.....What happen to the NBA now.....?

T-Mac won't hold anything back
Neither side will be feeling the love when Tracy McGrady returns to Orlando for a game tonight.

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted October 23, 2004

You didn't really expect Tracy McGrady to tiptoe quietly into TD Waterhouse Centre tonight under the cover of darkness and in the 7-foot-6 shadow of Yao Ming, did you?

Of course not.

T-Mac is back to face the Orlando Magic as a member of the Houston Rockets, making his first appearance since their contentious parting this summer.

He never held his tongue during four dramatic and traumatic seasons with the Magic. So he wasn't about to keep his opinions to himself upon his return to play his old team in a rare preseason soap opera. Launching pointed comments as easily as 3-pointers, T-Mac:

<LI>Downplayed General Manager John Weisbrod's moves to make over the team after trading him;

<LI>Questioned whether Johnny Davis could be effective as a head coach; and

<LI>Warned Magic fans that booing him only makes him play better.

McGrady was the centerpiece of the franchise's biggest blockbuster deal. He was sent to the Rockets, along with forward Juwan Howard and guards Tyronn Lue and Reece Gaines for guards Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and center Kelvin Cato.

Tip-off to the bizarre Magic-Rockets reunion is 7 p.m.

McGrady signed with the Magic as a free agent in 2000 after leaving the Toronto Raptors, thrilled to be closer to his hometown of Auburndale. He blossomed into a star and thought he'd retire with the Magic, but their relationship ended in an ugly divorce this summer.

McGrady clashed with Weisbrod and, before the season ended, asked the Magic to trade him.

With the club recording a league-worst 21-61 record, T-Mac saw no playoff potential in Orlando. He could opt out of his contract after this upcoming season, leaving the Magic without compensation. His frustration with having to carry the load had affected his attitude. He distanced himself from his teammates and publicly criticized them.

Believing McGrady's return was detrimental to a team needing a fresh start, Weisbrod made the controversial trade.

Weisbrod has been praised for getting three starters for McGrady and making the Magic a deeper team. But McGrady says, "He [Weisbrod] didn't have to do much.

"It's quite simple when you trade a guy of my value. By just trading me you're going to get a lot of good things back."

Weisbrod also made it clear that the franchise would no longer cater to a superstar such as McGrady. The club's colorless slogan this season -- "Total Team Effort" -- not only reflects Weisbrod's philosophy, but, indirectly, takes a swipe at T-Mac's legacy.

McGrady, who won two scoring titles with the Magic, maintains that management never provided him with enough help after Grant Hill virtually disappeared with a nagging ankle injury. "Come on," he said. "You saw what happened the last four years when I was there."

T-Mac didn't want to rehash what led to his trade or talk much about Weisbrod.

"I really don't care. I got a great GM [Rockets General Manager Carroll Dawson]," said McGrady, speaking from Houston by cell phone. "I can't go back to when or what happened in Orlando. I'll just say things weren't looking too good down there.

"I love where I'm at. I'm so happy. Houston is everything I've been looking for. It's a first-class operation. I love this situation, absolutely."

McGrady believes the Magic "have some talent," especially if Hill and Pat Garrity stay healthy.

He said "they're pretty good" but then added, "so the only thing then is probably coaching."

Asked to clarify if he was criticizing Davis, who took over after Doc Rivers was fired early last season, McGrady said, "I think they have a lot of talent. If they don't go far and do everything that's expected, it's because of coaching."

McGrady said he doesn't have anything to prove to the Magic in a preseason game. But on this stage, he just might try to tweak Weisbrod with a 30-point reminder. "The people there know what I can do," he said. "I am excited. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm always excited about going home to Orlando."

McGrady, averaging 15.8 points in limited preseason work, said he would not be surprised if Magic fans boo him.

"You have fans who are fair-weather fans," he said. "It is what it is. Obviously, they didn't understand my situation and what was going on. So, no, I won't be surprised if I'm booed. I've been in this situation before.

"I don't care if they boo. It makes me play my best ball."

McGrady is already getting routinely booed in another country: Canada.

"I feel good coming home [to Orlando]. The last few seasons, I'd talk to a lot of season-ticket holders who'd say, 'If you leave, we understand.' They knew about our struggles and people were like, 'We wondered why it took you so long [to become frustrated],'" he said.

"That makes me feel good. The people who boo me, after what I did down there, . . . they're selfish people. They don't care. It tells me that all they care about is when I scored 40 or 50 points (in a game)."

McGrady is excited about his basketball future in Houston and playing with Yao. But, curiously enough, he has yet to sign an extension. NBA sources say that T-Mac wants to first see if he can play with Yao and if the Rockets are headed in the right direction.

"The contract [he'll receive a maximum deal] is not the problem," McGrady said. "There are a lot of things to think about before you sign on the dotted line. You have to make sure everything is right."

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com

Now the 100,000 dollar question:
Where are all the good ol' NBA players I am more familiar with went?

Is the only left in the league some guys who want only their personal fame and success? Aren't we have that already and it's called "Hollywood"?

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know if I understand your question, Double-K...but if you're saying T-Mac's actions are typical, then I think you're mistaken, for the most part.

Yeah, there are some players who will put themselves above the game, above their team and team-mates, etc. For them, it's all about personal fame and glory. Part of the problem is with us - the fans. We put these guys on such high pedastals that they think they're more important than the game they're playing.

The salaries for top players have become so out of touch that it's hard to even imagine someone playing for love of the game. But there are guys who still do it, although they too have every right to expect a fair salary.

These guys are multi-millionaires. We sometimes forget that because we want them to be like our high school heroes. They aren't; they're very, very rich young men who have problems we could never even imagine. And yet, for some of them, it's not enough. They have to chase the elusive ring, often spitting on the very fans who made them so popular to begin with. It's sad but the days of players remaining loyal to a franchise their entire career are fading fast.

Having said that, I think Tracy McGrady is a jerk.

McGrady, averaging 15.8 points in limited preseason work, said he would not be surprised if Magic fans boo him.

"You have fans who are fair-weather fans," he said. "It is what it is. Obviously, they didn't understand my situation and what was going on. So, no, I won't be surprised if I'm booed. I've been in this situation before.
The FANS are fair-weather fans because they might boo the guy who deserted them and demanded to be traded? Yeah, okay T-Mac. Anything you say.

:rolleyes:

VF21 said:
I don't know if I understand your question, Double-K...but if you're saying T-Mac's actions are typical, then I think you're mistaken, for the most part.

Yeah, there are some players who will put themselves above the game, above their team and team-mates, etc. For them, it's all about personal fame and glory. Part of the problem is with us - the fans. We put these guys on such high pedastals that they think they're more important than the game they're playing.

The salaries for top players have become so out of touch that it's hard to even imagine someone playing for love of the game. But there are guys who still do it, although they too have every right to expect a fair salary.

These guys are multi-millionaires. We sometimes forget that because we want them to be like our high school heroes. They aren't; they're very, very rich young men who have problems we could never even imagine. And yet, for some of them, it's not enough. They have to chase the elusive ring, often spitting on the very fans who made them so popular to begin with. It's sad but the days of players remaining loyal to a franchise their entire career are fading fast.

The FANS are fair-weather fans because they might boo the guy who deserted them and demanded to be traded? Yeah, okay T-Mac. Anything you say.

Yeah.....I was just joking around a little..........I mean.......there wasn't that many Iverson, T-mac or Kobe when I was young and watching the NBA 5,6 years ago..........just seems like nowadays there are more and more players who only cares about themselves.......but maybe because I was in a place where basketball wasn't even a main stream sport at that time.......so I haven't got that many information about guys in the NBA.........All I know is, they looked nice, they played skillfully, they must be good people..........ha ha

VF21 said:
Be careful. Double K uses psychological tricks.

I think it's safe to assume that every player likes to play, otherwise there wouldn't be so much whining about PT. The grind, injury, and soreness over the course of a full season (practice included) has to be a drag at times though. Even though a guy makes $100 million, a strained back is a strained back. I'm also sure they become accustomed to being rich, so each additional million has less soothing effect on their egos.

I know it's hard to believe for someone who's been a fan of the game for a short while, but there was a time when players who were banished to Clipperland didn't even complain. Now, some players even complain about being a Laker!

No diggity...or for shizzle. Whichever you want.

I recall the Magic fans booing the hell out of Shaq for his first 3 games back. If they're not totally disillusioned by now, they'll do the same to TMac. Not too many players have already alienated two fanbases this early in their careers. Hats off to TMac.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Double-K said:
Yeah.....there wasn't that many Iverson, T-mac or Kobe when I was young and watching the NBA 5,6 years ago...
...sigh...

Try being young and watching the NBA 35, 36 years ago...

Gargy - Don't even think about saying it.

No, I know it's tempting but do not go down that road...

I'm serious...

;)

VF21 said:
...sigh...

Try being young and watching the NBA 35, 36 years ago...

Gargy - Don't even think about saying it.

No, I know it's tempting but do not go down that road...

I'm serious...

;)
On the contrary, VF. I'm jealous you got to see the Logo and all of Magic's career. Mad props to your "experience". ;)

The Orlando fans have every right to boo TMac and they will, no matter what he says. From their point of view he is a traitor. So the best thing he can do now is just shut up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gargamel said:
On the contrary, VF. I'm jealous you got to see the Logo and all of Magic's career. Mad props to your "experience". ;)
Oddly enough, over all the years and all the games, all the players and all the teams, the one I still think about the most is probably "Pistol Pete" Maravich...

:(

VF21 said:
Oddly enough, over all the years and all the games, all the players and all the teams, the one I still think about the most is probably "Pistol Pete" Maravich...

:(
Pete was the greatest!!!!!!!!! I have kind of stopped watching tennis when he retired :(.

bibbyweb said:
Pete was the greatest!!!!!!!!! I have kind of stopped watching tennis when he retired :(.
Early leader for "Kingsfans.com quote of the millenium"

bibbyweb,VF21 meant Pistol Pete Maravich, the highly entertaining retro basketball player.

You proably meant Pete Sampras, who I highly respect as a competitor myself, but he wasn't much of a ball player ;)

Last edited:
VF21 said:
Sadly enough, Pete died at the age of 41, suffering a heart attack on the court during a pick-up game.
His friend, whom he was playing with that day (in 1988) swears that his last words right before collapsing were something to the effect of, "We need to do this more often. I feel great."

peja16 said:
Early leader for "Kingsfans.com quote of the millenium"

bibbyweb,VF21 meant Pistol Pete Maravich, the highly entertaining retro basketball player.

You proably meant Pete Sampras, who I highly respect as a competitor myself, but he wasn't much of a ball player ;)
lol sorry abt that was pretty stupid of me, but i have never heard abt the other Pete.

So........he don't care about the booing

(from the article he said: "I don't care about the Magic," McGrady said. "I don't care nothing about them. Nothing.")

..........and he sit the game........

and he had to sit the game because.............?
(from the article again, "Coach Jeff Van Gundy explained he wanted to rest them (T-Mac and Juwan Howard) and look at other players.")

Oh I thought you can do better than that, Jeff...........

Last edited:
Double-K said:
So........he don't care about the booing

(from the article he said: "I don't care about the Magic," McGrady said. "I don't care nothing about them. Nothing.")

..........and he sit the game........

and he had to sit the game because.............?
(from the article again, "Coach Jeff Van Gundy explained he wanted to rest them (T-Mac and Juwan Howard) and look at other players.")

Oh I thought you can do better than that, Jeff...........
Is Adelman the only coach who's allowed to rest his starters?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point, I couldn't care less if Tracy McGrady is happy, sad, etc. He virtually spit on the fans of Orlando when he demanded a trade... Now he's whining again, because he didn't play in a game against the team he pretty much spit on?

What did he expect? "Oh, thank you T-Mac for leaving us. We're so glad you decided it would be better to play anywhere than in front of us. We applaud you for your devotion to us, knowing since we won't ever win a championship it's better if we just don't get our hopes up."

TMac should learn to shut up atleast when it comes to anything to do with Orlando. Because whenever he says anything he comes out looking more selfish and more juvinile.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Pistol Pete was great to watch. I may be old enough to see him play BUT I was young at the time.

As for T-Mac, I just wish basketball players would talk less crap and play ball.

Gargamel said:
Is Adelman the only coach who's allowed to rest his starters?
woooooo............go easy on my posts now, would ya?:eek: you've had your fun on poor lil' Double-K on quite some occasions already.........:( :cool: