Weak defense raises a red flag for Kings

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11277127p-12192349c.html

Weak defense raises a red flag for Kings
Aggressive measures might be in order, Bobby Jackson says.
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Sunday, October 31, 2004

Last week, Kings guard Bobby Jackson was asked if the team had a no-layup rule for opposing teams, and he said he hoped so. After watching Sacramento's last two preseason games, Jackson should be ready to implore his teammates to adopt a philosophy in which layups and dunks are prevented by aggressive fouls.

The Kings, who open the regular season Tuesday night at Dallas, allowed at least 101 points in four of their final five preseason games on the way to a 2-6 record. Several factors, including injuries and the coaching staff's plan to look at free agents and rookies, contributed to the porous defense. However, surrendering 124 points to visiting Phoenix in Friday's preseason finale should have alarmed them.

If the Kings continue the poor on-ball defense they showed much of this preseason, they'll certainly have the chance to practice the hard-foul philosophy. Jackson said discussion about the prohibition of layups and dunks would be nothing new.

"We always talk about it," Jackson said, "but we never do it. Hopefully, we can do it this year. Everybody knows you shouldn't give up uncontested layups. Hey, foul the (hell) out of him! Don't just give up a layup. But all kinds of things go on during a game. You may have a foul or two in the first quarter, so you might not want to do that.

"It just depends on the situation in the game. Is the other team making a run? How many (points) are we up? How many points are they up? If they are making a run, you definitely want to take that foul."

Coach Rick Adelman long has spoken about his team's offensive approach affecting its defensive approach. And following the embarrassing 28-point loss to the Suns, it was abundantly clear that a haphazard, quick-shoot offensive attack placed more pressure on a leaky defense.

Transition defense was questionable against the quick Suns, but the halfcourt defense was worse. Getting beaten off the dribble, then having the interior defense penetrated resulted in unchallenged paths to the basket or wide-open perimeter attempts.

That's how Phoenix made 9 of 16 three-point attempts. And that's precisely the way Dallas, under coach Don Nelson, has attacked the Kings in the past and surely will do so Tuesday.

The Kings' performance so disgusted Adelman that he said he talked to the team about drastic measures. "I told them if they wanted me to call plays every time down the court and keep the scores in the 70s, I can do that," Adelman said in what for him nearly represents offensive blasphemy.

Before the Kings head to Dallas, cuts likely will be made today. Adelman said backup center Greg Ostertag, who is recovering from a broken hand, will be on the active roster. Guard Doug Christie, suffering from tender foot tissue, probably will learn his status today. If Christie goes on the injured list, he will miss five games.

Sacramento's starting lineup, besides Christie, consists of Chris Webber, Peja Stojakovic, Brad Miller and Mike Bibby, with Ostertag, Jackson, Darius Songaila and first-round draft pick Kevin Martin coming off the bench. Maurice Evans, who looks ready to replace Christie in the opening-night lineup, and Matt Barnes clearly have been the best free agents.

That's 11 players, including Christie. The Kings then will have to decide what to do with still-hobbling Courtney Alexander, Erik Daniels, Alton Ford, David Bluthenthal and second-round draft choice Ricky Minard.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
iheartBrad said:
weak defense...well we we're never a team known for outstanding defense...so this early in the game im not worried
I think the point would be that we need to be known for defense though if we want to pull this thing off. Or at least be respectable (even when we were a very good defensive team we weren't known for it -- much easier for pundits to live off the old stereotypes than to actually watch the games).

In any case, everyone was hoping that we would get BETTER on defense this year. A lot better. And its been talked about. And right now we are looking just as bad as last year.

Luckily it was only preseason, and I'm hoping the regular season personality of this team has yet to form up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think Doug did anything to his foot. At least, it sure didn't look like there was a new problem of any kind.

They only expected him to play for a few minutes, just to test the waters so to speak.

:D

^^ oh ok..

i was worried cause there were reports before that doug may be able to play against dallas for the season opener.. but now, it seems like he may even miss 5 days..

well, let's just hope for the best.. i hope doug and tag will be ok soon! :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think they're just covering the bases in what COULD happen, not what is likely to happen - at least as far as Doug is concerned.

He might start in Dallas and play limited minutes, which is what I think is most likely based on how he looked against Phoenix. He's a little rusty and needs to get up to speed, something very unusual for Doug...

He might come in off the bench in Dallas. I think this is highly unlikely, as Adelman generally starts his starters if they're going to play at all.

He might not play in Dallas and wait for San Antonio...I don't think this is too probable, either.

He might go on the IR...I don't see this happening, unless his foot really acted up after the limited time he spent on Friday night. He didn't appear to be suffering any discomfort after he came out of the game. I tried to watch him closely during team huddles, etc. and I didn't see him favoring the foot at all...

KingKong said:
How was Doug during the game, I know that he didn't score at all but how was his movement while he was on the court?
his movement was all right, not as aggressive and fast as i've seen him, but that's all understood. he needed to rest.
i think he said they are just being causious about it. it supposedly getting better.

he better get better soon too. since we are on the defense issue, we could definitely use him.
kings are known for their offense, not defense, maybe it's about time we started talking about defense and not allowing so many points.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
KingKong said:
How was Doug during the game, I know that he didn't score at all but how was his movement while he was on the court?
I watched him closely from the moment he took the court for the pre-game warmups. I saw absolutely NO restriction of movement or sign of favoring his foot.

The only thing I noticed was he looked a little rusty - and you can probably attribute that to game situations being different than drills and practice.

Remember, Pedja had this problem, too. When he first returned, he had a few cobwebs to brush away...

:D

The thing that worried me personally watching the last 2 games was the lack of athleticism in the interior. It seemed no one could deal with Dampier or Stoudamire, the defensive rebounding was hor-ri-ble, which wouldn't alert me persay off of one game, but even in the Dallas game Webber looked like the knee had to have been bothering him cause there was no explosiveness on any moves at all, if he is going to resort to being an elbow jump shooter, maybe this is the time to trade him, early on. If they are looking to do it......give him to a eastern conference team that needs that facet like the Knicks

Rockmeister said:
http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/11277127p-12192349c.html

Coach Rick Adelman long has spoken about his team's offensive approach affecting its defensive approach. And following the embarrassing 28-point loss to the Suns, it was abundantly clear that a haphazard, quick-shoot offensive attack placed more pressure on a leaky defense.

Transition defense was questionable against the quick Suns, but the halfcourt defense was worse. Getting beaten off the dribble, then having the interior defense penetrated resulted in unchallenged paths to the basket or wide-open perimeter attempts.

That's how Phoenix made 9 of 16 three-point attempts. And that's precisely the way Dallas, under coach Don Nelson, has attacked the Kings in the past and surely will do so Tuesday.

Interesting how this writer didnt realize that it may have more to do with Steve Nash is the PG for both of these situations...so maybe it has to do with how the player attacks rather than the attack of the coach?? hmmmmmmmmm

Bricklayer

Truconfidence said:
The thing that worried me personally watching the last 2 games was the lack of athleticism in the interior. It seemed no one could deal with Dampier or Stoudamire, the defensive rebounding was hor-ri-ble, which wouldn't alert me persay off of one game, but even in the Dallas game Webber looked like the knee had to have been bothering him cause there was no explosiveness on any moves at all, if he is going to resort to being an elbow jump shooter, maybe this is the time to trade him, early on. If they are looking to do it......give him to a eastern conference team that needs that facet like the Knicks
I'm guessing you must have been unable to catch the rest of the preseason -- its been noted by numerous writers that he is spending considerably more of his time down in the post thus far. He has not shown explosiveness, but his jump hook has looked great.

Bricklayer said:
I'm guessing you must have been unable to catch the rest of the preseason -- its been noted by numerous writers that he is spending considerably more of his time down in the post thus far. He has not shown explosiveness, but his jump hook has looked great.
Only games I saw were the China games, the Laker game, and the last 2 games, oh i noticed he was in the post more, I just didnt see the exploviseness that will translate into hoops in the Lakers game or the Dallas game. So i'm just guessing his knee must be sore. So if he is going to be more effective as n elbow jump shooter than maybe it's time to cut him loose to a team that is looking for that like NY.

Bricklayer

Truconfidence said:
Only games I saw were the China games, the Laker game, and the last 2 games, oh i noticed he was in the post more, I just didnt see the exploviseness that will translate into hoops in the Lakers game or the Dallas game. So i'm just guessing his knee must be sore. So if he is going to be more effective as n elbow jump shooter than maybe it's time to cut him loose to a team that is looking for that like NY.
I'm not entirely sure I follow the "explosiveness translates into hoops" argument. He's actually moving pretty well and taking his man off the dribble. Just nto a dunk machine at this point. Then again none of our guys are. Not sure about the elbow jumper argument either given that you seem to agree that he has NOT particularly been a jumpshooter this preseason. If he's down in the post, and his hook is working, that's not a problem. He's always taken a lot of jumpers. Part of his versatility. But he's probably taken fewer as a percentage so far this preseason than he has in years past.

Of greater concern to me regarding his explosiveness is his lack of shotblocking thus far. He's moving pretty well laterally, but not getting up to intimidate. And when you have an All-Whiteman's Disease C/SF combo starting on either side of you, you've got to be the guy to provide the interior defense. If he can't a healthy Tag is going to become very critical.

Last edited:
Bricklayer said:
I'm not entirely sure I follow the "explosiveness translates into hoops" argument. He's actually moving pretty well and taking his man off the dribble. Just nto a dunk machine at this point. Then again none of our guys are. Not sure about the elbow jumper argument either given that you seem to agree that he has NOT particularly been a jumpshooter this preseason. If he's down in the post, and his hook is working, that's not a problem. He's always taken a lot of jumpers. Part of his versatility. But he's probably taken fewer as a percentage so far this preseason than he has in years past.

Of greater concern to me regarding his explosiveness is his lack of shotblocking thus far. He's moving pretty well laterally, but not getting up to intimidate. And when you have an All-Whiteman's Disease C/SF combo starting on either side of you, you've got to be the guy to provide the interior defense. If he can't a healthy Tag is going to become very critical.
the second part is what im getting at with my original point. Tag is very important..Dampier was able to dunk very easily in that game

the first part, im not talking about pre-season about the elbow jumper syndrome the recent past more,sorry i didnt make that clear. this pre-season though im saying if he has no explosiveness he isnt going to finish around the hoop the whole season. And explosiveness doesnt mean dunking. it means getting off the floor. he has moved well but no explosiveness, thats what im mean about the knee, moving laterally and jumping are 2 different things. I just think that knee isnt 100% and im worried about his ability to finish down low, and preventing others from doing the same, Dampier had alot of Dunks in that 1st quarter

so, Brad's man (Dampier)was able to establish whatever position he desired, mostly by just muscling Brad right out of the way, and we are most worried about how that must mean Chris has no explosiveness? I was pretty concerned that Brad has looked weak in the post this entire pre-season. Maybe that weight-room idea wasn't such a bad one after all.

Kingsgurl said:
so, Brad's man (Dampier)was able to establish whatever position he desired, mostly by just muscling Brad right out of the way, and we are most worried about how that must mean Chris has no explosiveness? I was pretty concerned that Brad has looked weak in the post this entire pre-season. Maybe that weight-room idea wasn't such a bad one after all.
Most of Dampier's points as I remember came from the defense as a whole breaking down off penetration, not just Brad's strength, I saw him having to help and Chris was rotating over and not able to do anything except watch Dampier dunk on him.he didnt really jump with him at all, or try to deter him from thinking he can just dunk on him.

First off, I am not just talking about that one game. I have been singularily unimpressed with Brad in the post all pre-season, both offensively and defensively. He never had strong moves around the basket, but he is getting pushed around with ease by just about everyone. Hopefully, he is just coasting a bit in the pre-season. Also, there were at least 2 dunks that I recall that Dampier just plain out muscled Brad to gain position under the basket, causing Chris to have to rotate over (late) to help. No sense giving him an And 1 in that situation.

Kingsgurl said:
First off, I am not just talking about that one game. I have been singularily unimpressed with Brad in the post all pre-season, both offensively and defensively. He never had strong moves around the basket, but he is getting pushed around with ease by just about everyone. Hopefully, he is just coasting a bit in the pre-season. Also, there were at least 2 dunks that I recall that Dampier just plain out muscled Brad to gain position under the basket, causing Chris to have to rotate over (late) to help. No sense giving him an And 1 in that situation.
I dont think any player had a great pre-season at all. Dampier is a big dude only guy bigger is Shaq, so the help needs to be there anyway. and why not foul him. Dampier cant hit a FT to save his life. it isnt necessarily going to be an AND 1. Especially since you are playing that very same team 1st game sends a good message, I think this is what that Bobby Jackson no lay-up rule article was referring to..just not letting inferior players punk you and get confidence. Defense is a mindstate, and its a team thing. the lack of athleticism is concerning...but Ostertag will help just by being huge, so im waiting to pass judgement till then. So after he is back I'll be more scathing or lauding....