WCS

Questions?

How concerned are you personally? Is it motor or mental? Would you entertain trading him before his value potentially goes lower?

He'll be out of the league after this contract is up. His sickle cell trait appears to be affecting him physically, plus he has low BBIQ and lack of motivation. I would have traded him for McCaw, but I don't even think we could get that now.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Lookin' like yet another Kings draft bust so far.

Buuuut.....

The season is young, so he may just get it together yet!

I would like to see some fire though. And more than 1.3 rpg or whatever abysmal numbers he's averaging for that stat.

Last edited:
He clearly gained some weight and the offense is quite slow with Georger. He is not a garbage ball scorer because he doesn't seem to fight much for rebound. He is a chasing or running big which kind of the offense Georger doesn't rely on yet.

Hope the coach finds place for the kid in the system.

How about Coach Joeger tell WCS to stop chasing Guards and Small Forwards all around the perimeter and sit your a$$ in the lane and protect the damn rim and rebound!!! :eek::eek::eek:

WCS should never be more than 5-6 feet from the rim at all times, on offense and defense!

I was never a fan. Last year he looked like he could be a decent rotation guy at best but nothing more...but i had my suspicions that he was merely some of Rajon Rondo's finest work and of course Karlball has been known to inflate stats. Even if he manages to reach the big 5 rebounds per game again...i'm not afraid to jump the gun and say we likely blew it last year. Kings drafted like a complete team that simply could use a big guy in the rotation. Like they were using a late first rounder...when a team like the Kings should have looked for more of a talent that could bud into potentially a star. They had to know they didn't have that in Willie. Even a guy like Mudiay...who is awful...likely still has decent trade value because there is still that raw talent..and hell, still that hope he can be a really good player in this league. Willie doesn't have a clue. The Derrick Williams haircut only rubs it in.

Im concerned.
Just a month ago we were talking like WCS was a major part of the Kings future or at least a major trade chip.

Last edited:
I was never a fan. Last year he looked like he could be a decent rotation guy at best but nothing more...but i had my suspicions that he was merely some of Rajon Rondo's finest work and of course Karlball has been known to inflate stats. Even if he manages to reach the big 5 rebounds per game again...i'm not afraid to jump the gun and say we likely blew it last year. Kings drafted like a complete team that simply could use a big guy in the rotation. Like they were using a late first rounder...when a team like the Kings should have looked for more of a talent that could bud into potentially a star. They had to know they didn't have that in Willie. Even a guy like Mudiay...who is awful...likely still has decent trade value because there is still that raw talent..and hell, still that hope he can be a really good player in this league. Willie doesn't have a clue. The Derrick Williams haircut only rubs it in.
Yep. He had to be birdfed by Rondo last year just to look like a serviceable scrub. You said it best, he looks like someone a good team drafts at the end of the first round...terrible value from a #6 overall pick.

A little step foward for Willie. Joerger didn't give him some minutes for no reason. His mobility really helped us in the pick&roll defense departement. He did a nice job showing and recovering back to his man.
Yes his rebounding and offense is still horrible and most likely we won't groom him into a star, but that's mainly Vlade's fault and not Willies. Willie didn't force the Kings to draft him that high.
Same goes for this years rookies. While other rookies are already playing and actively contributing to their teams success, we have no confidence at all in our draft picks, despite being a team, which desperately needs more overall talent.
Baldwin is already contributing. Chriss is contributing. We as Kings once again hope for next year, when Bogdanovic might decide to become a King.

This guy was on my unreadable list going into the offseason...now not so much. I knew his rebounding and scoring were a bit suspect, but his versatility on the defensive end and ability to run the floor were supposed to make up for that..,well he's doing none of that so what the hell exactly is this guy bringing to the table??

Glenn

Hall of Famer
This guy was on my unreadable list going into the offseason...now not so much. I knew his rebounding and scoring were a bit suspect, but his versatility on the defensive end and ability to run the floor were supposed to make up for that..,well he's doing none of that so what the hell exactly is this guy bringing to the table??
I have never had an unreadable list but I will put WCS on my first one. :) He has little if any offense although last year I thought in 4 years or so he might have a little jump shot. His short jump shot is not bad but will never become serviceable without practice. He has never been much of a rebounder, That perplexes me but perhaps what is, is. What WCS is a 7 footer who can out run anyone else on the floor. Rondo liked that. He is also very quick. He is intellectually very intelligent although that may have nothing to do with BBIQ. There is no playbook that says how to use a guy like Willie. It has to be determined. Hopefully Collison knows how to hit a 7 ft wide receiver. Hopefully Joeger doesn't give up.

Let me go back to the idea that there has never been a player like WCS before. That means a lot of trial and error like last night. I doubt if he belongs in the high post which is where he is now. On the other hand, maybe that's where he belongs. Joeger has more problems than WCS so WCS is not a high priority. Let's give him the full 4 years Ben was given.

Last edited:
I think the problem is that WCS got used to being used as a hybrid defender, who roams the whole floor, instead of staying near the lane and protecting the rim.

In the first 2 years at Kentucky, he averaged almost 3 blocks per game and then the coach started putting him on the perimeter to guard the Small Forwards and Guards... that has translated to the NBA, where he is constantly stuck in no mans land and just lost.

College is not the NBA.

We need to park WCS near the rim at all times and tell him your role is as a rim protector and rebounder. On offense, stay close to the rim for lob passes and put backs. On defense, you protect the rim and rebound.

If WCS can learn the role of a DeAndre Jordan or Joakim Noah (who also took a few years to figure it out), I think he can still be a valuable player in the rotation. His athleticism is still off the charts and needs to be better utilized.

It usually takes a few years for big men to figure things out. I am not that concerned at this point.

Last edited:
When he loses focus, his reaction time to the ball is poor. Couple this with poor boxing out and you get what you have. Needs to get to basic big man stuff. Worry about operating the high post in practice. Worry about ball possession in game.

When he loses focus, his reaction time to the ball is poor. Couple this with poor boxing out and you get what you have. Needs to get to basic big man stuff. Worry about operating the high post in practice. Worry about ball possession in game.
By focus do you mean low motor, and therefore an immutable trait? Or is focus a mental hurdle that you think can eventually be overcome?

K

KingMilz

Joerger was just on KHTK basically saying motor/playing hard are current issues with Willie
That's embarrassing if your a guy trying to make your way into the NBA and your biggest weakness is not playing hard that's a slap to the face of people who drafted you/coach you and support you. It's not like he's playing a ton of minutes or a bigger role where he has to conserve some energy either.......I just can't accept players not playing hard.

If this was the first time you watched WCS this year (SL/Preseason) you would not even know he's a good athlete how little effort he's put in, when was the last time he made a chase down block or ran hard for a transition dunk?

That he has the nerve to say before the season "no one out works me".......really?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joerger was just on KHTK basically saying motor/playing hard are current issues with Willie
Yeah, that sucks. Trade him or send him to the d league and give his minutes to Skall. We have to develop these players that want to play. I have always given Vlade the benifit of the doubt, but this WCS BS and drafting 3 1st round picks, none of which are getting playing time is inexcusable.

By focus do you mean low motor, and therefore an immutable trait? Or is focus a mental hurdle that you think can eventually be overcome?
Motor is a philosophical thing easier to reference than make tangible. Focus is at least a mental practice and thus addressable. Focus can be overcome. I think WCS focused on his offense and being viable in the high post rather than refining what he has before addressing the next building block of his career. Like Casspi when he first came into the league, he needs to realize where he will make his money in the NBA.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Whatever I may think of that personally, to a coach like Joerger teaching the grind, trying to change the culture, who's prone to calling a corrective timeout after every loose turnover or stupid selfish shot...that's got to be just unacceptable. Another reason to add a real ? over whether Willie is going to make it with this regime or be moved.

Don't want that to become a point of contention with Valde though. Vlade drafted the kid, and seemed to like him personally because he was more sophisticated than your average dumb jock. Ironically that sophistication/lack of focus/singlemindedness may be a problem.

As one of WCS's detractors, I don't think I've mentioned yet one of the things about him mentally that concerns me, but the root of it is here

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article56302670.html

As for his role with the Kings? Can’t limit his options there, either.

“Believe me, this will not be me for the rest of my career, just doing the dirty work, blocking shots, rebounding. If we shared the ball,” he said, smiling, shaking his head, “I could score 15 points a game.”

This summer when he was still bad on the boards and impact defensively, he continued talking about his expanding role on offense.

I think I've seen other quotes. Basically, I think he might not know his role in the league if he's going to make it, and thinks of himself as a potential offensive guy.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
As one of WCS's detractors, I don't think I've mentioned yet one of the things about him mentally that concerns me, but the root of it is here

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article56302670.html
As for his role with the Kings? Can’t limit his options there, either.

“Believe me, this will not be me for the rest of my career, just doing the dirty work, blocking shots, rebounding. If we shared the ball,” he said, smiling, shaking his head, “I could score 15 points a game.”

This summer when he was still bad on the boards and impact defensively, he continued talking about his expanding role on offense.

I think I've seen other quotes. Basically, I think he might not know his role in the league if he's going to make it, and thinks of himself as a potential offensive guy.
He said the same before the season was over last year but it actually seemed an appropriate comment back then. BACK THEN. :rolleyes: