What would the kings offer for the #1 pick?(if aldridge comes out)

Okay I was reading a topic and somebody mentioned how the Reef situation is similar to the Jamison situation when he was in Dallas. Well they basically ended up trading Jamison for the #5 pick in the draft(Devin Harris, who looks like a good player). I'd really like to get Aldridge, but we won't get the #1 pick. So anyways, what would you offer for the #1 pick?

We can't get a no 1 pick without giving up signifcant amounts of guys- if someone bit on SAR + our pick I might do it, but still, I don't know. Maybe we could get a top 5 for SAR, if a team thinks it's better to get a proven player relatively cheap plus a lower pick than dropping big money on a high pick. Still, I don't know if it's worth it- we've got a good thing going and shouldn't try stirring things around. Let's at least wait until after the season is over to evaluate things like this.

Well, I think Aldridge is the real deal. From what I've seen he can board, block shots, etc. He just has a real nice game and a lot of athleticism. I'd love to see him on the Kings because I think he'd be a real good fit here. I hope that NYK pick gets #1 though, maybe we could give them our pick+SAR+something else(if they want) for it? They've got Chandler at C and need a PF. SAR would be a good scorer for them IMO. We need a PF/C like Aldridge(who is a good defensive player with a lot of athleticism). Maybe that would work out?

I don't know, I just think he'd be a nice fit here.

BMiller52 said:
Well, I think Aldridge is the real deal. From what I've seen he can board, block shots, etc. He just has a real nice game and a lot of athleticism. I'd love to see him on the Kings because I think he'd be a real good fit here. I hope that NYK pick gets #1 though, maybe we could give them our pick+SAR+something else(if they want) for it? They've got Chandler at C and need a PF. SAR would be a good scorer for them IMO. We need a PF/C like Aldridge(who is a good defensive player with a lot of athleticism). Maybe that would work out?

I don't know, I just think he'd be a nice fit here.
You mean Frye? last time a checked Chandler was still a bull. NY would have to be crazy to take SAR. Maybe Bonzi. Isaiah's probably still looking for some more SGs.

NY gave Chicago their pick for the next two seasons in the Eddy Curry deal... So if the NYK pick became #1, it'd be Chicago's(NYK didn't add any lottery protection). Maybe they'd do SAR+stuff for it?

Kings113 said:
I like Shelden a lot. He'll probably go in the 8-13 area.
Problem with Shelden, many guys scored at will against him. Of course he's important for Duke on offense too so he's probably not too agressive defending one-on-one but this is not a good sign.

Gilles said:
Problem with Shelden, many guys scored at will against him. Of course he's important for Duke on offense too so he's probably not too agressive defending one-on-one but this is not a good sign.
Do you know why people score on him b/c unlike every other team in America he get's help from his teammates on D. Duke is so focused on defending the perimeter that the leave Sheldon on an Island to take on all comers. I hate Duke, but Sheldon is 1 hell of a player.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Think Aldridge has the most upside, so he's the guy you want.

But while I myself have made the Reef/Jamison comparison, I'm not sure Reef has that kind of trade value. And its not really about ability. Its just that this summer Reef was out there, and teams weren't exactly falling all over themselves to get him. He's working on a midrange contract. He's better than the contract, but I think it says something about his perceived value.

For whatever reason, Jamison was still getting tagged with "young star" at the time he was traded (and it might have just been the age thing). But of the teams picking early, would anybody down there actually give up Aldridge to get Reef? Doubtful. Now our pick & Reef? Maybe. But we are also fighting Reef's own history a bit. Several of the teams with a chance to be picking in that region wouldn't be interested (Atlanta/Portland). The Magic are set up front now. Charlotte has thus far stayed young. Although...maybe. Toronto obviously has 2 PFs already and with a new GM may not be quite as stupid. If there was going to be a target city/team to trade wiht to get a top pick I think it would have to be right here: the Knicks. Just the sort of move they are prone to making.

bigbadred00 said:
Do you know why people score on him b/c unlike every other team in America he get's help from his teammates on D. Duke is so focused on defending the perimeter that the leave Sheldon on an Island to take on all comers. I hate Duke, but Sheldon is 1 hell of a player.
Killingsworth lit him up with one-on-one moves. Williams should defend such earth-bound players. Eric Williams and Craig Smith also didn't have much trouble scoring when Shelden guarded them. He's not good one-on-one when he doesn't have clear strength advantage over his opponent. Will he have clear strength advantage in NBA?

And who exactly is a better post defender in college? I know Sheldon is flawed, I've heard the same rap about him from nbrans. Who is better? Aldridge will be impossible to get, since he's not leaving. Who is better to shore up 1 of our holes. Honestly since Boone and Armstrong don't play O, they would never get any minutes b/c that's how Adelman rolls (Skinner). I don't see a better fit.

There are others who might be worth trading up for that are just starting to come onto the radar, such as McRoberts and Joakim Noah, who is starting to dominate for Florida. Given how strong next year's draft is going to be, I would think these guys would come out now so they're in the lottery. And there's no way Aldridge gives up being a top three pick to stay in school, his stock can only go down.

If it means getting Aldridge, McRoberts or Noah I'd be for trading Garcia plus the Kings' pick to move up, especially if the Kings are planning on re-signing Bonzi.

What you forget about Sheldon (as a UNC fan I hate saying this) is the guy plays on an island. Yes 1 on 1 he get's destroyed by some players, that happens to all players even really good ones. Do you remember how Shaq man handled Ben Wallace in the finals b/c they were always going at it 1 on 1, although Detroit pulled out the victory? If you don't get help of course your going to get destroyed sometimes. Ben Wallace is still one of the best defenders in the league, no?

If we brought in Sheldon, I don't think we'd leave the guy out an island. We'd give him some help. He has size, he has blocking and he can score something all but Aldridge can do. I don't even see him starting but sharing minutes his first year with our crew of bigs.

I haven't watched much of Texas, but I'm assuming Aldridge get's more help. I know UCONN has a lot of help. Sheldon might be flawed, I think all college players are flawed and most pros are flawed but we could really use some of his ability.

nbrans said:
There are others who might be worth trading up for that are just starting to come onto the radar, such as McRoberts and Joakim Noah, who is starting to dominate for Florida. Given how strong next year's draft is going to be, I would think these guys would come out now so they're in the lottery. And there's no way Aldridge gives up being a top three pick to stay in school, his stock can only go down.

If it means getting Aldridge, McRoberts or Noah I'd be for trading Garcia plus the Kings' pick to move up, especially if the Kings are planning on re-signing Bonzi.
Don't know if Noah would be the best answer for the future big hole that we have (unless he can get bigger), and I'd be very surprised if McRoberts comes out. Right now, Noah isn't slated to enter the draft.

Last edited:
bigbadred00 said:
What you forget about Sheldon (as a UNC fan I hate saying this) is the guy plays on an island. Yes 1 on 1 he get's destroyed by some players, that happens to all players even really good ones. Do you remember how Shaq man handled Ben Wallace in the finals b/c they were always going at it 1 on 1, although Detroit pulled out the victory? If you don't get help of course your going to get destroyed sometimes. Ben Wallace is still one of the best defenders in the league, no?

If we brought in Sheldon, I don't think we'd leave the guy out an island. We'd give him some help. He has size, he has blocking and he can score something all but Aldridge can do. I don't even see him starting but sharing minutes his first year with our crew of bigs.

I haven't watched much of Texas, but I'm assuming Aldridge get's more help. I know UCONN has a lot of help. Sheldon might be flawed, I think all college players are flawed and most pros are flawed but we could really use some of his ability.
I definitely agree, and basing that part of the Duke system on how he'll be in the NBA as a defender is ridiculous. Obviously in the NBA you'll get help defense consistently.

Bricklayer said:

But while I myself have made the Reef/Jamison comparison, I'm not sure Reef has that kind of trade value. And its not really about ability. Its just that this summer Reef was out there, and teams weren't exactly falling all over themselves to get him. He's working on a midrange contract. He's better than the contract, but I think it says something about his perceived value.

For whatever reason, Jamison was still getting tagged with "young star" at the time he was traded (and it might have just been the age thing). But of the teams picking early, would anybody down there actually give up Aldridge to get Reef? Doubtful. Now our pick & Reef? Maybe. But we are also fighting Reef's own history a bit. Several of the teams with a chance to be picking in that region wouldn't be interested (Atlanta/Portland). The Magic are set up front now. Charlotte has thus far stayed young. Although...maybe. Toronto obviously has 2 PFs already and with a new GM may not be quite as stupid. If there was going to be a target city/team to trade wiht to get a top pick I think it would have to be right here: the Knicks. Just the sort of move they are prone to making.
I think the bulls maybe interseted because they are in dire need for a low post score.

McRoberts has a lot of upside. They say he's kind of like Webber (not sure about that). I don't think he has Webber's size or athleticism he had in college. They also said he passes like Webber. He did have a good ACC tourney, he does have range. I don't think he has as much upside as let's say Marvin from UNC last year but he could be good, I don't know about lottery good. He never looked that good this year.

First, all guys that played good against Shelden make me think that Corliss or Mark Jackson would probably score without trouble against him and I definitely expect best post defender on the team to deal well with such guys.
Boone and Armstrong has no offense? They are both pretty good passers for big men, especially Josh. Armstrong has a good jumper and Boone's jumper is definitely significantly better than Shelden's. Both are quicker and faster than Williams. Josh can step out and defend on perimeter(Pittsnogle was 4-12 against him), something Shelden just never did in his career so any PF with some sort of mid-range or facing the basket game can be a real problem for him.
Shelden's a man on an island in college? College three point line is at 19'9", in NBA - 23'9". He will be on a comparable island in this league.
With that said Shelden is still the best help-defender in this Draft.
With everybody down on Josh you could probably snatch him at №20 while Shelden will go near №10 so to me Josh looks like a better option.

I don't think the Kings really need a shotblocker. Raef LaFrentz is a good shotblocker from a stats perspective, but does he really make anyone think twice about penetrating on the Celtics? How much does one or two blocked shots really matter over the course of a game compared to the 15-20 shots someone like Duncan or Bosh is going to get? I'd much rather have someone who can play tough one on one defense in the post and make the Duncans and Boshs of the world miss shots than someone who is going to get a few flashy blocks.

What the Kings need is a good interior defender who is 6'11" or higher, someone who can take on the best 4 or 5 on a night in-night out basis. Brad Miller is not a good defender or rebounder, so let him guard the lesser of the opposing power forward or center, and let the dirty work 6'11" guy get the boards and play good defense. Whether or not that guy is a good shotblocker is kind of beside the point.

Get a good rebounder and someone who can defend and play a little offense. Kenny Thomas has shown what a difference a good rebounder makes in the lineup, but he's not big enough to be a good defender. Shelden Williams might pick up some blocks, but would you really want him guarding Duncan over the course of a game? Nope. I'll take one of the bigger guys, thank you very much.

nbrans said:
I don't think the Kings really need a shotblocker. Raef LaFrentz is a good shotblocker from a stats perspective, but does he really make anyone think twice about penetrating on the Celtics? How much does one or two blocked shots really matter over the course of a game compared to the 15-20 shots someone like Duncan or Bosh is going to get? I'd much rather have someone who can play tough one on one defense in the post and make the Duncans and Boshs of the world miss shots than someone who is going to get a few flashy blocks.

What the Kings need is a good interior defender who is 6'11" or higher, someone who can take on the best 4 or 5 on a night in-night out basis. Brad Miller is not a good defender or rebounder, so let him guard the lesser of the opposing power forward or center, and let the dirty work 6'11" guy get the boards and play good defense. Whether or not that guy is a good shotblocker is kind of beside the point.

Get a good rebounder and someone who can defend and play a little offense. Kenny Thomas has shown what a difference a good rebounder makes in the lineup, but he's not big enough to be a good defender. Shelden Williams might pick up some blocks, but would you really want him guarding Duncan over the course of a game? Nope. I'll take one of the bigger guys, thank you very much.
Is Ben Wallace 6.8/9++, Brand is 6 ft 8. Right now we really have no help defence inside. Don't we want a Ben Wallace type player who can come over and put fear into a players face? Maybe he's not as good but he's the best college off ball defender I've seen since Okafor.

Another thing is there are hardly any great 1 on 1 defenders in the league period in the post.

Shaq, Duncan, KG, Brand, Yao are the only one I can think of quickly. Maybe there are more but we need someone who can defend the post if we want to go from good to elite.

nbrans said:

I think Boone fits your criteria, and should be available when we select. Or Thomas, who I still have not seen, sounds like a similar player. I like Williams if the other guys are gone though. He'll be a solid player, and our system would make him look real nice, kind of like Boozer when he was a Cav (lazy comparison, I know).

McRoberts has every bit of Webber's size and athleticism. Believe it or not, some white guys can jump. ;) He should stay one more year though. He'll never overtake Oden for the top spot, but he could become the #2. And no way does Aldridge stay in school. Baring some uncharacteristic tournament heroics by Rudy Gay, Aldridge will be the consensus top pick.

Bricklayer said:

hehhee... the knicks. ah yes the knicks... they don't have their lottery pick this yr tho. it's going to the bulls. lucky bastards

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
KMart23 said:
hehhee... the knicks. ah yes the knicks... they don't have their lottery pick this yr tho. it's going to the bulls. lucky bastards
You're right -- had totally forgotten about that trade. :rolleyes: