What top 7 lottery bound team can Wemby win a championship with in 3 years or less?

Same as thread title

• Total voters
This guy is the next Generational talent. Luka, Giannis, Lebron, Kobe, Jordan. These guys all took awhile to win a ring (or have yet to). What team (if any) that’s top 7 lottery bound do you think could win a championship with him within the first 3 years. Of course we don’t know what pieces those teams could add but based on their current team construction and assets who has the best shot? Why?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
San Antonio is maybe the best bet. Pop got Duncan across the finish in record time, though he had DRob.

Next up would probably be Indy and Portland. They have established talent in place. Orlando would be interesting but are they a fit? Coaching is also sus. Portland would have to sack Billups and frankly Indy probably needs a modern coach too, but they all have solid talent.

Detroit and Houston are ruining talent right now. Charlotte, I think they are probably the team that is as bad as people think Sacramento is/was. Deadbeats locked into ownership and FO positions with questionable ambitions. Say what you will about Vivek, dude was committed to winning, just didn't know how.

San Antonio is maybe the best bet. Pop got Duncan across the finish in record time, though he had DRob.

Next up would probably be Indy and Portland. They have established talent in place. Orlando would be interesting but are they a fit? Coaching is also sus. Portland would have to sack Billups and frankly Indy probably needs a modern coach too, but they all have solid talent.

Detroit and Houston are ruining talent right now. Charlotte, I think they are probably the team that is as bad as people think Sacramento is/was. Deadbeats locked into ownership and FO positions with questionable ambitions. Say what you will about Vivek, dude was committed to winning, just didn't know how.
The bolded caveat is doing a lot of work here!

I guess it’s not earth shattering to say my answer is wherever he can join the most pre existing top level talent. None of these teams are the 1997 Spurs. I do think Dame would give him the best chance, unless the rumors are true that Harden is really eyeing a return to Houston…

I think I’d probably say Portland. They have the best player currently and could flip Sharpe and future firsts for a third star. Dame has a good enough reputation around the league that he could attract some role players if they believe a chip is in play.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I know we want to play hypothetical for the fun of it but the option is none of the above. Even the great Bron couldn't win a championship in 3 years or less, Embiid, Harde, Durant, etc. Wemby is no different. That said, Wemby is going to be a Spur I hope and Pop will create a monster, otherwise I don't believe it.

I know we want to play hypothetical for the fun of it but the option is none of the above. Even the great Bron couldn't win a championship in 3 years or less, Embiid, Harde, Durant, etc. Wemby is no different. That said, Wemby is going to be a Spur I hope and Pop will create a monster, otherwise I don't believe it.
normally I’d agree but those guys stepped into a mess of a team. If he lands with the Blazers he would be playing with a hall of famer in his prime with the assets to make moves right away. I think they could win it in year two or three if they could find a third star to trade for.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
normally I’d agree but those guys stepped into a mess of a team. If he lands with the Blazers he would be playing with a hall of famer in his prime with the assets to make moves right away. I think they could win it in year two or three if they could find a third star to trade for.
that is only feasible if he is a generational talent and contributes day one, which is still an unknown. Environment and coaching matters a whole ton. Just look at what Mike Brown has done for the Kings in 40 games.

that is only feasible if he is a generational talent and contributes day one, which is still an unknown. Environment and coaching matters a whole ton. Just look at what Mike Brown has done for the Kings in 40 games.
let’s assume he is a 17 and 10 guy right out the gate. Pair that with one of the best scorers in the game and an all pro in Siakam. That team is almost assuredly a playoff team year one. Simons, little and Thybulle for role players. They would still have work to do but that’s a dangerous team

I’ve thought about this a bit more and think Houston is a threat as well. If they win the lottery, get a new coach and Harden returns you have a dangerous team.

Harden
Green
Defensive wing
Smith
Wemby.

Eason, Sengun and Garuba off the bench or trade assets)

Would need 2-3 more vets and the right coach but that team could turn it around pretty quick.

I’ve thought about this a bit more and think Houston is a threat as well. If they win the lottery, get a new coach and Harden returns you have a dangerous team.

Harden
Green
Defensive wing
Smith
Wemby.

Eason, Sengun and Garuba off the bench or trade assets)

Would need 2-3 more vets and the right coach but that team could turn it around pretty quick.
Don't forget Martin. He's been playing really well despite being an iffy shooter.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
let’s assume he is a 17 and 10 guy right out the gate. Pair that with one of the best scorers in the game and an all pro in Siakam. That team is almost assuredly a playoff team year one. Simons, little and Thybulle for role players. They would still have work to do but that’s a dangerous team
17 and 10 won't cut it. He would need to come out of the gate year one or possibly year two with Luka type impact in my opinion. I like your ambitious thinking however, I don't quite believe in the Victor hype at this moment but if he blows up then I'll gladly admit defeat.

17 and 10 won't cut it. He would need to come out of the gate year one or possibly year two with Luka type impact in my opinion. I like your ambitious thinking however, I don't quite believe in the Victor hype at this moment but if he blows up then I'll gladly admit defeat.
Remember I said a chip in the first 3 years. I’m expecting 17 and 10 or better in his first year. By year three he’s a monster if he is who they say he is.

I'm gonna go with Houston

They have the ability to sign 2 big players in the next 2 offseasons, that plus the young players they have being on reasonable deals for a while and obviously their improving, that seems like one of the safer bets you could take from these choices.

Rumors are swirling today they'll be a big bidder on Jaylen Brown 2 summers from now.