Who should take the shot?

Who should take the last shot for the Kings with a game on the line?

• Ron Artest

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Kevin Martin

Votes: 39 81.3%

• Total voters

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The Bee had this poll online Friday with the results posted this morning. I thought I'd see what our members thought, using the exact same wording as the Sacramento Bee...

Entity

Hall of Famer
I think its obvious who should take the shot. Kevin Martin should take the OPEN shot. But if you got bring the ball up for the final possesion and Ron is posted up in single coverage then you throw it to Ron. It would be nice if it was a simple as who gets the last shot but, defenses play them different. I hate to see them force a pass to Kevin when he is running toward the inbounds pass then he has to turn and power through the defense. We all know who is most successful in powering through.

Back to the original question if both are wide open and you have the oppurtunity to pass to either one then you go to Kevin because the percentages tell you so.

If you expect one to create their on shot then Ron should get it. Kevin creation depends alot on contact and getting to the line. We all know the refs don't call the fouls in the final seconds of a game and you need Ron to power throught the foul and take the shot.

Which ever one is open.

Heck, Brad Miller can take it if he's wide open. I think the offense would generally start with Miller at the high post looking to pass out after setting a screen and maybe get it back for the final shot. If it goes into Artest (or Salmons for that matter) and he can get to the basket or shoot it before the double team then maybe it's up to him. If Martin has the opening maybe he pulls up or slashes to the rim. Ideally, there's enough time for all three to possibly touch to ball at some point. If the Kings need a three to win one or two seconds left I'd certainly want Garcia on the floor to fire away if he's open. Beno is getting better at creating for himself, getting into the lane and creating. I guess I don't know, but I want more than one go to guy on my team in the clutch.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yeah I want a team where all 5 guys are talented enough to take the last shot when needed. I don't want to force it to one guy thinking if he can't do it nobody can. That line of thinking has lost alot of teams alot of games. We used to do it with Bibby. I have seen Bibby take 35 footers with 3 guys in his face and somebody was wide open somewhere. Kobe, Michael, Carmello, Lebron have won alot of games on the final shot. They have also lost alot games by missing that final shot and if you could go back and look at each of those misses. Somebody was wide open somewhere on the court. Its up to the coach to have capable player on the court when that time comes.

Id like to see
Beno
Martin
Garcia
Salmons
Artest

all on the court with 2 or 3 seconds left in the game. I would be happy with whom ever gets the ball because they all ore capable. Now I don't want to see Moore or Williams in the game in that situation.

Wow... just saw the Bee poll. I didn't expect Ron to be the hands down winner, but 87%-13% in Kevin's favor is an amazingly lopsided result.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Actually if you go by the % in that stat Moore is our leader followed by Udrih Miller Artest then Salmons the Martin. % is what you want in the clutch. They get the stats from the final 2 min of games where moore my lead us in % in the last 2 min i doubt you want to throw it to him with 2 seconds left.

If its a 3 pointer you want then Artest is leader in that category.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Wow... just saw the Bee poll. I didn't expect Ron to be the hands down winner, but 87%-13% in Kevin's favor is an amazingly lopsided result.

The numbers don't really surprise me. Too many games have been lost while Ron takes a crappy shot instead of passing out to the open man. Fans have seen that too many times.

Actually if you go by the % in that stat Moore is our leader followed by Udrih Miller Artest then Salmons the Martin.
Although, with Artest, Salmons and Martin all clumped up between .500 and .517, the difference is so small as to be meaningless. Miller does considerably worse, I think you saw Memphis' Miller rather than ours.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yeah, the wording there is key. Because whenever you focus on the word "shot" you tilt the balance toward the guy who's main contribution is shooting. Whereas "who should have the ball with the game on the line" favors the guy who can actually draw doubles and pass (even if he does not do so as much as you might wish).

Entity

Hall of Famer
The numbers don't really surprise me. Too many games have been lost while Ron takes a crappy shot instead of passing out to the open man. Fans have seen that too many times.

I think you misread that. It says that 87% of people think RON should take the last shot.

Martins going to get the last shot of the game better to make him gain confidence now :D

Artest will "sho0t" at the last guy who looks at him funny

I did not vote because I do like the Bees wording. I want Kevin to take the open shot if it is available. If not, please get Ron the ball and let him do his thing, which will eventually lead to him taking the last shot 9 out of 10 times.

It comes down to these semantics, I want Kevin to have the ball if he has an open shot. I want Ron to have the ball if no one has an open shot. If anyone else is open for a high percentage shot (of theirs), I want them to have it.

I think that this poll is blowing out of proportion the Reggie comments, and perhaps negating their intended effect. So much for him working the press.

Entity

Hall of Famer
If the question was who should take the last shot and fnordius said it was 87% to 13% "in Kevin's favor" then how did I misread that?
My bad I got lost around the "I didn't think Ron would be the hands down winner. Guess I should have read the rest of the sentence after the 87% part.

Salmons showed in a few games this season as did garcia that they are both clutch players. Kevin hasnt really been given the chance this season by reggie to prove that he can be our go too guy and hit that game winner, id love to see that change to really see how he handles it.