Who do you want with our #36 pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have another pretty good pick in the 2nd round. ;)

The Kings also own the #36 pick overall. :)

Who are some potential 2nd round picks that you would like to pick?

I have a few guys I hope the Kings get a shot at.

1) Aaron Holiday PG (UCLA) - may be gone by 2nd round
2) Keita Bates-Diop - SF Ohio State - potential 3 and D wing
3) Chimezie Metu - PF/C USC - solid big man production

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
We have another pretty good pick in the 2nd round. ;)

The Kings also own the #36 pick overall. :)

Who are some potential 2nd round picks that you would like to pick?

I have a few guys I hope the Kings get a shot at.

1) Aaron Holiday PG (UCLA) - may be gone by 2nd round
2) Keita Bates-Diop - SF Ohio State - potential 3 and D wing
3) Chimezie Metu - PF/C USC - solid big man production
Let me start by saying that Holiday and Keita Bates-Diop (one of my favorites) will both go in the first round. However I do have a list of players that I like that are borderline bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd round players. And they are:

Mo Wagner, 6'11" C/PF
Donte DiVincenzo, 6'5" Combo guard
Kevin Huerter, 6'7" SF/SG
Jevon Carter, 6'2" PG
Josh Okogie, 6'5" SG/SF
Kevin Hervey, 6'7" SF
Melvin Frazier, 6'6" SF/SG
Landry Shamet, 6'4" PG

It's possible that DiVincenzo will go back to Villanova if he doesn't get a promise in the 1st round, and he should. Of that group Huerter and Frazier are my favorites, with Okogie running very close to them. But all these guys are talented players that I think can play in the NBA. I like Wagner but feel he will need some time in the G-League to develop. But he's a talented dude. I'm not much of a fan of Metu by the way. Saw him play at least 10 times and never came away impressed. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go undrafted.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Let me start by saying that Holiday and Keita Bates-Diop (one of my favorites) will both go in the first round. However I do have a list of players that I like that are borderline bottom of the 1st/top of the 2nd round players. And they are:

Mo Wagner, 6'11" C/PF
Jevon Carter, 6'2" PG
Josh Okogie, 6'5" SG/SF
Kevin Hervey, 6'7" SF
Landry Shamet, 6'4" PG

It's possible that DiVincenzo will go back to Villanova if he doesn't get a promise in the 1st round, and he should. Of that group Huerter and Frazier are my favorites, with Okogie running very close to them. But all these guys are talented players that I think can play in the NBA. I like Wagner but feel he will need some time in the G-League to develop. But he's a talented dude. I'm not much of a fan of Metu by the way. Saw him play at least 10 times and never came away impressed. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go undrafted.
Baja -

Any thoughts on Brandon McCoy? It looks like his stock may be in the early second round range, but I thought he had good size and projected as a rebounder/defender. I actually thought he did a pretty decent job against Ayton in their matchup.

With that 2nd round pick, I'd be looking for someone who fits a team need and doesn't overlap with what the Kings already have.
1. SF (if it doesn't get answered with the #2 pick), most urgent need on this team is a long wing.
2. Stretch 4, need to make up for lack of shooting options on this team. NBA is space and pace
3. Backup PG, Frank Mason needs some competition at backup point because while I like his peskiness and effort, his inability to finish at the rim just isn't going to cut it.

SFs: Keita-Bates Diop, Rodions Kurucs(project), Isaac Bongda(project), Melvin Frazier(undersized), Jacob Evans(undersized), Justin Jackson

Stretch 4s: Moritz Wagner, Jontay Porter(heavier), Kevin Hervey

PG: Jalen Brunson, Ellie Okobo, Landry Shamet, Donte Divcenzo(SG/PG),

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Baja -

Any thoughts on Brandon McCoy? It looks like his stock may be in the early second round range, but I thought he had good size and projected as a rebounder/defender. I actually thought he did a pretty decent job against Ayton in their matchup.
I'd certainly have him on my list. I think it's possible that he'll go at the bottom of the first round, but hey, he has upside and size, so I hope the Kings bring him in for a workout. I agree on his match up with Ayton. I think Wilkes needs to go back to UCLA. He could go undrafted if he stays in. I don't see him getting drafted any higher than 50, if at all. Nice to see Holiday projected as high as he is.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
With that 2nd round pick, I'd be looking for someone who fits a team need and doesn't overlap with what the Kings already have.
1. SF (if it doesn't get answered with the #2 pick), most urgent need on this team is a long wing.
2. Stretch 4, need to make up for lack of shooting options on this team. NBA is space and pace
3. Backup PG, Frank Mason needs some competition at backup point because while I like his peskiness and effort, his inability to finish at the rim just isn't going to cut it.

SFs: Keita-Bates Diop, Rodions Kurucs(project), Isaac Bongda(project), Melvin Frazier(undersized), Jacob Evans(undersized), Justin Jackson

Stretch 4s: Moritz Wagner, Jontay Porter(heavier), Kevin Hervey

PG: Jalen Brunson, Ellie Okobo, Landry Shamet, Donte Divcenzo(SG/PG),
I guess there are several ways of looking at who you might take in the 2nd round. Some will say what you said. Go for a position of need and don't duplicate if possible. Others, will say go for the most upside you can find, and some will say take the best player available right now regardless of position. I worry less about duplication than anything. If we were to pass on a PG simply because we already have two, that would be a mistake if you think that player is the best player available.

My attitude is, let the best man win! If for instance we draft Shamet, and Mason can't beat him out of the job, then sorry, goodbye Frank! Because if Shamet proves to be a better player, then the team just got better. I'm all about competition. On the other hand, if you draft for potential, then you concede that he'll probably play most of his first year in the G-League, and hope that a year later, he'll be able to contribute to the parent club. I sort of put Wagner in that group. I think he has a lot of potential, but needs more experience at a higher level. Ditto Brandon McCoy. I think you look at them as long term investments that will pay dividends later.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think Wilkes needs to go back to UCLA. He could go undrafted if he stays in. I don't see him getting drafted any higher than 50, if at all. Nice to see Holiday projected as high as he is.
Wilkes, if he gets selected, is going to be selected on potential rather than what he has actually shown. I agree he should return. Hopefully he and Hands both will come back to school, both for their own draft sakes and for the Bruins' sake.

I guess there are several ways of looking at who you might take in the 2nd round. Some will say what you said. Go for a position of need and don't duplicate if possible. Others, will say go for the most upside you can find, and some will say take the best player available right now regardless of position. I worry less about duplication than anything. If we were to pass on a PG simply because we already have two, that would be a mistake if you think that player is the best player available.

My attitude is, let the best man win! If for instance we draft Shamet, and Mason can't beat him out of the job, then sorry, goodbye Frank! Because if Shamet proves to be a better player, then the team just got better. I'm all about competition. On the other hand, if you draft for potential, then you concede that he'll probably play most of his first year in the G-League, and hope that a year later, he'll be able to contribute to the parent club. I sort of put Wagner in that group. I think he has a lot of potential, but needs more experience at a higher level. Ditto Brandon McCoy. I think you look at them as long term investments that will pay dividends later.
In the second round especially I'm always on team "Get the top player on your board, regardless of position". The goal of the 2nd round is to find a rotational player and it has never made sense to me to limit your player pool based on "need".

In the second round especially I'm always on team "Get the top player on your board, regardless of position". The goal of the 2nd round is to find a rotational player and it has never made sense to me to limit your player pool based on "need".
But in the 2nd round, the disparity between talent level is little to none. In the 1st round, there's a bigger difference between DeAndre Ayton and Troy Brown than there is between Moritz Wagner and Shake Milton.

If you had SG Grayson Allen #25 on your board and SF Keita Bates Diop #32, you would easily negate the 7 spots for need no?

But in the 2nd round, the disparity between talent level is little to none. In the 1st round, there's a bigger difference between DeAndre Ayton and Troy Brown than there is between Moritz Wagner and Shake Milton.

If you had SG Grayson Allen #25 on your board and SF Keita Bates Diop #32, you would easily negate the 7 spots for need no?
No, I'm still taking Allen if he's #25 on my board. I'm not looking for anything in the 2nd round other than getting a hit on a potential rotational player. And if you're depending on your 2nd round pick to balance out your roster... you probably have bigger issues to worry about.

My main point is you should never be excluding players in the 2nd round based on your current team composition.

Mo Wagner, 6'11" C/PF
Jevon Carter, 6'2" PG
Josh Okogie, 6'5" SG/SF
Kevin Hervey, 6'7" SF
Landry Shamet, 6'4" PG

Hervey could be Harry Giles 2.0.

Kevin Hervey was the most intriguing player of the combine. At 6-foot-8 with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, the UT Arlington forward hit spot-up 3s, defended multiple positions, and hit a tough contested jumper off the dribble, which is something he did a lot of in college. Health is a concern—he’s torn both of his ACLs already—but his potential is tantalizing in the late first or early second round, areas where risks can be taken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...7374906/nba-draft-combine-rumblings-takeaways

Another player I like as a second round project would be Bonga.

Hervey could be Harry Giles 2.0.

Kevin Hervey was the most intriguing player of the combine. At 6-foot-8 with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, the UT Arlington forward hit spot-up 3s, defended multiple positions, and hit a tough contested jumper off the dribble, which is something he did a lot of in college. Health is a concern—he’s torn both of his ACLs already—but his potential is tantalizing in the late first or early second round, areas where risks can be taken.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...7374906/nba-draft-combine-rumblings-takeaways

Another player I like as a second round project would be Bonga.
A big difference between him and Giles is that his last torn ACL was in his Sophomore year, and he's now a SR. He has had 2 very productive years since then.
Jr year: 17.1pts 8.5rebs 2.1asts on 45.9/34.3/75.3
Sr year: 20.5pts 8.5rebs 2.2asts on similar shooting numbers.

Giles put up very very little college production in his lone freshman year, whereas Hervey has shown that he's fully recovered and even produced at a high level for 2 consecutive years now. I don't think his ACL are major major concerns the way it was for Giles.

Hervey can hit from outside, good size, and interviews well. Like Bonga he's an interesting prospect at SF.
Just not sure as the last I looked we already have a few interesting prospects there and who knows what the 2nd pick might bring.
I'm curious how Vlade and crew view some of the current roster going forward, including backup PG. From what I'm getting not everyone is high on Frank.

Hervey can hit from outside, good size, and interviews well. Like Bonga he's an interesting prospect at SF.
Just not sure as the last I looked we already have a few interesting prospects there and who knows what the 2nd pick might bring.
I'm curious how Vlade and crew view some of the current roster going forward, including backup PG. From what I'm getting not everyone is high on Frank.
I think Temple and Bogi will play a lot of time at point.

With the 33rd pick I'd say we should have some good options. Some second prospects have probably put themselves into first round consideration after the combine with some late first rounders likely to fall. So if we are lucky we'll end up landing a good player and there's an abundance of pickable guards projected in that range, as well as some 3 and D wing prospects, and even bigs.

Nbadraft.net has Bates-Diop going with the pick after ours. They're usually fairly accurate so fingers crossed he drops to us. Could be a good rotational stretch 4.

Jevon Carter - SR - PG - Improved every year, and can now hit shots at long distance.
Caleb Martin - JR - SF/SG - He's got good size for either SF or SG. He's a VERY good shooter, and was one of the reasons for the turnaround for UNR basketball. Reminds me of Kevin Martin.
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk - SR - SG/SF - YEs yes yes!!! If he's available. Another dead on shooter and has good size for SG/SF

That right there is my short list... I wouldn't touch a Sophomore or Freshman in the second round. Unless it was Carr, but I think he's going to go late first round or he would be on my very short list.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

Trust me on this one, Keita Bates-Diop will go in the middle of the first round somewhere. The only reason he's not going higher is because of his age.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Got a guess about where he goes in the draft roughly?
I think Allen helped himself at the combine by showing that he was more athletic than people thought. He's good, but erratic shooter. I suspect he'll go somewhere between 27 and 35. Personally, I lean more toward the 35, but he does come with a good pedigree, and is known for toughness. Some team may appreciate that more than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.