Which potential top 6 pick fits us best?

Which top 6 prospect fits us best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Considering how many young pieces we have, several of which look to be starter level or better for the future, we don’t necessarily have so many positional needs, per se. And with a draft that potentially has roughly 5-6 franchise players/star level players, that definitely helps us out a bit.

So which prospect of the top 6 do you think would fit our team the best? Do you still take Ayton, with other prospects still available, and push WCS to the bench? Can Dončić and Fox play well together?

If you had your pick of the top 6 prospects, which would you say fits best with our current roster?

——

Personally, I see Michael Porter Jr. as the best fit. He could start at SF and we could have Jackson off the bench. He has the potential to be a go-to scorer, something we don’t necessarily have at the moment (I see Bogie as a #2/#3 scoring option on a good team). He would allow for Fox, Bogie, WCS and even Skal, if he develops, to still start.

It's definitely Porter Jr. He fits a positional need at SF. He's also demonstrated ability to create his own shots and be a potential #1 scorer.

Fox/Bogdan/Porter Jr/x/WCS

Porter has suspect handle to be a number 1 scorer that was before his surgery.

1. Doncic: playmaker/ scorer with high IQ that can play 1-4.

2. Ayton: post scorer with a shot

3. Porter: Scorer/shooter who could play the 3 and 4.

4. Bagley: Post scorer who can potentially spread the floor. Would be an elite rim runner and rebounder

5. Young: Lillard-McCollum like scorer with great vision would force himself or Fox to the 6th man though

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, if I can choose who I want, and knowing we probably need a SF more than any other position, I would take Doncic, who is more than capable of playing that position. Porter would be my next choice for similar reasons. If both are gone, then it gets tougher. If I could trade down and then grab Mikal Bridges, that might be an option. He may never be a star, but he'll likely be one of, if not the best defender on the team, and he can hit the three and rebound. If staying where I'am, then I'd likely grab Ayton. If he can self motivate, then he can be a monster. My only problem might be whether he fits the style of play the Kings want to play. And by the way, I don't think drafting him automatically moves Willie to the bench. I think you could play them together which would give you a very good defensive and mobile front line.

I'd lean towards Porter if Fox and WCS are pencilled in as starters at point guard and center next season. I still believe Buddy and Bogdanovic can develop into good players so they can rotate the shooting guard position, and in Skal and Giles we have potential at the power forward position. Porter projects well at the 3 or 4 and has star potential as a scorer, that is exactly what we need and we've shown with the Giles pick that we are willing to take a risk and wait for the right prospect.

With that said, I do like DeAndre Ayton. The guy has a ton of potential to be a top tier big. He's better than anything we've got at the center position to date. Ok we've got Willie but he's under contract for a reasonable rate the next two years, he'd be an excellent option for our second unit.

Obviously the fashionable pick for us is Doncic and I'd have nothing against him being our pick, but I'm not one hundred percent sure I want someone that projects 1-4 and no one is sure exactly what spot he will end up playing. There's no doubting the talent, but we had a 1-3 in Tyreke and could never figure it out so it makes me wonder if we could figure out how to best utilise Doncic.

They'd be my top three.

Where's Miles Bridges in your poll?! Miles Bridges is a BEAST! He's combo a young Blake Griffin and James Harden. I am not saying he is as good, but he is reminiscent of these players. He's the kind of player other players do NOT want to play against ! These other guys Porter Jr and Bagley are nice but are bean poles. Bean poles are in for a harsh awakening as NBA rookies.

I still like both of them and they happen to fit our #1 need which is a front court player who can create and face up and help spread the floor and give our guards space to make plays. Harry Giles might be this guy by the way but we could use another one regardless.

So much of the success jumping from college to pros or lack thereof is carving out your space on the floor on both ends. This is where a guy like Donovan Mitchell had the advantage with his juke moves speed and strength. This is what Bridges has! Bridges goes where he wants to on the floor. The only question I have on him is length to match up with bigger forwards.

Trae Young is a nice player but his game is going to swallowed up by superior athletes he is going to face. Shooting cures a lot of ills, and his shot is money. But I do not like his athleticism. He is going to have that much more precise in his offense to overcome his inferior athleticism. This is what Lonzo Bust had to face and we see how that has turned out.

Ayton fits a need as a dominant rebounder and more but thats a secondary need to a front court player with guard-like skills. This is actually why I have changed my mind on Doncic. The idea of Doncic playing full-time PG makes me cringe. Just no. But Doncic as a point forward is compelling. It would work. And Doncic is not going to fail in the NBA because his shot is too pretty.

Luka has one of the best outside shots I have ever seen in terms of mechanics and release. When you can shoot like he does you are blessed by the Basketball Gods. He also plays with a tempo and poise belying his age. He's Boggy with 3-4 inches of added height.

The draft is not hard because we either draft Ayton and party then trade Willie to fill our need on the wing. Or we take one of combo forwards to fill our #1 need at PF/SF. So the draft comes down to:
  • Bagley
  • Porter Jr
  • Ayton
  • Miles Bridges
  • Doncic
Unless we go on a silly win streak last 30 games, one of these guys will be the next King. I'd be happy with any of them though Porter Jr and Bagley may NOT be immediate contributors. Bridges can take the league by storm. Doncic can shoot and handle his way into any rotation though he has bad habits to get rid of like palming the ball. Ayton can average 16/10 as NBA rookie probably better.

Considering how many young pieces we have, several of which look to be starter level or better for the future, we don’t necessarily have so many positional needs, per se. And with a draft that potentially has roughly 5-6 franchise players/star level players, that definitely helps us out a bit.

So which prospect of the top 6 do you think would fit our team the best? Do you still take Ayton, with other prospects still available, and push WCS to the bench? Can Dončić and Fox play well together?

If you had your pick of the top 6 prospects, which would you say fits best with our current roster?

——

Personally, I see Michael Porter Jr. as the best fit. He could start at SF and we could have Jackson off the bench. He has the potential to be a go-to scorer, something we don’t necessarily have at the moment (I see Bogie as a #2/#3 scoring option on a good team). He would allow for Fox, Bogie, WCS and even Skal, if he develops, to still start.
I’m not sure how you can include Porter because so much depends on his medical reports and likelihood of repeat problems.

I agree if he is healthy he’s a good pick but his health is a major unknown. Jackson should be on the list also.

1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Bagley
4. Bamba
5. MPJ
6. Jaren Jackson
7. Miles Bridges

This is my top 7 for us right now. Trae just isn't on my board at all, I think if we were in position to draft him around 5 or 6, that we should trade down rather than cause an unnecessary problem between him and Fox.

I'm growing A LOT on Bamba as the season has gone on. Dude is just flat out dominant on the defensive end and he's starting to show a bit more offensive polish. His length is just honestly unreal and he's already solid at knowing how to use it for rim protection and rebounding the ball. He's incredible on the help and he can makes up for any mistakes with his incredible length. He won't ever have the offensive upside of any of the top 5 prospects, but I do think Rudy Gobert with a jumper is attainable for him. His physical tools/athleticism (I mean cmon.. 7'9 wingspan, 9'6 standing reach.... just absurd) and an already solid defensive and rebounding principles is just rare for ANY prospect that young. The defensive upside with him and WCS is a tantilizing prospect to say the least. Just absurd length/athleticism/switch ability.

My top 3 keep changing though, all 3 feel like franchise-changing talents and prospects to me that all could fit with our current core.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
1. Doncic
2. Ayton
3. Bagley
4. Bamba
5. MPJ
6. Jaren Jackson
7. Miles Bridges

This is my top 7 for us right now. Trae just isn't on my board at all, I think if we were in position to draft him around 5 or 6, that we should trade down rather than cause an unnecessary problem between him and Fox.

I'm growing A LOT on Bamba as the season has gone on. Dude is just flat out dominant on the defensive end and he's starting to show a bit more offensive polish. His length is just honestly unreal and he's already solid at knowing how to use it for rim protection and rebounding the ball. He's incredible on the help and he can makes up for any mistakes with his incredible length. He won't ever have the offensive upside of any of the top 5 prospects, but I do think Rudy Gobert with a jumper is attainable for him. His physical tools/athleticism (I mean cmon.. 7'9 wingspan, 9'6 standing reach.... just absurd) and an already solid defensive and rebounding principles is just rare for ANY prospect that young. The defensive upside with him and WCS is a tantilizing prospect to say the least. Just absurd length/athleticism/switch ability.

My top 3 keep changing though, all 3 feel like franchise-changing talents and prospects to me that all could fit with our current core.
This looks like a pretty good list to me. Doncic and Ayton look like franchise level talents. Bagley and Bamba may be a tier below that but I feel very confident in their skillsets translating to the next level. Porter, Jackson, and Bridges all come with some question marks but I like the fit and the talent just not as much as the top 4. Trae Young isn't really on my radar either at this point. He would be somewhere on the list if we hadn't already drafted De'Aaron Fox last year. Same goes for Colin Sexton.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I picked Ayton because I think he's the most "can't miss" big this draft, but I'm kinda a dinosaur and still think 20/10 bigs are crucial and want one on our roster to fill the Cuz void.

Luka would be great as well though. Kid is gonna be a star at the 3.

I'd be happy with everyone but Young, honestly. Fox is going to be dope, we don't need another PG with so many other high upside guys on the table.

This draft is loaded. Keep the lins coming!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I picked Ayton because I think he's the most "can't miss" big this draft, but I'm kinda a dinosaur and still think 20/10 bigs are crucial and want one on our roster to fill the Cuz void.

Luka would be great as well though. Kid is gonna be a star at the 3.

I'd be happy with everyone but Young, honestly. Fox is going to be dope, we don't need another PG with so many other high upside guys on the table.

This draft is loaded. Keep the lins coming!
Yep, considering our guard depth chart is already two deep with good young talent at both spots (Bogs/Buddy and Fox/Mason), I'd be hard pressed to take another guard in the draft, especially when defense has been a huge problem for this team and Young is, well, not exactly Gary Payton on that end of the floor.

While it's sorta the same thing at the big man slot, you can at least justify things with the fact that Ayton and Bagley are both athletic marvels and have absolutely insane potential and Bamba could help on the defensive end where Willie is currently stuck covering for our young guards and Z-Bo.

Of course, if we wind up with the first overall pick, plugging up that SF hole with Doncic is as much a given as anything in the draft can be. Not going to be too sad if we end up with one of Doncic/Ayton/Bagley/Porter though.

I love Doncic's all around game but he's not the type to really build a franchise on.

I'd go Porter. He's that 3-4 that we're looking for.

Yeh he didnt play all year and there's a mystery about him, but you can't pass up on that.

He could be KD/Lamar Odom or worst case Donte Greens

The big question for me is Doncic on the defensive side and if he can be average. If he can move his feet enough to be decent then i think he is the pick. Offensively i thjnk he has the least question marks. Insane natural talent on that end. BUT i dont think we can win with a defensive stiff at the wing. Id rather have Bamba or Jackson over Ayton honestly. What ever team picks Ayton is going to be forced to run their offense through him and i dont think that is a winning formula anymore. Ball movement and 3 pt shooting have shown to be more competitive than ground and pound ball. The value of the big man is more in ability to rebound, get 2nd chance points, lob threat or kickout threat, and be a defsive menace/anchor. if i was to bet id wager Aytons teams will struggle to ever get out of the 1st round if he is the #1

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The big question for me is Doncic on the defensive side and if he can be average. If he can move his feet enough to be decent then i think he is the pick. Offensively i thjnk he has the least question marks. Insane natural talent on that end. BUT i dont think we can win with a defensive stiff at the wing. Id rather have Bamba or Jackson over Ayton honestly. What ever team picks Ayton is going to be forced to run their offense through him and i dont think that is a winning formula anymore. Ball movement and 3 pt shooting have shown to be more competitive than ground and pound ball. The value of the big man is more in ability to rebound, get 2nd chance points, lob threat or kickout threat, and be a defsive menace/anchor. if i was to bet id wager Aytons teams will struggle to ever get out of the 1st round if he is the #1
Well, I think if the big man your talking about is the prototypical big man from yesteryear, then I agree with you. But a big man like Anthony Davis, or even the more recent version of Cousins, can help make his team a winner. So the question with Ayton is, can he eventually be a player like Davis, or even Cousins. If so, and he brings an unselfish attitude, then I think he could be a core player on our team. It's certainly about the skill level, but it's also about being willing to share the ball. Of course if your not a good passer, its harder to share the ball. Which brings us back to skill level.

As far as Doncic goes and his defensive ability; We won't know until he steps on an NBA floor. But I've seen him play quite a bit this year, and I think he's a much better athlete than some are giving him credit for. I'm not saying that he'll be a lock down defender, but he certainly puts out the effort, and in my opinion, isn't a liability at his current level. What has surprised me about him, is that he as a bit of a nasty streak in him. You look at that baby face, and it fools you. He's tougher than you might think. Some players are good, and don't know it. Doncic is good, and he knows it. Sometimes that's what decides whether a player is a star or not. Those players confidence level is usually off the charts.

Watch the video underneath starting at 0:22. I dont know, his feet seem good enough to stay attached to Russell Westbrook through a screen and forcing him into a fade away jumper in an iso..:rolleyes:

Well he played against Spain, Croatia, and Bogdan too. He’s well known just not to the haters
It cracks me up. Same people handwave Porter’s injury, and BTW, do we know if Porter can play defense at SF either? Guys like Wiggins and Gay were supposed to be such uber athletes that they would become good defenders....

It cracks me up. Same people handwave Porter’s injury, and BTW, do we know if Porter can play defense at SF either? Guys like Wiggins and Gay were supposed to be such uber athletes that they would become good defenders....
Porter has suspect handle as well as athleticism his hips are too tight he’s not the athlete he’s billed too be.

Jaren Jackson has moved to the top of my big board. His ability to play both sides of the floor just checks so many boxes for us.
He’s moved into the top 5 in most places he’s elites

This is a good point in regards to wiggins and Gay. Often when looking at the defensive end of the floor athletisicm is the "end all be all" but just how Andre Miller "knew" how to always get in the lane even as the slowest player on the court, knowing "how" to play defense such as when to get up on a player, when to help, how to anticipate a pass/shot/drive is probably more important that having great shinny tools ala Wiggins. Doncic on tape from what I can see looks like he knows what he is doing on defense like Bogdan and so while not the most athletic player on the court, is still able to get the job done with their "IQ" making them plus players on both ends of the court