Which vets should the Kings keep around? Which ones will they keep?

Which vets should the Kings keep? Which vets will they keep?

• Total voters
My initial reaction -- Koufos and Temple were the most valuable vets in Kings wins by far. But Buddy's emergence down the stretch can't be discounted. Z-Bo, on the other hand, doesn't appear to have played a hand in costing the Kings any "lins." What do you all think? Any other ways to look at this question?
This is great and I hope this isn't a threadjack, but if the team improves by ~10 games into the 35-40 win bracket next season, I think I would like to keep Temple and Koufos around for a few more years.

Z-Bo I expect to see packaged mid-season for a draft pick.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the ones they should keep are Temple & Carter...the ones they will keep are Z-Bo, Temple & possibly Koufos unless they draft a big in June

Kosta & Temple & Shump all have player options. Up to them.

I don't think we should retain any who opt out, they'd likely want to sign for more than one season.

And i think that's the way we should do business, if you are not in long term plans, one & dones. Stay flexible, save space to chase the people you'd like to have long term.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'd like to see Temple and Koufos back, and to be honest, I'd like to see what Shumpert can do. As far as Z-Bo? Nah, thanks. Let him go back to Memphis to finish out his career. I will never forget watching Vince Carter, but I think he needs to go back to the Raptors.

I added a poll because ... why not?

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
My crystal ball is on the fritz so I only voted for the ones I would like to see us keep. I wish we had more room in the inn right now but barring a trade or cut that creates room after signing our first round pick the team only has room for one FA if ALL 3 of the vets exercise their options. This of course assumes that we extend WCS. So as much I would love to see Vince back in a Kings Jersey, I don't see room. Z Bo is just not a good fit and I would hope Vlade can move him this summer. I loved Shump a few years back but with the wear and tear I don't see him worth the spot and even though I doubt he will opt out I hope he does. Koufos has been solid and I want him back for sure. I also love what Gt brings to the team and his versitility so I want him back as well. That gives us a nice stack to chase a top FA and then either prospect the other slot or sign a good deal on a late vet to round out the roster of young guys.

Get rid of all of them, try get veterans for once entering the prime (or close to it)of their careers instead of guys on the decline. Vince Carter has been a absolute disaster this season with his on the court play.

Keep Kosta. He is not that old for a veteran center (29) and is a very good role player: good picks, gets rebounds, efficient scorer. If we end up drafting another big then someone will have to be traded though...

Keep one of Temple/Shumpert for defense on the perimeter if we don't get someone like Mikal Bridges. Temple is 31 compared to Shumpert soon to be 28, but we don't know yet what Shumpert can do now..

Don't keep Zbo and Vince.

I don't think they Kings have much say.

Carter's not coming back. Z-Bo is under contract.

Fiscally, it makes sense for all of the players to opt in. I'd guess that most if not all of them will opt in.

My crystal ball is on the fritz so I only voted for the ones I would like to see us keep. I wish we had more room in the inn right now but barring a trade or cut that creates room after signing our first round pick the team only has room for one FA if ALL 3 of the vets exercise their options. This of course assumes that we extend WCS. So as much I would love to see Vince back in a Kings Jersey, I don't see room. Z Bo is just not a good fit and I would hope Vlade can move him this summer. I loved Shump a few years back but with the wear and tear I don't see him worth the spot and even though I doubt he will opt out I hope he does. Koufos has been solid and I want him back for sure. I also love what Gt brings to the team and his versitility so I want him back as well. That gives us a nice stack to chase a top FA and then either prospect the other slot or sign a good deal on a late vet to round out the roster of young guys.
Do we have a roster spot to chase a FA if everyone opts in? I know it's a long way away, and we don't know who will opt in, if we will keep Nigel, trades/cuts, and so on. Based on my understanding of the current roster though, we'll not have Vince, and likely Bruno. That creates two spots that will go to our two picks. So, we can chase a FA only at the cost of Nigel (again, I know it's too early to bother about any of it).

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Do we have a roster spot to chase a FA if everyone opts in? I know it's a long way away, and we don't know who will opt in, if we will keep Nigel, trades/cuts, and so on. Based on my understanding of the current roster though, we'll not have Vince, and likely Bruno. That creates two spots that will go to our two picks. So, we can chase a FA only at the cost of Nigel (again, I know it's too early to bother about any of it).
Under Guaranteed Contract (9):
Randolph
Bogdanovic
Fox
Cauley-Stein
Hield
Jackson
Giles
Labissiere
Mason

Kings Team Option (1):
Hayes

Player Option (3):
Shumpert
Koufos
Temple

Anticipated Draft Picks (2):
Lotto slot #7

Potential Restricted Free Agent (1):
Caboclo

Two-way Contracts (2):
Cooley
Sampson

Anyway, here's the bottom line: If all three players with options exercise them, and we stick with one first-round draft pick, we have two roster slot available for our second-round pick, Nigel Hayes, Bruno Caboclo, and any other free agent we might want to sign. For those two slots we would have over $20M to spend depending on where our lotto pick ends up and what the final cap number is.

I have enjoyed having them all here. I just wish Z-Bo would have been used sparingly.
I think we keep KK and Temple, as long as they're affordable. And I think we don't have a choice but to keep Shump. With Bogi and Buddy, the last thing we need is another 2 guard (besides Temple), but Shump was a contributor on a championship team and is a defense-first player. He may have more to add than a 56 year old VC.
BTW, I'm ready to give Sampson the keys to the starting SF spot next year. His energy is contagious and the whole team seems to have a different attitude when he's playing. Justin just isn't ready to start on an NBA team where players have to earn their minutes. I haven't given up on him, but he's got a lot to prove next year.