When All Is Said And Done... The Kings Will Indeed Get A New Arena...

The Kings Will Indeed Get A New Arena... When All Is Said And Done...

let me explain...

Everything that is going on right now comes down to simple economics. Since there are no SERIOUS threats of the kings leaving, the city can low ball the Maloofs hoping the Maloofs will pay for most of the arena. Once the Maloofs get serious about the Kings leaving, the city will indeed step in and pay for a majority of the arena (or how ever much the city has to pay to keep the Kings). The Kings provide a large portion of the cities taxes and the Sacramento would have to be stupid to let the Kings go.

By the time all is said and done, the Kings will remain in Sacramento which will leave the city and the Maloofs will be in another heated battle in 12-15 years when another new arena must be built.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
BALLER4LIFE said:
Everything that is going on right now comes down to simple economics. Since there are no SERIOUS threats of the kings leaving, the city can low ball the Maloofs hoping the Maloofs will pay for most of the arena. Once the Maloofs get serious about the Kings leaving, the city will indeed step in and pay for a majority of the arena (or how ever much the city has to pay to keep the Kings). The Kings provide a large portion of the cities taxes and the Sacramento would have to be stupid to let the Kings go.
Problem is, this city has a history of not being able to step up to the plate and doing anything productive in this situation. The city didn't lift a finger to bring the Kings here, Lukenbill had a dream and pursued it. The city is more like an unwilling partner holding it's nose than an entity willing to put forth serious effort to keep the best thing that has ever happened to this city in the sporting realm.

They can wait all they want, but business has it's own speed. They wait too long to appear willing to contribute, *poof*, there go the Kings. You are entirely too optomistic, IMHO, about the seriousness of the situation and the chances of them leaving if the City doesn't get off their a**es right now and work on keeping them here.

By the time the Kings get serious about the Kings leaving, it will be too late.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I strongly suspect we're going to see more "items" in out-of-town publications first, much like the ones we've seen in the past month or so... And, at some point in the not-too-distant future, I fully expect the Maloofs to come out and tell it like it is. No holds barred, just the facts.

If they cannot get an arena deal here, they will go where they can.

Period. End of sentence. Let the fireworks start...

If another town will come up with $300,000,000. for a basketball arena, the Maloofs will go. No business person can ignore $300M. To me, it just seems obvious. That would be $300 for every man, woman, and child in Sacramento County!

The longer they wait the more they are going to pay a King's ransom (sorry couldn't help it) to keep them in town. I scratch my head at the thought this wasn't done years ago. When it gets to the point that other (presumably larger) cities are willing to give the Maloofs their own free new and shiny arena if they bring the Kings it won't be pretty.

I think that the Mayor and Sacramento City Council have over-estimated their position with Maloof Sports. I suspect that they really believe that the Kings franchise will not move because of all the sell-outs at ARCO. Three-hundred million dollars talks, egos walk. Thier miscalculation and lack of appreciation for the Kings will probably cost us the area's only professional sports team. I don't count triple-A baseball or indoor soccer. The River Cats are pretty cool, but baseball just doesn't do it for me.

BMiller52 said:
I'd still like to know what people can do to keep the kings in sacramento.
At this point in time, it's a little to late.. The ball is in the cities court and its up to them to make the decisions. The only difference we as citizens can make is determining who gets voted into office...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BALLER4LIFE said:
At this point in time, it's a little to late.. The ball is in the cities court and its up to them to make the decisions. The only difference we as citizens can make is determining who gets voted into office...
Not entirely true. The ball doesn't have to be in the city's court. If a group of investors OR a county group, for example, was to start serious discussions with the Maloofs, the city of Sacramento could be left high and dry, which would thrill me to no end.

IMHO, our main problem at this point in time is that the Maloofs are still trying to be gentlemen about this whole thing, even though the City Council has treated them abysmally. I fully expect that to change, as I've mentioned before, in the not-too-distant future.

If you'll check some of the other threads, you'll see references to what Houston and San Antonio did to get new arenas in their towns. Almost all the activity started after the gauntlet was thrown, so to speak...

VF21 said:
Not entirely true. The ball doesn't have to be in the city's court. If a group of investors OR a county group, for example, was to start serious discussions with the Maloofs, the city of Sacramento could be left high and dry, which would thrill me to no end.

IMHO, our main problem at this point in time is that the Maloofs are still trying to be gentlemen about this whole thing, even though the City Council has treated them abysmally. I fully expect that to change, as I've mentioned before, in the not-too-distant future.

If you'll check some of the other threads, you'll see references to what Houston and San Antonio did to get new arenas in their towns. Almost all the activity started after the gauntlet was thrown, so to speak...
thats true.. but i still feel in the end the city of sacramento will pay the needed money to keep the team in town. could you imagine how many people would go irate if the team were to leave the town!!

I feel with the kings playing the way they are, (minus the last 4 games :rolleyes: ) have a much greater chance of having the city step in!

BALLER4LIFE said:
The only problem with this theory is that probably the majority of Kings fans in the region are from outside city boundaries. Sacramento is very weird in that it has never done much to annex hugely populated county areas into the city.

I lived in "Sacramento" for years (recently moved slightly north to Yuba City), but was almost always outside the incorporated area. That is part of what drives me bonkers. I will get no say in what the city does, because I can't vote there. It really needs to be a multi-jurisdictional deal, but this region is pretty notorious for not cooperating on anything.

BALLER4LIFE said:
thats true.. but i still feel in the end the city of sacramento will pay the needed money to keep the team in town. could you imagine how many people would go irate if the team were to leave the town!!
While I think you're probably right, its also a matter of cost. The Sac City peeps somehow seem to think the longer they wait the better deal will be for the city but history shows that is pretty much never the case. At some point their job security will be an issue too, I know nobody really votes in city and county elections but should a major part of the city's identity walk away people just might start paying more attention.

kennadog said:
The only problem with this theory is that probably the majority of Kings fans in the region are from outside city boundaries. Sacramento is very weird in that it has never done much to annex hugely populated county areas into the city.

I lived in "Sacramento" for years (recently moved slightly north to Yuba City), but was almost always outside the incorporated area. That is part of what drives me bonkers. I will get no say in what the city does, because I can't vote there. It really needs to be a multi-jurisdictional deal, but this region is pretty notorious for not cooperating on anything.
My grandpa lived off of 47th ave near hwy 99 and he lived in the county. They have a vote every few years and each time they've turned down being incorperated. They liked it the way it is. Maybe its the same in other areas?! It is here where I live.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
I agree with VF. During the playoffs or soon after the Maloofs can concentrate on the arena situation. There are a number of other viable locations and all have significant corporate headquarters to fill up the luxury suites, Anaheim chief amongst them.

The only really big plus for the Kings staying is the fan base. But with little or no corporate base they loose the luxury suite income which is critically important to making money. And with ticket prices rising, the hard core fan base is getting pushed to the brink of what they can and will afford.

The other main plus is the Maloofs themselves. They have become intwined in the community at many levels and support the Kings. But hey folks, this IS a business. And a business has to make a profit or make big changes.

The negatives on the arena side are, I'm afraid, much larger than the positives. No real city support, divided loyalities amoung the counties, one of the oldest arenas in the NBA and with the least profitable luxury suites, almost no corporate base to support the suites, an inconvenient arena location, and rising ticket prices for a middle-class fan base.