Who'll be the new villains of the NBA, now that the Lakers are gone?

There was an article on the Sports Illustrated website saying that the NBA needed new villains to fill the Laker's shoes, because they can't fit the villain bill this season. Who will be this season's NY Yankees? The Spurs are arguably just as good as the Lakers were, but they don't bring out that visceral hatred that we all had for the Lakers. Minnesota will be on everyone's shortlist of elite teams, but they were my second fav team after the Kings last season, and people don't hate them either. Shaq seems to have gotten the hate only when he was in LA, because he didn't get it in Orlando and it doesn't seem as if he'll get it in Miami (not from me, anyway).

Who do you guys think?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As I mentioned on the "old" board,

DIE, LAKER SCUM!!

Sorry, but as long as I have breath in my body, my "visceral hatred" will be reserved for those guys in purple and gold...

And that's just the way it is.

VF21 said:

DIE, LAKER SCUM!!

Sorry, but as long as I have breath in my body, my "visceral hatred" will be reserved for those guys in purple and gold...

VF you know you can't hate on the Lakers with Vlade playing for them :D

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
The Lakers are still evil enough for me, but if we HAVE to find a new villian I nominate the Timberwolves. After watching this years play off performance it seemed obvious that in theri efforts to "play tough" they crossed the line into thugery.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Freakout said:
VF you know you can't hate on the Lakers with Vlade playing for them :D
Vlade OFF the court is one thing. Vlade, in purple and gold, gets the same as every other Laker...

DIE, LAKER SCUM!!

I have been a Sacramento Kings fan since the beginning. That is, bottom line, where my loyalties lie. It's not even something I had to think twice about.

How about the Kings filling some of that space (to opposing teams, of course)? I think Webber & Miller could bring some attitude and Songaila/Ostertag would back it up. And Bibby'll stick a dagger to an opposing team without blinking....

....lest we forget Dougie's uppercut if need be...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was thinking of adding a comment about how Peja would hug them if their feelings got hurt, but I decided it might not be nice...

;)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
HndsmCelt said:
The Lakers are still evil enough for me, but if we HAVE to find a new villian I nominate the Timberwolves. After watching this years play off performance it seemed obvious that in theri efforts to "play tough" they crossed the line into thugery.
Although I am with VF on the "Die, Laker scum", I like your response, HC. The TWolves have become thugs, especially the MVP who attacked a Rookie on his own team...unprovoked, I might add.

Most hated teams:

1. Lakers (it is a law)
2. Timberwolves (just cause I want to)
3. Anyone who beats the Kings (this list will be short this year) :p

i've with VF21, as long as the lakers are the lakers, i hate them. and they still have kobe, it's EASY to still hate them.

and the timberwoofs. KG is an *** and a thug. there is NO excuse for punching a rookie becuase he was kicking your butt one day in freaking PRACTICE. what a JERK. any team he is on is a team i will hate. ( but i can never hate wally :D)

the mavs anyone???? not so much the team but cuban. i can't STAND him!!!!!! i love beating the mavs just to see him squirm.

Anyone that is a threat to us winning a championship. Spurs, Wolves, Pistons, Pacers and Rockets, (Lakers too, they might not be a championship caliber team yet but I think they will make some noise with the roster that they have):mad:

VF21 said:

DIE, LAKER SCUM!!

Here, Here!!

6th said:
Although I am with VF on the "Die, Laker scum", I like your response, HC. The TWolves have become thugs, especially the MVP who attacked a Rookie on his own team...unprovoked, I might add.

Most hated teams:

1. Lakers (it is a law)
2. Timberwolves (just cause I want to)
3. Anyone who beats the Kings (this list will be short this year) :p
^^ what she said! :D

piksi

Hall of Famer
Where did lakers go?

As long as they are "out there" - they will be extremely disliked.

And yes I like Vlade and hope he loses 82 games this season,

If I had to pick a team I'd probally go with Miami Heat next year. I look for most of the vile to leave the western conference (no more Shaq and Phil) and instead be aimed toward teams in the eastern conference like Indy and Detroit. Seems wherever Shaq goes the smack talking follows.

Freakout said:
If I had to pick a team I'd probally go with Miami Heat next year. I look for most of the vile to leave the western conference (no more Shaq and Phil) and instead be aimed toward teams in the eastern conference like Indy and Detroit. Seems wherever Shaq goes the smack talking follows.
Yeah, Miami! That's the ticket.

Lakers hater for life!!!:p

I hope someone would kick KG and Wally butt!! :D

Lastly, any team that has Krispy Kreme donut and lard eater, I will also despise.

eflat said:
How about the Kings filling some of that space (to opposing teams, of course)? I think Webber & Miller could bring some attitude and Songaila/Ostertag would back it up. And Bibby'll stick a dagger to an opposing team without blinking....

....lest we forget Dougie's uppercut if need be...
I agree, I think the Kings have a good shot at being the bad-guys for the next few seasons. Now if we could just get Adelman to grow one of those long pointy moustaches and wear black all the time, we are all set.

I think the T-Wolves have the pieces necessary to attract hatred, at least from me. I was getting ready to cheer them on at the beginning of last season, because KG finally had the pieces necessary to move deep into the playoffs, a situation that I thought he deserved for being so loyal. But then, once they signed Mark Madsen, the love was lost instantly. I really dislike the guy because he is unnecessarily cocky and irritating.

And this may seem a little shallow, but god, Madsen, along with Sam Cassell, Ervin Johnson, Oliver Miller, Trenton Hassell, and Mike Olowakandi's unkept appearance combine to make one hell of an ugly team. This will undoubtedly facilitate hateful feelings when it comes to their exposure on TV broadcasts. And hey, all they have to do is sign the newly released Popeye Jones, and their team is set. To take a cue from the all-time great, Batman, I will dub the forementioned members of the T-Wolves "The Rogues Gallery."

Anyone hear that TJ Ford may never be able to play again from colliding with Mad Dog? He has a bruised spinal cord. Ouch. Mad Dog's dangerous.

VF21 said:
Vlade OFF the court is one thing. Vlade, in purple and gold, gets the same as every other Laker...

DIE, LAKER SCUM!!

I have been a Sacramento Kings fan since the beginning. That is, bottom line, where my loyalties lie. It's not even something I had to think twice about.
Of course. Me, i've only been a fan since 2002's clash with the Lakers, but i'm still a fan...

The prob with the Lakers this year is that they'll probably be more ready to die than previous Laker teams. The hate isn't there for me anymore, it's just pity...and I am pissed that our guys couldn't do what Detroit did, blow Showtime II out of the water.

I dunno about KG being an ***, I do think he can get a bit too intense for his own good. It's debatable as to whether or not there's a difference...

but yeah, if the 'Wolves get a 'tude, get Prince and Kirby Puckett to show up for all home games on the sidelines, and KG clocks everyone in sight (all while heading for a 70 win season), then we may have found our villains.

Heat vs. Lakers, who you gonna root for? :D

PT Cruiser 9ROC said:
And this may seem a little shallow, but god, Madsen, along with Sam Cassell, Ervin Johnson, Oliver Miller, Trenton Hassell, and Mike Olowakandi's unkept appearance combine to make one hell of an ugly team. This will undoubtedly facilitate hateful feelings when it comes to their exposure on TV broadcasts. And hey, all they have to do is sign the newly released Popeye Jones, and their team is set. To take a cue from the all-time great, Batman, I will dub the forementioned members of the T-Wolves "The Rogues Gallery."
Yeah, well, they'll say "forget you" when their ugly mugs stomp the heck out of some pretty boy team. If I wanted to see pretty faces, i'd watch America's Top Model, not the NBA :p

NoBonus said:
I agree, I think the Kings have a good shot at being the bad-guys for the next few seasons. Now if we could just get Adelman to grow one of those long pointy moustaches and wear black all the time, we are all set.
Kinda like this guy?