We're #8...

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Does anyone know when the last time was that the picks went like this? If it was last year, I'll up my Alzheimers' meds.

Does anyone know when the last time was that the picks went like this? If it was last year, I'll up my Alzheimers' meds.
Never when the Kings have been in the top 3 pre-lottery thats for sure. Its so weird, as historically bad as this franchise has been, we've never had a top pick, not sure if even top 3.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Never when the Kings have been in the top 3 pre-lottery thats for sure. Its so weird, as historically bad as this franchise has been, we've never had a top pick, not sure if even top 3.
We have never moved up in the ping-pong ball era. We were at third, and hit on the third pick in 1991, which was the second-ever ping-pong lottery (though the odds were flatter than the current odds until 1994). We won the final envelope lottery in 1989, and selected Pervis Ellison. So, in terms of franchise lottery history, #1 once, #3 once, no other appearances in the top-three.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So now that we have stayed at 8, do you think we trade the pick for a vet?
Depends if there's anyone on the board that we like at 8. There are certainly prospects that I like in that range, but whether Vlade and his staff like them or not is what matters. I could see us trading the pick but it's hard to get good value for a mid-lotto pick so I wouldn't assume that's our best course of action either.

We have never moved up in the ping-pong ball era. We were at third, and hit on the third pick in 1991, which was the second-ever ping-pong lottery (though the odds were flatter than the current odds until 1994). We won the final envelope lottery in 1989, and selected Pervis Ellison. So, in terms of franchise lottery history, #1 once, #3 once, no other appearances in the top-three.
I remember being so underwhelmed with the talent available in that draft to the point of wanting us to trade the pick. I literally HATED that slew-footed, lazy bum Ellison. I also hated Billy SLOwens and wanted to trade his ass too, which thankfully he held out and we did. Still pissed SLOwens even donned the uniform at a later date.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Depends if there's anyone on the board that we like at 8. There are certainly prospects that I like in that range, but whether Vlade and his staff like them or not is what matters. I could see us trading the pick but it's hard to get good value for a mid-lotto pick so I wouldn't assume that's our best course of action either.
The only way you can get any kind of value trading the pick, is if its part of a larger trade. Straight up, the pick has more value as a cheap gamble on a player you'll have for four years at a very cheap price compared to any veteran you might acquire. If the Kings do their homework, they should be able to get someone that will contribute at some point. What's the point of tanking at the end of the year to keep the pick, if all your going to do is trade it for some player another team doesn't want. Because that's what your going to get offered.

Of course you can trade down, or you can trade up.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I remember being so underwhelmed with the talent available in that draft to the point of wanting us to trade the pick. I literally HATED that slew-footed, lazy bum Ellison. I also hated Billy SLOwens and wanted to trade his ass too, which thankfully he held out and we did. Still pissed SLOwens even donned the uniform at a later date.
Owens became Mitch Richmond. Turned out OK...

The good thing about the order staying chalk is that there is a possibility Dunn or Hield falls to eight. The teams ahead of us have their backcourt positions filled. Question would be is Dunn worth it enough for them to unload/change direction at the position

3. Celtics- IT, Smart, Rozier, Bradley
4. Phoenix- Bledsoe, Knight, Booker
5. Timberwolves- Rubio, Lavine(this is where he could go, but they might opt for a shooter like Murray or Hield to spread floor for KAT and Wiggins.)
6. Pelicans- Evans, Holiday (both in last year of contracts, I could see them going big or wing though)
7. Nuggets- Mudiay

gunks

Hall of Famer
Ooooh..... That IS interesting!

Also makes those teams more apt to pick for us and swap if we throw in something.

All depends on how Vlade feels about the prospects I suppose.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
1-2 is going to be Simmons and Ingram in some order. Then you have 5 teams drafting above us who need bigs. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the big guys projected to go a little later like Ellenson, Poetl, and maybe even Chriss or Labissiere sneak up there. They all measured out very well at the combine. The Celtics have so many guards already they almost have to go big here. Who knows with Phoenix - they may just scrap everything but Booker and start over. Minnesota could take pretty much anything. Finding a frontcourt partner for Towns seems likely but I expect them to take Dunn if Phoenix doesn't. LaVine at PG didn't work and they're stacked with young guys most everywhere else. The Pelicans need a SG, SF, or C. Buddy Hield would be great for them or Jaylen Brown. The Nuggets have Mudiay but Dunn could play SG and they swap defensive assignments. I would be very jealous of that backcourt too. Tough to predict. I would be pleasantly surprised if we have a shot at either Dunn or Brown but we need 5 teams to pass on them and I expect Denver to pick whichever one is still on the board. At that point it would be Luwawu or the best of the bigs for me.

Last edited:
Denzel Valentine. That's who we should take and we shouldn't look back.
Valentine's lack of speed and athleticism concerns me. He's no doubt a leader and a kid that can pass and shoot it. I just think he might struggle against the typical NBA shooting guard.

If I were Vlade, I might consider trying anything I could sans trading DeMarcus or WCS to land Kris Dunn.