Where Do We Go From Here?

Trades We Should Make at the Deadline:
Trade #1

WAS Gets:
Darren Collison & Ben McLemore
SAC Gets: Andrew Nicholson, Daniel House, & WAS 2017 1st (lottery protected)
Why? Washington gets better bench pieces to help their playoff push this year. Sacramento trades a couple of expirings for a late 1st round pick.

Trade #2
IND Gets:
Arron Afflalo
SAC Gets: Monta Ellis & IND 2018 1st (lottery protected)
Why? Indiana frees up cap space for the next offseason. Sacramento takes on a multi year deal for a future 1st round pick.

Team to Finish Out the 2016-17 Season:
PG - Lawson / Galloway
SG - Hield / Ellis / Richardson
SF - Temple / Evans / Gay
PF - Tolliver / Nicholson / Labissiere / House
C - Koufos / Cauley-Stein / Papagiannis

Trades We Should Make in the Offseason:
Trade #3
LAL Gets: Kosta Koufos & Rudy Gay (if he opts in otherwise just Koufos)
SAC Gets: Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, LAL 2018 Pick Swap, LAL 2020 Pick Swap, & LAL 2021 1st (unprotected)
Why? Los Angeles gets out of some long term, bad contracts to give them another shot in free agency to surround their young core with solid pieces (also get Koufos on an affordable deal). Sacramento takes on long term salary for some future pick swaps and a pick.

Trade #4
HOU Gets: 2nd Round Pick (Top 55 Protected)
SAC Gets: Corey Brewer & HOU 2017 1st (lottery protected)
Why? Houston gets extra cap space which gives them the ability to bring another big time FA aboard. Sacramento takes on salary for a 1st round pick.

If we waive Tolliver, waive House, buyout Brewer, & Galloway opts out, we'd have 10 roster spots taken. Bogdanovic would make 11. Then we'd have four 1st round picks & two 2nd round picks in 2017 . We'd have to make some deals to get it down to 15, but it should be doable.

Team to Start the 2017-18 Season:
PG - Ellis
SG - Temple / Hield / Richardson
SF - Deng / Bogdanovic
PF - Nicholson / Labissiere
C - Mozgov / Cauley-Stein / Papagiannis
*2017: SAC 1st Round Pick
*2017: NOP 1st Round Pick (Top 3 Protected)
*2017: WAS 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
*2017: HOU 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
*2017: SAC 2nd Round Pick
*2017: PHI 2nd Round Pick

Future Picks:
2018: SAC 1st Round Pick (Option to Swap w/ LAL)
2018: IND 1st Round Pick (Lottery Protected)
2018: SAC 2nd Round Pick (Option to Swap w/ POR)
2019: SAC 2nd Round Pick (Less Favorable w/ MIL)
2020: SAC 1st Round Pick (Option to Swap w/ LAL)
2020: SAC 2nd Round Pick
2020: DET 2nd Round Pick (Unprotected)
2021: SAC 1st Round Pick
2021: LAL 1st Round Pick (Unprotected)
2021: SAC 2nd Round Pick

Last edited:
Trade #1

WAS Gets:
Why? Washington gets better bench pieces to help their playoff push this year. Sacramento trades a couple of expirings for a late 1st round pick.

Trade #2
IND Gets:
Arron Afflalo
Why? Indiana frees up cap space for the next offseason. Sacramento takes on a multi year deal for a future 1st round pick.

PG - Lawson / Galloway

Trade #3
SAC Gets: Timofey Mozgov, Luol Deng, LAL 2018 Pick Swap, LAL 2020 Pick Swap, & LAL 2021 1st (unprotected)
Why? Los Angeles gets out of some long term, bad contracts to give them another shot in free agency to surround their young core with solid pieces (also get Koufos on an affordable deal). Sacramento takes on long term salary for some future pick swaps and a pick.

Trade #4
Why? Houston gets extra cap space which gives them the ability to bring another big time FA aboard. Sacramento takes on salary for a 1st round pick.

If we waive Tolliver, waive House, buyout Brewer, & Galloway opts out, we'd have 10 roster spots taken. Bogdanovic would make 11. Then we'd have four 1st round picks & two 2nd round picks in 2017 . We'd have to make some deals to get it down to 15, but it should be doable.

PG - Ellis
SF - Deng / Bogdanovic

Future Picks:
Never trade with the Lakers and I don't care for Monta. I'd rather have Ty Lawson, Tyreke and a Rookie. otherwise I am with you

Never trade with the Lakers and I don't care for Monta. I'd rather have Ty Lawson, Tyreke and a Rookie. otherwise I am with you
Monta is not part of the core going forward. We're getting incentivized to take on Monta's contract. You might as well view him as a temporary, non-essential player.

And if he happens to revitalize himself here, we could move him for value elsewhere. Same with Deng. Same with Mozgov.

I don't think we have to know. His is bent figured out for us. The fun for me is following the development of the answers to your question. Not a very good answer? Best I can do.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
adding more draft picks never hurt, despite all the incompetence, maybe they luck into another star player based on sheer luck alone? who knows...give yourself options

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
adding more draft picks never hurt, despite all the incompetence, maybe they luck into another star player based on sheer luck alone? who knows...give yourself options
At this point, scattershot buying lotto tickets and hoping one turns into the next Lebron is a better plan than most. :(

Depending on where our 1st round pick ends up in this draft, I might consider trying to trade it for our 2019 unprotected pick back.

Philadelphia might prefer to cash in on a top 10 pick this year rather than wait until 2019. If they made that trade & the Laker pick conveys this year, they could have three top 10 picks in this draft, Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Okafor, Noel, Stauskas, & Luwawu. D. Smith/Monk/Tatum/Simmons/Embiid could be one hell of a starting lineup.

Meanwhile we'd have our freedom back to tank in the upcoming years and try to land a high pick that will net us a star talent.

Trade #1

WAS Gets:

Trade #2
IND Gets:
Arron Afflalo

PG - Lawson / Galloway

Trade #3

Trade #4

PG - Ellis
SF - Deng / Bogdanovic

Future Picks:
I know, FO morons think Kings will be better pretty soon with Buddy Klay Hield going from strength to strength, but those swaps with Lakers are useless, so gl with Mozgov.
And with Vlade's reputation around the league everybody will look to exploit his incompetence and hold out to give up worse assets.

I know, FO morons think Kings will be better pretty soon with Buddy Klay Hield going from strength to strength, but those swaps with Lakers are useless, so gl with Mozgov.
And with Vlade's reputation around the league everybody will look to exploit his incompetence and hold out to give up worse assets.
People thought the Philly swaps were worthless at the time too but here we are... There's also the fact that we'd be getting an unprotected 1st from them.

Vlade couldn't get one for Cousins, no way he gets one for Kosta. :rolleyes:
We're also not getting horrible contracts back so there's that to consider...

And if Vlade's recent incompetence is going to be the argument now, why should anyone bother posting? I can come up with a fair trade and instead of people having an intelligent conversation, they make a comment like "It's Vlade, so it's never happening." If this is people's mindset, they should stop visiting this site and posting because there is obviously no hope in that scenario. I'd recommend watching another team or another sport altogether. If they think the team has no hope of becoming good one day, who in their right mind would invest time in that particular team?

Last edited:
K

KingMilz

Would be nice if we could snag a young talented SF e.g Justin Anderson, Obrue , Stanley Johnson if we could help bolster the Wizards/Pistons bench and send them Richardson maybe they would bite?

We're also not getting horrible contracts back so there's that to consider...

And if Vlade's recent incompetence is going to be the argument now, why should anyone bother posting? I can come up with a fair trade and instead of people having an intelligent conversation, they make a comment like "It's Vlade, so it's never happening." If this is people's mindset, they should stop visiting this site and posting because there is obviously no hope in that scenario. I'd recommend watching another team or another sport altogether. If they think the team has no hope of becoming good one day, who in their right mind would invest time in that particular team?
So you consider deals of Mozgov and Deng "not horrible"?
I'm sorry, if you think, that I diminished this FO capabilities, but this is not about that, even if I value their acumen very lowly: good teams think about any contingency. That's why Hinkie asks for swaps, that's why Pels ask for top-3 protection, that's why Petrie got top-10 protection on that pick he gave up for Hickson. You bargain for every little detail. Now, of course, in this scenario Vlade gets to deal with the only guy with even less experience than he has, so it might be possible, but good teams protect themselves from possible circumstances.

Absolutely the right idea with using our cap when we suck to stock up on assets. Although I don't think you're getting enough out of the Lakers for taking on 30 mil in salary the next 3 years.

Well we suck for quite a bit longer now and since we've traded away and risked some draft picks in upcoming drafts it may take even longer to turn things around. But if one or two of the rookies can amount to something above average we could turn into a solid team in a few years. We'll have a couple draft picks this year in what is supposed to be a good draft so maybe we'll add another SG because "shooting" and we like that. With all the cap space available this summer there will be room for some top tier talent but what top-teir SG will want to come to the Kings?

So next season we could have somewhere between 26 and 63Million in cap space. This will be to spend on all those free agents who will be clamoring to come here

Now I am guess we will trade Afflalo for something in the off season. I would guess that we keep Tolliver. I think Galloway will exercise his P/O, I think Rudy will opt out. The question is if Ben is tendered a Q/O. (I'll include it, just because)

Of course we also have pick cap holds. So lets say we end up with picks 8 and 12, so that is 2.9MM and 2.3MM respectivley (they will get 120% of that scale). There. I am assuming they won't stretch Barnes and eat it all next season because we probably will struggle reaching the floor unless something crazy happens.

So if all that about holds true we would look something like this next season:

So we would have 14 players on the roster in this case. ZERO point guards. This assumes we somehow do not get someone back in dumping Afflalo. I left Lawson and DC on there because it's my assumption they will look to bring one or both of them back. So we have 30 Million to spend on one slot.

Now, here is the other concerning part of this. Lets say Willie, Malachi, Buddy etc. all become really good players. These guys all enter RFA around the same time. Willie in 2019 and the 4 rookies in 2020. We could be looking at locking up a lot of funds on some mediocre at best talent. Phili just dumped Noel for a backup SF and two 2nd round picks because they were never matching in RFA.

Now here is the 2017 FA list

http://hoopshype.com/2017/01/25/nba-free-agency-2017-the-top-players/

So many of these names aren't even possible. So the first on that list, who will get a max (undeservedly) that we could maybe squint at have a chance with is Gordon Hayward. After that it gets slim, maybe KCP but I've heard he will get a max and Detroit might match.

I hope they sit out 2017 FA market, maybe sign another ST deal and be asset buyers like Phili was and try and get a 2109 pick back in exchange.

2018 we could have a top 5 pick with this roster.

I see no path to landing a big time FA in the near future. The earliest we could see the playoffs would be 2020/21 unless one of our 7 3rd year players or less linked big time.