Vlade being sued?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-vlade07.html

NBA star Vlade Divac has defaulted on a $1.4 million business loan intended for his charitable foundation, according to a lawsuit.

Chicago-based CIB Bank is demanding the balance due -- $677,080 plus interest -- on the 2003 loan given in Divac's name.

The money was delivered to the Group 7 Children's Foundation, a charitable group backed by Divac and other Serbian NBA players. When the loan was delivered, the group was based in Carmel, Ind., but it is now based in Chicago.

The lawsuit, filed in Cook County Circuit Court, claims Divac asked for the loan in June 2003 but hasn't paid on it since January, prompting the lawsuit.

CIB Bank attorneys declined comment, while Divac's attorney, Marc Fleischer, said he was not aware of the lawsuit. Group 7 directors also said they were not aware of the lawsuit.

Divac, one of the first Serbians in the NBA, is in his 15th year and will play for the Lakers this year.

The 36-year-old has played on two Yugoslavian Olympic teams.

He and Sacramento Kings player Peja Stojakovic are the primary supporters of Group 7, a division of Global Sports Marketing, which raises money for medical and educational programs in Serbia.

Federal records show the group did not raise money in 2002 and showed no assets. Divac has been recognized by many organizations for his charitable efforts.

How many millionaires get into financial trouble trying to help others?

Vlade is a great man. Now, if he could only make a six-inch lay-up.

quick dog said:
How many millionaires get into financial trouble trying to help others?

Vlade is a great man. Now, if he could only make a six-inch lay-up.
Its the effort that counts... if only he showed effort in paying the loan off. Maybe it slipped his mind with all his busy work OR maybe its his wifes job to pay the bills, etc. (Blame her?) :)

Vlade doesn't seem like a "detail" kind of guy to me. I suspect a lot of little things, like wedding anniversaries and overdue bills, slip through the cracks.

Kingsgurl said:
Yep, guess they didn't use any of it to pay off that loan.
Which doesn't mean that it didn't go towards helping children. It just means that, so far, it hasn't gone towards repaying a loan guaranteed by Vlade. I would imagine, there's a business manager/accountant somewhere who can/should explain why there has been a default on the loan.

kingskings! said:
Which doesn't mean that it didn't go towards helping children. It just means that, so far, it hasn't gone towards repaying a loan guaranteed by Vlade. I would imagine, there's a business manager/accountant somewhere who can/should explain why there has been a default on the loan.
I would imagine, knowing Vlade, and Alex (who runs Group 7) that it is most likely that the proceeds went precicely where they were supposed to, to help the children. It's a Non-Profit, so I am not surprised they didn't report one;)
Vlade signed on the line to procur the loan, doesn't mean I expect him to be the one writing the checks to pay it off. He should have Alex do it:p

Gargamel said:
Dis is so stink.
Yup, and no response from Vlade...daaaang, and the press had him when he announced he was bidding on a bottled water company (51%) in Serbia on Monday. Well, I guess that might have been a day too soon. :eek:

Kingsgurl said:
What do 'all those serbian NBA players' have to do with it?
Check this out...

The money was delivered to the Group 7 Children's Foundation, a charitable group backed by Divac and other Serbian NBA players. When the loan was delivered, the group was based in Carmel, Ind., but it is now based in Chicago.

kingskings! said:
Yup, and no response from Vlade...daaaang, and the press had him when he announced he was bidding on a bottled water company (51%) in Serbia on Monday. Well, I guess that might have been a day too soon. :eek:
I want to know if this is really on Vlade's shoulders alone or if it's due to some accounting mistake/embezzlement, etc. I'd sooner believe it was an ordinary snafu than something Vlade (and/or his partners) did malicioulsy.

update

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/10702700p-11621203c.html

Divac charity not linked to suit

By Clint Swett and Joe Davidson -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 2:15 am PDT Saturday, September 11, 2004

A charitable foundation co-founded by Vlade Divac has no connection to a lawsuit against the former Kings center over a delinquent $1.4 million loan, Divac and charity officials said Friday.

Divac and representatives of Group 7 Children's Foundation said the loan was a business loan.

The loan came to light last week when Chicago-based CIB Bank sued Divac in Cook County Circuit Court, alleging he had not paid on the $677,080 balance of the loan since last January.

Citing a Chicago Sun-Times story, The Bee reported Wednesday that Group 7 received proceeds from the loan. But Group 7 officials as well as Divac said the charity group had no link to the deal.

"There is absolutely no connection between the Group 7 Children's Foundation and the bank loan which is the subject of this lawsuit," Divac said Friday afternoon in a prepared statement.

"The loan is related to an independent business deal, and we are working with the bank to resolve the dispute. I'm proud to be associated with the Group 7 Children's Foundation. It has provided great material, moral and emotional support to the children of the former Yugoslavia."

Group 7 spokesman Todd Hansen blamed the link between the loan and his group on miscommunication. "It was misunderstood by the (Chicago Sun-Times) reporter about what the suit was about," Hansen said. "The suit had nothing at all to do with Group 7. I certainly know that Vlade's intentions are very good with Group 7."

The Sun-Times published a story Friday reporting Group 7's assertion that it had no connection with the loan.

Founded in 1998 by Divac and six other Serbian basketball players, Group 7 has been the focus of Divac's charitable work in Sacramento for several years. It is one of the main beneficiaries of an annual summer basketball camp he runs with Kings forward Peja Stojakovic.

Group 7 primarily funds medical help for children in the former Yugoslavia but also for American children, Group 7 spokesman George Grkinich said.

Wednesday's article in The Bee noted that 2002 federal tax records for Group 7 obtained from an online database show no income or expenditures.

But Alex Dimitrijevic, Group 7's co-director, said that in 2002 Group 7 funding was administered by another organization, the Central Indiana Community Foundation.

Megan Wiles, president of Legacy Fund, an affiliate of the Central Indiana group, confirmed Friday that Legacy had administered Group 7 funds between 1999 and 2002. She said Legacy disbursed about $75,000 for Group 7 in 2002. In addition, Dimitrijevic said, Group 7 paid out an additional $47,100 to charities from a different account in 2002.

The story was bogus as it related to the charity. The Chicago paper made the goof and other media outlets based their stories on Chicago's blunder. Hope it doesn't hurt Vlade's charity. Very unfortunate.