Tyrese Watch 2022-23

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Haliburton sitting on 25 while Pacers went thru Brogdon who was at 8 into the end of the fourth and he gave up the game w a bad turnover. Should expect the Pacers to try to move him but it will be tough. They owe Buddy & Brogdon a combined $100mm+ over the next 2+3 seasons after this one but that doesn’t necessarily conflict with the timelines for extensions to Tyrese and whoever they get this year
Turner is expiring next season too.

Feels like Tyrese has gotten worse and worse the longer he’s played for the Pacers.
Agreed, it seemed to have started when Malcolm Brogdon came back. When Tyrese is the clear #1, he thrived (like when Fox was out). When Brogdon came back to reclaim his #1 spot, Hali kinda of faded. Much like when he shared the back court with Fox. He seems to take a back seat and dials back his game to accommodate the more established alpha player.

What I don’t understand is when they lose, their fans say they’re trying to tank. But they aren’t “resting” key players and still giving buddy and brogdon more minutes vs youngs like Duarte and jalen smith. Doesn’t look like they’re trying to tank but honestly I don’t watch many of their games or know about the team.

What I don’t understand is when they lose, their fans say they’re trying to tank. But they aren’t “resting” key players and still giving buddy and brogdon more minutes vs youngs like Duarte and jalen smith. Doesn’t look like they’re trying to tank but honestly I don’t watch many of their games or know about the team.
Yeah tanking isn't playing Buddy/Brog/Hali, their 3 best players right now, 38+ minutes a night in competitive games.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
That's wild. I like Hali so I'm not being snarky but the "he plays great with everyone unlike Fox" thing not really looking like a great take rn.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's wild. I like Hali so I'm not being snarky but the "he plays great with everyone unlike Fox" thing not really looking like a great take rn.
I've been saying since before the Sabonis trade rumors started heating up that Haliburton is just a younger version of Brogdon. So, of course, Haliburton's production would go down when he has to share the court with Brogdon: they essentially have the same role in the offense. That's part of why I never really believed that there was going to be a Fox-for-Sabonis trade, whether it's true that McNair was trying to get rid of Fox or not, because that would have just made the Kings into a younger version of the Pacers team that already wasn't working.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
I've been saying since before the Sabonis trade rumors started heating up that Haliburton is just a younger version of Brogdon. So, of course, Haliburton's production would go down when he has to share the court with Brogdon: they essentially have the same role in the offense. That's part of why I never really believed that there was going to be a Fox-for-Sabonis trade, whether it's true that McNair was trying to get rid of Fox or not, because that would have just made the Kings into a younger version of the Pacers team that already wasn't working.
or would it have made the Pacers an older Kings? especially with Buddy (although would have to assume he'd not have been part of a Fox deal)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
or would it have made the Pacers an older Kings? especially with Buddy (although would have to assume he'd not have been part of a Fox deal)
It would have also made the Pacers an older version of the Kings, I just didn't feel the need to point that out on a Sacramento Kings message board; what do y'all care what happens to the Pacers?

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
It would have also made the Pacers an older version of the Kings, I just didn't feel the need to point that out on a Sacramento Kings message board; what do y'all care what happens to the Pacers?
I don't care about anything other than potentially drafting higher than them this year, so if they all wanna come out and have a revenge game Wednesday I'm ok with that.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
With Tyrese's shot regressing to the mean. (He's a great shooter but not 47% from three great like he was immediately after the trade), the Pacers are starting to just get absolutely throttled by other teams. I get that they're not exactly trying to win right now but they played an 8 man rotation and got blown out by 40 by the Raptors.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
With Tyrese's shot regressing to the mean. (He's a great shooter but not 47% from three great like he was immediately after the trade), the Pacers are starting to just get absolutely throttled by other teams. I get that they're not exactly trying to win right now but they played an 8 man rotation and got blown out by 40 by the Raptors.
They traded 1 all-star level guy and 2 rotation players for 1 potential all-star and 2 scrubs, one they promptly waived. So yeah, they may have had a little bit of a honeymoon period but they are 2-3 years away from 2-3 years away.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
They traded 1 all-star level guy and 2 rotation players for 1 potential all-star and 2 scrubs, one they promptly waived. So yeah, they may have had a little bit of a honeymoon period but they are 2-3 years away from 2-3 years away.
Yeah, but at least they're tanking for that 5th overall pick the right way!

I haven't kept up with Tyrese recently, but I just took a look at his shot attempts... they have not been good.

In his last few games, these have been his FGM-FGA:
  • 2-7
  • 4-9
  • 4-14
  • 4-8
  • 4-9
  • 2-10
I know he's only a 2nd year player, but he can't be this passive as a scorer. I think they need to surround him with some good vets to instill more confidence in him. I'm hoping all the "future All-Star" hype won't hinder his development.