Who will replace Muss?

I thought it would be appropriate to center our Muss replacement ideas into one specific thread. Yes, I know, he has not been fired yet, but I am going to go with the assumption that he is being fired. Who would YOU like to see as the next Kings head coach?

Will it be another former head coach/ current assistant coach like Muss? An assistant coach? A head coach currently without an assignment? A current head coach willing to leave his current team? Another head coach who will be fired this off-season? A college level coach?

Thoughts? Speculation?

The same person I wanted when they hired Mucushead.

This guy :D :

Mario Elie
College - American International
Mario Elie, who played 11 seasons in the NBA – including two with Golden State – became a Warriors assistant coach in 2004-05. Prior to joining the Warriors coaching staff, he spent last season on the bench as an assistant coach with the San Antonio Spurs. Elie has made the playoffs in all 12 of his seasons as an NBA player and coach.

For the rest of the info: http://www.nba.com/coachfile/mario_elie/index.html?nav=page

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Another question. Do you hire a coach to match your team OR build your team around the coach?
Neither. You build a team that has the balance of talent and skills necessary to compete effectively in the NBA. You hire a coach with the ability to get the best performance out of the players he's given.

This year, we're going to most likely have a brand-new coach before draft day, meaning he won't be hired to match the team because the team will be undergoing a lot of changes. And I do not think Petrie will be basing his player decisions on which coach he hires.

You get the best available players and the best available coach. They're all being paid millions to put it together and make it work.

And I'm not going to pick who I think would be the best coach. I just want Petrie (and the Maloofs, should they still be so inclined) to cast a wide net and consider a lot of potentials. I'd have more faith in the whole process if I knew the Maloofs were going to stay out of it and actually just let Petrie do his job...

Neither. You build a team that has the balance of talent and skills necessary to compete effectively in the NBA. You hire a coach with the ability to get the best performance out of the players he's given.

This year, we're going to most likely have a brand-new coach before draft day, meaning he won't be hired to match the team because the team will be undergoing a lot of changes. And I do not think Petrie will be basing his player decisions on which coach he hires.

You get the best available players and the best available coach. They're all being paid millions to put it together and make it work.

And I'm not going to pick who I think would be the best coach. I just want Petrie (and the Maloofs, should they still be so inclined) to cast a wide net and consider a lot of potentials. I'd have more faith in the whole process if I knew the Maloofs were going to stay out of it and actually just let Petrie do his job...
I agree with everything you say, however I think that if you had 2 great coaches for instance Adelman and Fertello, I think that Adelman is better suited to coach a offensive minded team where as Fertello would be better coaching a defensive minded team.

But the arguement can be made, could Adelman have a defensive minded team and place a good enough offensive system into that team to make them a great team all around.

Note: Adelman and Fertello were just used as examples.

I agree with everything you say, however I think that if you had 2 great coaches for instance Adelman and Fertello, I think that Adelman is better suited to coach a offensive minded team where as Fertello would be better coaching a defensive minded team.

But the arguement can be made, could Adelman have a defensive minded team and place a good enough offensive system into that team to make them a great team all around.

Note: Adelman and Fertello were just used as examples.

Adelman basically did that in 02 and 03. He had a great offensive minded team and placed a very good defense into that team and made them a great team in 02 and 03.

Would SVG fit in in Sacramento? Ellie is interesting; I see him as an "Artest-centric" coach as he has strong ties to Ron.

As far as Iavaroni goes, all I know about him is that saying his name aloud makes me hungry for Italian food.

Could/would Adelman come back? Seems like a long shot to me.

What about Weisnant <sp?> Why has his name not come up yet?

Any way you cut it, it sure is disappointing that Muss did not succeed in Sac.

Marc Iavaroni

A 14-year veteran of the NBA as a player or coach, Marc Iavaroni joined the Suns coaching staff in 2002.

Previously he served as assistant coach/director of player development with Pat Riley from 1999-2002. Iavaroni's responsibilities consisted of all general duties of an assistant coach plus the direct responsibility of developing Heat players year round. Prior to that he was an assistant coach under Cleveland Head Coach Mike Fratello for two seasons (1997-1999), concentrating his efforts on big man development.

Iavaroni owes much of his teaching expertise to his 20-year association as a student and instructor under Hall of Fame coach Pete Newell.

A seven-year NBA veteran from 1982-1989, Iavaroni played for Philadelphia, San Antonio and Utah. He was a starter as a rookie on the 76ers’ 1983 World Championship team, voted one of the 10 best NBA teams of all-time. In 1984-85 he played for San Antonio and then-head coach Cotton Fitzsimmons before completing his final three seasons with the Jazz, who won the Midwest Division in 1989.

Iavaroni concluded his professional career alongside current Suns Head Coach Mike D’Antoni in Milan before retiring in 1991. avaroni played professionally overseas for five seasons in Italy and Spain including three seasons after his college career and two seasons following his NBA career.

His coaching career began as a graduate assistant coach at his alma mater, University of Virginia, helping the Cavaliers to their first Final Four in 1981. Following his professional playing career, Iavaroni was an assistant coach at Bowling Green State University for two seasons from 1992-94.

As a collegian, Iavaroni had a successful stint at University of Virginia, where he was a four-year starter and finished in 1978 ranked in Virginia's top 10 in career scoring and rebounding. He gained first-team All-Tournament honors on Virginia's 1976 ACC Tournament championship team, an accomplishment still among his most satisfying playing achievements.

Born in Jamaica, New York, Iavaroni and his wife Caroline are the parents of three teenage sons, Kenton, McCray and Jackson.

Not that it is a pre-requesite but at least this guy not only played in the NBA but had success in the NBA.....unlike Muss. I think this has alot to do with the "respect level" that NBA players have for their coach.

If the Maloofs are going to go with experience then they are going to need to fork out the dough. Why not up the ante and bring Larry Brown back into the picture. If we are moving towards youth, and if we can find a way to dump most of our vets, then Larry would be the perfect guy to mold our youth.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If the Maloofs are going to go with experience then they are going to need to fork out the dough. Why not up the ante and bring Larry Brown back into the picture. If we are moving towards youth, and if we can find a way to dump most of our vets, then Larry would be the perfect guy to mold our youth.
I knew it was only a matter of time before someone brought up the name of that money-sucking cancer.

Sorry, but Larry Brown has burned - BADLY - the last two teams he's coached. Bringing him here would arguably be the single worst possible thing the Kings could do if they're trying to rebuild the franchise into something positive with some kind of a future.

Brown should never be allowed to coach basketball again.

Rick Adelman. Since thats not going to happen as long as Maloofs are the owners of this team then I would be happy with Stan Van Gundy. With SVG, at least you are giving yourself a chance with a good proven coach.