Webber misses practice

[font=verdana,geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Wednesday, October 6, 2004

[/font]

Just one day after talking about how well he felt, Kings forward Chris Webber missed practice Tuesday because of puffiness around his surgically repaired left knee.

Webber wasn't the only player ailing. Small forward David Bluthenthal missed his second day because of the flu, and shooting guard Courtney Alexander participated in a portion of the workout before sitting down because of a strained left thigh.

Coach Rick Adelman said all three players were day-to-day.

"Webb just had some puffiness, no soreness or pain or anything, and (trainer) Pete (Youngman) just felt there was no reason to push it," he said. "Just keep him out, and hopefully, he'll be back (today), and we can go from there."

Bluthenthal could need another day of rest.

"He's got a cold and a sore throat," Adelman said of the former USC standout. "It'll probably be (today) or maybe Thursday. We'll see how he feels. Courtney is probably the same way. He tweaked that thigh and practiced a little bit (Tuesday) but just briefly.

Kings say they'll eat money if necessary - Bluthenthal and Alexander are free agents who have received at least partial guarantees to come to camp. And in these days of luxury-tax payments, teams often hesitate to waive a player to whom they've already committed cash.

However, Kings owner Joe Maloof and president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie say the team will take the best players available from camp.

"If we have some guy in camp who can really play, then we have to sign him," Maloof said. "We've paid the luxury tax every year they have had it, so we're not afraid to pay players. If Geoff and Adelman come to us and say we need to keep these guys, then we'll keep them. That's how much faith we have in Geoff. We don't hesitate when Geoff asks."

Et cetera - Forward Peja Stojakovic returned to practice after biting his lip during Monday afternoon's workout.

* The stretch of the exhibition season the Kings can't wait to experience is coming home from an Oct. 16 game in Beijing, then flying to Fresno on Oct. 19 to face the Los Angeles Lakers.

* Another interesting quirk is the Kings play their next-to-last exhibition game at Dallas on Oct. 28, return home the next night to play the Phoenix Suns, then return to Dallas for the Nov. 2 regular-season opener.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Geoff said:
Why didn't they have that same generous spirit when Jim Jackson was left flappinig in the wind? :(
Because he was old, formerly cancerous, and we had this kid named Wallace who we hoped would be our future SG. Throw in the shedding of Vlade's big deal, and the addition of a TV contract, and you have a little different situation. They are also talking here about eating a few hundred thousand dollars as opposed to millions, and they're just talking.

Bricklayer

BTW, get a kick out of how hypersensitive we have all gotten about injuries -- oh no! Peja has a cut lip! Blumenthal has a sore throat! :eek:

Bricklayer said:
BTW, get a kick out of how hypersensitive we have all gotten about injuries -- oh no! Peja has a cut lip! Blumenthal has a sore throat! :eek:
The only thing I'm focused on is Webber. Given the nature of his injury and surgical procedure the odds of him playing a full season are not great. Furthermore, Miller has never played 82 games in a season. Other than blind faith and a dash of hope there is no reason to believe this season will be different for Miller and Webber.

So, I'm a tad bit concerned about the frontcourt depth.

Webber has a swollen knee, and Ostertag broke his hand?

The season hasn't even started and the Kings are beginning to look like a veterans' hospital pick-up team.

G_M said:
The only thing I'm focused on is Webber. Given the nature of his injury and surgical procedure the odds of him playing a full season are not great. Furthermore, Miller has never played 82 games in a season. Other than blind faith and a dash of hope there is no reason to believe this season will be different for Miller and Webber.

We had this discussion a couple of weeks ago. Like you, I expressed concern over the frontcourt depth. Someone in the forum had the opinion that the Kings couldn't build their roster around the possibility of a significant injury; my reply was "why not?"

Like all Kings fans, I'm rooting for one season without major injuries. But the pragmatist in me says that if there's a big guy out there worth grabbing -- or if one becomes available due to training camp cuts -- the Kings should hop on him, because if training camp is any indication, it's prudent to be prepared for injuries.

It's nice to know the Maloofs remain willing to pay the luxury tax, if need be. The timing of that statement -- once camp has begun and almost every free agent of worth is gone -- is interesting bordering on suspect.

M

Markezi

G_M said:

I'm right there with you.

I hope Webber is as hyper-optimistic as people on this board seem to be - he's going to need it...

Ultimately though, Miller's health is more important than Webber's for the Kings success - especially with the possibility that Webber may be mostly absent (as usual).

piksi

Hall of Famer
KingKong said:
Is puffiness normal?
Yes.

Considering that kind of injury that is a very mild condition. That knee is NEVER going to be the same. Nothing anyone can do about it. Every time he jumps - he lands with the weight 9 x his own. A perfectly normal knee would have some difficulties after 20 years of BB. A damaged knee of an athlete ...
10 years aga it would have been a career ending injury. Modern medicine extended his BB life but it can just go so far.

Geoff said:
Why didn't they have that same generous spirit when Jim Jackson was left flappinig in the wind? :(
Exactly....its not like he signed for THAT much money in Houston...very cheap, actually...like 3 or 4 million, if I remember right. Hey, I'd take 1 Jim over 2 other veteren role players that dont produce half of what Jim brought to this team. Oh well, its a moot point now.

Circa_1985_Fan said:
Exactly....its not like he signed for THAT much money in Houston...very cheap, actually...like 3 or 4 million, if I remember right. Hey, I'd take 1 Jim over 2 other veteren role players that dont produce half of what Jim brought to this team. Oh well, its a moot point now.
He is gone. Maybe its time that we get over the fact that JJ left. He only play 2/3 of a season. Peeler fit better if you consider cost.

On, CWebb this is a BIG concern. If this happens after a couple days of practice what is going to be happening in game 72.

Ok, now its a concern. I just read that he missed today too....

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/10/06/sports2006EDT0286.DTL

Webber misses another day of practice with Kings

Wednesday, October 6, 2004
(10-06) 17:06 PDT SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) --

Chris Webber missed his second day of practice with the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday to rest his surgically repaired left knee.

Webber, a five-time All-Star who played just 23 games last season, hopes two days of rest will reduce swelling in his knee. Last week, the forward said his knee felt strong after a summer of rest.

He underwent surgery after tearing ligaments in his knee during a playoff game against Dallas in May 2002. The Kings struggled when he returned to the lineup last season, blowing the Pacific Division title and eventually losing a seven-game series to Minnesota in the second round of the playoffs.

The Kings will depart for a preseason trip to China after Sunday's home exhibition game against Golden State.

Last edited:
piksi said:
We need an other big man.

How does our starting lineup looks these days ?
We don't "need another", we just need our existing ones to be/stay healthy. I say that I am concerned, yet in the same sense, I/we don't know whats going on. Maybe everyone is just being super cautious, I don't know.

Bricklayer

piksi said:
We need an other big man.

How does our starting lineup looks these days ?
We've already got a deeper frontcourt rotation than just about any in the league. Two All-Star caliber starters, and 2 solid backups. There really is no way we can get a quality 5th big man, because if Webb/Miller stay healthy, he will get ZERO minutes. And we aren't going to pay a big salary for zero minutes, nor is a quality guy going to want to come to wave a towel. It would be prudent to have another big body around given our fragility, but hes almost surely going to be a non-rotation type scrub.

Bricklayer said:
We've already got a deeper frontcourt rotation than just about any in the league. Two All-Star caliber starters, and 2 solid backups. There really is no way we can get a quality 5th big man, because if Webb/Miller stay healthy, he will get ZERO minutes. And we aren't going to pay a big salary for zero minutes, nor is a quality guy going to want to come to wave a towel. It would be prudent to have another big body around given our fragility, but hes almost surely going to be a non-rotation type scrub.
Where's Lawrence Funderburke when you need him?

Bricklayer

C Diddy said:
Where's Lawrence Funderburke when you need him?
there's still a few experienced big scrub type guys out there. Corie Blount, Lonny Baxter, Obinna Ekezie, Donnel Harvey etc. Players of that caliber. Or lack of caliber.

Oh, and don't forget Horance Grant and Keon Clark (who has aparently fallen entirely off the wagon and may just be out of the lague now).

Bricklayer said:
there's still a few experienced big scrub type guys out there. Corie Blount, Lonny Baxter, Obinna Ekezie, Donnel Harvey etc. Players of that caliber. Or lack of caliber.

Oh, and don't forget Horance Grant and Keon Clark (who has aparently fallen entirely off the wagon and may just be out of the lague now).
Is there no room in the league for a guy that started for the NCAA 2001-2002 champs? What's wrong with Lonnie Baxter? I'm serious, by the way. Three teams and an unrestricted free agent already. Is this kid wacked or what? Honestly, I am no basketball expert (as anyone who has read my posts already knows) but I loved watching this guy play for UMaryland on their run to the championship. I know he fell into the second round into the draft but why? Is he too small, too unskilled, or too something else? I probably knew some of those answers a couple of years ago but...dur...I guess I suffer from attention deficit disorder or something! :eek:

KK!

baxter was okay with the bulls. in the game i watched him play, he just didn't seem all that focused. his attention on defense was not overly impressive, he let his defenders penetrate too much, and he wasn't really a monster on offense either, but along the lines of being a below average player, more then welcome to the bench. i wouldn't mind having him.

Grobar said:
baxter was okay with the bulls. in the game i watched him play, he just didn't seem all that focused. his attention on defense was not overly impressive, he let his defenders penetrate too much, and he wasn't really a monster on offense either, but along the lines of being a below average player, more then welcome to the bench. i wouldn't mind having him.
Thanks!

OK, I'm taking his stats and stuff straight off nba.com so, again I'm asking, what's wrong with this guy?

In his first NBA season, averaged 4.8 ppg and 3.0 rpg (13th among NBA rookies), shooting .466 from the floor in 2002-03

2nd season, averaged 4.0 ppg, and 3.0 rpg, shot (on three different teams!) .551 (bulls), .469 (toronto), and .500 (wizards) in 2003-04

and now he's looking for his 4th home in 2 years...this is also from nba.com:

Selected by the Chicago Bulls in the second round (44th pick overall) in the 2002 NBA Draft...Released by the Bulls on 11/28/03...Signed by the Toronto Raptors as a free agent on 12/1/03...Released by the Raptors on 2/29/04...Signed off waivers by the Washington Wizards on 3/3/04

and apparently released again.

He's not playing much (hey, it was his 2nd year!) around 12 mpg, his career turnovers are .72, his bpg are .44, his ft% is .64 (they weren't great as a Terp either), he averaged 3 rpg (in 12 minutes)... but also averaged 2.2 fouls in the same 12+ minutes...so, what is it? Why is he looking for his 4th team and why was he waived/not re-signed by 3 of those teams? I don't remember why he left he left Chicago, if they just let him go after a little over one year or if he was part of a trade, but the two teams after that let him go also. He must have some basketball IQ to have helped the Terps win the NCAA, but I know that the other starters on that team haven't done much either (and one never made an nba team at all). So, is the NCAA title no indicator of NBA success because the best players leave before their senior year or is something else at work here?

Honestly, as I said before, I'm no basketball genius, I just know what teams I "love" to watch and I loved the Terps that year. They seemed to be the college equivalent of the Kings, they played great fastbreak ball and passed extremely well, they were an exciting team to watch. When they won the NCAA that year I was sure the Kings would win the NBA! Poetic justice or some nonsense like that. :eek:

Oh well, if anyone else has any takes on this situation, I'd love to hear them.

thanks!

KK!

ReinadelosReys said:
We don't "need another", we just need our existing ones to be/stay healthy. I say that I am concerned, yet in the same sense, I/we don't know whats going on. Maybe everyone is just being super cautious, I don't know.
we need 1 ...

staying healthy is a big issue ...

u never know with the injuries ... better to have 1 more big guy

our frontcourt backups better be working hard on their game right now coz you can never tell what may come or happen esp. w/ ailing player injuries. man this is a cause for concern indeed.

See, this is what I was talking about before. Webber didn't say he was in pain during the season and it seemed like he wasn't in pain just by looking at him. Yet just yesterday, he talks about how much terrible pain he was experiencing, and how it's gone now.

But then today we learn he was kept out of practice because of puffiness? I don't believe this guy.

M

Markezi

KA_2 said:
See, this is what I was talking about before. Webber didn't say he was in pain during the season and it seemed like he wasn't in pain just by looking at him. Yet just yesterday, he talks about how much terrible pain he was experiencing, and how it's gone now.

But then today we learn he was kept out of practice because of puffiness? I don't believe this guy.
Precisely. There is a pattern of intentional deception. It's fine for some people to be enthusiastically gung ho for that small beam of potential light, but there is also a history and reality to consider.

It is totally valid and necessary to condition excitement with reality.