Well Stro Swift is gone for this year

O

oldwitch

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=grizzliesswift&prov=st&type=lgns

Grizzlies sign F Swift to one-year deal
September 30, 2004

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (Ticker) - Stromile Swift will be playing with some added incentive this season.

The Memphis Grizzlies on Thursday re-signed the restricted free agent to a one-year qualifying offer worth nearly $6 million after negotiations for a multi-year contract produced nothing.

An athletic forward, Swift averaged 9.4 points and 4.9 rebounds with a career-best 118 blocked shots in 77 games last season, his fourth in the NBA. He can become an unrestricted free agent July 1. "Obviously, this is a very important year for Stromile," Grizzlies president of basketball operations Jerry West said. "I made Stromile and his agent numerous contract offers, and none were acceptable. We expect Stromile to go out and have a great year and pressure us to sign him to the type of contract he is seeking." Selected second overall in 2000, the 6-9 Swift never has lived up to expecations. He is known more for his defense and has career averages of 8.8 points, 5.1 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 292 games.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There was really never any hope there. Restricted FA, and an obviously valuable one. Nothing we could do to get him except via trade.

Interesting though how it played out. Will be unrestricted next year, and is apparently looking for an unreasonably big contract based on potential. But if he shows anything this year it wouldn't surprise me at all to see an Eastern team, or just anyone with a weak frontcourt, take a flyer on him with a big $$ contract.

Last edited:
I guess this is a huge risk, in terms of injury and whatnot, but I think more RFA's should do this if they really want to leave. Guys like Elton Brand or Jason Terry who tried to get out but their offers were matched.