Who should be the Kings Starting Small Forward?

Who should start at Small Forward?

• Bogdan Bogdanovich

Votes: 29 34.1%
  • Nigel Hayes

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Justin Jackson

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Jakarr Sampson

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Garrett Temple

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Trade for someone, who?

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Sign a remaining free agent, who?

• Someone else, who?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone else

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Iman Shumpert

• Total voters
Well, most of the desired free agent targets are off the market, except for a few.

The Kings have some players that can play or slide over to Small Forward, if needed.

What should the Kings do with the starting small forward position?

Go with someone currently on our roster, make a trade, sign a remaining free agent?

Who and why?

Last edited:
Let's take a look at the per36 min stats of the two young guys I would consider:

Bogdanovic: .556 TS% / .446 FG% / .392 3PT% / .840 FT% / 15.2 PPG / 3.7 RPG / 4.3 APG / 1.2 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 2.1 TOPG / 2.8 PFPG
Jus. Jackson:
.521 TS% / .442 FG% / .308 3PT% / .722 FT% / 10.8 PPG / 4.5 RPG / 1.8 APG / 0.7 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 1.0 TOPG / 1.9 PFPG

Bogdanovic obviously looks a lot more impressive but a lot of people are worried about his size while they feel comfortable with Jackson's size at SF. Let's take a look:

Bogdanovic
Weight: 205 lbs
Height w/o Shoes: 6'5.2"
Height w/ Shoes: 6'6.4"
Wingspan: 6'11.1"
Standing Reach: 8'8.3"

Jus. Jackson
Weight: 200.8 lbs
Height w/o Shoes: 6'7"
Height w/ Shoes: 6'8.25"
Wingspan: 6'11"
Standing Reach: 8'8.5"

Essentially the same weight, wingspan and standing reach. I'm going with Bogdanovic. Plus, that means Hield moves to the starting lineup as well.

Last edited:
Let's take a look at the per36 min stats of the two young guys I would consider:

Bogdanovic: .556 TS% / .446 FG% / .392 3PT% / .840 FT% / 15.2 PPG / 3.7 RPG / 4.3 APG / 1.2 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 2.1 TOPG / 2.8 PFPG
Jus. Jackson:
.521 TS% / .442 FG% / .308 3PT% / .722 FT% / 10.8 PPG / 4.5 RPG / 1.8 APG / 0.7 SPG / 0.3 BPG / 1.0 TOPG / 1.9 PFPG

Bogdanovic obviously looks a lot more impressive but a lot of people are worried about his size while they feel comfortable with Jackson's size at SF. Let's take a look:

Bogdanovic
Weight: 205 lbs
Height w/o Shoes: 6'5.17"
Height w/ Shoes: 6'6.35"
Wingspan: 6'11.07"
Standing Reach: 8'8.33"

Jus. Jackson
Weight: 200.8 lbs
Height w/o Shoes: 6'5.75"
Height w/ Shoes: 6'7"
Wingspan: 6'11"
Standing Reach: 8'8.5"

Essentially the same weight, wingspan and standing reach. I'm going with Bogdanovic. Plus, that means Hield moves to the starting lineup as well.
JJ's height is wrong. He's 6'7 w/o shoes, and 6'8 w/ shoes.

The height you took was the other Justin Jackson from Maryland. I think a few websites have them switched up by accident. He's also 210lbs, not 200lbs.

Jackson or Bogie. Want to see the young guys get as much development as possible.

Both are anemic rebounders but Bagley and Giles should offset that.

I’m surprised and happy to see Justin in the lead on this poll. He was the starting SF to begin last season - his first season. Let’s give him another try with an off-season of work behind him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Looking at the free agents on the board, I think we should go after Kyle Anderson. He's not quick, and that's not necessarily a great fit with Fox, but along with great size he's a strong defender, good rebounder, very good passer - just a solid all-around basketball player who doesn't go out there needing shots. And still just 25. His 3 point shot needs a bit of work, but his career percentage is a few points better than Hezonja's, and there were a lot of folks around here that seemed to be OK with him, so...

We could, for stretches or due to injury (cross fingers), even play him as a point forward with Bogdan and Buddy. He's versatile, and while he's no Luka Doncic, you can't have too much passing.

I would not be opposed to putting out a pretty decent contract, betting on Anderson at say 4/$43M. I don't know if that's enough to snag him but in this free agent market where nobody has cash, maybe? That kind of money likely puts the Spurs into some serious luxury tax issues (I'm assuming they're going to bring back Parker at a reasonable salary and they won't be able to shed too much salary in any Kawhi deal) - you're looking at the possibility of a first $10M year of Anderson costing the Spurs maybe $25M+, so maybe they don't match. Can't hurt to try.

Shumpert, Let's see what he can do now, At least in pre season
Agreed.

Not sure what people saw in Jackson that makes them think he's the guy for now. I guess people like to ignore the vets or that Joerger is the coach.

Can only imagine the frustration they will have when Zbo & Shump get a lot of playing time.

Bogdan. I think it even benefits him athletically. But I want two of our better players starting, and they probably want it. A lot of our best statistical lineups were with them. Buddy isn’t a bench player. If it’s not working out then move to another plan.

I'm a firm believer in getting as much talent as possible on the court. Bogdan is the better playmaker and shooter when compared to JJ and deserves to be starting. He's small for the position but with so many teams just launching threes it's not really that big of an issue for me. Plus it brings Hield into the 2 spot and we will definitely need his shooting this season.

Looking at the free agents on the board, I think we should go after Kyle Anderson. He's not quick, and that's not necessarily a great fit with Fox, but along with great size he's a strong defender, good rebounder, very good passer - just a solid all-around basketball player who doesn't go out there needing shots. And still just 25. His 3 point shot needs a bit of work, but his career percentage is a few points better than Hezonja's, and there were a lot of folks around here that seemed to be OK with him, so...

We could, for stretches or due to injury (cross fingers), even play him as a point forward with Bogdan and Buddy. He's versatile, and while he's no Luka Doncic, you can't have too much passing.

I would not be opposed to putting out a pretty decent contract, betting on Anderson at say 4/$43M. I don't know if that's enough to snag him but in this free agent market where nobody has cash, maybe? That kind of money likely puts the Spurs into some serious luxury tax issues (I'm assuming they're going to bring back Parker at a reasonable salary and they won't be able to shed too much salary in any Kawhi deal) - you're looking at the possibility of a first $10M year of Anderson costing the Spurs maybe $25M+, so maybe they don't match. Can't hurt to try.
Welcome to Kyle Anderson island, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Literally the only concern I have with his game is the 3 ball and if he can hit at 34-35% on 3 attempts/game. Otherwise he directly addresses a large amount of our current team weaknesses and would I think would be a seamless USG fit with the current core.

Hopefully we take some flyers when the market has dried up. Guy like Treveon Graham could be worth a 2+1. Torrey Craig from Denver possibly.

Gabriel could be a possibility for a backup role if he shows ability in sl. From the guys we already have, maybe JJ with Bogdan playing a lot sf with backups (so hes not matched up against the opposing starting sf) and basically every time the matchups allows us to do that

Last edited:

That's a deal breaker as evident of current events.

JJ's height is wrong. He's 6'7 w/o shoes, and 6'8 w/ shoes.

The height you took was the other Justin Jackson from Maryland. I think a few websites have them switched up by accident. He's also 210lbs, not 200lbs.
You're right about the height. NBA.com has him being 6'7" w/o shoes and 6'8.25" w/ shoes. However, it says his weight is 200.8. Where are you seeing 210?

The added height doesn't help in terms of wingspan or standing reach. Bogdan is still almost identical in those areas, and assuming Jackson is in fact 200lbs, Bogdan is likely stronger than him at this point in their careers.

Last edited:
That's a deal breaker as evident of current events.
I still think entirely way too much is made of that. Fox runs what, like 3 times a game? Anderson isn't a super athletic wing but he's not ZBo either. Pretty much all these guys sans ZBo can run with Fox. Even Koufos keeps up.

Running with Fox is such a small percentage of the game, I don't know why anyone would want to build a roster around it.

Considering the Suns just payed 15$ mil for Arica for a year. I think the combo of Shumpert and JJ will be solid. Fresh shoulder for JJ could help shooting and Shumpert is a solid pro that I don’t see performing all that differently than an ‘Ariza’ would’ve this year. That being said I am also all for Kyle Anderson. Good defender, good passer, from the spurs organization, UCLA point guard, etc... even if his shot doesn’t improve much, there’s always room for a player with his skillset. He can fill the stat sheet with solid numbers on both ends, night in and night out.

Yes, Kings need another playmaker from the wing and Anderson, while not perfect, would add a lot to this team. Very creative passer too which will help Bags and Giles.

woah Anderson at 10mpy? I'm not a big fan at him at all. His 3pt shot needs a lot of work...he attempted a career high 0.8 3pa/game.

Welcome to Kyle Anderson island, we hope you enjoy your stay.

Literally the only concern I have with his game is the 3 ball and if he can hit at 34-35% on 3 attempts/game. Otherwise he directly addresses a large amount of our current team weaknesses and would I think would be a seamless USG fit with the current core.
But he doesn't shoot 3s at all. It's going to be a gigantic step for him just to take more 3s, let alone get in the 34% range. I don't get the infatuation with Anderson. He's got good size at SF, but lacks speed. He's not going to be able to run with Fox. Yeah we need a SF who can actually defend, but we also need a 3pt shooter due to the lack of shooting from Fox and the bigs. This would be our lineup rolling into next season:

Fox
Bogdan
Anderson
Bagley
WCS

....we only have 1 shooter in the lineup and that's Bogdan. Floor spacing is going to be a nightmare.

Do you guys really want this guy running up and down the floor with Fox?

https://streamable.com/ttikn

The instant fix is Bogdan at the 3 and Hield at the 2.

We need to make a decision shortly on if Hield will be starting for us long term of if he will continue to be our 6th man. We are young but growth needs to have a plan and structure.

If we are certain on our backcourt as is then there is no reason Shump cant start at the 3 and play that 3 & D role we have always wanted continuing to have Hield come off the bench.

All in all, either way im not too worried so long as we dont jerk around and do a mixture of all approaches. We need a clear plan, vision and structure and it all starts with assessing what is our long term backcourt.

I love Kyle Anderson, and would love to see us make a run at him. He plays winning basketball. Too many times people get wrapped up in the flash. He's that guy that quietly gets the job done.

His game reminds me a little of Iguodala. He obviously doesn't have the same athleticism, but his ball handling, passing, defense, IQ, etc. are very comparable. And both struggle with their shots a bit.

In regards to Anderson's shot, I want to bring up the following from the 2017-18 season:
- he shot 38.1% from three after the all star break
- he did shoot 38.1% on threes when the closest defender was 6+ feet away
- he shot 36% from three in catch & shoot situations
- he shot 37.5% from three when shooting between 20-24 feet (further away is a deep three)
- he shot 55.6% from the right corner three

In the 2016-2017 season, this is how those stats played out:
- he shot 37.5% from three after the all star break
- he did shoot 35.7% on threes when the closest defender was 6+ feet away
- he shot 35.9% from three in catch & shoot situations
- he shot 42.9% from three when shooting between 20-24 feet (further away is a deep three)
- he shot 50% from the right corner three

On top of all that, he has a...
- RAPM of 1.65
- RPM of 3.12
- On/Off of 2.30

He even had a positive On/Off last year when Leonard was playing for the Spurs.

I'm going Justin Jackson.

I think the Kings sees something in him that they think is a better option than anyone in the free agent market.

He has the size and the work ethic to eventually become a 3 and D small forward.

I think JJ has the best chance to develop into the full time small forward of the future for the Kings.

I like Bogdan either staring at shooting guard or being the super 6th man.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Bogdan and Buddy are this two best perimeter players by far. I like JJ and I think his size and energy off the bench is a good thing. If Buddy and Bogdan don't cut it together than at least you then know and you can make trades to get something they can use.