and Klay ISO beyond the 3pt line and dribble around for an eventual step back 3 in the final minutes of games?

They aren't much different in this regard.

The Warriors pass,drive and cut as well as any team in basketball...Bogut/Draymond are two of the best passing big men in the NBA, Curry makes great passes, Andre Iggy is a tremendous passer.
You saw more of this type of basketball during the regular season against over-matched teams. They were like a cat playing with a mouse. However, you're not seeing as much of it in the postseason against better teams. Down the stretch against OKC, their offense generally consisted of Steph or Klay creating their own shots off the dribble (often step back 3's) or via screen and curls.

Not much different than the other championship teams I mentioned. The only difference is the number of 3's.

Can you show me a counterfactual for that? Not saying that I don't believe you but, well...

Just because I'm responding to you doesn't mean that I'm just talking about you, and nobody else but you. Your boy @New Era certainly didn't bother waiting for someone to say that the Warriors are ruining the game. He just straight led off with a flat "Why does everybody hate the Warriors so much?", with no other qualifiers. So don't try to tell me it's not happening. Maybe you're not doing it, but it's being done.
I can't speak for him since i don't know him.

Maybe he has allegiance to both Norcal teams. I know people who love both the A's and Giants.

However, when you specifically say you hate the Warriors because they are ruining the game, you can't expect not to get disagreement and be challenged..
OK. so you challenged it. Everyone knows what side of the fence you are on. I think VF21 has explained numerous times why she believes the game is going to eventually suffer from this. Slim, Brick, myself and a few others have concisely outlined why we don't care for the style of play. You and a few others don't share that opinion. No problem. I think it's fair to assume at this time that nobody is going to change their opinion on this. That's fine too. So there's really nothing more to discuss on the topic. Fair enough?

The only truth is that neither side can prove that it's right.