Vlade injured

piksi

Hall of Famer
looks like he has some kind of neck injury. Will be out for 3 weeks. He got injured PRACTICING in LA training facility. That was really stupid move from Vlade. He never really practiced before in the off season. I do not know whose brillinat idea it was - but "teaching an old horse new tricks" routine backfired. Vlade will not practice for 3 weeks which will make him very upset. At least he proved a point - "peactice can kill you - hence do not do it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
There would be a certain irony if the Lakers again picked up an aging super-durable guy just in time for him to start to break down. But three weeks isn't really that severe at this point -- miss a couple of weeks of camp, but still have plenty of time to get ready for the season.

Now do we have any proof that he's REALLY hurt? This is Vlade we're talking about -- maybe he just didn't feel like doing preseason drills. ;)

here's the LA Times story and link

Instant karma's going to get you

http://www.latimes.com/sports/print...04123,print.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

Divac Injures Back, Could Miss a Month

Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times, 9-24-04

The Lakers, already thin at the center position, will lose Vlade Divac for up to a month after an MRI exam revealed a herniated disk in his back.

Divac, 36, was injured earlier this week during an informal on-court drill at HealthSouth Training Center. He will miss part, if not all, of training camp, which begins Oct. 5 in San Diego.

If Divac's injury persists, the Lakers face the prospect of starting 6-foot-9 forward Brian Grant or career reserve Chris Mihm for the regular-season opener Nov. 2 against the Denver Nuggets.

"It's hard to determine what effect it's going to have," Laker General Manager Mitch Kupchak said. "… We're going to try and treat it conservatively. We're hoping that in two or three weeks he'll be fine. If he's not, we'll look to the next step."

Divac signed a two-year deal with the Lakers in July after spending the last six seasons with the Sacramento Kings. He averaged 9.9 points each of the last two seasons.

Grant, who is bothered by tendinitis in his knees, averaged 8.7 points and 6.9 rebounds for the Miami Heat last season. The Lakers would prefer to play him at power forward.

Mihm, 25, was acquired last month in a trade that sent Gary Payton to the Boston Celtics.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think Brick got this one right. Another slick vet move from the wily one. Now he can skip training camp alltogether... Hating the Lakers is going to be so hard this year, but I am up for the task.

G

godsthename

lakers are retarded

they need to develop Stanislav Medvedenko, when shaq was out he did better than average. Plus hes more durable than grant and divac. Divacs the man but he shouldof stayed in sactown.

I suppose that's bad news for Lakers, but I don't think that it will make a lot of difference. I think that it might lead to Kobe criticizing Vlade as well if it turns out to be just a drama by Vlade. If he can call Shaq name I think that Vlade is going to have a tough time.:(

bibbyweb said:
I suppose that's bad news for Lakers, but I don't think that it will make a lot of difference. I think that it might lead to Kobe criticizing Vlade as well if it turns out to be just a drama by Vlade. If he can call Shaq name I think that Vlade is going to have a tough time.:(
Oh please. Kobe might be a lot of things but he has never been the type to criticize his teammates. Shaq just pushed him to far year after year and he eventually decided enough was enough. Vlade might be a chain smoker but other the past few seasons he has rarely missed a game.

thedofd said:
The Lakers, already thin at the center position, will lose Vlade Divac for up to a month after an MRI exam revealed a herniated disk in his back.
I'm sorry to hear that Vlade got injured. What really bothers me is that some people would go as far as suggesting that Vlade is faking an injury.

coolhandluke said:
I'm sorry to hear that Vlade got injured. What really bothers me is that some people would go as far as suggesting that Vlade is faking an injury.
Actually vlade has rarely missed any games at all so I think its sort of crazy to think he is faking this. MRI's don't lie.

Divac hurt himself on a spin move during an informal workout at the Lakers' training facility earlier in the week. Tests Thursday revealed the extent of the injury.
Spin move???

When did he add this to his arsenal.

piksi

Hall of Famer
Ryle said:
Spin move???

When did he add this to his arsenal.
he always had it but they were so slow that it was hard to distinguish.
If You have any tapes of him playing just play them in fast forward mode.

He's had some problems with a sore back at times during the last few seasons. Nothing that ever made him miss a game, but I can remember accounts from Grant Napear about Vlade having a sore back after tough games. I guess that spin move was The Straw that tweaked The Vlade's back.

Freakout said:
Oh please. Kobe might be a lot of things but he has never been the type to criticize his teammates. Shaq just pushed him to far year after year and he eventually decided enough was enough. Vlade might be a chain smoker but other the past few seasons he has rarely missed a game.
If i am not wrong there were comments from Kobe abt Shaq being fat and out of shape and stuff like that at the start of the last season. So if Vlade goes there with his smoking ways and not really wanting to work out and out of shape, I think that it might be fair to assume that he might get some words from Kobe or even some other teammates. I didn't really mean to imply anything abt Kobe. Not that I like or respect the pervert anyways.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
bibbyweb said:
If i am not wrong there were comments from Kobe abt Shaq being fat and out of shape and stuff like that at the start of the last season. So if Vlade goes there with his smoking ways and not really wanting to work out and out of shape, I think that it might be fair to assume that he might get some words from Kobe or even some other teammates. I didn't really mean to imply anything abt Kobe. Not that I like or respect the pervert anyways.
Personaly I would love to Vlade strike a match against the side of Kobe's Bentley to light up right after practice... I can just immagine the look on Kobe's face...ROTFL

bibbyweb said:
Pfft. Sex on the road and criticism of teammates, part and parcel of professional sports.

HndsmCelt said:
Personaly I would love to Vlade strike a match against the side of Kobe's Bentley to light up right after practice... I can just immagine the look on Kobe's face...ROTFL
Kobe actually rides a motorcycle to work. :eek:

Nice sig, btw. Love that movie.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Gargamel said:
Kobe actually rides a motorcycle to work. :eek:

Nice sig, btw. Love that movie.
Even better stricking a match across the tank of Kobe's Ducati (or what ever ero-bike he rides) would be awesome!
Thanks... Been in a Travis Bickel kind of mood these days.

Gargamel said:
What was that Eagles' song, something about life in the fast lane?
"Surely make you lose your mind"
among other things...great, now that's stuck in my head! :D I should probably go visit the "what are you listening to now" thread to post your song!

Umm...back to Vlade...I'm sure he had to pass a physical for the Lakers contract (wouldn't he?), so this had to be a new injury (or a recurring one). I feel bad for him (and as shocked as anyone else that Vlade was working out pre-camp a la Shaq in Miami). I've had a lower back disk herniation and I have no idea how you would play basketball with it, if it is severe, it's nearly impossible to stand for five minutes let alone run up and down a basketball court.

I'm not gloating but for the first time since he left, I'm glad he's not playing for the Kings this coming year.

It's hard to gloat, or hate him. He's done a lot for the franchise and (at least to me) it seems obivious that he was cut loose this off season. He was a team player and team leader, could he have been better? Yup. Could he have been worse? Hell, yeah! After all is said and done, the Lakers knew they were cutting Shaq loose, and of all the free agent centers, they chose Vlade. O-tag was still on the market and there were a ton of others, via free agency or trades, the Lakers could have tried for but they (apparently) didn't. I say apparently because they threw the roughly $10M two year contract at him early in the off-season.

I really had hoped to see him play another year or two with the Kings and then transition into some kind of coaching situation with the Kings but I don't see that happening now.

The way I feel about it is this; it's like loving an "in-law"...you're a little bit removed from the primary relationship but the guy is great and you love having him in the family. Then the divorce happens and you still have all these great feelings for the soon-to-be-ex. You don't quite know what happened but you feel bad for everyone. You still love the guy, and you haven't heard anything concrete as to why you shouldn't...seems like your relative "just wasn't happy anymore" with this great guy and your loyalties are torn...ya love your relative (the Kings franchise, in this case) but you don't really understand why "things had gotten so bad that this drastic divorce had to happen"...LOL...yeah, I know...I personalize too much! :D

So, I'm torn...I love my Kings and I love Vlade and I don't know why it all went south...the best I can come up with is: I wanted him to do well for the Lakers (except against the Kings or any other team that might threaten the Kings) and I feel bad about the stumble he's just taken. If his recovery isn't fast, then I see this as a career ending injury...and as somebody else posted, MRI's don't lie (although the PR guys reporting the results certainly can)!

The question, to my mind, would be: do the Lakers value Vlade enough to excuse him from 5 weeks of conditioning, familiarizing himself with his new team and their plays, and the pre-season games to lie about his injury? I don't know and I'm not smart enough to guess why that would be a smart move...maybe to save him and make him stronger towards the end of the season? :confused:

HndsmCelt said:
Even better stricking a match across the tank of Kobe's Ducati (or what ever ero-bike he rides) would be awesome!
Thanks... Been in a Travis Bickel kind of mood these days.
That's just all the incoming freshmen...it'll get better as soon as the non-devoted drop your classes!

My suggestion to help hasten their departure from your immediate vicinity would be to present your Travis Bickel imitation...as many times as needed until they're all gone! :)

Spoken from the heart of a former non-devoted freshman! LOL! Hey, the kids have lots of pressure coming from the home front too, maybe they have other interests they'd prefer to pursue but are still getting major parental pressure to do the things their parents didn't do! You know, the whole living vicariously through your kids syndrome? Either way, you'll survive...the NBA season starts soon (check Kingsgurl's sig for the exact number of days) and before you know it, the drop period will be over, the dumb asses will be gone, your days will be happier, and the Kings will (hopefully) entertain your evenings by playing well.

Sliantè, HndsmCelt!
KK!

:D
quick dog said:
During the practice, he may have overheard someone on the sideline mention that the cigarette machine was broken. He spun around to see if it was true.
doesnt anyone find this funny ?

heheheee i do

good 1

I feel bad for Vlade..... I can't sit here and say i am happy about his injury just because now he is a Laker and I don't really care. Vlade is Vlade and always will be... I like the guy and respect him. Having an injury like this is no fun at all. I wasn't able to walk for a week when my disk got injured.... The scary thing is that disk injuries like these can get complicated sometime and can require a surgery. I certainly hope NOTHING like this happens to him .......